Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    it is an old review, but the escape still hammers the cr-v is practicality.
    can you guess why the escape uses an iron engine block?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    "At least for the previous generation the CR-V cost less than a comparably equipped Escape. I showed you numerous times. "

And I showed you numerous times you were wrong. I gave you actual prices, Vin#'s from dealership advertisements and still you are right??? CRV's cost more than Escapes/Tributes... Anyone who shops knows this.

Trying to make Honda's less expensive than Ford vehicles doesn't bode well for your credibility. It is common knowledge, Honda's cost more than Fords, option for options, car for car, truck for truck.
    "The CR-V has four wheel disc brakes vs. the Escape's rear drum set up. Yes the Ford had better stopping distance, by a whopping one foot in ABS equipped models."

First off, what model? Ford Escape can be had with 4 wheel disc brakes. And, no-way does a Ford Escape cost $25,840!! This must be a Limited that come with 4-wheel disc brakes..

Here we go again about 0-60 times.. You believe the numbers you want and they are in stone. Any other 0-60 numbers and they cannot be, right? Just keep on believing that a 4 cylinder automatic CRV can best a V6 Escape. I have shown numbers from reviews that say otherwise.. But, your numbers are right, mine are wrong.. Gee, seems like old times... :sick:

New CRV is a joke. Looks like a station wagon and not a sport utility vehicle. If anything the styling will push people into other small SUV's Why did Honda move that rear tire if the last generation was such a superior design? Could it have been the outrageous insurance to fix the repairs of people backing up into objects?? And why do you still read on the internet about people still smelling burning oil, or a hot smell in thier CRV's? Remember the Combustable Recreational Vvehicle??? The issue Honda did so well at brushing under the rug? Their PR is awesome I have to give them that.
    Escape has proven to be just as reliable as the CRV. This is all over the internet by the way....Get out and LOOK :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Does the Escape offer Stability Control? I can't say I know - I know RSC comes on the Explorer.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    But the CR-V is such a girls' vehicle. Don't you mind the guys laughing?

So is the Escape, and the worst part is that Escape V6 does not come with "manly" stick. It only comes with GIRLY auto.

What do you drive that makes you manly? Ford Mustang V6 Auto? lol
    are you doing in here graduate? are you following me? Ever owned a CRV? or an Escape?

I am a CRV owners worst nightmare. An Escape owner with real world good experiences..

And I am YOUR worst nightmare. Do you own both? NOPE!!! I do!!! I can debunk every "fact" you come up with. :)

Oh, and what are YOU doing here? You no longer own the Escape, he ditched it. Maybe it is time to start pa-trolling forums related to the vehicles you own?
    Tell me how you redline an automatic transmission?

I think the question is: "How do you redline FORD?"

The answer is: "You can't, unless you want to pick up the pieces of the engine off the ground. This is why Scape2 keeps saying that CR-V needs to be redline and his Escape didn't. He never could redline it, and once he did, he had to trade it in.

On the serious note, every timed run is done at the maximum allowable RPM. Ford just runs out of wind past 4000 RPM.
    the point is, you don't need to wind out the escape to the max to get the job done. the v6 produces plenty of power at lower rpm's.
    No, I just come back here once in a while to get a laugh at how the same people claim the same thing over and over again. The fact here is I owned an Escape, I had Honda folks tell me it was going to be unreliable, and was garbage, yet it lasted me 75,000 trouble free miles and it was driven pretty hard. The wife owns a Tribute and it now has 30,000 trouble free miles and it gets used pretty hard too. I guess what really gets me is when people say Fords don't last. Having had one in my garage of either being a car or truck over the last 25+ years I beg to differ. Escape is a great vehicle. Now on the internet there are facts to show it if you look. Introduced in 2001, there are plenty of Escape/Tribute/Mariner owners out there now..
    I didn't "ditch" my Escape, I was ready for something different. And we didn't need 2 of the same vehicle in the household.
    How its ok for Honda owners to defend thier vehicles and its all believed and ok. Yet, when a Ford owner, previous owner tells a story of reliability/quality of their Ford product it just can't be... :sick:
    Yet, when a Ford owner, previous owner tells a story of reliability/quality of their Ford product it just can't be...

Who refuted where you said your vehicle was reliable or of low quality?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    How about instead of playing he said, she said, we instead get back to discussing the SUVs?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• srangersranger Posts: 106
    You CR-V guys remind me of the little tuner cars that pester me to race them in my Mustang...

