Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I know, it's rough.

Actually, Honda and Isuzu did a little swap. Honda got to rebadge their Rodeo as a Passport, and Isuzu rebadged the Odyssey (1995-1998 Wagon Style van) as the Isuzu Oasis van.

I don't know about owning part of a company. I think it's kind of like they are doing with GM and the Honda 3.5L going into the Vue. What is Honda getting in return? What does Honda WANT from GM? My guess is cash, and not much else.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Wow, the Oasis! I remember that thing now! I don't recall ever seeing one on the road though. I couldn't find anything about Honda or Isuzu owning any stake in each other so it must have been an "I need this and you need that so let's trade" type of deal.

The Euro Focus/Volvo S40/Mazda3 and Escape/Tribute are the best examples of them working together as of late. They can put out really good products when they work together. Looks like adding Volvo to the mix makes exceptional products though and they should really capitalize on that going forward IMO.

Yeah, I'd agree that Honda is in the VUE deal strictly for the cash. They (Honda) could use a full-size pickup though. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    have you seen the euro focus hardtop convertible version?
    it makes the escape moonroof seem small.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I'll be nice Steve.. ;)

Ok, lets get back to the HP/Torque debate.. The question is where does the Escape sit in its torque range at 3600 rpms when the CRv has maxed out and has nothing more to give? Also, notice the HP max rpms? 100rpms difference here folks. These two go hand in hand.
    I don't know who said the CRV weighs more than the Escape, but your wrong. Look right here at Edmunds the CRV weighs about 150lbs more! Also notice how Edmunds con is no V6 for the CRV. Gee, wonder why Toyota put a rocket V6 in its new RAV4? Why does Honda put a V6 in the Accord if the 4cyl is so much more powerful than all these v6's out there?..
    Also, why would my engine in my Escape blow up? :confuse: Or is this another Ford inferior remark.. Getting old.. Escpecially since I have over 65,000 trouble free miles on my Escape.. Those who claim Escapes to be unreliable should really get out on the net more and visit other chat rooms/car sites ect.. ;)
    Buddy, buddy, buddy...ANY car can get 65,000 miles without costing a cent. Even lowly Kia (not-so-lowly now, are they!). Come back at double that, and lets see. I'm up to 158,000 miles on my 11 year old Honda with a total repair cost of a whopping $220, one part and 2 hours labor (fan motor). Now THAT's reliable.
    On a sidenote; have you joined Edmunds' carspace.com? You should! Its pretty neat, you get to see pictures of others' cars, neat shows they've been to, and some of their rantings.

Everyone should look at Edmunds' www.carspace.com
    I didn't until now. Pretty nice and it's proportions remind me of the Volvo C70 which makes sense. Why, oh why can't we get this here?!!! :mad:

I saw the C70 at the Pittsburgh auto show, roped off though, and it's a pretty sweet ride. The salesman guarding it popped the trunk for me so I could see how much room the roof took up in there. Well, it takes up the whole trunk save for a decent sized well underneath. The cool thing is that it has a button that pops the folded roof up so you can access that well rendering the roof-filled trunk somewhat useful dare I say.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,159
    Wow, that is a pretty hot little ride. The economical personal roadster market looks to be expanding quite rapidly IMO. The VW EOS, rumored C?? (Smaller vert for Volvo), Sky/Solstice, MX5 and now this. Just in time for the Spring :D

Damn, I want my convertible out of storage so bad right now :cry:
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "Which one of you said the CRV doesn't weigh more than the Escape?? Wrong! take a look right here at Edmunds.. Escape 3,298lbs, CRV 3,494lbs.."

That's the weight for a 4 cyl Escape. You were talking about the V6 when you made the claim earlier.

The base weight for a V6-powered AWD Escape is 3,464 lbs.

The base weight for a 5AT AWD CR-V is 3,428 lbs.

Now when you add equipment to the CR-V, the weight goes up. A loaded SE model will tip the scales at 3,494.

I can assure you, the same is true for the Escape. Add a sunroof, better stereo, air bags, seat heaters, and all that stuff to an Escape and it will gain 70lbs or so. Except that Ford never publishes that information. So everywhere you go, no matter which trim you select, the only weight information available reads 3,464 lbs. Magic beans, perhaps?

