Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Just busy as all get out with both my kids in soccer and swimming..
    CRV great torque curve if it had any torque to give@!@! LOL! Lets see... 162ft/lbs of torque compared to the 200ft/lbs of torque the Escape gives....
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    The RAV has VVT-i in the 2.0L engine, at least since the '01s.
  • hondaman02hondaman02 Member Posts: 250
    Ahhhhhh let's see scape, 162 lb/ft against 200 and it still beat the Escape (Motor Trend) and ahhhhhhhhhh that article in Automobile magazine shows it to be a little more reliable!!!LOL
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I would love to see how well the Cr-v would do on the trip I take with my escape. I go from the Hershey area (where I live) down I-81 to Knoxville, TN. Try driving 8 1/2 hours straight in a Cr-v. There is NO way I would be able to do that. 1. the seats are not anywhere near us comfortable as the Escape (for me that is), 2. There is not enought leg room in the Cr-v for me. Last time I sat in one my knees were squeezed against the dashboard.

Then when I do get to knoxville, I usually take my escape up into the Smokey Mountains over around Pigeon Forge and Gattlenburg. Most of the time I'm in and around Louden (where my relatives live).
    My cousin had a Cr-v but she said it couldn't handle most of the hilly driving. so she got an accord instead. I have not had a problem with the hills yet. But then again having the extra torque probally helps.

Odie
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    First, it is LIKELY that your cousin had the FIRST generation CRV, which is SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than the 2nd gen. So, that would explain your cousin's opinion. The 2nd gen should handle hilly terrain well.

I think you are the very FIRST person on this planet that has put Ford's seats ahead of Honda's seats! Ford has never been known to make supportive seats. But, you have your opinion.

In regard to LEGROOM, is there THAT much difference between the 2nd gen CRV and Escape to have that much of an impact on you??? Did you ever sat in the 2nd gen CRV???

You could also argue that the Escape can be very tiring after many miles on the highway due to it's very high road AND wind noise. The 2nd gen CRV, on the other hand, is one of the quietest mini-SUV on the road (behind only the more expensive Jeep Liberty). That alone is worth quite a bit in comfort.
    LEGROOM?????? I weigh 240 at 6'1 and I have had both CRV'S and cannot understand what you are talking about!!!!!!! Stop exagerating for God's sake! You make the Escape sound like it is a Hummer!!!!!!
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm also 6'3 1/2" and 285 lbs. She did have the 1st gen crv. My neighbor has a 2002 and I did go look at the 2002 with my wife (she's looking at upgrading from her civic) and the crv was still cramped IMO. My wife is only 5'10" so she has no problem with legroom but with now being pregnant... looks like the escape now will have double duty as a taxi to the wife now too.

Odie (a.k.a - soon to be Daddy-Jeeves)
    That is very strange because I have driven the Tribute and found them very simular as a matter of fact...the same! Even the first generation was very roomy. I am not really following you here.
    What was your point in telling us about how your cousin didn't like the CRV's power (relative to Escape) on hilly terrain??? Ok.... I believe we are talking mostly about the 2nd gen CRV vs. Escape. Thanks for sharing us that useless input from your cousin.

Scape2...you are so quiet these days...how's your "off-roading" truck doing?? Gotta love that ground clearance! At the very least, you still can trade in to get the Ranger FX4 model...it is decent.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Odie - Intmed has seen me and my 99 CR-V in person. We met in Florida. I live in Boston. I drove about 2,300 miles or roughly 11 hours a day for four days. The CR-V works for long trips.

Oh, and while I didn't need to climb many aggressive hills on that trip, I did get 27-29 mpg.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Odie,

Ok, are you a spokesman for Ford or what??? ;)

Listen, I have driven my 2002 CRV from upstate NY down through the blue ridge mountains hiting Hershey at the halfway mark BTW, without any problems....

