Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    There are a number of ways you can split this segment.

Truckish vs. Car-like

Economy vs. Utility

Mini-ute vs. Small-ute

Fun vs Practical

IMHO, the CR-V kinda straddles the line in most all aspects.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    I'll give it all but Mini-ute vs Small-Ute and Fun vs Practical. It's within inches of the bigger small SUV's (probaly goes the other way too), and it just looks big to me.

I also had issues with its practicality (too many quirks) when I was shopping around.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    It's not an exact science or anything. As always, I'm sure everyone will have different criteria.

Mini vs. Small - The CR-V has the exterior of a small SUV, but the engine is more like a Mini-SUV. Most Small SUVs are based on a V6, and offer a 4 cyl to catch frugal buyers. The CR-V is a four cylinder design, through and through.

Fun vs Practical - This is a tricky one because "practical" is similar to "utility". The styling is certainly whimsical in its own way, though nothing like the RAV4. It's a runabout vehicle with some youthful appeal. On the other hand, it is also a sensible commuter car with good fuel economy, emissions, safety, passenger room, cargo space, and trick features.

I'm sure that if we determined some criteria for each scale, the CR-V would not land smack in the middle of every one. I just think it would be close more often than any other vehicle.
  • freeberfreeber Posts: 116
    Lots to catch up on...

Varmint: Great Princess Bride reference. Laughed out loud in the middle of my office.

Scape2: I read your response before I left on vacation. Quite frankly I forgot what it said now, but I don't recall any of it being offensive. (But then again I've had a post deleted for being obscene and never really understood the reach to obscenity) Is there a PM feature here? I don't much care to post my email to the world as I get PLENTY of SPAM already.

Hondaman01(02): You had a post in which you referenced reading through the Escape/Tribute and CRV trouble boards, yet you lambasted Varmint for suggesting that those weren't really good places to get hard facts on reliablility. The impression I got was he was trying to beat the Ford boys to the punch in stating that you have to take those boards with a grain of salt.

Whotheman: (scratches head...gives it a second thought...nevermind)

We can sure take up alot of space repeating the same things, can't we? I still say comparing a 4Cyl to a 6Cyl in just plain silly. Even if the difference is .6 Liters. I think its clear that Ford and Honda were OBVIOUSLY interested in 2 different things when they made these vehicles. Ford was targeting Ranger owners who grew up and couldn't afford an Expedition. They now had families and need to haul their toys around. Honda was targeting their standard core who wanted saftey and reliability combined with Honda efficiency in a larger package. This core also grew up and wanted to be higher off the road. Towing was never really something HONDA needed to be concerned with in their car line, and I would bet that still plays a significant role in why they haven't fully addressed it to date: They are targeting their existing core and that core never really complained about not being able to tow.

In a nutshell: Honda was designing a mini-ute for previous car owners and Ford was designing a mini-ute for truck owners. Those people typically have very distinct differences in their needs.
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    You are incorrect. According to http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsuv.asp

The Escape/Tribute outsold the CRV in July.

