Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    I was just kidding. I'm sure it will be a cold day in ... before either one of us purchaes a Ford over a Honda.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I did purchase a Ford over a Honda 3x!! LOL!@! and have never looked back to regret too! :P
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?
    The new styling of the CRV is going to drive buyers away. It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,621
    maybe i might buy a honda, but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.
    that excludes it for me.
  • "once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?"

You do not get the whole thing of getting a accurate reading of what peoples opinions are. The more people surveyed in any survey that is ever done for anything, the more accurate it will be. If you have 5 people surveyed or 10 people surveyed, the 10 person survey WILL, without a doubt, be more accurate.

The Escape is already to 9.2 and it only has 15 reviews. Did you notice, usually with ALL the cars on this website, the ratings go DOWN with the more peoples rating being taken into account.
    For some reason the Ford people like to respond to posts that weren't directed at them.

but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.

Consumer Reports doesn't think so. Recent review ranks it much higher than the Escape. It recommends the CR-V not the Escape. And despite your interpretation both of these vehicles are considered small SUVs.
    any post i make is not directed at anyone. it reflects my opinion. i don't let consumer reports or any other source decide for me. i do consider them.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Um, he was talking about he and blueiedgod I believe. We already know how you whole-heartedly sent your cash to Ford and are most happy about it. You got a vehicle that fit your needs and wants the best.

I dont think they meant ANYONE wouldn't buy a Honda over a Ford - there are far too many Fords on the road that prove that assumption wrong.
    It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...

Like all the other CUVs that have come to market that don't look like conventional "SUVs"...

By that logic, I don't guess autos that don't look like SUVs will sell. There goes the Murano, Edge, Mazda CX-7...

Don't count on that. CR-Vs are selling as well or better than they were before the 2007 came out. One look at market prices tells me so.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.

I for one don't trash the Escape. As the thread states I compare it to a CR-V and I think it's clear that all the evidence points to the CR-V being the superior vehicle.

For some the Escape might meet their needs better than the CR-V, but the CR-V is the better overall vehicle in terms of quality, reliability, resale value and engineering.

If someone doesn't agree with this assessment they are ignoring the facts or interpreting them incorrectly.
    but the CR-V is the better overall vehicle in terms of quality, reliability, resale value and engineering.

People perceive things differently, so be careful with those blanket statements (not saying I disagree, however). You'll just kick start another brawl to get the forum closed down again...
    As long as some continue to stick their heads in the sand there will always be a brawl here.

Car review magazines, unbiased consumer reviews and statistics (as in resale) are just some of the areas that back up my statements.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Car review magazines, unbiased consumer reviews and statistics (as in resale) are just some of the areas that back up my statements.

They sure do for the most part but as grad said, people perceive things differently. None of what you using to back up your statememts is fact as you mentioned before. Therefore it can and will be perceived differently by others.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I did purchase a Ford over a Honda 3x!! LOL!! and have never looked back to regret too!

And what Honda did you own before going with Ford?
    Consumer Reports recommending a CR-V and not an Escape isn't a fact?

It's a fact that the CR-V has a higher residual value than an Escape.

It's a fact that a comparably equipped CR-V has a lower MSRP than an Escape.

I don't make this stuff up it's available in black and white from numerous sources.

There are people who refuse to accept the above and many other facts. You can lead a horse to water...
    as i have said before, for a while i started believing the cr-v really was better. then i took it on a long weekend trip(i am not the regular driver). i know it is small practical wagon, but i found out it works pretty well as a driver, too. i wish it were quieter and the tranmission was better at holding a gear, but other than that it accomplishes it's mission.
    i don't think the cr-v knows what it wants to be. i doubt if there will be many owners of the current iteration of the cr-v posting here, just those that have been left behind. :P
    i don't think the cr-v knows what it wants to be.

Those were the exact sentiments of Top Gear Magazine (in Europe - tested the diesel version) exactly. It is good at a lot of things, but not the best at any one particular (although in its class, I think interior execution is its strong point).

It is a family hauler, a weekend garden-shop tool, and a City Runabout-Vehicle. It's all of these things.

What an identity crisis!
    every redesign of the cr-v gets more like the escape, except it has never been as good looking. :shades:
    Actually, I was thinking the opposite. The most current CR-V is the most carlike looking SUV I've seen lately. The Ford still looks very "trucky" to me. The interior of the CR-V since gen 2 has had it all over the Escape, in my eyes, and the gen 3 is no different - it goes up another notch. The exterior of the CR-V is good to me, although that underbite took me some getting used to.

Still better than the new Camry to me though!
    escape looks trucky? it is suppsosed to, but i don't really want to go into style, it is very much personal preference. we just have different tastes in vehicle design, i prefer uncomplicated. after a few vehicles, i realized i never used 80% of those buttons.
    we just have different tastes in vehicle design, i prefer uncomplicated. after a few vehicles, i realized i never used 80% of those buttons.

Buttons? Where'd that come from? You've lost me bud...

escape looks trucky? it is suppsosed to, but i don't really want to go into style, it is very much personal preference.

Yes, trucky. Where the Honda looks like a Crossover Soft-Roader, the Escape still looks like a good-ole truck-based SUV, like the Explorer. Neither is bad, they are just getting more different each time the CR-V is redesigned, and everytime the Escape isn't.
    what i was trying to say was that the gen II cr-v had an interior layout that i found unconventional and not necessarily better.
    each iteration of the cr-v gets closer to the basic escape design. the cr-v has it's hits, but a lot of misses on the basic design. the escape got it right the first time.
    name another same suv/csr that copied the cr-v design(s).
    Consumer Reports recommending a CR-V and not an Escape isn't a fact?