The Escape is NOT more comfortable!!! HAHAHA!
    sit in both for 8 1/2 hours and get back to me....!!!
  • soccermum02soccermum02 Member Posts: 47
    I once lived in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It is one of the more beautiful parts of the world IMO. The Smoky Mountains are lovely to trip to. If I ever make down there with my '02 CR-V, I'll let you know how it did. I have to disagree with you about interiors. Based solely on a test drive, I found the front seats comparable, but the kids gave the CR-V four thumbs up over the escape. The ergonomics of the interior of the CR-V is better IMO as well and since I sit on the inside and not on the outside, the looks of the interior mattered more to me than that of the outside.
    Once again.. please don't forget to mention it is a 5spd CRV AND you have to rev the hell out of the engine in order to achieve these numbers. You have to reach 6,000 rpms in order to achieve the CRV's max hp rating of 160HP..
    intmed.. Significantly more powerful?? than the last generation CRV??? what?? The 2002 CRV has 16HP more and 29ft/lbs of torque this is Significantly more??? plus the new 2002 CRV weighs 22lbs more..
    By the way.. the control arms on the Escape are boxed.. I was waiting for your link to show me where you say they are stamped thin steel.. Anyone who puts these two vehicles up on a lift side by side will easily see the Escape is built to be more of an SUV. This is why it tows, huals, pulls more.. and better than the CRV. CRV owners should have bought a station wagon..
    Looks of these two vehicles goes to the Escape/Tribute hands down. I have yet to find a review that says the CRV is better looking. The seats in my Escape are plenty comfortable on our trips.
    I am meticulous when it comes to keeping my Escape clean/washed/waxed. For those of us who have the plastic type bumpers. Try something called Black Chrome from Turtle wax. It helps keep the plastic clean and looking like new.. Can probably be found at any auto store..
  • atthebeach1atthebeach1 Member Posts: 5
    I can only speak to my experience with my 02 EX 5 sp. but I find the CRV just zips along Route 250 out of Staunton and on into WV on my way up to Snowshoe. That is 97 miles along a two lane roads and over 5-7 different mountains, depending on your definention of mtns, and end up at 4800 foot top of Snowshoe. I usually have my 2 children, wife and gear(winter skis etc.-summer bikes etc.)with me and there is never any problem with power. I use the gears and usually am around 3000-4000 rpm and if you need to pass that logging truck, local on there Sunday drive or out of towners not familiar with the roads just step on the gas let the VTEC kick in (4200rpm for my V) and wave bye-bye. If I am by myself CD going, windows and sunroof down, fresh crisp air and a few rays filtering through the forest canopy then just get into the rhythm of the curves and the miles fly by.

Cars can really be enjoyed and I do with mine and hope all on this board do also. I happen to find Honda drive-trains superior to other makes and that is why I have my CRV. I have not driven the Escape V6 except on test drives but I did own a 1998 Duratec V6 ( 200 hp-200 ft-lbs with dual exhaust Taurus Wagon for 6 months) and it was hard for the transmission to ever be in the right gear at the right time going through the hills. I know the escape is a different vehicle but I think the powertrain (motor transmission combo) is close to the same. I then went to my CRV and it sure is nice to have the 5 spd. I think Ford is making a mistake not offering a 5 spd. option on the Escape with the V6. The 4 cylinder is joke and you cannot get 4-wheel drive with it.

Just my thoughts and I hope everyone goes out and enjoys there trucks.

ATB
    BTW, 22 lbs. increase is nothing! What are you talking about?! The increase in power from 1st gen to 2nd gen is VERY significant...just look at the 0-60 times! I believe there is about 1 second or more difference! Anyhow, the 2nd gen torque curve is flatter with much more low-end power.

Look at the PAYLOAD differences! ONLY 50 lbs separate the Escape and CRV! Strange isn't it??
    What exactly are the payload numbers for the Escape? Scape2 never answers that question.
    For Escape is 900 lbs.

For CRV is 850 lbs.

