Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,755
    please list the 'tons of recalls' for those of us who don't know what they are for.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    But not that many compared to other Ford cars and trucks.

'86-95 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, and Lincoln Continental

Corrosion from road salt could make subframes drop, suddenly making the car very hard to steer.

Models: 2.7 million cars made 10/85-6/95, including '86-95 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable and '88-94 Lincoln Continental. Recall affects vehicles sold or currently registered in Conn., Del., D.C., Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Ky., Maine, Md., Mass., Mich., Minn., Mo., Neb., N.H., N.J., N.Y., Ohio, Pa., R.I., Vt., Va., W.Va., and Wis.

'93 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable

Front coil springs could corrode, break, and puncture tire.

Models: 281,000 cars made 8/92-7/93, registered in Conn., Del., Ill., Ind., Iowa, Ky., Maine, Md., Mass., Mich., Minn., Mo., N.H., N.J., N.Y., Ohio, Pa., R.I., Vt., W.Va., and Wis.

'95 Ford Mustang and Taurus, and Mercury Sable

Problem: Engine cooling fan could overheat, melt, and cause fire under hood.

Models: 695,260 Taurus and Sable cars with 3.0- and 3.8-liter engine and Mustangs with 3.8- and 5.0-liter engine made 4/94 to 8/95.

'97 Ford Taurus and Windstar and Mercury Sable

Problem: Transmission fluid could leak onto hot catalytic coverter, causing fire hazard.

Models: 100,000 vehicles made 11/96-3/97.

'00 Ford Taurus and Excursion, and Mercury Sable

Headlamp switch knob could break and come off, making it difficult for driver to turn on lights.

Products: 74,000 vehicles made 10/99 to 12/99.

'00-02 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable with adjustable brake and accelerator pedals

Problem: Inadequate spacing between the brake pedal and accelerator pedal could cause driver to step on the wrong pedal or both pedals at once, increasing the risk of an accident.

Models: 424,164 cars made 5/3/99 to 9/14/01. Beginning in model year 2000 for the Taurus and Sable, Ford made available adjustable brake and accelerator pedals that allow the driver to move the pedals closer or farther away.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Where did you get these from?
    Take a look at MSN reliability data it says just the opposite. Plus the word "could" is mentioned..
    00-02 Taurus pedals?? step on wrong one?? what the?? Headlamp switch knob? road salt could?? please icvi.. These are all COULD.... Ford is covering themselves...
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Scape, every recall is a "could" scenario.
    The Honda Bible of course! The Old Testament of new Ford problems. LOL

Consumer Reports.
    that ford could sell that poc taurus for like more than 15 years! :) do you know anyone who actually had the subframe drop, spring explode, etc...?
    my sister in law had the tranny in her crv fail at 40k. it lived in fla for 4 years. you can't get any easier driving than that.
    Is that anyone would buy the current Taurus that is essentially the same car that's been on the road since 96. Especially with the choices that are currently available in that segment.

Talk about lemmings.
    toyota has had to drop the price of a camry (best seller) down to get near a taurus. maybe those t(au)rex (dinasours :)) aren't as bad as some people think they are.
    the only reason i am postng what comments i do make, is that reliability and resale are not the be all - end all of owning a vehicle.
    for example, i cannot get comfortable in toyota seats; so why, if i have another choice, would i want to be uncomfortable every single time i drive?
    Figured Ford couldn't cover it up forever... eh Scape. Nice try though.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/business-- 2/108187885243930.xml
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Yeah, I already posted that in the other Escape threads but didn't here because it seems that no one is complaining about it in here anymore. The NHTSA has been investigating this issue for over two years now. Apparently they had a hard time duplicating it too.

I for one am glad that they finally came up with a real solution to this problem because it has happened to us twice, and to countless other owners as well. However, I never saw it as being a big issue because you never lose complete control of the vehicle, just the power steering and brake assist, and it starts right back up.

After hearing what everyone else had to say about it I was amazed at how many people really don't know anything about cars. You'd think the engine fell out and the wheels fell off! :) It was a big deal to them and someone had to do something about it.

It's the first recall for the 2002 and 2003 and hopefully the last. How many is that for the 2001's? Five or six?
    What was the problem? Will it affect the Tribute too?
    Some Escape/Tributes with the V6 were prone to stalling without notice. Most of the time it was while travelling at about 35-40 mph and coasting down a hill or grade. Basically the engine would just quit and you would lose power steering and brake assist. Kind of like coasting down a hill in neutral with the engine off or if you've ever driven an early eighties Chevette you know the feeling. :)

It was always a surprise to the driver because there is no warning and all of the other electrical accessories kept working as normal. i.e. if you didn't see the warning lights come on, you didn't know anything was wrong until you tried to turn the wheel or brake.

Over the past couple of years stories have been posted all over Escape/Tribute boards of what dealers and Ford have been doing to try and alleviate the problem. They've had a hard time with it because it is pretty much impossible to duplicate in the real world. PCM's were reflashed, parts were replaced, all with little success. The problem kept coming back.

Sometime towards the end of 2002 new owners suddenly stopped posting about their first stall. Apparently Ford and/or Mazda figured out what was wrong and implemented it into production shortly after MY 2003 began. I guess the rest of us are finally going to share that wealth now.

One thing we've all noticed is that the V6 models seemed to idle a little too low. So much so that when you let off of the gas after accelerating the tach needle would dip almost to the zero pin at times. If it happened to hit the zero pin, you stalled. It is an infrequent occurance, in a lot of cases the stalls were separated by years, but no doubt a problem. Downright scary for some folks.

The recall calls for a PCM re-flash to fix it for good. What the flash will do is not public yet, but I don't think anyone will care what it does just as long as it works. ;)

IIRC varmint's theory for the cause of the stall, back when we were discussing the issue on this thread, was a transmission hiccup. I still think it was some bad code and hope the programmer who wrote it is long gone. I'm curious to see what the flash does because either one of us can still be right. (I'm not trying to make this a contest. I just like solving mysteries. :) )
  • zeenzeen Posts: 391
    Is this stalling a problem in the 05's as well or have they corrected it by now?
    Kind of like coasting down a hill in neutral with the engine off or if you've ever driven an early eighties Chevette you know the feeling. :)

The exact same feeling can be had with a 1986 Civic CRX HF while driving through the Smokey Mtns. Thank god it was just me and my dog. I can't imagine what it would have been like with another 100+ pounds.

I'm glad they found a fix for the stalls. I know my wife would panic. And I probably would the first time too depending on the situation.
    It only happens in 2001's through early 2003's. Your 2005 should be just fine.
    I'm betting on my "transmission hiccup" theory.
    What was my "transmission hiccup" theory?
    Something about lock-up during engine deceleration.

Were you drinking that day? ;)
    there is no doubt this stalling issues has been happening in Escape/Tribs, I would still like to see just how many out of the over 300,000 Escapes actually did stall. I know 2 other people, one has an 02 another an 01 like mine. All three of us have not had this experience. I am still willing to bet the percentage is very low.
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    Better to have engine stall than fire.
    But even better to have none :-).
    I honestly don't recall that theory. Maybe I should be drinking?

This is my best guess. With an automatic transmission, there is a torque converter that locks up somewhere between 30 and 40 mph. During deceleration (no gas), the transmission actually helps drive the engine. This keeps the engine revs up. When the torque converter let's go, it allows the engine to rev freely (or stop revving). The sudden drop in revs might cause a stall.

Is that it?
    In a letter sent to NHTSA in May 2002, Mazda said the engine stalling didn't present "an unreasonable risk to motor safety." At that time, Mazda said it had received 2,087 reports of stalling and that accidents resulted in three cases.

Two thousand reported stalls on the lower (MUCH lower) volume Tribute.
    varmint,
    That sounds about right. It was a long time ago though.

"2,087 stalls !! WOW!"

I wouldn't go by those numbers either. We stalled twice and I reported it to the NHTSA both times. I've heard of others who reported multiple times as well. Their numbers may be high too unless Mazda stripped away the duplicate VIN numbers. Which I doubt.

I don't think the percentage is high either, but I still do believe that all V6 Escape/Tributes from those production lots do have the potential to stall given the right set of circumstances.

Ford and the NHTSA are finally doing the right thing by recalling all of them. They probably could have picked a better time though. Bad press for the Escape name at the same time you're trying to get people to buy the unproven hybrid version? Not a good idea. They should have recalled them a year ago.
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    Yes, some people reported every stall, which is good thing to do. But IMO there are lots of people who did NOT by some reason. It's like "most rapes go unreported" :-).
    would report a stall. Beings I have been labled a "Ford spoksperson" by some. Others can also be labled as "Honda spokespersons"....
    Are the 2000 reported to Mazda model years 01 and 02? Are any duplicates?
    I am still a true believer and a Honda fanatics worst nightmare. An Escape owner with about 40,000 trouble free miles on my 01 Escape. My also knowing 2 other owners that have not had any problems with thiers. 3 for 3, Hmmmm... With all the rumors and ranting about how unreliable the Escape/Tribute are this makes me wonder, are all 3 of us just lucky? Don't think so..
    Notice you din't mention the 600,000 Honda vehicles being recalled for transmission issues here in the U.S.....Go to the Escape/Tribute problems board and take a look at the link... For some reason I cannot get it to copy over to here....??
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    Those are the heavier trucks, ODY, Pilot, MDX, not the CR-V. I'm glad they finally go to the bottom of the mysterious Odyssy transmission problems, which cropped up occaisionally...
    Those recalls aren't on the CR-V. I only posted those for the Taurus because I was asked to.

Your insinuation that you can't get the link to work here for any reason other than your own lack of ability is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!

Comon! If we posted every recall, Ford's list would be ten times Honda's. I know, I know, it's a big conspiracy, the American media is out to make American cars look bad. And only recalls for the Big2.5 get any press...what was the logic behind that again?

OH YEAH! AND HONDA HIDES EVERYTHING...LOL!

Blither, blither, blither...