Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    The CR-V has one. It has to in order to adhere to government safety standards. It just isn't pronounced because of the rear-mounted spare. Then again, neither is the Escape's, nor are 95% of the other non-pickups/large SUVs out there.

Also, if you're REALLY worried about safety, you might want to check out the CR-V with its standard front, side and curtain airbags, VSC, EBD, ABS and traction control.

;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,931
    grad, you are a lot younger than i am, and do i view things differently.
    here is a bit of how i view vehicles: i want to drive something i enjoy(this does not exclude either make). to save gas i live close to where i work. in connecticut we pay a property tax each year, based on the 'nada'(at least that is what is used to be, may have changed) value of your vehicle. also, Honda is very expansive to insure, due to their theft rates.
    That's kinda what I thought. Personally, I don't subscribe to CR, but I think its a great publication. It does the kinds of testing the buyer can't. I see the CR subscriber as being smarter than the average joe walking in to a dealership off the street, just as I think people who research their cars on the internet are smarter than the average buyer. That's why I think people who buy foreign brands are seen as unpatriotic or yuppies, while I think many of them tend to be more educated.
    drom... all that stuff you posted does not help you if you are hit from behind. this is common. post your pictures on 'car space' or lose your your cred. even i did it. i know you visited. :)
    True, but that's what the structure of the car and the crumple zones are for. But...what about if you are hit from the side?

;)

And I'm not quite sure how posting pics of my vehicles affects my credibility, but if I eventually do it someday, I'm going to wait until I can clean my car up real nice. Right now its covered in slop due to the fact we have 3-4 inches of fresh ice and snow on the ground.

:)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    It doesn't matter the Taurus is a great car overall, for thousands upon thousands less than an Accord. Image, pure image. I know I am a growing number who don't buy the Honda reliability superiority brainwash garbage. I get out on the net and talk with other people around the U.S. Honda's days are numbered.
    Enjoy it while you got it. I am living proof, I know plenty of other Ford owners who have also owned Ford products that also don't understand the constant media
    blitz against Ford. My Escape runs great at 67,000 miles. I paid less for the Escape than I would have for a comparable CRV. I won't pay the extra $$$ for image, I would rather take a vacation

Here we go again.

2006 Ford Taurus SE, $19,986, add Safety and Security (Anti-lock brakes, side air bags, traction control) for $1,014 for a total of $20,852 after the REBATE!.

2006 Honda Accord LX, $18,730, add Automatic tranny to be even at $719 for a total of $19,449

Honda is $1403 cheaper than FORD. Once again, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!! It is the Honda buyer that can go on vacation.

I chose the 4 cylinder to compare to Accord because the V6 in Taurus (153 HP) is 13 hp short on power compared to the 4 cylinder in the Accord (166 HP). Sorry, Honda does not offer pathetic engines to make it compare more evenly with
    Taurus.

I would not boast about the 67,000 miles here. Most Hondas are not even broken in by 67,000 miles. Come back when you have 150,000 - 200,000 miles on the Escape.

I paid $20,500 for 2005 CR-V EX (read loaded) that came with VSC, ABS, AWD, 30 mpg, 6 disc in-dash changer, steering wheel radio controls, sunroof, much much better resale, and still beat any Escape out there to 60 mph. So, unless your Escape has all that and can beat my $20K CR-V in price department, you paid too much.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Yes, I understand that we view things differently, and I am less experienced than most when it comes to paying taxes, making financial decisions.

I don't know about insurance rates on the CR-V vs. Escape, so I'll definitely take your word for it. Insurance actually went DOWN when changing from our van (2000 Odyssey) to my current car, the much more widely stolen Accord. This was due to the increase in safety features from the Ody to the Accord. My Accord has 8 airbags, the Odyssey had two. I'd bet that the larger insurance premium due to theft is largely balanced by lower rates due to class-leading standard safety features.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I have concluded that it's a toss-up between the CR-V and the Escape. If either had features and qualities that were vastly superior to the other then the decibel level of contentiousness on these boards would be at a comfortable level. :shades:

tidester, host
    imageDrive on over to my place!
  • edwin10edwin10 Posts: 32
    I have to be honest with both of you, I would not have
    either. Four weeks ago my wife was at a stop light,
    third in line when a college student in a CR-V rear
    ended her without ever hitting their brakes going at
    over 35 mph. Thank goodness my wife was in a 3/4 ton
    Chevy Suburban. It shoved my wife's car into the car
    in front of her, but did only minor damage to the rear
    of my wife's Suburban, and none to the front. My wife
    walked away without a scratch. The college girl in
    the CR-V was airlifted away. The CR-V even caught fire
    in the engine area.

I had been bugging my wife to get a smaller vehicle,
    but she said no, I like my Suburban. I now completely
    agree with her, even if gas is $5 per gallon. Her life
    is worth every penny. In fact we already have the
    Suburban back, and I heard the girl in the CR-V just
    got out of the hospital, and went back home, instead of
    school. Her airbags went off, but it was such a hard
    hit, she got banged up pretty bad, but will be ok they
    tell us in a few months.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    I thought so too Tidester! :confuse:

Then I spent the night driving a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. Loaded with 5 full size persons, it was VERY impressive. I hadn't realized the Escape had come that far. None of my 3 Honda's or CR-V experiences ever passed the 5 full size passenger test. Much less with flying colors. Nice job Ford! ;)

Despite my historically Honda tendencies, I felt the Escape was a MUCH more solid driving experience. YMMV. :surprise:
    Yikes, edwin, that sounds majorly serious! I'm glad your wife made it out okay and hope the young lady recovers fully.

tidester, host
    ergo,

In the end, your vehicle choice should match your requirements and wishes. And if one of your requirements is to haul 5 full sized people then choose accordingly! :)

tidester, host
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " i think many c-r subscibers are people who at the very least risk averse, and more likely afaid to make their own decisions as far as consumer products go "

LOL, what a cop out...LOL... You own an Escape, now someone disagrees with you, so you say they're afraid to make their own decisions...LOL. What scientific evidence do you have that supports this?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    I'm interested; what do you think of CR subscribers? Would you say they are or aren't as smart as your average consumer?

They are definitely smarter than the AVERAGE consumer because the average consumer to me is the guy/gal that walks in to a dealer off the street because they like the looks of a vehicle and only the looks of a vehicle. I don't think they are smarter than all consumers though and, in my experience knowing several subscribers, tend to lazy when it comes to making a decision. They want someone to do it for them and CR makes that easy.

I don't think it's right that CR presents it's findings as fact if you will. It's actually very far from fact and can be misleading if you don't do the research on their research. I tell everyone I know that it should only be used as a guide and that they need to look at other sources of information, as well as the all important test drive, before making an informed decision.

I personally don't concern myself with a lot of what CR presents to it's readers when shopping for vehicles so it's pretty much useless to me. Actually their spec sheets are factual and therefore could be useful to me.

Besides, CR isn't paying for my vehicle so I'm not going to let them choose it. ;)

Maybe you would be so kind as to be more specific about the problems you have with the models they are listing.

I'm not going to post sources for what I'm typing because you can find all of it with simple Google searches. Here goes.

These are the Ford vehicles which are long in the tooth:

Focus - Plagued by quality problems
    Taurus - Fleet car material
    Freestar - Drove two of these last summer...WORST vehicle I have EVER driven
    Crown Victoria - Strictly for the elderly and police departments
    Escape - Plagued by quality problems
    Excursion - I can't comprehend why someone would buy one of these...
    Explorer Sport Trac - Rollover waiting to happen

Focus - Not plagued by quality issues any more and hasn't been for about three years now. Was just refreshed but needs to be updated via the Euro version. Until then you can buy a Mazda3 which is the Euro version.

Taurus - Gone very, very soon. Not redesigned as you suggest but rather replaced with the Fusion and Five Hundred. I'm not so sure they're even making consumer versions anymore. Just fleets IIRC.

Freestar - Will disappear soon too. A year or two IIRC. Will be replaced, not redesigned, with a "people mover" like the Fairlane concept from last year. Volvo is supposedly working on a minivan right now (read that in MT the other day) so Ford may have something up it's sleeve for that one day too.

Crown Vic - Has a loyal following so it won't die. It's a cash cow for Ford too. Don't expect it to ever be redesigned but Ford is reportedly fast-tracking a new rear-drive sedan to compete with the 300 (I think I just saw this in MT too) so a replacement may be possible.

Escape - Spy photos show it will be updated for MY07. The Tribute is getting a new, more upscale interior for MY08 and will take MY07 off. I'm guessing the Escape will get the new interior for '07 too along with some new sheet metal and who knows what else. A smaller crossover will be introduced within the next couple of years and the Edge will be on sale this fall so the future of the Escape is up in the air.

Excursion - Gone. Replaced with the Expedition EL.

Explorer Sport Trac - Redesigned. Widened too IIRC.

You'll note that a couple of the vehicles are being replaced with not one, but two brand new models. Ford is actually copying what Toyota does with it's model lineup if you think about it. Given the current state of the market, that can't be a bad thing.
    What scientific evidence do you have that supports this?

Probably a sample of subscribers he personally knows. That makes his findings, and mine for that matter, every bit as scientific as CR's.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I have to be honest with both of you, I would not have
    either. Four weeks ago my wife was at a stop light,
    third in line when a college student in a CR-V rear
    ended her without ever hitting their brakes going at
    over 35 mph. Thank goodness my wife was in a 3/4 ton
    Chevy Suburban. It shoved my wife's car into the car
    in front of her, but did only minor damage to the rear
    of my wife's Suburban, and none to the front. My wife
    walked away without a scratch. The college girl in
    the CR-V was airlifted away. The CR-V even caught fire
    in the engine area.

I had been bugging my wife to get a smaller vehicle,
    but she said no, I like my Suburban. I now completely
    agree with her, even if gas is $5 per gallon. Her life
    is worth every penny. In fact we already have the
    Suburban back, and I heard the girl in the CR-V just
    got out of the hospital, and went back home, instead of
    school. Her airbags went off, but it was such a hard
    hit, she got banged up pretty bad, but will be ok they
    tell us in a few months.

What if the girl who rear ended your wife was in a Hummer H1, or Ford F-650 (the biggest Ford pick up) would that make you want to go out a buy an even bigger truck? Oh, wait a minute, that is how the "SUV wars" started. Everyone kept on getting bigger and bigger SUV's "for Safety"

I hear those Greyhound buses are about 80,000 lbs and can go through brick wall wihtout damage, why not get that? OR a Bradley Assault vehicle, with 6WD and 2 inch body armor she won't have to fear anything. And if there is an incoming unibody vehicle, she can use the turret to pulverize it before the impact.

I have been rear ended in the CR-V by a Durango. I had no medical damage. The CR-V's safety features worked as intended (crumple zones crumple to minimize the force transfer the occupants). Ladder frame trucks in general do not bend fames on impact to absorb the impact forces. Yes, a car designed to sacrifice itself will look bad after an accident, but it is designed to do that, so that occupats do not experiece the forces of impact, while ladder frame trucks will transfer more of the impact to the occupants.

Your wife is lucky that she did not get injured.

I am surprized that the "feather weight" CRV was able to move the "mammoth" Suburban while Suburban had the brakes applied.

P.S. I had a Suburban for rental for about a month in 2002 (after my CR-V was rear ended), even though I had a very short 5 mile commute to work, the gas bill was not pretty. So, unless your wife regularly carries 9 pasengers, tons of cargo, or tows a 7000 lbs trailer, it is an overkill.
    So I get it now Baggs, you go out and and ask a sample of your friends and co-workers, get their responses, find out that those are your friends and co-workers that can't make their own decisions, therefore CR readers also can't make their own decisions.

Thx for clarifying that for me.....
    Yeah Mike, that's exactly what I said. :confuse:

I don't like CR for many reasons so just deal with it. How I, or anyone else, perceive the people who solely use it to purchase a new vehicle matters not in this forum or anywhere else but in my, or their, head.
    Let me preface this by saying I'm glad to hear your wife was OK. Now, here is my problem with your line of thinking:

1) If everyone subscribed to your line of thinking, we'd all drive Suburbans, and like blueiegod said, than we'd all be looking for a bigger vehicle.

2) It's absolutely incorrect that your wife's Suburban is anymore safe than almost any other vehicle on the road. In fact, large SUVs are among the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Check out the latest safety reports on a site like safercar.gov. I could post the link but I'm on my lunch break and I don't feel like it.

3) Remember, the CR-V rear-ended your wife. Had it been reversed, it's very likely the results would have been reversed as well. Anytime you slam into a vehicle head-on it's dangerous, no matter what your driving. Your wife had a good 15 feet of metal between her and the CR-V to absorb the impact, while the girl in the CR-V had only a couple.

4) I really, really, REALLY believe people who drive big vehicles like the Suburban, Expedition or the Excursion should pay the gas guzzler tax regardless, and a luxury tax unless they can document a reason why they need one. I'd bet more than 95% of people out there who drive them don't really need them; they drive them for the same reason your wife drives one...it's the biggest vehicle you can buy. It's insane that people can use so much more of the world's resources, thereby penalizing everyone (including themselves). It's SO wasteful. Furthermore, if everyone bought SMALLER vehicles, we'd ALL be safer, even if that vehicle is an Escape.

:blush:
    baggs:

Yes, you're right that most of the vehicles I listed are going away soon, but my point was they should have been gone a looonnnnggg time ago. My list was 100% accurate according to Ford's own website, and the fact those antiques are still being sold is what I was lamenting. The American car buying public deserves better, especially if they are going to go whining to Congress for handouts.

Also, thank you for clarifying your stance on CR. My point is that those people are every bit as credible as everyone else, and more than some. Too many people buy cars just because they can afford them (while ignoring things like their 401k or 529 college plans...but I digress), when making a car purchase is probably the second biggest purchase they'll ever make. They owe it to themselves to do a little research, and at least CR subscribers are doing that.
    I think we all agree that CR, as well as any other review media, including Edmunds, should only be used as a guide when making your choice. Using CR and Edmunds reviews, you can find information about a vehicle that you might not otherwise see for yourself.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "drom... all that stuff you posted does not help you if you are hit from behind. this is common."

You're comparing plastic-covered styrofoam core shells and claiming that the bigger one offers more protection? It's styrofoam, fer cryin' out loud. Bumpers are designed to protect the vehicle from scratches. They are not part of the safety structure.

For that matter... I've been hit from behind twice in my CR-V. Both times, my CR-V fared better than the vehicle which hit me.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,846
    " Then I spent the night driving a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. Loaded with 5 full size persons, it was VERY impressive. I hadn't realized the Escape had come that far. None of my 3 Honda's or CR-V experiences ever passed the 5 full size passenger test. Much less with flying colors. Nice job Ford!"

I've driven the Gen2 CR-V with 5 people, and it was fine. Where are you planning to put the luggage for 5 people? The CR-V has almost 40 cu feet back there with the seats slid forward (which makes the rear legroom equal to the Escape - a bit over 36 inches vs. the normal 39.5 inches for the CR-V).

I test drove the FEH, and found that it was just too small for my family needs. I bought a Ford Freestyle (entirely different vehicle class). That FEH was much smaller than the CR-V. The rear seats don't recline and the cargo space is quite a bit smaller (the batteries take up the under cargo floor area).
    i'm just going by the repair bills(twice). :cry:
    things have been fine since i put on the 2 inch receiver hitch. :)
    Steve -

I thought the same thing when reading the post about the FEH vs. the CR-V in terms of interior space. As you said, the FEH is even smaller than the standard Escape, which isn't as big as the CR-V internally. I knew this without even seeing the measurements because my dog kennel fit with the rear seat all the way back in the CR-V, but in the Escape I had to move them forward a bit.

OT - Does your Freestyle have the CVT? If so, what do you think of it? If not, never mind.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,846
    "OT - Does your Freestyle have the CVT? If so, what do you think of it? If not, never mind."

Yup, CVT is the only drivetrain. Love it. I don't have the AWD version. You have to get used to the "no gears", and let the engine rev all it wants.

On Topic, I think it's too bad the 3.0 duratec isn't offered in the Escape with a CVT. It would increase the MPG considerably in such a light vehicle. It is obviously technically feasible - the FreeStyle has the Duratec 3.0 with CVT - but is probably too expensive for the price point of an Escape. I suspect that the FS is being sold near to cost. The CVT is a European built chain model (also used by Audi). The AWD is Swedish.
    My turn to LOL! scientific evidence? i have an opinion and i'm not afraid to use it! ;)
    don't worry too much about financial stuff, yet. it seems like you are doing the important things right; getting an education and having goals.
    up here in the northeast a lot of the tv/radio people do charity events. if you are not doing those types of things, it could be to your advantage to participate in them. they seem to be part of the 'real job', and could help you stand out from the others after you get the sheepskin. maybe then you can get in a plug for your '96 honda with an audience other than cr-v vs escape. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Actually, I'm soon to start an internship at a local NBC affiliate station here in Birmingham (NBC13.com). I doubt I'll be broadcasting about Honda's though. Perhaps if it caught fire it could be "Breaking News?"
    Yup, CVT is the only drivetrain. Love it. I don't have the AWD version. You have to get used to the "no gears", and let the engine rev all it wants.

I'm glad to hear that. Nissan has a little car coming out called the Versa, and I might be interested in it. Supposedly, it get 38 mpg combined with the CVT. I think it would be the perfect compliment to our CR-V. However, the CVT part makes me a little nervous. Nissan has been putting them in the Murano for years, though, and I knew Ford put it in the Freestyle. I might take one out in a month or so with the wife and see what we think.

As to your point about the CVT in the Escape, I think there is another reason as well, in addition to price. I think it would lower the tow rating. I'm not sure about that, and I'd have to do more research, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking there are still some very real limits to what the CVT can do. BTW, what is the tow rating on your Freestyle? I'm thinking 2000 for some reason.