But when you do things like look up the hard data from safety tests, you'll find that they weigh each vehicle before they crash it. For example, the 2005 XLT the IIHS used for testing weighed in at 3,580 lbs.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    Honda went back and tested ALL of their vehicles when the new SAE standards for horsepower went into effect, as did Toyota. GM only did a select few, all of which went up in HP. Ford didn't retest any vehicles that I'm aware of. I do know the Escape magically lost 7 ft.-lbs. of torque a few years back, and I'm thinking it will probably lose some more horsepower and torque if Ford would be honest like the Japanese and go retest their engines. Then we would be able to explain much easier why the CR-V, with less displacement and cylinders, can beat an Escape to 60, which seems to be an all-important measure for cute-utes.

:P
    Watch what you say about those SAE tests drom. Domestics typically GAIN HP when re-tested while pretty much all Asian engines lost power.

Couple of examples for you. I think the Fusion was originally listed as having 210 HP from it's Duratec30 but when re-tested right before it went on sale it came out as 220 HP. Don't try to tell me the Mustang GT is only making 300 HP either. Dyno testing has shown it's more like 320 but Ford hasn't re-tested it officially.

The Escape's loss of HP a year or two ago was due to the engine being retuned for what I can't remember. It was done before the whole SAE test thing came about, early 2004 for MY05, and Ford openly discussed the slight loss of power. Plus the CD4E transmission in the Escape is a dinosaur and most likely sucks the life out of the engine which, if IIRC from the dyno numbers, leaves you with roughly 160 HP going to the wheels.
    I think the claim that Domestics gain HP is a generalization. Not by you, but by the press, which has followed this story. The reason I believe this is because oddly, EVERY domestic car tested has gained HP (or at least remained the same), yet they won't test their entire lines like Honda and Toyota did. Since, as some people have been kind enough to point out, Ford sells more pickups in the US than Honda does vehicles, it shouldn't be an issue of money.

However, it IS an issue of marketing, and I can't fathom ANY reason why the Big Three wouldn't exploit this, unless, of course, they have something to lose. As we all know, a LOT of Americans buy cars based upon mileage (thus the ridiculously low real world MPG ratings of domestic gas hogs), and anytime a company ceases to go for the competitive advantage, it makes me certain they don't have one. They leveraged it as much as they could already, which was to point out gains by a very SMALL sample of vehicles.
    how many make their small suv buying decision based on horsepower? thinking cr-v buyers. ;)
    on the other hand, nobody appreciates being sold horsepower that isn't there.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Honda got Izuzu as trade for The Civic and the Oddysey that Izuzu needed and sold as Izuzu Gemini and Izuzu Oasis. By the way, most of the Honda Oddyseys that are used for NYC cabs are Izuzu Oasis if you look closer. I don't think Gemini was ever sold here.

I appologize baggs if I misread your posts.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    how many make their small suv buying decision based on horsepower?

We know at least of one who keeps touting that HIS Escape has 40 more HP and 40 more Ft. lbs. and blah blah, blah, but still can't cath up to Honda in 0-60 tests :-)
    Never heard of the Gemini. Judging by recent news it looks like Isuzu could benefit from another trade with Honda. They seem to be in pretty bad shape. A CR-V and Odyssey would help them out temendously.

I appologize baggs if I misread your posts.

No problem. We all do it. You made me work for it though! ;)
    Since, as some people have been kind enough to point out, Ford sells more pickups in the US than Honda does vehicles, it shouldn't be an issue of money.

However, it IS an issue of marketing, and I can't fathom ANY reason why the Big Three wouldn't exploit this, unless, of course, they have something to lose.

I don't know about that. Ford doesn't really play the HP game right now as it is so I think they're just willing to save a few bucks and leave well enough alone. It's not like you're going to see increases of 50 HP. We're talking like 0-10 max in most cases. Probably not worth the extra cost given current finaces at the big 2.

Would you give the Five Hundred or Escape a second look if they told you they just gained 5 HP for MY06? Didn't think so. ;)
    Never heard of the Gemini. Judging by recent news it looks like Isuzu could benefit from another trade with Honda. They seem to be in pretty bad shape. A CR-V and Odyssey would help them out temendously.

Yes, it would help Isuzu, but there's really be nothing in it for Honda, now that Honda has a much larger line of automobiles than it did in 1995. Too bad it lost the Prelude though.
    not sure how your reply relates to my post about basing a small suv purchase based on horsepower. :confuse:
    if anyone does, it's like saying "i'm the best hitter in single A baseball" or "division 3 ncaa basketball".
    You seriously haven't read any of the literally hundreds of "40 HP and 40 ft.-lbs of torque posts"???

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse: