Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    ...confirmed the 2008 Escape's hand-me-down mechanicals are starting to show their age and lack of sophistication.

Not a very ringing endorsement IMHO. If I'm buying an '08 model year vehicle I don't want "hand-me-down" anything.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    i think everyone is pretty much disappointed with the '08 escape. how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?
    don't worry too much about the dyno charts for either, i just drove a 911 s, so they are pretty much irrelevant.
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    To me it's comical - comparing these two vehicles on acceleration. Who buys them for 0-60 time?

One thing is for sure the Escape has very limited cargo space, compared to an 06 CRV.

M
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

Me.

You apparently haven't driven one. The handling/ride is SO much improved over the previous generation. Not to mention the car is quieter, gets even better fuel economy, etc...
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    i think everyone is pretty much disappointed with the '08 escape. how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

I don't think it is.

1) No manual is available

2) Lost couple of inches of ground clearance

But, on the bright side, the interior job is to die for. And if it were available with stick, I would probably consider it at some point.
    1) No manual is available

It's obvious this is an important issue to you but to the 94% of American drivers who don't drive or purchase a manual transmission equipped vehicle it is a non issue.

Does your company cater to 6% of the potential customers for it's product at the expense of the other 94% (since Honda seems to sell every CR-V they produce)? Makes sense to me from a business standpoint that Honda produces vehicles the car buying public demands.

if it were available with stick, I would probably consider it at some point.

Toyota does not offer a manual tranny in the RAV4. I'm sure you can tell me which competitors to the CR-V still do. If it's a deal breaker for you I would think you would migrate to one of them with your next purchase. To keep it on topic, the '07 Escape has a manual with the 4 banger. I'll assume you're on the purchase list ;) .
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    how many think the the '07 cr-v is an improvement?

In most ways, they've improved it.

Personally, I cannot get past the front-end's styling. Aside from that, they did a good job of updating the important things. The interior is top notch; the handling went from good to great; safety is supposed to be improved (some tests pending); and they added some features which were missing from earlier models.

Despite all the goodness, I'd probably go with a 4 cyl RAV4 at this point. In many ways the CR-V is a more refined vehicle, but I'd accept the compromises.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    To keep it on topic, the '07 Escape has a manual with the 4 banger. I'll assume you're on the purchase list .

Yeah, but

1) It's a 6 year old design

2) Ford 4 cylinder even with stick does not compare anywhere close to a Honda 4 cylinder.

3) It will be a cold day in hell before Ford sees any of my money. Not until they change their business to cater to drivers (build what you can sell) rather than catering to no one (Sell what you can build)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Well it looks like there will be a next gen Escape seeing as Ford is investing millions to produce a 6-speed ATX for it.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=25198&make_%20id=trust

Word on some Ford sites is that the next gen due date will be bumped up significantly because of this. It has long been rumored that the next gen will ride on a modified 3rd gen (yet to be released IIRC) Euro Focus platform which the Focus is actually supposed to get too (finally!). IIRC 2009 or 2010 is when the new Focus based on the newest Euro platform is due.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't touch either of these small SUVs right now. The CR-V is just awful looking IMO and the '08 Escape, while easier on the eyes, is nothing new when something new was needed two years ago. With so many better looking and more advanced options out there now it's easy to pass on these two. And I've owned an Escape or two in the past and really liked them.
    I was just kidding. I'm sure it will be a cold day in ... before either one of us purchaes a Ford over a Honda.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I did purchase a Ford over a Honda 3x!! LOL!@! and have never looked back to regret too! :P
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?
    The new styling of the CRV is going to drive buyers away. It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...
    maybe i might buy a honda, but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.
    that excludes it for me.
  • "once again show 99 reviews for CRV and 15 for Escape.. Yet the scores are the same??? I would think with the CRV being so "vastly superior" it would have at least a 9.8? or 10.0?"

You do not get the whole thing of getting a accurate reading of what peoples opinions are. The more people surveyed in any survey that is ever done for anything, the more accurate it will be. If you have 5 people surveyed or 10 people surveyed, the 10 person survey WILL, without a doubt, be more accurate.

The Escape is already to 9.2 and it only has 15 reviews. Did you notice, usually with ALL the cars on this website, the ratings go DOWN with the more peoples rating being taken into account.
    For some reason the Ford people like to respond to posts that weren't directed at them.

but it sure wouldn't be a cr-v. overall, it has always been a below average wagon design.

Consumer Reports doesn't think so. Recent review ranks it much higher than the Escape. It recommends the CR-V not the Escape. And despite your interpretation both of these vehicles are considered small SUVs.
    any post i make is not directed at anyone. it reflects my opinion. i don't let consumer reports or any other source decide for me. i do consider them.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.
    Um, he was talking about he and blueiedgod I believe. We already know how you whole-heartedly sent your cash to Ford and are most happy about it. You got a vehicle that fit your needs and wants the best.

I dont think they meant ANYONE wouldn't buy a Honda over a Ford - there are far too many Fords on the road that prove that assumption wrong.
    It looks like a station wagon, not a sport utility vehicle...

Like all the other CUVs that have come to market that don't look like conventional "SUVs"...

By that logic, I don't guess autos that don't look like SUVs will sell. There goes the Murano, Edge, Mazda CX-7...

Don't count on that. CR-Vs are selling as well or better than they were before the 2007 came out. One look at market prices tells me so.
    my wife wanted an escape, so i did the best i could to get what she wanted. over time, i have gained some respect for it, despite cr-v posters trying to trash it.

I for one don't trash the Escape. As the thread states I compare it to a CR-V and I think it's clear that all the evidence points to the CR-V being the superior vehicle.

For some the Escape might meet their needs better than the CR-V, but the CR-V is the better overall vehicle in terms of quality, reliability, resale value and engineering.

If someone doesn't agree with this assessment they are ignoring the facts or interpreting them incorrectly.