First of all, I am certian that a stock V6 Escape is significantly faster that a 4 cylinder automatic CR-V. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, bring you FWD Automatic CR-V and $500.00 to any 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip in the southeast and I will be happy to let you prove me wrong.

My Mariner is 100% stock except for the added trailer hitch. So I would expect that yours is stock as well.

If I lose, I will give you $500.00, if you lose, I get your $500...( And yes a red ligt would be a loss... )

Any takers????
    My 2005 500+hp Saleen Supercharged Mustang GT with a 5 speed auto is a pretty quick girly car....
    No, I just come back here once in a while to get a laugh at how the same people claim the same thing over and over again. The fact here is I owned an Escape, I had Honda folks tell me it was going to be unreliable, and was garbage, yet it lasted me 75,000 trouble free miles and it was driven pretty hard. The wife owns a Tribute and it now has 30,000 trouble free miles and it gets used pretty hard too. I guess what really gets me is when people say Fords don't last. Having had one in my garage of either being a car or truck over the last 25+ years I beg to differ. Escape is a great vehicle. Now on the internet there are facts to show it if you look. Introduced in 2001, there are plenty of Escape/Tribute/Mariner owners out there now..
    I didn't "ditch" my Escape, I was ready for something different. And we didn't need 2 of the same vehicle in the household.

We challenged you earlier, when your Escape had 60,000 miles to come back when it had 120,000, 250,000 and 500,000 miles. You failed! How does it feel to single handedly fail Ford in the eyes of all Honda owners on here? :D
    You CR-V guys remind me of the little tuner cars that pester me to race them in my Mustang...

First of all, I am certian that a stock V6 Escape is significantly faster that a 4 cylinder automatic CR-V. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, bring you FWD Automatic CR-V and $500.00 to any 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip in the southeast and I will be happy to let you prove me wrong.

My Mariner is 100% stock except for the added trailer hitch. So I would expect that yours is stock as well.

If I lose, I will give you $500.00, if you lose, I get your $500...( And yes a red ligt would be a loss... )

Any takers????

There is a HUGE difference between CERTAIN and PROVEN. CERTAIN is a good guess, PROVEN is well... PROVEN beyond reasonable doubt. AWD CR-V AUTO has been PROVEN to be just as fast as Escape V6 AWD, and AWD CR-V Manual has been PROVEN to be FASTER than Escape V6 AWD AUTO.

Don't start with "Escape V6 is not available with manual... blah blah blah" Just the fact that CR-V s not available with V6 did not stop CR-V from beating the Escape. Take it like a man.

How about you bring your Mariner to Lancaster speedway on December 30th. 2 days should be enough for you to drive up to Buffalo, NY. I will race you in my Stock 2005 AWD CR-V Manual. Not showing up will qualify as defeat and you owe me $500. I accept credit cards through paypal.
    the point is, you don't need to wind out the escape to the max to get the job done. the v6 produces plenty of power at lower rpm's.

Both engines produce the same HP and Torque between 2000 and 4000 RPM. Check the power curves.

Beyond 4000 RPM is where Honda shines and Ford loses. If you have never driven a car (like Honda) that keeps produsing more and more power as you wind that engine, you don't know what you are missing. Yeah, domestics are fun because of all the power down low. But the art of engine design is not to simply increase displacement or forced induction, but to produce most power with the least resources. Honda excells at that.

Ford Duratec may be capable of producing 200 Hp on an engine stand, but not in the Escape.

Just like anyone can make Pe(e)a soup, anyone can increase displacement.

Show me one Ford product that can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and cost less than $10,000? Many Honda bikes can. Heck, my ancient 1983 Honda Magna V45 goes from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and cost $3000 new. Do more with less is Honda motto. Ford... don't get me started on that.
    So again you try to compare a straight shift to an automatic again. ( really weak argument by the way... )

Allow be to use a tuner to raise my automatic's shift points by 200rpm. This will let me push the engine up to it's rev limiter in the same way you will do by holding your shift past the red line and you my friend are on!!!

However, I would prefer to make it $5,000 to cover my time off of work and travel expenses....
    You obviously know NOTHING about drag racing...
  • is you and your "competition" Mariner. Good lord man, the thing weighs 3500 lbs. and has 200 HP.

Drag race and CR-V or Escape or Mariner should never be in the same sentence.
    You obviously know NOTHING about drag racing...

There are two separate tracks. While everyone is at the one where dragsters are, we can do whatever we want on the other track. Excuses, excuses, excuses....

