Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Henry Ford was an American and built an auto industry and has a history here in the United States and with its people. Next I'll here "New world economy" Yep, tell me how you feel when you have your job outsourced, or you get laid off.

As far as I know Henry Ford hated Jews and Blacks, if that is your definition of outstanding American, I am sorry but I have to disagree.

Whether you like it or not, the world economy is already here. The only difference is that my line of work is beig created here by the foreign companies (Honda, Toyota, L'Oreal, Haier, Hyundai, Nissan, Wacker, BASF, Omron...), while the domestics only care about preserving the wealth of the highly paid excutives (GM, Ford, Crysler, Delphi, Zenith...) while completley destroying the middle class.

I hav nothing against globalization, we can;t shut outr selves down and pretend that we can stand alone in this world. If you think that, might as well build a cabin in the woods, grow a long and wild beard...

I buy what has the best value for the dollar. If Ford, or domestic auto makers can provide the best value for my dollar I would buy it. Kia and other koreans are cheap, but I would not buy thei product either until they make it a quality product. They learned how to make electronics, GoldStar was just as good or better than Sony, but cost less. My parents still have GoldStar microwave that they bought in early 90's.

As far as job outsourcing, that has nothing to do with you and I. It has to do with the corporate mentality, where they only see as far as their nose. They only care whether they make the numbers this quater or this year, nothing more. Their multi-million dollar bonuses depend on the short term goals, rather than long term. Whether you keep buying substandard product in a foolish belief that you can save them, they will just get more greedy and still outsource work where it is cheaper. I would rather not support such behavior at all. At least I know that when I buy a Honda product, the CEO is not getting multi-million bonuses, but rather a fixed salary and a moderate bonus. If Ford and GM are doing so bad, why are the top managers still getting bonuses? I thought the idea of tha bonus was to reward good work and effective management. They have not accomplished either, why give them bonuses. I completley refuse to support that.

Good day.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    We just leased an '06 Explorer XLT. Your differences are correct on paper but not in the real world.

Explorer - no standard third row; extra cost removable third row available; Pilot standard seats 8 with fold-flat third row
    Ours has the 50/50 split third row fold-flat seats.

Explorer - 80 watt 4 speaker CD player; Pilot - 7 speaker 6-CD changer standard
    We got the 290 watt audiophile stereo with 7 speakers (one is a subwoofer) and 6 disc CD/MP3 changer which is also Sirius ready.

Explorer - 210 hp, Pilot 244 hp

Explorer - combined F.E. 17 MPG, Pilot 19.5 MPG

Can't change those but the Explorer does have more torque at a lower RPM. I have no problem with either the fuel mileage or the power from the V6. My father-in-law has an '06 EB V8 and loves the extra power from the detuned Mustang engine but the fuel mileage is pretty bad. I'm curious to see if it gets better over time as most engines do.

Explorer - 6 way power seat; Pilot 8-way
    6 is standard and is also 4 more than my wife or I need.

Explorer - Manual, single zone A/C; Pilot - Automatic Climate Control
    ACC is one thing I longed for but we couldn't find one equipped with it and the other options we wanted. The Mountaineer has it standard IIRC. It may also have the 8-way seat standard too.

We also opted for the rear DVD system, running boards, auto dimming mirror, auto headlamps, door mounted keyless entry system, and roof rack cross rails. Sticker was $34,505 but after X-Plan and rebates we paid $28,660. Plus Ford paid the first payment and waived the security deposit making the up front fees a good bit lower than usual.

We looked at the Pilot and MDX and were not overly impressed with either one. Not enough to drop everything and buy one on the spot anyway but they were definitely in the running and are nice too. Since we owned a problematic Honda in the past the quality thing is out the window. Then adding the necessary (Wife, not me) DVD player to the Pilot (I won't do aftermarket) required adding a bunch of other stuff we didn't want to pay for. Sticker for one with DVD is over $34k and I guarantee they wouldn't get close to the price of the Explorer even without our X-Plan. In fact, the lowest lease payment I was quoted was $60 per month more than the Explorer and that was just a cloth EX. I hadn't even asked them about the DVD yet.

In the end the Pilot wasn't worth the extra dollars and our choice actually came down to the Explorer or a minivan. The new Explorer is pretty darn nice and we're very happy with it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I realize that many of the features are just extra convenience or luxury features, that not everyone will see the need for. It kind of goes both ways there, though, as I see no need to buy a DVD player for $1,600 when one can be had with 2 screens for $200.

The point is, whether the extra features affect you or not, they are still not standard on the Explorer which scape was quoting (and my reason for that post), which makes up the price difference and then some. Keep in mind that I was referring to "Standard features", which is what most newspaper ad price-leaders have, and little else. I could have mentioned the EX-L Pilot with Navi, but that wouldn't be standard EX features; Just as you added features to your Explorer, even more upgrades can be made to the Pilot as well.

Also, I agree that the Explorer V-6 has ample power around town, as good or better than the Pilot below 2,500 RPM. When passing on the highway though, the Pilot ran away from the Explorer.

On an end note, the styling of the newest Explorers is much improved over the bland 2002-2005 models; I wish the Mountaineer had improved its look, and Ford as a whole had improved the interior quality to a higher standard; the features are there, now add in better overall fit/finish while keeping the low price and you'd have a complete package.

;) Congrats on the Explorer, baggs!
    It kind of goes both ways there, though, as I see no need to buy a DVD player for $1,600 when one can be had with 2 screens for $200.
    I hear ya! Wasn't my choice though. The wife actually gave up heated leather and a moonroof for that DVD player. I love our boys too but come on! ;)

The point is, whether the extra features affect you or not, they are still not standard on the Explorer which scape was quoting (and my reason for that post), which makes up the price difference and then some. Keep in mind that I was referring to "Standard features", which is what most newspaper ad price-leaders have, and little else.

Point taken. I think I misread something along the way and tried to show that you can get an Explorer with more features for less money. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, I agree that the Explorer V-6 has ample power around town, as good or better than the Pilot below 2,500 RPM. When passing on the highway though, the Pilot ran away from the Explorer.

Agreed. We don't do too much highway driving though and passing power is just fine from the V6 IMO. I have to say, I feel more confident passing in the Explorer than I did in the Escape.

I wish the Mountaineer had improved its look, and Ford as a whole had improved the interior quality to a higher standard; the features are there, now add in better overall fit/finish while keeping the low price and you'd have a complete package.

I agree on the Mountaineer but not on the interior of both. The Explorer's interior is very nice and put together very well save for a poorly placed door handle or two. In fact, it is so unbelievably quiet and rattle/squeak free inside that I still can't believe I'm driving a mainstream Ford. Some of the dash materials could be softer but they don't look cheap and all of the places you rest your hands or arms are padded which is nice. For comparison, everything in the Escape was cold and hard.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    Did I wander onto the wrong message forum?
    Did I wander onto the wrong message forum?

This is what you pick out? At least it was about a vehcle vs. another vehicle and not the world economy or Henry Ford's view of society! ;)

BTW, how's that Freestyle? I tried and tried to get my wife to go for one over the Explorer but she wouldn't budge. Too "station wagon" for her. :sick:
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Those who preach the unreliability and the vast reliabitliy advantage of the CRV.. you really need to go check MSN reliability data AND Where they get thier data from.. Then.. go check out the 01 CRV with its well know valve seat issues in the engine.. Hmm.. kind of wonder why you don't hear about this in the media??.. And then go check out and see how the Escape compares to the CRV for model years 02, 03, 04, 05... Gee, wonder why you don't hear this in the media?? Then.. go check other Honda vehicles and past years reliability.. I really have to wonder why you don't hear any of this in the media.. There is media bias/bashing against Ford/GM.. Here is living proof!
    let me guess... your not going to believe it.. Of course you won't..
    Like I keep saying get out on the net. Escapes/Tribs/Mariners are reliable and quality built vehicles... :P
    mean to do all this underlining stuff.. oops... :blush:
    May I ask what you are responding to? Who has preached about the quote "vast reliability" advantage?

No biggie about underlining...I mess that kind of thing up a lot.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    BTW - you do have 30 minutes from the time you post to edit a message.

tidester, host
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Then.. go check out the 01 CRV with its well know valve seat issues in the engine.. Hmm.. kind of wonder why you don't hear about this in the media??

You conviniently forgot to mention that Honda paid either full or partially for all those repairs even though the vehicles were way outside of the 3 years, 36,000 mile warranty. And the federal government did not have to get involved and twist Honda's arm with a recall to get them to pay for it.

So, Honda did stand by its product. That is what really counts. Can Ford say the same?
    "BTW, how's that Freestyle? I tried and tried to get my wife to go for one over the Explorer but she wouldn't budge. Too "station wagon" for her."

The Freestyle is great. Too bad about your wife. The FS is 10" longer and 3" wider than an Explorer, and about 5" less tall. You don't have to climb into it. It has no stability control because it has a low center of gravity, yet it has the SUV "command seating" position - you can really see the road. It has 22 cu ft behind the third row of seats, and the third row actually can seat adults. If you look carefully, you'll find that Ford raised the roofline over the third seats. And all seats are "stadium"; each row is a bit higher than the last row.

It has a very good rollover rating (about 1/2 as likely to roll as an Explorer), and 5 star safety ratings in all areas. I have curtain airbags in all seating positions. According to insurance studies, it has a much lower than average injury rating, better than the Explorer.

The car is built like a tank; solid and smooth on the road. Plus it gets about 26 MPG on the highway, 20 MPG in town (approx. so far - I have only 2K miles on mine).

The only thing an Explorer does better is tow - the FS only tows 2000 lbs.

I think Ford doesn't advertise the Freestyle because if they did the Explorer sales would really tank.
    scape-
    I can't speak to the magazines & websites. I only know that the four Hondas I have owned have been very reliable and high quality. That is the reason I like Hondas; first hand experience, not hearsay.

BTW, those Hondas have also had a fair amount of road noise, and have ridden fairly hard - but they cornered and stopped well. Hondas are engineered for performance and reliability. They do have to be maintained well, like all cars.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Apparently someone still believes there is a media conspirancy to keep Honda's "issues" from the public.

I read a fair amount of newspapers and certainly news on the internet. Seems to me that if there is something newsworthy related to Honda I read it. Same for Ford, GM ,etc. IIWM I'd stop trying to blame some vast conspiracy (is someone's paranoia showing?) and concentrate on the quality, reliability, price etc. of the vehicle (or brand).

So if Honda vehicles cost "thousands" more than a comparable Ford, what does it say when someone buys their Honda for below invoice? Tells me it must be a screaming bargain. And since everyone loves a bargain feel free to visit your local Honda dealer to get yours ;).

hondachef2006, "Honda CR-V: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #2975, 21 Mar 2006 6:46 pm
  • dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    Apparently someone still believes there is a media conspirancy to keep Honda's "issues" from the public...IIWM I'd stop trying to blame some vast conspiracy (is someone's paranoia showing?) and concentrate on the quality, reliability, price etc. of the vehicle (or brand).

I think the real conspiracy is no one can seem to locate these Hondas which cost thousands more. They're kinda like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. I'd be interested to see either these Hondas or Big Foot, since all I have is a CR-V on which I saved about $1500 over a comparable Escape.

;)
  • baccibacci Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Just left a Ford dealer who informed me of a $1000. discount on an Escape if I financed through Ford Credit. Can anyone enlighten me why Ford would discount 1K on the vehicle for financing with them? What's the angle?

Thanks,
    Bacci :confuse:
    What's the interest rate? If it's anything more than 1 or 2 % they'll likely make money with you financing through them.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    Ford Credit was what really kept Ford afloat last year. They weren't making any money on their vehicles, but the Credit portion was making money on financing. The problem with their Credit arm is it has received "junk bond" status, just as the rest of FMC. For all the talk of a "Honda conspiracy", you sure don't hear much about this, do ya???

:confuse:
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I see that Ford has started to run their 0% / 5yr deal on both the Escape and Freestyle, but you also get a 5yr/100k Powertrain warrenty (not a B2B).

Odie
    But its ok because its a Honda right? Point here is people and media have been preaching and preaching how reliable Honda products are. However, with the internet you cannot hide information. As I have said. Get out on the net visit chat rooms. There are plenty of peeved off Honda owners around. Just find it funny how this valve seat issue never made it to the media.
    Case in point.. I have been a Motor Trend subscriber for over 20 years now. Another subscriber wrote in and complained about the constant GM/Ford bashing and personal comments of the writers. I also wrote an e-mail that pointed out just 4 of the many in this last issue. Also how the 07 Camry had no flaws??!! no duragatory comments..
    Media bias is there...