Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    not everyone is a troll!

Some trolls are owners and some are not. Thankfully, they are relatively rare. :)

tidester, host
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Hey John (stevedebi),
    Why don't you tell dromedarius what a flop the Freestyle is. ;)

It's an obvious upgrade option for a CR-V or Escape owner but which one is it more like?

This very well might be the missing link between the two camps present in this thread. :surprise:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I consider the timing belt a maintenance cost, since EVERY car with this belt should have it replaced at the recommended interval (just like transmission fluid, oil changes, etc...). The timing belt was changed a little early at 87k, and is due for another one at 177k.

It's ok, I did misunderstand, and any unkindness wasn't meant.

The $300 was to replace the main cooling fan motor(radiator fan). It just completely failed last summer (bad timing).
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    I think maintenance is part of the Total Cost of Ownership (title case in deference to the TCO tool).

My minivan maintenance has cost me $2,809.96 over 109,000 miles. That includes brakes, oil, tires, battery, bulbs, IM inspections, etc. Parts that failed would be a CV boot/axle at $169 plus some stuff that was replaced under warranty early on, like the wiper switch and power window motor. That doesn't count, right? :shades:

Got a handle on the other number?

My total operating expenses for the van, not counting depreciation, is $16,636 over ~7+ years or .18 a mile (per Excel anyway). Double that for the depreciation. :cry:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I consider the timing belt a maintenance cost, since EVERY car with this belt should have it replaced at the recommended interval (just like transmission fluid, oil changes, etc...). The timing belt was changed a little early at 87k, and is due for another one at 177k.

I consider it routine maintenance as well but I was just curious as to how much it cost to replace. Most, if not all now, Fords use a timing chain and don't require that extra visit. Those that did have a belt were not in danger of valve interference and didn't get destroyed. I realize Honda finally woke up and began using chains recently but I feel too many people were ripped off when having to deal with that belt. It's not cheap right?

I wish some numbers were available to show how many people destroyed their engines simply because they didn't follow the maintenace schedule. I bet the data are eye opening.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I wish some numbers were available to show how many people destroyed their engines simply because they didn't follow the maintenace schedule. I bet the data are eye opening.

That would apply to any car.
    That would apply to any car.

Yes it would but as I stated Ford's engines typically are not of the interference type and Honda's are. If both have the same failure rate for timing belts then Honda owners are the big losers.

As a side note an interference type motor is not a bad thing at all. This type of engine is typically built with tighter tolerances and more efficient which is the definition of a modern Honda engine. Just maintain the stupid belt if you have one!
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Why don't you tell dromedarius what a flop the Freestyle is. ;)

It's an obvious upgrade option for a CR-V or Escape owner but which one is it more like? "

Well, it is styled like a Ford Explorer, which is similar to the Escape styling, though updated last year. So it looks more like an Escape. However, it runs 4000lbs, has a CVT, and can seat 7 comfortably and still have 22 CuFt behind the 3rd seat. No comparison on ride to either CR-V or Escape - no surprise there due to the longer wheelbase.

However, the Freestyle drives like a Volvo, which is the platform upon which it is based.

The FS is selling pretty well, considering the fact the Ford doesn't advertise it at all. I think they're afraid of destroying their Explorer sales. The FS is a much better family car for those who do not need towing.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "Now I'm curious if anyone in here has had their CR-V or Escape for more than, let's say, 6 years and 80,000 miles?"

Don't have it anymore, but I had my CR-V for almost 7 years and 114,000 miles.
    "Lacking? I disagree. Toyota has been trying for years without any major success (that one was renamed too if you recall) and Nissan is struggling along now."

How long has Ford been selling the F series? 50 years?

Toyota has been in the market for what? A decade? And Toyota would bring the total number of competitors in the field to four. The number of nameplates in the mid-size sedan market is something like three or four times that of the big truck market. And that market has been competitive since the dawn of the automobile.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Right, it (timing belt replacement) isn't cheap...somewhere between $300 and $400 with water pump and labor. Lucky for me, it wasn't my car when this was done, but my grandmother's. She gave it to me shortly thereafter on my 15th Bday as a gift.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    Ok Varmint, you qualify. :shades:

Now, what was your TCO for those 7 years?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hmmm... lemme see...

$500 because I was dumb and got the distributor wet while cleaning out the engine bay. (Off-roading in the mud suddenly got expensive.)

2 new sets of wiper blades. What do those go for?

5 new tires. (4 replaced when they wore out. 1 replaced due to a gash in the sidewall.) I think those tires ran about $77 each.

Oil changes every 4-5K miles. Call it 25 changes at approx $33 bucks per change... $825.

I'd have to check my receipts for the cost of brake pad replacement. I changed the rear diff fluid twice. Plus air filters and other scheduled maintenance.

I averaged 25+ mpg over the life of the vehicle, so I probably killed about 4,560 dinosaurs. The price of dino juice has varied over the years, but if we used today's prices (my area) we're looking at 11,628 freakin' dollars.

Bought the rig for $19,500.

That doesn't include the costs for the two rear-enders as those were covered by insurance.
    Toyota has been in the market for what? A decade?

Roughly, yes. About how long Hyundai has been in any market and look at them now. Like I said, it doesn't take long anymore. Why do you think everyone is so worried about China now?

And Toyota would bring the total number of competitors in the field to four. The number of nameplates in the mid-size sedan market is something like three or four times that of the big truck market. And that market has been competitive since the dawn of the automobile.

The number of competitors in the mid-size car market is so big because companies like Ford and GM have multiple entries. The margin isn't so wide when you look at it that way.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Roughly, yes. About how long Hyundai has been in any market and look at them now. Like I said, it doesn't take long anymore. Why do you think everyone is so worried about China now?

Hyundai has been selling in the US for 20 years now. Anyone remember Hyundai Excel? What a POS it was.

The best they can do so far is to copy Accord's rear end and Camry's front end styling and call it their bread and butter warrior.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    The best they can do so far is to copy Accord's rear end and Camry's front end styling and call it their bread and butter warrior.

And they do it at a significantly lower price point, with a longer warranty, etc.

What exactly does a car from 20 years ago have to do with the brand today? Isn't that what many say here about domestic products? 20 (actually probably 30 or more) people said similar things about Honda vehicles.

Hyundai, IMHO is a formidable competitor to Honda.
    Back to topic.

From an article in USA Today. I guess those Hybrids aren't moving.

Last week, Ford announced nationwide zero-percent financing for its Escape Hybrid sport-utility vehicle. Mazda is offering an 0.9% annual percentage rate on some of its models, Toprak says.
    From an article in USA Today. I guess those Hybrids aren't moving.

Part of that article should have been about the Highlander Hybrid as well. Both it and the Escape Hybrid appear to be too high priced for many consumers right now and the incentives are starting to kick in. It was only a matter of time.
    265 HP!

Note it's on regular 87 too. No mention that it will appear in the Escape as usual.
    The article was about how to save money in an era of rising interest rates. It wasn't about Hybrids. USA Today used Ford and Mazda's low rates as an example of how you can still find low rates.

AFAIK Toyota isn't offering zero percent financing on any model.