So, are you on?
    So again you try to compare a straight shift to an automatic again. ( really weak argument by the way... )

Comparing a 2.4L 4 cylinder to a 3.0L V6 is an even weaker argument, especially since Honda wins whichever way you put it, auto or manual.

If you want to be honest, compare 4 cylinder Escape to the CR-V. Just the fact alone that you are comparing a V6 Escape to CR-V speaks volumes about the CR-V and Honda engine design in general.

However, I would prefer to make it $5,000 to cover my time off of work and travel expenses....

I really hope you don't work on Saturdays, Sundays, and New Years Day. Almost everyone with a decent job is off those days. And if you make $5,000 in 3 days, sounds like you have a good job. Sounds like just another excuse.

:confuse: :D
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    I see you still respond to posts without reading them thoroughly.

I was commenting on an old Truck Trend comparo of the Escape, CR-V and Vue posted by the host, follow the thread. The article clearly states what models were tested. It also gives the 0-60 and quarter mile times and guess which one performed better?. It also lists the price of the tested vehicles. The CR-V has an MSRP of almost $4000 less than the Escape.

But I Guess you know more than Truck Trend huh?
    Nope. I showed you numerous times that for closely comparably equipped vehicles the CR-V has a lower MSRP than the Escape. In reality you can't comparably equip these vehicles (at least the last generation CR-V vs. Escape). In a 4 cylinder Escape (you agree that is apples to apples right?) you could not get many things that were standard on the CR-V.

I haven't looked in to the new CR-V enough to comment but I'm pretty sure the same is still true. The 4 cylinder Escape is a fairly bare bones vehicle because they don't sell many of them, but that is the only model that can be truly compared to the previous CR-V. Although as we all know the CR-V does hold it's own against the V6 Escape. Imagine, a 4 banger that beats a V6, I can see why you are frustrated.

To paraphrase your favorite saying, I am your worst nightmare. I (along with many others here) debunk every half truth you spew. It's kind of fun, but a little old at this point since it's been going on for almost half a decade.
    Well I guess one will take away from the article what one wants.

What I took away is that the editors of Truck Trend had difficulty picking a winner between a V6 Escape that cost almost $4000 more than a 4 cylinder CR-V.
    Comparing a 2.4L 4 cylinder to a 3.0L V6 is an even weaker argument, especially since Honda wins whichever way you put it, auto or manual.

The funny part is, I basically agree with you, the 4 cylinder in the CR-V does not in any way compare to the more powerful V6 in the Escape. Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

You know full well that I could not drive to New York in time for your race, however, since you are being a smart a$$ I should point out that you did not mention which year....HaHa...

However, I am willing to bet $5,000.00 on a race that we can set up with a reasonable amount of notice. We could meet some where in the middle. Basically my Mariner against your CR-V. To make it fair, I will use a hand held SCT XCal2 to bump up the shift points 200rpm with a hand held tuner. Since you seem to believe that an automatic cannot possibly keep pace with a straight shift it should be an easy win for you...

So, Do we have a deal????
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    This is not a competition, it is only an exhibition — please, no wagering....

I killed my TV back in '99 but seems likes someone famous said that. :shades:

Next you guys (and gals) will be tossing watermelons off the roof to see whether the CR-V or Escape dings easier. It's enough to make me shop the Rogue. (Who needs a TV when we have CR-V v Escape?) :D

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

We could meet some where in the middle. Basically my Mariner against your CR-V.

Since you are not showing up in Lancaster today, I win by default. But, I am fair, and willing to give you a second chance.

I'll be in Myrtle Beach, SC the second week of March of 2007. Are you on?

I promise, I won't tweak a single thing on my STOCK CR-V. If you feel that your Mariner needs help by tweaking the shift points, do so. But, that just showed me that even you, your self, don't believe that STOCK Escape/Mariner FWD (150 lbs lighter than AWD) can beat an AWD CR-V.

The funny part is, I basically agree with you, the 4 cylinder in the CR-V does not in any way compare to the more powerful V6 in the Escape. Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

I think you failed to read the obvious, I underlined it for your reading ease.
    I leave for two days, and it got heated! Children, I will turn this car right around! So PLAY NICE! :)

Happy New Year to all, I'm going out of town, and (happily) NOT carrying my laptop. I'll see you all on the 4th!
    the published torque peak for the discontinued cr-v model is 3600 rpm. the escape v6 is listed is 4850. i don't see how the torque curves could be the same between 2k and 4k.
    i really don't understand your continued posts about 0-60.
    maybe 1 in a 1000 escape or cr-v owners care about that.