Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    It looked like The Escape was bumped down because it had the slowest 0-60 time out of the group.

I noticed that too when I glanced at the performance data page. They have it doing 0-60 in over 10 seconds! I can't see how this is at all possible. Our '05 feels every bit as fast as our '02 which supposedly did 0-60 in less than 9 seconds. Something had to be terribly wrong during their tests. They must have had the A/C on or something.

If it was a value test and not a performance test, why not include the CR-V?

For that matter why not include the Kia Sorento? It's a little bigger than all of them but yet costs about the same.

And, like you said, where was the Liberty?

I'm a fan of the Equinox, sliding rear seats are a nice feature.

Yes, the sliding seats are nice. I agree.

I too was a fan of the Equinox when I first saw them. I drive by a Chevy dealer every day on my way to work and saw the first one's to arrive. As weeks passed by they started to pile up a little and lower end models began to rear their ugly heads. Without the bigger wheels/tires and other appearance stuff you only get on the LT trim it looks pretty dull if you ask me.

It's typical GM. You have to pay the big bucks if you want the one in the commercial. I hate that. Dodge is doing the same thing now with the Hemi models. $40k+ for a Durango? They can go pound salt.

FWIW, that aforementioned Chevy dealer has had the exact same red SSR sitting in their showroom for months. You can almost smell the pile of incentive cash that's about to be poured on it from the street outside. :)
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I haven't noticed de-contented Equinoxes around here. Probably just haven't looked close enough. I'll tell you what, I would take a low level Equinox over a loaded Malibu any day. I can't see how that car is going to sell to anyone but employees. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

There is a chartreuse Red Line VUE with ugly graphics that's been parked on display in front of the same Saturn dealer for about 10 months. Again, yuck, yuck...

I'd rather see 500 low level Equinoxes than 1 Aztek. Still lots of those around here, I see about 5-8 a day on my 30 mile round-trip commute.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I am sure your quick search also came up with post #876? I can go on and on showing you folks right out of this room that have paid more than your claimed $20,500 for a CRV EX AWD. This person gave a more than 20,500 offer and was REFUSED. Honda does not sell its vehicles for less than invoice. I know, anyone who has ever shopped Honda knows. I fell into the Honda hype once, never will I do it again. You pay more for Honda vehicles.
  • Options
    I knew this was going to hit this room. However, how can they test a redline VUE valued at thousands more than an XLT Escape and call it fair? Why didn't they test the Escape Limited?
    Hyundia, don't get me started on this ugly beast.. Someone wacked it enough with an ugly stick!
  • Options
    I'd rather see 500 low level Equinoxes than 1 Aztek.

Oh how true!

I would take a low level Equinox over a loaded Malibu any day.

Me too. Especially since the Malibu only comes with an ATX. If I'm buying a car it MUST be fun to drive. The Malibu does not come close to fitting that bill. However, I really can't say that I drove one, but I've also never read an article that stated otherwise.

The lower level Nox kind of has a CR-V LX/Escape XLS thing going on with smaller wheels/tires, no fog lights, etc. An AWD Nox LS starts at $23,535. At least with the V and the Escape you can get a better bargain. Price one of the latter models comparably to the base AWD Nox and the Nox starts to look like the rip-off of the century.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    so all Ford buyers pay the same for a particular model? What is with you in trying to cut down those shoppers who negotiate? It has been shown so many times that various buyers purchase at various pricepoints. Why can't you move on? If you can't, take the time you use to write posts here and call the dealerships mentioned throughout "CR-V Prices Paid" and verify that those people paid those prices. Just get past this and let new shoppers here at Edmunds who possibly want to compare these two models do just that. They are looking at more than price.
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    The point is (hammer, hammer, hammer) that people HAVE paid $20500 (or less) for a CR-V. Of course people have paid more. But that's not the point.

Like the other poster said, accept it and move on.
  • Options
    How can an Escape that costs thousands more be compared to a CR-V? Yet that's what's done here everyday. And when the professionals do it, the CR-V wins.

