Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    cross terrains come in 2 flavors, oem(420 treadwear rating) and primo(700 treadwear rating). maybe they both ride the same.
    one thing i don't like about homelink is that anyone with your car can get in your garage. i like being able to take my remote with me when i want to.
    5 year ago, ford took a car platform(626), made an entry level suv. 5 years later with minimal changes to the escape, the competition is still trying to convince everyone they are better. ford sure is stupid. ;)
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The 02 and 03 Accord are completely different cars with different engines as well as transmissions. :confuse:

As for the CR-V, here's the 200-2004 gearing.

And for 2005

So, as you can see, the lowest gears on the early models were actually slightly more aggressive than the new ones. The real changes are in the top 3 gears to make the CR-V both smoother shifting and more fuel efficient.
    4 years ago, Honda build an entry level SUV using a Civic platform with a 4 cyl engine. And sold more units than the Escape with both an I4 and a V6.

After a year of that, Ford started using bigger and bigger incentives to retain the sales crown. Meanwhile Honda dealers were getting MSRP for the CR-V.

Ford aint stupid. But they sure do have to work hard just to compete with a little buggy from a company that never built an SUV before 1996.
    don't forget the tribute and mariner.
    honda is not getting msrp for the cr-v. maybe when they only made a few, not anymore.
  • I have been following this debate for a little while now. It seems to be the most active on the CRV board. This is funny to me because no one on either side of the argument seems like they would even consider purchasing the other vehicle.

I know that when I was looking for a small SUV (I have an '06 CRV-SE) I never even considered the Escape. That doesn't mean it is a bad car. I actually rented one 2 years ago and drove it from NC to Rochester NY and back. The way back was through a blizzard and the little truck handled the terrible weather without blinking. Still, I don't trust the reliability of the Escape. As far as engine performance, who cares! They both have enough power for everyday driving unless you drive like an idiot. If you need to tow then the CRV probably isn't the best choice but even then I don't think people who were considering a CRV would go to the Escape next.

The pools of potential buyers for these two vehicles, in my opinion, are mutually exclusive so why all the bickering?
    you hit the nail on the head. neither 'camp' will consider the other(with an exception). my wife would not even get near a cr-v after riding in one, owned by a relative. the choice was an escape. end of story, at least for us. right now, all we have are fords.
    was that new vehicle thread worth giving up the cr-v, just for the fun of posting? it cannot compete. sorry, tired.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    You quote the highest recorded 0-60 time for the Escape of 10seconds.. get out on the net do a google search.. average is about in the mid 8's... Also.. There is a sight that posts 10.7 0-60 for the CRV automatic...Why don't you bring this up?

Why rely on HEARSAY, when I did my own comparo. I have BOTH, do you?

I have a manual CR-V. So, I can only compare what I have.
    2005 CR-V EX 5 MAN and 2005 Escape XLT auto. IF there were an Escape XLT (V6) with stick, I would have compared that.
    Your 0-60 numbers won't fly.. Anyone doing research on the CRV on 0-60 times need only do a web search and see the average 0-60 is about 8.5.. I said.. AVERAGE..

See the post ABOVE. I did my own comparo. Did you do your own?
    At typical Honda owner statement once again... With nothing to back it up. What "problems"? It is already known the Escape had problems its FIRST year. I also notice how when Honda folks bring this up they just list the problems. They fail to mention not all the problems affected all Escapes/Tributes in that model year. It was certain build lots/dates. Once again a Honda owner beating the drum and putting out mis-information.

Let's see, you keep harping about the massive cover up on Hondas end. How dare they not call you and ask you if it were OK to turn the engine 180°. And you keep on saying that ALL CR-V's burst in flames, even though we know it is only 5% max, and it is due to human NEGLIGENCE during oil change and not due to design. HOWEVER, Ford has just added another recall to the list of recalls for Escape.

So, yes, typical Honda owner would tell the truth, rather than half-truths and baseless/factless accusations.
    5 year ago, ford took a car platform(626), made an entry level suv. 5 years later with minimal changes to the escape, the competition is still trying to convince everyone they are better. ford sure is stupid.

First Toyota took a Corolla ptaform and made RAV4, coincidentally, Honda took Civic platform and came out with CR-V in 1996. Where was Ford in 1996? Took them quite a few years to realize that this is what people wanted. They took a midsize platform to make a mediocre vehicle with mediocre reliabity and mediocre fuel efficiency. Then they threw in a slew of incentives to make the gullible people think that they were getting a good deal. Seems like Ford never cought up to Honda and Toyota. So, yes, other makes, like KIA and Hyundai (same company now) are probably striving to catch up to Ford. But Ford is still catching up to Honda and Toyota. Looks like Ford is giving up anyway, I hear there is no more Escape/Trubite after 2007. There is a new 2006 RAV4 and 2007 CR-V coming out. No Escape, I guess Ford just realize they can't compete in the small SUV segment on price, fuel efficiency, reliabity and quality of assembly.
    I have been following this debate for a little while now. It seems to be the most active on the CRV board. This is funny to me because no one on either side of the argument seems like they would even consider purchasing the other vehicle.

I have both, no one else on this board can say that. I am the only poster who is qualified to make the comparisons. Everything else is OPINION. Hear me, Scape, Explorer... ect?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    No wonder he's a god.
    Honda dealers were getting MSRP (or within $500 of it) for CR-Vs through 2002 and 2003. Essentially, the first two and a half years it was offered.

Even now, as the CR-V enters it's final year for this design, YTD sales are up and Honda isn't using big discounts. Meanwhile Escape sales are down despite having used huge discounts and fleet sales.
    My honest opinion of the Escape and Tribute is well documented, already.

varmint, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #54, 3 Aug 2003 9:00 pm

What transpires here is another matter entirely. Without naming names, there are participants here who simply attack, attack, and attack leaving little room for civil discussion. This thread is what it is... trash talk.

If you've got a serious question, ask it in a serious manner. We'll answer it.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ... we'd all be better off with a little less confrontation and provocation. :)

tidester, host
  • I purchased my 01 escape at the beginning of the year. It is the XLS with 2X4 and a V6. When I was shopping, my original purchase plan was to stay away from ford and buy a CR-V. The first thing I test drove was a RAV4 and a couple of 02 and 03 CR-Vs. I didn't really care for the pickup they offered. The small engines made a fair amount of background noise during acceleration and higher speeds, above 45 to 50MPH. They have a slightly better fuel efficiency. The only comparable escape is the 4 cylinder model in performance. One of the CRVs I test drove, an 01, had a shaking problem. When I test drove over 16 vehicles, I drove about 5 CRVs, 2 RAV4, 5 Escapes, a XL-7, a Pathfinder, a jeep Liberty, and a jeep grand cherokee. The escape V6 literally threw me back when I stepped on the accelerator. My uncle, who went with me to look at all of these vehicles, agreed with me. The high performance V6, one of the fastest 0-60 small suvs, had a better performance than many of the V8 vehicles we had tested, and own. The escapes performance is sturdy and fun to drive. It reminds me of a sports car. I have the automatic 4 speed transition. The CRV wins in fuel efficiency, but the escapes engineering and performance are a step above in my opinion. If I was going to make the choice again, the escape is a better choice. I read about many recalls on the escape, some new. I have had no recalls on my vehicle in the time I have owned it. It has been a very dependable vehicle. It has never stalled or had to go into the shop for anything but an oil change. I do agree that the CRV is a good vehicle, but when it comes to performance the Escape is a smoother ride, better acceleration, and better towing capacity. I do like some of the options in the interior of the CRV, but the escape has alot of these options available in their limited edition and XLT.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    So, as you can see, the lowest gears on the early models were actually slightly more aggressive than the new ones. The real changes are in the top 3 gears to make the CR-V both smoother shifting and more fuel efficient.

if the final drive ratio is the same, I stand corrected, but with two different transmissions, the final drive is likely to change. Any word?

The 02 and 03 Accord are completely different cars with different engines as well as transmissions.

Yes, i kinda figured that was understood. The engine has a similar horsepower peak (5800 rpm), and only slightly more power (enough to offset the weight), making the extra cog in the transmission the obvious "secret weapon" to the extra speed. In fact, in 2003, Motor Trend called the Accord's five-speed auto its secret weapon to it's uncommonly quick acceleration. So, i repost to you, the inquisitive car icon :confuse:

thanks!

thegrad
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I actually rented one 2 years ago

Wow, what are the odds of someone renting an Escape? Wait...very good odds actually, helping bolster Escape sales beyond personal sales (making sales seem better than they really are in the personal purchsing market)and lowering resale values for owners one Hertz at a time.