So much for the V6 advantage!
    5 speed or not......40/40 hp,tourque should beat it BUT it didn't. Stop trying to find escuses. I agree by saying it is NOT as powerful as your SUPERSCAPE but it is soooo close it hurts doesn't it? Even the auto is only a little over 1/2 sec. off so keep trying!
    Intmed - Those are the numbers from CR, correct? I've read that, depending on trim level, the CR-V will haul from 970 to 1,120 lbs including passengers and cargo. This appears to be the manufacturers specs. (Does someone have an owner's manual to confirm?) I haven't found Ford's numbers for comparison.
    the relationship between HP and torque. Sure the CRV can carry the load.. But how WELL does it carry the load?? Its obvious the Escape will carry it better and more confidently than the CRV. The 40HP and 40 ft/lbs of torque advantage has already been discussed over and over again.
    Yep, my "Superscape" is damn super! I love it!@ it is reliable, quick, functional, comfortable, and stylish. Waxed it again yesterday and boy does it looooook GOOOOOOOOD@!
    Intmed.. Significant?? Nope, obviously you didn't read the differences in HP and Torque between the 01 and 02 CRV. And once again.. I will keep saying this over and over and over and over and over again... YOu have to rev the hell out of the 2.4 in order to achieve these numbers.. I DID IT, I KNOW. YOU have to rev the 2.4 up to 6,000 RPMS, drop the clutch/hold rpms.. GET IT?? in order to achieve these numbers..
    Scape,
    The improvement from the 1st gen to the 2nd generation crv is not only the max HP and torque. The peak is better distributed as well. Are you an engineer?

BTW, you indicated that you drove the 2002 CRV over mountains and you said the automatic couldn't decide which gear it was in, you said it kept searching for the right gear. This is flawed for two reasons....
    1. The CRV has a grade logic, it doesn't search
    2. You just wrote in the above post that you had to rev the heck out of the CRV to feel the power. I didn't know you can rev the automatic, you wanna tell me how?

Also, answer these points, you tend to ignore everything I say whenever you can't defend yourself.
    Yep scape.......hope your SUPERSCAPE is more reliable than the one in Automobile magazine!

Ahhhhhh scape, Honda engines are made to rev and it is fun to do it without it exploding! Even while you are winding them, they remain very smooth. I would love to hear the ruckuss (?) from the Ford 4 at that RPM!!! LOL!

I have to agree with dave, I have an auto and it does not rev like you say it does....did you not say that gearing had something to do with it? Use those engineering skills dude! Even though you have all this "Extra" power, my auto is only a little over a second slower and at 40hp/tourque that should not occur according to you! Please don't go back to the towing, hauling thing again as we all know that a 6 will outdo a 4 there! Honda uses the term "efficiency" to the max!

Yes you ignore topics a lot so lets hear some answers!
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Just because a company touts that it has 'grade logic' doesn't mean it won't search. Often the same hill will have varying degrees of steepness and sometimes curves (causing folks to have to lift off the gas etc)., I've seen cases where this make many grade logic algorithms ineffective.
    It can help in some circumstances, but to say that it's impossible for the tranny to 'search' that has this function is absurd..
    It is possible for me to be mistaken on this point as I've never taken an 02 CRV on hills etc.

On your second point, isn't it possible to put the Honda automatic tranny in L1 and L2? This would be a way to hold the shifts while letting it rev out.
    I will say this again. I have a friend who manages a Honda dealership. Upon purchase of my Escape we put it up on the rack. Side by side with an 02 CRV. The Escape is built more to be an SUV, it plainly obvious. More skidplates, thicker steel/reinforcments. This is one reason why the Escape is rated to to 2000lbs MORE than the CRV dave.
    I had access to either and both an automatic CRV and a 5spd CRV. The automatic was very obviously slower than the V6 automatic Escape. The 5spd was an improvment over the automatic CRV as far as accelertion. As I keep saying and you are just not listening or reading.. YOu have to rev the hell out of the 2.4 in the CRv and rev it to 6000RPMS to even reach its max HP through each gear. Drop the clutch and rev on dave.....
    We took the loaded down CRV up Hwy 26 over MT. Hood and this one had a hard time and did at times search for a gear. The Escape just cruises, has plenty of power/torque.
    Dave, Hondaman, you should have bought a station wagon because that is what the CRV really is! LOL!!
    Scape,
    you said "I DID IT, I KNOW. YOU have to rev the 2.4 up to 6,000 RPMS..."

You indicated you drove an automatic and now you are claiming you reved the heck out of it. Huh? Bess is right about how you could rev an automatic, is that what you did???

The CRV can tow 1500 Kg's, yep that is 3300 pounds! Look at the CRV's in other countries, same exact vehicle but not as conservative as American Honda engineers. I wouldn't tow that much in my CRV and I wouldn't want to tow that much in the Escape either. BTW I would rather tow with the Escape, but I don't tow!

So when I zip on down the highway accelerating on par with your Escape, I will be happy knowing that I am driving in a quieter cabin, I will be much safer and when I go to the gas pump I will save a few bucks!

BTW the CRV has more skid plates then the Escape, go park next to a CRV and compare!

Bess,
    The CRV doesn't search and is not based on how hard you press the accelerator unless you take your foot off of it to decelerate. The only time it shifts is when the hill is steep then flattens out a little then gets steep again.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Look at the PAYLOAD differences! ONLY 50 lbs separate the Escape and CRV! Strange isn't it??"

The payload is limited to how much the floor in the back of the vehicle can hold (suspension plays a big part in that too) not how much weight the engine can carry around.

"The CRV can tow 1500 Kg's, yep that is 3300 pounds!"

The Escape is limited to 3500 lbs due to the class II trailer hitch. It too should be able to tow more, but like you said, who would want to.

Here are the numbers from Carpoint. I used the EX vs XLT Premium, both 2002's with 4WD.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G29C21BB1
    Scape.....at least our "station wagon" will last according... to Automobile magazine you are riding a buggy! LOL
    Scape,
    Funny that you call the CRV a station wagon and you seem to think yours is an offroading beast. The Escape doesn't have a clear advantage over the CRV when it comes to offroading. The 235 tires are an advantage but you have to incur the cost somewhere when you bought your Escape. Guess what... I could put the same tires on my CRV and I would have 0.3 inches more ground clearance then you.
    Touché dave! as a matter of fact, I have been thinking about putting 16" wheels and tires on mine but only for cosmetic reasons. I will probably lose a few MPG's but this would be an option next spring.
    Hondaman,
    I have the LX, so I was thinking I will keep the steel rims for some nice Blizzacks tires for the winter then in the spring, if funds permit I would like to buy 16 inch wheels and increase the tire size. Despite loosing mpg and acceleration your odometer will read lower then it is supposed to which is a plus!
    That's ok because I am only doing it for looks and am not interested in trying to be a Formula 1 driver! That may be really important to scape but not me as it means nothing in the real world!

I have Honda mags and will probably keep them. I still have Blizzaks and rims from my 2001 and I think they will still fit. Great winter tires!
    Ford lacks cash to compensate for incentives. Continuing incentives may lead to a drastic reaction.

http://www.thestreet.com/markets/detox/10041251.html

Scape2 - As per usual, you are forgetting that the drivers have to rev the snot out of the V6 to get its numbers. The Ford's peak torque figure only applies at its peak (much higher than the CR-V's) and is less attainable that the 90% that is spread across most of the CR-V's rev band. While you can try to label the CR-V a high revver, the fact of the matter is the Escape's peak HP number is only 100 rpms lower than the CR-V and the torque peak is more than 1,000 rpms higher!

Yes, you have more power. No, it does not grant you significantly more acceleration.

It is true that grade-logic tranny can be made to search for gears. However, it is less likely than a car without it. Since the CR-V has torque available most anywhere on the rev band, it does not need to go looking for it.
    Thicker steel reinforcements?? That is just plain funny! I guess that is why the Escape did sooo well in crash tests, right?? (Sarcasm BTW)

Scape, the Escape is NO more capable than CRV in off-roading. But, i must admit, the Escape/CRV is probably more capable than your Ford Ranger! Hahaha

Little known fact, but the Escape engine is a CAR engine! Do you know from where?? Ford Taurus. Ford made little or no modifications when they put into the Escape. IT IS A CAR ENGINE! Therefore, the Escape engine has high peak torque. Power in Escape is very peaky (good for car, BAD for SUV)...UNlike that in '02 CRV. Even for a car engine, the 3.0L Ford engine is very UNrefined and noisy...great to cover the wind noise! :)

Of course, the Escape also does NOT have any variable valve timing to improve low end response. Double trouble?
    If you can't fix quality, spend more on ads...

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/020909/1258000476_1.html

• freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    ....hmmm extend the warranty and make it transferable. Anybody elso see Ford regretting this decision in 4 years? Their trying to stop bleeding cash now, just wait.
    Maybe they should try making it reliable first.......that would be the better method!!!!!!!LOL
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Someone was able to show the HP curves for the Escape and CRV (although the origin was unknown). I never saw a torque curve for comparison.. Can you show us why you think the CRV has a 'broader' torque curve?

Now, as far as 'refinement', I'm quite happy with the Escape's v6. The power delivery smooth, no physical vibrations and not excessivly noisy.. (granted a little more engine noise than the 4cyl CRV).
    Bess,
    I posted the HP curve comparison. If I was to guess I would think the Escape would have a higher torque pretty much throughout the rpm scale.

I think for a 4 cylinder, the CRV has a very broad torque curve but I can't imagine it having a wider band then the v6 escape.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I dunno - they seem to be turning a few corners in Dearborn this year:

Ford Expects to Post Small Profit for Third Quarter

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

to the varmit, hondaman02, intmed dog an pony show??? or better yet, bash Ford show??
    varmit, in your ever quest to devalue Ford, there are a heck of a lot of "could" "maybe" "might" words in your articles. Ford isn't going anywhere.
    intmed. I have taken my Ranger into places you can only dream of.. and I run across guys like you all the time in your Toyota's thinking you have some sort of magic potion in your axles.. 1998 Ranger with over 65,000 miles now and still runs like a champ. I paid over 3,000 dollars less than a Tacoma! and glad I didn't fall for all that Toyota reliablity crap..3.0 Duratec unreliable?? once again, misinformation. Please link me where it says the 3.0 Duratec is unreliable. Dumb.... its been in Europe for years and is a very reliable engine.. The Escape is more capable offroad with its larger tires, higher ground clearance and the HP/torque to pull itself around.. And the ability to lock in 4wd.
    How do you rev an automatic? Please read my posts dave, I had access to BOTH an automatic AND a 5spd.. I don't know what Escape your comparing to but when I looked the Escape had more skidplates.
    can the CRV even reach 200HP or 200ft/lbs of torque?? NO, NO, NO. The CRV's MAX is 160 HP at 6,000rpms no more, done, not 161, not 170HP, 160HP.. The CRV's MAX torque is 162ft/lbs at 3,600rpms, not 172ft/lbs, not 180ft/lbs.. varmit.. 162ft/lbs, no more your done.
    The Escape has an extra 40HP and 40ft/lbs MORE to give. Granted the MAX HP is 201 at 5,900 rpms.. can the CRV give 201HP at 5,900rpms NO it cannot.
    Sure the max torque of 200 ft/lbs is 4,700rpms, can the CRV give 200ft/lbs at even 3,700rpms, no its done at 3,600rpms. I would be willing to bet the Escape is right at around 160ft/lbs of torque at about the same rpms as the CRV's 3,600 limit. The Escape as more to give when the CRV is out of power....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... having fun yet? Let's ALL drop the personal snipes!

Thanks!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Otherwise you're going to be seeing a post like this :-)

KarenS "Why is the Odyssey So Over Represented in these topics?" Feb 29, 2000 2:52pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Could you please explain how the "car engine" differs from other types of engines?
  • bascottbascott Member Posts: 27
    Good call Steve! One more post in case you do pull the plug. It is obvious from reading this board for a while that we are all happy with our respective vehicle choices. I think either vehicle is a good choice they are very close. In the end for me one big factor was that I think my CRV will be worth more at trade in time than the Escape. I wish you all good luck with your CRV/Escape.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Trail Ride in the Pine Barrens of NJ. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb-09-21-02/index.html for details. It's a very tame/beginner trailride. All are welcome to come on down and join the fun and get your SUVs dirty!

-mike