Also, I don't think syling figures in to the MT comparison. And why do you ask again why they didn't test the XLT? It was answered in the other forum and you were told it wouldn't effect the rankings.
  • Options
    how the Escape outsells the CRV by 20,000 units and stays the sales leader... Can everyone of those thousands upon thousands of people be wrong? If the Escape was such an unreliable, poor quality vehicle, then why after 4 years does it remain a sales leader? Don't you think word would have gotten around by now?
    The fact is Ford/Mazda did a great job with this mini-ute and people are liking it....
    Now I am going to hear the same old story of rental vehicles making up 50 percent of the sales right Honda fans??
  • Options
    Incentives. Employee sales. Big fat leases.
  • Options
    Who has said the Escape is an "unreliable, poor quality vehicle"?

We have been discussing price and features, etc.

And it has been mentioned many times how much bigger a dealer network Ford has as compared to Honda. It has been mentioned many times how domestics have a built in sales advantage over imports.

What's the breakdown of 4 cylinder vs. V6 sales for the Escape? For whatever reason many people want a V6 in their sport wagon (to use the above referenced article's term). They won't consider a CR-V.

The Escape is the sales leader. It's just not as good a value as the CR-V when the two are comparably equipped.
  • Options
    Maybe to you.. drive62, not to me. Escape offers more for less than a CRV. I have given you prices and dealerships to prove it. You have given me not one dealership, not one VIN#.. only quotes from here at Edmunds..
    icvi.. and once again here we go with incentives and leases and the rentals jargon again. This is the only reason Ford Escape/Tribute outsell the CRV.. blah, blah, blah... Ever thought maybe people prefer the Escape to the CRV?? or the Escape is the better vehicle that suits more peoples needs?? wow! another concept....
  • Options
    If it isn't incentives and jingoistic values, why doesn't the Tribute do as well as the Escape?

Here are the reasons I see -

1 - Incentives are usually better on the Escape.

2 - Those who want a Japanese car view the Tribute as a Ford and those who want a Ford view it as a Japanese car.

3 - Dealer network.

Quality of the vehicle has very little to do with it. IMO the same is true of the Escape and CR-V.

Many Americans won't even consider the CR-V as it is Japanese. That has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle at all

Honda doesn't offer huge incentives, or have a work force and a supplier base nearly as large as that of Ford.

Honda doesn't have near the dealer network of Ford.

I'm not saying Ford should be looked down upon for those strengths, I'm merely saying that implying one vehicle is better than another based upon sales is a paper thin argument.

Give it up.
  • Options
    You are wrong. A CR-V configured the same as an Escape (nearly impssible though) will cost less. I've shown it several times. Reread the posts you didn't read the first time.

You have NOT given me any decent information about Escape pricing. I gave it to you. You have posted incorrect information about the vehicle you own and support many times. You post a price for a FWD vehicle and compare that to an AWD CR-V. You post info about the vehicle that is impossible (16" tires on the 4 cyl. etc.). You don't have the facts. I do.

The CR-V is a better value.
  • Options
    jws48jws48 Member Posts: 8
    or all choices would be made on that basis. Dealer network mattered to me. Relocating to this area with a Toyota in 1991 and finding the nearest dealership 55 miles away has kept me from buying another Toyota since then. The nearest Honda dealership is 65 miles. If you go to the Ford site and configure an Escape, then go to Mazda and configure a Tribute - you find significant differences in "packages" - I did not want a sunroof, but did want the 6 CD changer. I really like the all gloss black appearance of our 2005 Escape Limited - and got it with everything except the sunroof. Could have bought a 2004 and got $1,500 more in rebate, but it is not a better value if it is not what I want. Honda simply didn't offer the option combination I wanted and is not close enough for convenience. I can drop my Escape off on the way to work - would need to take a day off to get a Honda, Toyota, Mazda, or other non-US brand serviced. That makes a difference to me.
  • Options
    Were you comparing 4 Cylinder vehicles? The CR-V can be had with many items you can't even get on the 4 cyl.Escape. Since you didn't want a sunroof that ruled out the CR-V EX so I can see your point to a degree. But the extra you pay for that trim line sure gives you a lot and you don't have to deal with option package A-Z like Ford. If you were looking at 6 cylinders then of course the Honda won't have what you want.

If anyone doesn't understand why Ford has a built in sales advantage due to it's larger dealer network. Here is a perfect example. And being in Michigan--you better buy a Ford ;-).

My point is that when similarly equipped the CR-V costs less. I'll leave it up to the purchaser to decide whether that makes the CR-V a "better value".
  • Options
    norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    Below is NHTSA data for 2003.