It's a fact that they recommended it but the conclusions they base that recommendation on, namely their poorly run survey, does not present us with any facts.

It's a fact that the CR-V has a higher residual value than an Escape.

On average it does but not always. Therefore it is not fact.

It's a fact that a comparably equipped CR-V has a lower MSRP than an Escape.

That is a fact but you didn't state MSRP in your original post.

I don't make this stuff up it's available in black and white from numerous sources.

I know where it all is and I've seen it all. You might want to think about what you are reading a little more rather than take it word for word.

There are people who refuse to accept the above and many other facts. You can lead a horse to water...

I've accepted the fact that I will only drive what I want and not what some magazines, unbiased consumer reviews, and people who are smitten with the latter two lead/tell me to drive.
    each iteration of the cr-v gets closer to the basic escape design

I'm sorry, I just respectfully (although completely) disagree.

Original CR-V:

To me, that original 1997 looks the most like the Escape.

Gen 2 CR-V (02-06)

Gets more rounded in that iteration, more rounded than the Escape has ever been.

Current CR-V (2007)

REALLY rounded, more like Edge than Escape to me.
    The thread is about comparing vehicles. The best way I know to do that is with facts.

Of course everyone buys the vehicle they feel is right for them for whatever reason. I look at this issue analytically, personal opinion doesn't matter to me. Facts are facts. Not sure how else you want data presented. You seem to be one of the horses ;) .
    The best way I know to do that is with facts.

A fact is a hard truth not the result of analysis which has margin of error and can vary vastly depending on how the research/analysis is carried out. I work in research and I see it all the time. Yes CR, I'll pick on them for now, recommends the CR-V and not the Escape and that is a fact. The way they reached that conclusion is what needs questioned because their ratings are not based on any fact whatsoever. They guide you in a reasonable way and most likely their ratings are correct in regard to the final result where one vehicle is said to be better than another. However their little circles need to go because they don't put everyone on an even playing field.

Honda and Toyota don't enjoy the quality and reliability advantage they once had. Almost every manufacturer has caught up to them and it's pointless to use those two attributes as arguing points anymore. Therefore one's decision to buy one of the two vehicles being compared here should be based on things like features, price, appearance, and feel. The biggies like safety, reliability, and quality are just hairs to split.

You seem to be one of the horses

Nope. I wouldn't let anyone lead me to the water in the first place. I can find it all on my own. ;)
    I work in research...

So do I. Disregard CR and there are still numerous facts available that support what I have said in the last few posts.

Plenty of people here refuse to believe published data. Not sure what else to say.
  • I had a 01 Honda Civic, and it was breaking down. So I brought it to the dealership to have it repaired and I mentioned to my techican that I was looking for a new car. He brought a saleman in to show me some Hondas and one of them was the CRV. I thought the style was ok so I test drove it. It's inital appearance was alright ( a 5 out of 10). When I got in, I was startled that the emergency brake was located next to the radio and that the gear shift was underneath it. Where the gearshift normally is, it's a small table? I really don't know what you would put there while driving. You know what really turned me off? I told the salesman that when a spare is located outside the vehicle underneath the rear windshield, it's very probable that the rear windshield will get damaged in a rear end collision and asked if there was space in the trunk to put the spare. He told me that in the trunk, underneath the carpet, there wasn't room becaue there was a picnic table located there. I don't know why the emergency brake and the gear shifter was located next to the radio, and I really didn't know why there was a picnic table where a spare is supposed to be, but those three things immediately turned me off of the CRV. I asked the technican if I could get a rental, and when he took me over to Enterprise, they gave me an Escape. I loved the look, the style, and the handling. And when I found out that the gear shifter, emergency brake and spare tire are located where they are supposed to be I went shopping for an Escape. When my Honda was returned, I immediately purchased an Escape and could not be happier with my decision. I really didn't care who won awards, or who was more practical in gas mileage. What I really care about is what feels best for me, and the Ford Escape was the best decision I could have made.
    Disregard CR and there are still numerous facts available that support what I have said in the last few posts.

The only fact I saw you post was that CR recommends the CR-V over the Escape. Big deal.

Plenty of people here refuse to believe published data. Not sure what else to say.

There's nothing wrong with believing published data and I never said that there was. What's wrong is that people, yourself included, present those data as fact which they are not. It's plain wrong to do so and it is misleading to others. Even CR calls their annual issue a "guide" rather than a "factbook" or "manual".

From post #8100 I for one don't trash the Escape. As the thread states I compare it to a CR-V and I think it's clear that all the evidence points to the CR-V being the superior vehicle.

For some the Escape might meet their needs better than the CR-V, but the CR-V is the better overall vehicle in terms of quality, reliability, resale value and engineering.

If someone doesn't agree with this assessment they are ignoring the facts or interpreting them incorrectly.

This is ironic because by calling the evidence (things you mentioned like resale ratings, reliability ratings, etc.) you use to make a purchase decision facts you are actually the one mis-interpreting the evidence since evidence can be refuted but facts can't. Therefore evidence is not a fact.

A fact is a 100% truth. All those ratings out there are nothing more than averages. Saying the CR-V is more reliable than the Escape is a fact is not true simply because you can get a CR-V that is a lemon. It is more reliable on average as far as we know because that's all that's presented to us. How much more isn't even obtainable from those publications because they don't use equal sample sizes nor do they verify that the owners submitting the surveys actually own the vehicles they are rating. The latter is probably a very small problem but a problem nonetheless.

Maybe I'm mis-interpreting your statement?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Plenty of people here refuse to believe published data.

I think Consumer Reports provided cause to be at least somewhat skeptical with the retraction of their Car Seat Report.

tidester, host