• np1908np1908 Posts: 39
    Escape is more of a truck-based SUV. Whereas CR-V is more of a car-based SUV. There are pros and cons in both the vehicles and both generally appeal to different segments of people. Of course, people may do cross-shopping - but the one that scores will be accordingly to one's personality tastes for a car-like OR truck-based SUV.
    The most car-like SUV are CR-V / RAV-4 / VUE. Perhaps, comparison of these three are more in order.
  • hondaman02hondaman02 Posts: 250
    Sorry bess, I thought someone posted sales for July but maybe it was June. I am not sure anymore.......Oh all this confusion!!!!!!
    WAIT A MINUTE......I said Escape not both so I was right but at the same time wrong!!!! Anybody get that? I guess I forgot about the Tribute!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    HOndaman, you make it sound like your friends Tribute was falling apart and going to blow up because the check engine light came on! Just a measly sensor???
    Escape is by far not a "gas guzzler" I got a strong 24MPG WITH 4 bikes 4 people, and loaded down with luggage, now I believe it was Diploid who said he got 26?? Trying to find the post... 2MPG!??? Not a huge difference here folks.. The CRv may get about an extra 20-25miles per tank??
    CRV sure gets knocked for its styling... Every review I read says somthing about its awkward styling, frontend, rear lights.. ect... Also those small, itty, bitty tires LOL! on that tall vehicle..
    I am not the Ford fanatic some of you think I am. Not like HOnda fanatics I have run across. First REAL problem with my Escape... I lost my Sub woofer I in my Mach 6 Stero system!! Thats it.. I'm trading it in!....
    First of all people ARE paying MSRP or above for the 2002 CRV!! Look on the net at other chat rooms..
    Seems kind of funny how Hondaman could pay lower than MSRP?? You lost bud.. by trading in your 00 CRV..
    Honda does not even advertise prices for the CRV in my city. They just advertise they have 1 or 2 on the lot. Ford Escapes range from 15K to about 22.5K for the top of the line, loaded models. This is not just 1 or 2 its up to 5 or 10! Talking with my manager friend, he admitted CRV's sell for MSRP or MORE! The resale better be good, you guys paid more to begin with.. C'mon, tell the whole story..
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    The Liberty is more of a truck based suv..the escape (and it's twin the Tribute) are based on car frames. So the Escape is NOT a Truck based SUV.

Odie
    Actually, you said Escape/Tribute in the post 1794 I referenced(so I assumed you meant both combined)..
    When the Escape first came out, it far exceeded the older model CRV in sales. Now that the new CRV is out, it is barely above the Escape in sales, and behind if you count the Escape twin.

Stick to your guns on short term reliability, it is one of the only areas where the 02 CRV has statistical advantage over the Escape. That doesn't mean the Escape is an unreliable vehicle, short term or long term.

Folks who think that Fords fall apart after 3 years are obviously mis-informed. I don't see the majority of Ford owners bashing the Honda, but it does seem like most Honda owners bash the Ford (making false claims, exaggerations etc). Why is this? Are folks trying to 'lower' the Ford reputation in order to make the Honda reputation seem higher to feel better about their purchase?
    There's nothing to be ashamed of for owning a CRV, its a good vehilce..
    I think your misunderstanding what NP means..
    The Escape definatly has as more truck like look to it, whereas the CRV, Rav4 have a more cutesy look..

Also, you can't really go by 'frame type' as some of the best truck like vehicles out there are unibodies (I link most land rovers are). Also Hummers have 4wheel independant suspension, so you cant go by that either when determining car like vs truck like.
    The Liberty advantages come mostly from the 4x4 setup (low range), and suspension tuning.
  • daveghhdaveghh Posts: 495
    Scape,

You get 24 mpg! Wow, you must have a super Escape!
    Wait, I get it, yours is the 4 cylinder model!

When my girlfriend had her v6 escape she usually got around 16 to 18 mpg, tires at the proper inflation. And she is a conservative driver!
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    My escape gets about 24-26 city and 28-30 highway.... I'm loving the mileage I get. (it only cost me $65.00 extra to get but it was worth getting the Tornado)

Odie
    Scape I never said it was going to blow up!!!!!! I asked for advice! Boy do you ever exagerate items on this board. I was very polite and only wondered what would cause that! Where did you get that from? Go back to 1775 and read again!!!

Bess, I will not say your vehicle is crap! Not my style like one (!!!) on this board. As you said, I will stick to the reliability issue because that's what counts for me. I love the Mustang if that helps!!? Can you tell me what a "vehilce" is though???????????????????
    "Seems kind of funny how Hondaman could pay lower than MSRP?? You lost bud.. by trading in your 00 CRV.."

blah blah blah.....................burp! 01 scape not 00!
    odie6l,
    Is that a 4 or 6 cylinder???
    FINALLY, I superimposed the Escapes V6 with the CRV's 4 cylinder Horse Power curves!

http://www.geocities.com/davekuhn77/CRV.html