CRV Frontal 5,5, Side 5,5, Rollover 3
    Escape Frontal 5,4, Side 5,5, Rollover 3

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/Cars/2003SUVs.html

Below is IIHS safety data

CRV Side Marginal, Frontal Good
    Escape Side Good, Frontal Marginal
    2005 have acceptable for Frontal. You need the side air bag option to get "good" for side impact.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0307.htm
    http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0310.htm
  • Options
    FYI the CR-V was not tested with it's optional side airbags.
  • Options
    FYI the CR-V was not tested with it's optional side airbags.

Correct but don't expect much improvement as the CR-V only offers torso bags as opposed to the head and torso bags of the older Escape.

The '05 Escape hasn't been side tested with the new safety canopy either.

Interesting story. My wife called me in to the living room last night so I could watch Dateline's report on crash tests. They tested the new Subaru Legacy. IIRC all Subaru's did very well in crash tests before and the new Legacy was no exception in most cases.

Strangely enough they had to test it twice because the first copy they tested had what appeared to be an air curtain malfunction. The dummy was pretty much dead after the impact. Subaru discovered that the SACs were installed BACKWARDS and issued a recall.

The second one that was tested had the bags installed the right way and the dummy's head was protected rather well by them. However, the lower structure of the car gave quite a bit and was said to have caused serious internal injuries to the dummy.

I have no real point but I was bored and thought I'd share that with all of you because I thought it was pretty funny. Good thing no one had to discover the SAC problem the hard way.
  • Options
    You mean they improved on this?

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0105.htm#4

Take a look at that buckling A-Pillar. Yikes. Hard to tell from that rating if they improved that aspect.
  • Options
    jws48jws48 Member Posts: 8
    because they both offer a lot of extras. I'd admit the larger dealer network was the driving factor (plus I could not get the 6 cyl EX without a sunroof). There are lots of foreign name plates on the roads in this part of MI, it was just a matter of convenience - plus I've had very good experience with previous Ford products. The other advantage with Ford is I can order exactly the equipment and color desired and generally get it 4 - 6 weeks, don't need to "find one" somewhere that is "close to what I want" - or loaded with distributor or dealer add ons for margin. If there was a Honda dealer within 30 miles of me - it could very well have been a CRV in the drive instead of the Escape - convenience counts.
  • Options
    The '05 did improve in that test.

FWIW Ford did "explain" the buckling A-pillar here http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=106&press_subsection_id=424&make_id=92. It was supposedly designed to do that so more of the impact would be absorbed into the structure. Maybe it was a good thing, maybe it wasn't. All I know is that they did stiffen the structure so the A-pillar doesn't bend as much in the '05's and now the Escape, like many others before it, is a greater danger to those who get hit by one.

We all know the good that comes out of these crash tests. But we tend to forget that making structures stiffer so they can compete in these tests puts the people being hit in even greater danger. That's one BIG drawback that I can think of.
  • Options
    I'm confused. The CR-V doesn't have a 6 cylinder, whether in EX trim or not.

Sounds like you wanted a 6 cylinder vehicle. Obviously the CR-V isn't the choice.

I agree that ordering a Ford (or other domestic and even a Toyota) should get you exactly what you want. But that's not for me. When I ordered a Chevy a lifetime ago it seemed like the vehicle had been cobbled together. You could see where they pulled this out to replace it with that. I think it's a myth that they actually build it to your spec.

Honda does it right IMO. Trim lines with very few options. Also it's kind of hard to find a CR-V with a ton of extras as there aren't that many, espcecially in the EX trim. Pinstripes and similar that a dealer may add would be added to any vehicle they sell, not just a Honda.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "...don't expect much improvement as the CR-V only offers torso bags as opposed to the head and torso bags of the older Escape."

