Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Not sure what it is you're trying to say. Are you saying to disregard the parent corporation (GM, Chrysler, Ford) because they ship jobs overseas? It's amazing to realize how many Chryslers and Fords are built overseas, even in Mexico. Whereas many 'Japanese" cars are assembled here. My Sienna was assembled in Kansas.
    Anyway, obviously I am interested in helping my fellow citizens, if possible, and not the fat cats.
    I think the cars I am most interested in, the RAV4 and the CRV are both made in Japan. But I am considering an Escape/Mariner/Tribute also. I think those 3 are made in the U.S.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Not sure what it is you're trying to say. Are you saying to disregard the parent corporation (GM, Chrysler, Ford) because they ship jobs overseas? It's amazing to realize how many Chryslers and Fords are built overseas, even in Mexico. Whereas many 'Japanese" cars are assembled here. My Sienna was assembled in Kansas.
    Anyway, obviously I am interested in helping my fellow citizens, if possible, and not the fat cats.
    I think the cars I am most interested in, the RAV4 and the CRV are both made in Japan. But I am considering an Escape/Mariner/Tribute also. I think those 3 are made in the U.S.

My poiint is exactly, that if you feel the need to support this country, then you support the companies that pgenerate jobs here, rather than ship them elsewhere so that corporate fat cats can get more fat.

By the way, CR-V IS MADE IN THE USA, I am sure RAV4 is too. Check the VIN numbers when looking at cars.

By the way, Escape/Tribute/Mariner was designed by Mazda, not Ford. So was the Fusion.

I understand your concern about the parent corporations, however, corporate stock holders can be anywhere in the world. It just happens that right now GM/Chrysler majority of stock holders are the US taxpayers. But, many of the Honda and Toyota stocks are owned by US based pension and retirement funds, as well as individual traders.

So, if you hear someone saying that they "want the profits to stay here" they are full of BS!!! Profits go to whoever holds the stock in form of dividends...
  • CR-V is made in either Japan...VIN code J or Great Britain VIN code S and inported here. RAV-4 is made in Japan only and imported here. Escape and Mariner are made here in the USA and Tribute is made in Japan and imported here. Powertrains for the trio are a hybrid of parts from Ford and Mazda's parts bins but the majority is made up of Mazda parts.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    CR-V is made in either Japan...VIN code J or Great Britain VIN code S

That was true for the previous generation CRV, but I think they make the current ones, or at least some of them, here in the US. I also think they are, or are in the process of, building RAV4 in Canada.
  • I stand corrected...you are correct about the CR-V there are a very few made in Liberty, Ohio...VIN code 5

I work for a delaership.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    East Liberty, Ohio.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thank you blueiedgod, great point about the profits going to the shareholders. I must admit my density, in that I never considered it from that point of view before. I think that was the last arguement of the American manufacturers. If you pointed out that a Honda or Toyota was assembled here, they would point out that the profits go to a foreign company, as opposed to "staying" here. But, as we should all realize in this global day and age, the shareholders own the parent corporation.

I guess anyone could make an arguement that "domestic" cars are assembled mostly with parts made in the U.S. I think that's on the window sticker, the North American content or the U.S. content. I forget which it is, but N.A. includes Canada and Mexico too.

BTW-I think you can forget about deciphering VINs and just read the door sticker for place of assembly.

ChuckB a grniedgod
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    the chassis for the escape and fusion are based on mazda platforms, which were financially supported by ford.
    what was done from there, is usa, except assembly of the fusion.
    What's funny is that Mazda6, a Fusion twin, is made in the USA, while the "domestic" Ford Fusion is made in Mexico.
    you know what i think is funny, the cr-v has been redesigned how many times?
    we bought an 09 escape and still have our 04.
    a lot of it has not changed.
    basically, it is just a better vehicle. :P
  • The CR-V currently is on its 3rd generation (1997-2001)(2002-2006)(2007-currently) and the Escape is on its 2nd generation (2001-2007)(2008-currently) the fact that the CR-V is on its 3rd generation has nothing to do with how Honda's design may have flaws. Honda has always used a 4-year lifespan for each of its models up until the new millenium in which it changed to a 5-year lifespan. Honda adopted the 5-year plan to minimize costs of retooling but still maintain interests in new model redesigns without going stale for too long.

Ford up until now has not really establish a concrete lifespan for its line-up and for the most part takes too long to redesign its vehicles...probably one of the main reasons why their "car" sector starts out great and slumps badly towards the end of the life cycle (whatever it may be) of the particular model and end up in rental fleets rather then consumer's driveways (Last gen Focus, Crown Vic, Taurus/500, even Rangers). Just recently Ford has gotten the hang of lifespan remodeling in an adequate timeframe in the Focus, Fusion, and F-series. Lets hope that they adapt this in all their line up.

...and for clarification a 2004 Escape is a completely different vehicle then a 2009 in every aspect except dimensions. Is it a better vehicle? one would expect it to be, but "better vehicle" is subjective and lies on the eye of the beholder. I personally "like" our 2004 Escape Limited 4WD but I wouldn't say I "love" it. Ultimately it is my wife's vehicle and she loves it and if she is happy with it then thats all it matters no matter what I think...thats why I drive a Mazda5
    seeing that we have 04 and 09 escapes, both limited models, i can assure you the the body/chassis is pretty much unchanged.
    i will say they don't share much in many areas.
    the doors/steering/quietness/fuel mileage are very different.
    and btw, i still think the escape has always had better bones than any version of the cr-v.
  • Better bones?
    Do you mean the chassis/underpinnings?

I wonder if you know if the Escape cabin is roomier than a CRV or RAV4?

Thanks in advance!
  • By "bones" I take it you are referring to chassis. I have owned both and I agree that the Escape feels more substantial and much heavier..think solid. Perhaps the "heavier" feel hinders its handling because my wife's 2004 Limited feels lethargic when it comes to handling...not very nimble at least in comparison with the CR-V. The CR-V also is not very keen on the handling avenue but a bit better then the Escape. The CR-V does take the ege on fit and finish and quality of materials and build over the Escape if you ask me. So the Escape may have the "bones" you refer to but when it comes to fit. finish and quality of materials the CR-V takes the win.

BTW, if you want to compare apples to apples. I would take my wife's 2004 Escape Limited 4X4 over the 2005 and newer Escapes just for the sole reason that 2004 and older Escapes had a dedicated 4X4 switch in which you can turn on the 4WD system as in a conventional shift on the fly type and when off it acted just like what Ford now calls "Intelligent 4WD" which essentally turns on when it senses slippage....hmmm guess what? that type of system was already in place since 2001 in all 4WD Escapes it just never had a name plus CR-V has only had that type of system as well. So in reality 2005 and newer Escape became more gussied up and more like CR-V's...no thanks I will keep our 2004 in which I can let the computer turn on my 4WD if need be or I have the option to turn it on constantly. So does the Escape have more bones then CR-V? maybe but not much at least not your 2009. Your 2004 and my wife's 2004 are more "offroad " capable then 2005 and newer Escapes.
    what i mean is the basic design still works, it has always been practical.
    as a wagon, i like the top hinged rear hatch, glass you can open seperatly.
    as i am over 6 ft, i can fit in the back seat, and like the recline feature.
    the controls are pretty straight forward, so easy to get used to, even if you only drive it occasionally.
    we replaced the original tires on the '04 with some goodyear tripletreads and they track really well, and never get tripped up in bad weather.
    i do agree with some of what you say and some things are a matter of preference.
    otoh, i think you have the 4wd systems all wrong.
    one thing i like about the AWD vs the part time 4WD, is that there is less chance for someone to damage it. we had a service dept mess up our's to get some extra work(my opinion). it was repaired under warranty, but it should not have happened in the first place. the cr-v may have a similar system now, but it didn't start out that way.
    you know what i think is funny, the cr-v has been redesigned how many times?
    we bought an 09 escape and still have our 04.
    a lot of it has not changed.
    basically, it is just a better vehicle.

Let's see....

CR-V 4 cylinder vs Escape 4 cylinder

CR-V wins in acceleration.
    CR-V wins in fuel economy
    CR-V wins in interior volume
    CR-V wins in the sales volume

CR-V 4 cylinder vs. Escape 6 cylinder

CR-V wins in acceleration.
    CR-V wins in fuel economy
    CR-V wins in interior volume
    CR-V wins in the sales volume

Yup, in the upside down world Escape is the winner, but fortunately, we live in the right side up world, and here, CR-V is the winner. :P
  • There is no way a CRV beats a new 6 cyl. Escape in acceleration. Consumer Reports shows CRV at over 10 seconds to 60 mph. The V6 Escape at around 8 seconds. I've seen similar numbers elsewhere also.
  • I believe, at least for this year, the Escape is outselling the CRV, but both are in the top 10 vehicles sold.

I would really like to hear more from blueied. He apparently owns one or two Escapes and a CRV and is looking for a new CRV.

1. Is this correct blueied?
    2. Have you looked at the RAV4?
    3. Is the CRV that much better than the Escape?
    4. How has he reliability been on your Escape(s)?

I will be test driving all three in about a month, and would like your input, especially in regards to seat comfort, trip comfort, cabin room, reliability, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    we look for the most part, at what we feel are the useful features, like the top hinged rear gate, which cr-v also has now, and the glass that can be opened seperately.
    that way you can more easily stack stuff in the back or take things out with oout opening the whole thing. handy for removing groceries, instead of having them fall out when tha back is opened.
    our new escape v6 which has 240 hp, is so far over the first 5k miles, averaging 3.5 mpg more than our '04 v6 has over it's 75k+ miles.
    plenty of people like cr-v's, they must just be looking for some other attributes.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    Honestly, I own a previous gen CRV and have not been that impressed with it. I've rented Escapes and have not been that impressed with them either. The RAV4 is obsolete IMO due to its dumb rear door and cramped seating. I think it may be smarter to lay out another couple grand and get a Venza, Highlander or Edge. While the compact SUV concept may sound good on paper, I don't think it carries it off all that well in reality, and the mileage isn't all that different. The CRV never gets anywhere near its advertised highway mileage even though its well maintanied and gets driven around 70-75 mph. I get 22 on the Interstate and I expect the Highlander and Venza will do as well. You might as well bump up in models and get a nicer ride.