Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    And thought she honed in on what a "typical" buyer in NA wants - lots of hp. I got the impression that the horses carried the day for the Escape. That and less plastic I guess.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I wrote that your standard for reliability was lower than mine. You (and perhaps Baggs) wrote back claiming that I had called all of your standards into question. I wrote one thing, you stretched it to mean a bunch of other things. That's what it means to be "putting words in my mouth".

So do you base your judgement of the quality of the CRV soley on what a few publications say?

Nope. Do you read my posts or just look for sound bites? I've already explained that I use several. I do use publications, personal experience, manufacturer reputations, and word of mouth. The difference is that I value the stats more than the highly unreliable personal experience, reputations, and word of mouth.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    "CR's numbers are based upon their driving of the vehicle on real roads, not an EPA estimate I was just using real world data"

On our last vacation, 3 extra PSI in each tire yielded 26 MPG. Is that real enough for you? CR tested one new copy. I'm sure all of us Escape owners can vouch for the poor gas mileage the thing gets before properly broken in. I know I can.

"Baggs, you said that the insurance money you saved off set the money I saved in gas.

I'm saying it isn't just a money saving benefit for me, it was a planet saving decision."

If you would have worded it like that at first all would be well. Personal attacks and name calling directed toward other forum members is never going to lead to positive things.

"Nice attitude. Talk about poor judgment.

If you don't get it now, all the explaining in the world won't help.

Part of the problem, not the solution.

Pretty sad."

Lighten up a little. We can still walk if all else fails. Life will go on.

Honda must be making a killing off of people like you.

"Which part of the Escape lends itself to being "more fun" than the CR-V? The playful yellow paint?"

Ours is silver, so I can't vouch for the yellow. Sorry. Actually both are pretty much even when it comes to performance. You can take the Escape in some places that the CR-V won't go (not many though) because of the 4X4 option. I could use it to pull small shrubs, trees, bushes, etc. out of the ground which can be kind of fun sometimes. The way you get pinned to the seat back during a passing maneuver is always entertaining.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    It was prefaced with an apology. I am wondering when it will sink in. We have gone around and around with the MPG thing and every time it comes back to money or convenience with you. There was a time not to long ago you said that you didn't care about the MPG cause your bigger tank offset the range.

It was then as in numerous posts before (more than I care to find or account for) that I(we) said to you that the MPG and green rating for the CR-V wasn't about a convenience for us but, a conscience decision to purchase a cleaner vehicle.

How is it Honda would make any more of a killing off of me than Ford would off of you? I'd think the company that makes the car that lasts 20 years makes less on me than Ford would on you.

It's not about having to walk. I'm sure you said that in jest...right? We use petroleum for a heck of a lot more than just vehicles.

Anyway, I'm sorry for calling you a fool. I believe your attitude is foolish and, quite a problem in this wasteful country. I'm not a tree hugger. But, I'm not going to live my life as if my decsions don't effect our planet and our future.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    "We have gone around and around with the MPG thing and every time it comes back to money or convenience with you."

It's not just me. Leave those references out please. That's my point.

"There was a time not to long ago you said that you didn't care about the MPG cause your bigger tank offset the range."

That's right, and that's all I care about. I want to know how far I can go on a tank of gas. I already showed how many miles my wife and I drive in a year. Isn't that good enough? The average for one vehicle is 12,000 (maybe 15,000?)miles per year in this country. We're only driving about 16,000 combined!

Maybe if we drove more I'd care more. Until then I'm going to keep on driving whatever makes me happy and not worry about how "bad" it is for the future. I'm still using less gas than most of the people in NA. So what's the problem again?

"Anyway, I'm sorry for calling you a fool. I believe your attitude is foolish and, quite a problem in this wasteful country. I'm not a tree hugger. But, I'm not going to live my life as if my decsions don't effect our planet and our future."

There's no need to apologize. I'm not offended. Just realize that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Hell, I even watched, in part, some show about gasoline on the History Channel the other day. It was quite interesting. Part of the show was spent introducing the viewer to new technologies that will greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the demand for gasoline in the future. They were sure to mention that we'll probably be using gasoline for a long time to come, but not forever.
    That's pretty contrary to everything I've been taught in my life. Pretty scary too. From as early as I can remember I was told just because someone else was doing something didn't give me a right to do it too. I will never justify my actions as correct because everyone else is doing it. Nazi Germany is a good enough example. Extreme but, it get's the point across.

Maybe if we drove more I'd care more. Until then I'm going to keep on driving whatever makes me happy and not worry about how "bad" it is for the future. I'm still using less gas than most of the people in NA. So what's the problem again?

Congrats. That works out well for you and, as it turns out, for the planet too. (Insert Bronx cheer here.) The "I live closer and use less than most so I'm entitled to waste more" theory doesn't fly with me. There are times it takes me 3 weeks to fill up my recycle bin. Do I throw it in the trash and say "ahhh it's not that much this week, clearly less than most of the subdivision"? No. It's cumulative, start at the beginning and if you cared, it could be you.

Get ready for $3 a gallon.
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    quote from 3611: I didn't get on a pulpit and say I care and you don't ...

quote from 3604: Perhaps, if there were more of an I care attitude instead of huh huh I save that in insurance attitude, Ford would try a little harder?
    ===========

Sounds pretty close to me.
    You've indicated that you value the statistics more than 'highly unreliable personal experiences, reputations and word of mouth'.

However, depending on how the statistics are gathered, sampling size, who is sampled, and many other factors, the statistics can also be 'highly unreliable'.

For me, I weigh them differently. I can't dispute the facts of my own experiences, there's nothing 'unreliable' about that.

If you've used a product many times in the past that has met or exceeded all of your expectations and that you were highly satisfed with, would you 'take a chance' on another product or brand just because of a promise that it might be better?

So if 2 products both are very similar in most aspects. I would tend to lean towards the one I have more experience with, if my previous experiences were all postitive.

Don't get me wrong, if I start having problems with my Fords that don't meet expectations, I won't hesitate to look elsewhere.

This is not a case where I am staying 'away' from Honda or saying Honda makes poor products, but more of a case where I prefer a brand that has worked very well for me and my family in the past.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    My last trip over Cascades and into central Oregon.. my Escape gave me a strong 23.8MPG on average! I can't complain one bit. V6 200HP/200ft/lbs of torque.. what a blast to drive.
    Around town I still average about 20-21MPG..
    carguy.. thanks for the article.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    i hear all this moaning from CR-V and Escape owners about the gas mileage thing... Excluding Scape and Myself who bought Tornado's for our Escape's (and I got 1 for wife's Civic EX too), the Escape and CR-v both have their strong points and weak points... That's why we have whats called a CHOICE to buy what we want to buy. Just go out and get yourself a Tornado and start playing like good little children or go sit in the corner for you time-out.... geesh

Odie
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    I thought the EPA estimates for the '01 V6 were 18 city/24 highway. What good is the swirl gizmo doing?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• icon2icon2 Posts: 9
    Too right odie61. It's boring to see this on this type of forum. Whenever someone claims to be making a particular car choice based on a 4-5 mpg difference largely because of the good for the planet it just doesn't fit.

Smart money? Sarah Breckenridge? by icvci

Isn't it funny that a magazine like SMART MONEY should put the Escape as the best choice without making any analysis as to running costs, average repair costs, depreciation, etc. Obviously the Escape's qualities was just too overwhelming for the writer of that comparison to worry about such small things. Pity cause if the writer had spent proper time on researching the facts and incorporating her findings then no doubt it would have been a useful article to help answer some of the heated arguments going on here and maybe even help those contemplating Escape vs CRV.

Scape, it's reassuring, u're gettin some pretty reasonable MPG figures. What kind of cruising speed did you do on the highways on that vacation?

BTW, that thing about ford making more than just autos. Isn't that the real problem? Over and out on that.
    "However, depending on how the statistics are gathered, sampling size, who is sampled, and many other factors, the statistics can also be 'highly unreliable'."

If they were unreliable, we would see significant variations. That's what "unreliable" means in statistics. But we don't see that. Instead we see the CR-V being consistently rated at the top of its class year after year.
    In the CR report, what segment of the population is surveyed? CR doesn't necessarily cater to the audience that the Escape does..

Looking at what I've seen published, the CRV did have 1 more red dot, but the Escape also did well in the CR reports and by no means was seen as an unreliable vehicle in their view.

So given how closely the CRV and Escape are rated in CR, the difference could be attributed to the demographic of CR readers vs Ford and CRV owners.
    Then why worry about the Tornado?

Whenever someone claims to be making a particular car choice based on a 4-5 mpg difference largely because of the good for the planet it just doesn't fit.

How wouldn't it fit? Granted, it takes more than one person to care but, it has to start somewhere. But, I guess someone who lives in the country that brings us Mexico City ,widely regarded as the most polluted city in the world, wouldn't get it.
  • icon2icon2 Posts: 9
    "20-25% gain in MPG no big deal? by icvci "

Didn't say that. Obviously it's a big deal for those choosing the CRV with fuel economy a top priority on their list. It's a big deal for them because it saves them MONEY, not the EARTH.

"Granted, it takes more than one person to care but, it has to start somewhere."

Really, be serious are you expecting us to believe you're starting to make a contribution by buying an SUV and saving 4-5 mpg. C'mon you're only kiddin yourself. I'll say again, it just doesn't fit.

"But, I guess someone who lives in the country that brings us Mexico City ,widely regarded as the most polluted city in the world, wouldn't get it."

So you're saying that in your eyes people who live in Mexico can't understand the importance of
    saving the planet and the contribution people and governments can make to protect the earth's resources simply because Mexico city is the most polluted. It's a bit like saying that those who choose to live in the USA can't get the notion of reducing the threat of nuclear proliferation just because the USA developed and has the largest stockpile of nuclear weapons. So ridiculous don't you agree.

So you see we can all pick holes in each other's arguments and go on.. and on.. and on... but it's boring for a discussion board about CRV vs Escape. Move on for goodness sake.
    "In the CR report, what segment of the population is surveyed? CR doesn't necessarily cater to the audience that the Escape does."

As long as they gather a statistically significant number of surveys, then they have enough data to publish. They have data for both model years, so they have met that criterion.

"Looking at what I've seen published, the CRV did have 1 more red dot, but the Escape also did well in the CR reports and by no means was seen as an unreliable vehicle in their view."

Yes, compared to last year's data, the Escape has improved. However, it's overall ranking is still more than 30% below the industry average. It has improved, but apparently not by much.

"So given how closely the CRV and Escape are rated in CR, the difference could be attributed to the demographic of CR readers vs Ford and CRV owners."

1. They are not rated very closely. The two are still separated by more than 60% points. 2. I'm not even sure what this talk of demographics means. What demographics? How do they affect the results? Where is your proof?
  • corynatcorynat Posts: 52
    The whole MPG thing is pretty silly. There is no difference in one person picking the Escape over the CR-V and living with a little less mileage and someone else picking the CR-V over the Civic and living with a little less mileage.

If your primary concern is mileage, you won't drive an SUV anyway.

I "need" and SUV, so I picked one that gets 3 MPG better than yours, so I am concerned more about the environment than you. What a load.

This isn't CR-V vs. Hummer.
    Fuel economy isn't the biggest concern right now, but it will become an increasingly important factor. I'd hate to buy a guzzler today and be stuck with it in five years. Ditto with emissions.

I see it as the frosting on the cake. Both vehicles in this debate are reasonably good, compared with the mid-size SUV alternatives, minivans, and large cars. However, when compared within their class, the CR-V is clearly the one with the advantage.
    Yes, I do believe I am making a difference. I had choices to make, as most of us do.

I made a small SUV my choice. It got better MPG than wagons with similar room, and has a cleaner burning engine.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to drive what they want, I'm saying we all have choices and it behooves us all to choose cleaner more efficient vehicles. Decide what you need and be smart.

I'm not saying my 4-5 mpg by itself makes a difference. I am saying my 4-5 mpg along with the 4-5 mpg from others making earth friendly decisons will make a difference.

I'm not the only person on the planet and I don't live like I am. We all make a difference.

I find it ironic that a guy that hails from the country with the most polluted city in the world, thinks 4-5 mpg can't make a difference.

Nukes? Tell me how I can clean them up. Where can I start? Way, way, way, way, off.