Not for long...

gotj "2005 Honda CR-V?" Jul 26, 2004 10:49pm
  • Options
    I thought I read that Honda was offering SACs on all models starting sometime soon. I guess it's next year then?
  • Options
    and this is what Ford offers its customers. You can special order an Escape with about any option you want, or can get on a CRV at that! drive62 you are spreading incorrect information once again. You can order a 4cyl Escape with 4wheel disc brakes or a sunroof.. you are wrong in saying you cannot get this on a 4cyl Escape...
    The Crashtests prove the Escape is not unsafe as some wish to try to imply. Anyone have any pics of a CRV engine fire?? Looks like this is spreading like wildfire on the net.. doesn't look too good for the CRV sales..
    Drive62, once again I will post Escape sales ads in this Friday/Saturday paper. I will give you prices, vin#'s and phone numbers to each Dealership. This is a whole lot more than what you gave me! NOTHING. The fact is you cannot buy a CRV-EX for your claimed $20,500 out the door price....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a pic (or was) over in the CR-V board dating from when the news first got released.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Drive62, once again I will post Escape sales ads in this Friday/Saturday paper. I will give you prices, vin#'s and phone numbers to each Dealership. This is a whole lot more than what you gave me! NOTHING. The fact is you cannot buy a CRV-EX for your claimed $20,500 out the door price....

I don't think Drive62 ever claimed that is was OTD. Selling price at $20,500 that posters you can follow up with. They can even give you how much tax they paid on top of the selling price. Drive62 and I have both given you plenty of information on selling prices at and below invoice and you cannot move on. So... search for Philadelphia Inquirer - last Sunday's paper. Conicelli in Conshohocken, PA. Advertised last Sunday.

Then PLEASE move on. Let others see comparisons, not whatever it is that keeps you stuck on this one issue. There are some people that want to compare the Ford and the Honda. Let them, and if price is a deciding factor for them, let them see each suv's "Prices Paid" board for more extensive research.
  • Options
    So you can get a 4 cylinder Escape with a moonroof (or sunroof to use your term)? You better tell Ford that because their website (linked below) says the following for the XLS trim, which is the 4 cylinder model.

"power moonroof with shade" "NA on the XLS trim."

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Suvs/escape/features/

As for the 4 wheel disc brakes. On this link it gives specs for each trim line.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Suvs/escape/features/

Can you see the XLS trim where it says for brakes "ABS standard, Power Front Disc, Rear Drum"? Where does it say 4 wheel disc is an option? 4 wheel disc is an OPTION when you get 4WD. Remember we are talking about a 4 cylinder Escape. Now this is where I get confused. It says 4WD is standard on XLS. I don't think that is true. So if 4WD is an option for the XLS then I suppose 4 wheel discs are an option as well. So if someone else can straighten out that confusion I'll agree with you.

Maybe some of this information isn't correct. If so, that is Ford's issue. Not mine.

If you think ordering options is the way to go that is your perrogative. I prefer the Honda way. Trim lines with very few options. Simplifying production is one of the benefits. That must be why Ford's cost per vehicle is so much higher.

Your obsession with this pricing issue is nauseating. Yep, it's my agenda to lie about what people pay for the CR-V. LOL. $20500 has been paid (and probably lower). $20700 has been paid. $23000 has been paid. And many prices in between. All before taxes I assume. As bshel pointed out I never said anything about OTD (reading IS fundamental). To quote prices OTD is ridiculous IMO.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good points - and price often is hard to correlate with value.

Unfortunately people have been talking past each other in here for months and the helpful comparison posts tend to get buried in the dross.

Not sure what we can do about it; a start would be to ignore posts that don't interest you and scroll down to the next one.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    You are claiming I ignore or don't read your posts. I said "order" not go to the Ford web site and check. If you walk into a dealership sit down with a salesperson and custom "order" you can get an Esape about anyway you want. And, you won't pay a preimium price, nor have to wait 6months to get it as you would with Honda..
    This CRV fire deal is all over the internet... I would say this is another big black eye for Honda..
  • Options
    You do not comprehend. The 4 cylinder Escape can't be had with certain items. Not even when ordered. At least two times I mentioned that the 4 cyl. Escape does not have a moonroof. Whether ordered or not. Do you understand that? I certainly hope you don't mean aftermarket because that is irrelevant.

Who waits six month for a Honda? You are so off the wall it is ridiculous. Someone just paid $20800 for a loaded CR-V EX with auto transmission. Yeah that sounds like a premium price. But I'm sure according to you they lied.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "just paid $20800 for a loaded CR-V EX with auto transmission."

Well, to be brutally honest, there isn't really any such thing as a "loaded" CR-V EX, since they all come with the same options...
  • Options
    there isn't really any such thing as a "loaded" CR-V EX, since they all come with the same options...

Sure there is. But you have to have the dealer screw or stick the extra items on to your EX for a substantial fee. What's not to like about that! :)
  • Options
    As opposed to the factory screwing them on for an extra fee...
  • Options
    I was quoted a price of $75/hour plus the price of the parts by a Honda dealer back in 1996 to add some extras to our old Civic. Needless to say I didn't go for them. One of them was ABS. $400+ for the system and the labor was extra. For comparison, it's usually about $400 from the factory. Even back then.

You used to have to have the dealer add things like lower body cladding, fog lights, roof rack and/or roof rack crossbars, trailer hitch, etc. to the CR-V. If you want to make one comparable to an Escape XLT, minus the V6 of course, you must add those things at the dealer. It ain't cheap!

Having those added at the factory is most likely a lot cheaper because it is faster.
  • Options
    The way Honda way makes sense for them. It keeps the dealers happy and their pockets lined. I wish Mazda did it like that.
  • Options
    You are 100% correct. I guess I should have said an EX which is loaded (with features).
  • Options
    When I bought my first Honda I started looking at the DX trim. It was spartan. Would have had to add A/C and radio. Moved up in trim. Made sense. Easy. Didn't have to order this or that.

Most imports including Mazda used to be that way. Options were port or dealer installed. Honda holds on but even they've deviated a bit.
  • Options
    I spoke directly to a Ford dealer/sales person and the Fleet Manager. He brought up a list on his computer to "order" vehicles from the factory. I asked him if I could order an Escape 4cyl with sunroof and 4wheel disc brakes. His response was "sure".... So.. Where are you getting your information that the Escape cannot be ordered this way? Don't tell me the internet because you need to go into a Ford dealership and just ask. Ford is known for its ability to be flexible and give people what they want and don't want on a vehicle. Choice is nice.... Honda doesn't offer choice.. take it or leave it...
  • Options
    Sounds like the Ford website is poorly designed.

Let's hope they build the cars better than their websites...

Or perhaps it is available to fleet orders but not the general public?
  • Options
    It costs money to add and remove features from cars. That's the bottom line.

If you build all vehicles the same (same colors, same radio, same interior, same wheels, etc.), then the car is cheaper to build. The assembly lines are less complicated, they don't have to stop to be retooled, and the workers make fewer mistakes.

If you take a production line with no variations and you start making changes, you add cost, complexity, and a larger margin of error. That's why Honda can offer moderate to high levels of content in their vehicles, yet keep the prices reasonable. And they still make a profit.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    our escape limited has just over 4k miles on it. last 2 tanks of gas have been 22 mpg. not trying to save gas. wish it had the autolocking doors and keypad entry.
    i don't like the side hinged rear access on the crv.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    I'm pretty sure the Ford dealer is lying. You can't truly custom order a car from any of the major automakers - only Bentleys, Rolls, and the like.

All Fords, Chevys, etc. have specific options that are available for each trim level. They normally do not make cars that deviate from their defined configurations - whether these cars are ordered or not. 4-wheel disc brakes are standard on 4WD Escapes at XLT trim and above. They are not available, even as an option, on any FWD Escape.
  • Options
    According to Ford a sunroof is not available as well. Yes from the internet. Where else.
  • Options
    Why not order a manual tranny in your Limited?
  • Options
    Even when manufacturers do offer "published" options, many of them are impossible to come by. Toyota is good for this. The brochure may say that you can get vehicle X with ABS, and not the upgraded radio (or some such package), but reality dictates otherwise. Just about every car that makes it to the dealer's lot is one of three or four combinations of the most popular packages.

One of the best that I recall was the base Forester back in 1998. This vehicle appeared as an option in their brochures, but it was never sold in the USA. I'm told they cancelled the entire trim level, but the brochures still made it to the dealers.

As for Scape's salesman... Bait and switch. Dealers will offer you anything over the phone. Actually getting what you order is another story.
  • Options
    "our escape limited has just over 4k miles on it. last 2 tanks of gas have been 22 mpg. "

Was that in town, highway, or mixed?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    i would term the miles mixed. mostly trips of less than 15 miles, state and interstate highway. includes a big hill(a mile?) where i lock out o/d. usually driver and maybe a passenger. mostly sunroof and windows open, sometimes closed up with a/c on. not stop and go city miles.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert