Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My honest opinion of the Escape and Tribute is well documented, already.

I guess that makes my opinion of the Escape well discounted then? Wait, no, that's the Ford lineup... never mind.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    The high performance V6, one of the fastest 0-60 small suvs, had a better performance than many of the V8 vehicles we had tested, and own.

Maybe that is why Escape is SLOWER in every 0-60 test published and my own test with G-tech.

Forrester XT (260 hp?) is the fastest small SUV. CR-V is next with 100 less HP (160). Rav4 (160hp?), and then Escape V6 (200hp).

The only SUV faster than XT is Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

It is possible that since you have a 2WD your results are slightly different. But, then why buy an SUV with just 2WD?
  • "The escapes performance is sturdy and fun to drive. It reminds me of a sports car."

:confuse:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    return the g-tech. i obviously does not work right.
    the escape has been noted many times for it's 'car-like' handling. i agree with that. i really don't know about cr-v handling.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Yes, the final drive is the same (4.438).
    A buddy of mine expressed concern about fitting some cargo into the back of his Escape today. Along with a few other boxes and random items, he's been carrying around a folding table for weeks. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Our CR-V had one built-in the floor, how funny! I never really used this though...my aunt used hers in her 97 though.
  • nlv1nlv1 Posts: 28
    But, then why buy an SUV with just 2WD?

Tsk, tsk, thought you have already seen the reasoning behind this in the Honda CR-V forum (posts 15078, 15080, 15089, 15090, 15092). Guess you still have tunnel vision.

By the way, in that forum you mentioned that those who buy 2WD SUV are only wasting money and gas. However in this forum you are touting that your 4WD CR-V gets about 30 mpg (2WD should have the same or a little better mileage) :confuse: Just curious...
    Tsk, tsk, thought you have already seen the reasoning behind this in the Honda CR-V forum (posts 15078, 15080, 15089, 15090, 15092). Guess you still have tunnel vision.

By the way, in that forum you mentioned that those who buy 2WD SUV are only wasting money and gas. However in this forum you are touting that your 4WD CR-V gets about 30 mpg (2WD should have the same or a little better mileage) Just curious...

I still stand that buying 2WD SUV is a waste of money. My stick shifted CR-V get 30 mpg highway, a Civic hatchback or similarly Mazda 3, PT cruiser, Lancer R/s?? (or whatever station wagon mitsubishi has) All get more than 30 mpg.

If all she wanted was cargo room, hatchback/station wagon is a better alternative to 2WD mini-SUV. I had a 2002 Civic Si (hatchback) and was able to move quite a few things in it, like: Assembled snow blower (not a dinky 2 stroke, but a decent sized Ariens), lawn mower, Maytag dishwasher in the box, 27 inch TV in the box, 10,000 BTU air conditioner and 2 passangers... All while getting more than 30 mpg. Unfortunatley, I moved to Buffalo, and the low slung Civic was no match for the feets and feets of snow we get in winter. So, I upgraded to the next best thing, "Civic on Steroids" aka CR-V.
    "The escapes performance is sturdy and fun to drive. It reminds me of a sports car."

Porsche Caynenne is the only thing closest to sports car handling. BMW X5/X3 are not even close to sports car, but darn close to a car. In mini-SUV segment, CR-V is the closest to a car-like handling. Even the Forester a little rough on the edges. Escape is way into the truck category. Give, it does not drive like F-150, but it not as smooth and car-like.

I don't know what OP drover before the Escape, but it must have been an awfull car, Taurus or something. She should go out drive Accord/Civic, Escape and CR-V. CR-V is the closest to Accord/Civic handling.
    Have to disagree with you there. Both the Forester and RAV4 generally have better handling than either the CR-V or Escape. Neither of these vehicles are bad, but they're not tops in the class.
    If somebody loved all the features a CR-V has to offer, except that he/she doesn't need a 4WD because of where they live or how they'll use it, will you discourage that person to buy one? I would say that somebody who buys a 4WD that is not needed is the one wasting money. In Houston where I live, the 4WD might not even engage in the driving conditions here. So what do I get if I had bought a 4WD? Maybe a "macho" image because I'm driving a 4WD SUV? You're driving a cute mini-SUV so don't get carried away...

Don't boast on all the things you've loaded in your station wagon, I can also do that on a much bigger minivan. Yet, some people might not want the look of a minivan so they get something else and I respect that. I guess all I can say to future buyers: evaluate your needs and research cars (CR-V, Escape, etc.) that will fit those needs and your personal likes/dislikes (appearance, etc). Take note of constructive suggestions in these forums, junk the others.
  • Both the Forester and RAV4 generally have better handling than either the CR-V or Escape

Nothing like stating opinion as fact. Depends on your personal handling preferences.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    an Escape XLT V6 4WD with over 65,000 trouble free miles, Wife owns the Tribute ES V6 4WD with now about 20,000 trouble free miles. With the constant drum beating of the Honda clan about reliability... Those drums seem to become less and less as the miles rack up on my "unreliable" Escape and Tribute.... By the way.. Get out on the net. Go to google and type in "Honda CRV problems".. Whoa boy! will you be surprised Honda fans.. There are even web sites with pure and simple anti-Honda beaming from the pages. Links upon links of Honda problems, real people that have had Honda problems and are still having Honda problems... I thought Honda was perfection?? I love the internet! can't hide information out here Honda!
    If somebody loved all the features a CR-V has to offer, except that he/she doesn't need a 4WD because of where they live or how they'll use it, will you discourage that person to buy one? I would say that somebody who buys a 4WD that is not needed is the one wasting money. In Houston where I live, the 4WD might not even engage in the driving conditions here. So what do I get if I had bought a 4WD? Maybe a "macho" image because I'm driving a 4WD SUV? You're driving a cute mini-SUV so don't get carried away...

Don't boast on all the things you've loaded in your station wagon, I can also do that on a much bigger minivan. Yet, some people might not want the look of a minivan so they get something else and I respect that. I guess all I can say to future buyers: evaluate your needs and research cars (CR-V, Escape, etc.) that will fit those needs and your personal likes/dislikes (appearance, etc). Take note of constructive suggestions in these forums, junk the others.

The point is that if they don't need AWD/4WD they don't need SUV. They need a small station wagon.

I think the ones who buy 2WD SUV's are the ones trying convey an image, I don't know if it is macho or not, but they are definatley trying to be what they are not.

I would have loved to still have the Civic, but we get lots and lots of snow in Buffalo. As a matter of fact, it is just the beginning of December and some areas already have more than 4 feet of snow. The winter hasn't even began. So, yes, I use my AWD and VSC on the daily basis. When I did not live in the climate that required more than 2WD, I was perfectly happy with a Civic hatchback. I did not need to have an SUV to convince someone/anyone that I am not a, in the words of Governator, "Ghirlyh Mahn". My physique does that :-)

As far as loading a minivan with stuff, I can beat you with saying that I can rent a U-haul and load more stuff. I think you missed the point that a lowly Civic hatchback that gets over 30 mpg can haul as much stuff as much bigger CR-V.
    an Escape XLT V6 4WD with over 65,000 trouble free miles, Wife owns the Tribute ES V6 4WD with now about 20,000 trouble free miles. With the constant drum beating of the Honda clan about reliability... Those drums seem to become less and less as the miles rack up on my "unreliable" Escape and Tribute.... By the way.. Get out on the net. Go to google and type in "Honda CRV problems".. Whoa boy! will you be surprised Honda fans.. There are even web sites with pure and simple anti-Honda beaming from the pages. Links upon links of Honda problems, real people that have had Honda problems and are still having Honda problems... I thought Honda was perfection?? I love the internet! can't hide information out here Honda!

Honda is bareley broken in by the time it hits 100,000 miles. 65,000 miles is nothing. Come back when you racked up 200,000 -- 500,000 miles on the Ford.

Maybe the Escape is so well built and reliable that Ford just issues recalls for the fun of it. Sounds like a big conspiracy and cover up to me. Maybe Ford is trying to keep the Honda buyer from buying Fords by deceiving them with false recalls. Maybe Ford doesn't need Honda sales and does not want anymore people buying their products, so they just keep issuing recalls and pay the media to bash their products. Oh, oh, I may have uncovered the biggest conspiracy of them all, I better shut up, or the government will think that I know who killed Kennedy and where Jimmy Hoffa is.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,025
    I think the ones who buy 2WD SUV's are the ones trying convey an image, I don't know if it is macho or not, but they are definatley trying to be what they are not.

I think some people like the higher seating that a mini-UTE offers them over a wagon or sedan and those same people don't want or need a full size SUV or minivan or AWD/4WD.

Steve, Host
    Here, thanks to Racoon, is one recall for Honda.

I don't know if my wife is trying to convey an image with a 20K car (average price of cars nowadays), she's the one who usually drives it. I have my old '94 accord to use.

You missed the point that it floods in Houston and higher seating helps in traffic. You also missed the point that cargo space is not our first priority, it is the safety features (especially for our toddler). You also missed the point that we are happy with 29 mpg highway, considering our old minivan can only do 20 mpg. You also missed all the other points I mentioned in the other forum.

Following your reasoning, I could also ram it down your throat that Subarus & Escapes can tackle the snow in Buffalo, they have high ground clearance and 4WD. But you chose the CR-V, because you liked Civics and you liked Hondas. Good for you! We also like Hondas, and a CR-V fits most of our needs.

The point is that if they don't need AWD/4WD they don't need SUV. They need a small station wagon.

I think generalized statements like these are your problem. Guess all the countless people who drive and manufacture 2WD SUVs can't reason with someone who's as close-minded as you are. By the way, I read in another forum that someone in Buffalo was looking for a 2WD vehicle because he said he can manage the snow without the 4WD. Maybe he's just a better driver than you are?

Be careful about touting your physique. A well formed physique doesn't necessarily mean someone is not a ghirly mahn. ;)
  • HA, that is awesome. Thanks for the laugh.