Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    If one is interested in ONLY reliability and/or 4-wheeling when considering which small truck to buy, then by all means, they should buy a Tacoma.

However, if one is willing to put up with the "potential" for a few additional problems, wants to save a boatload of money, and wishes a better "all-around" small truck, then they should seriously consider the Ranger.

In addition, there are a multitude of subjective differences that IMHO, favor the Ranger. Some day I'll list those.

Of course, this might be all BS, but don't forget, I have owned TWO Tacomas prior to buying the new Ranger, which so far has been trouble-free.
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    I agree completely with both of you.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    pluto about now. he asked for it, stang delivered.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    With all due respect, I don't see the value in your links. The first one didn't post anything about the Tacoma and said something about the S-10 winning their "athletic" award. The second link about loyalty IMHO is worthless because historically people who own Toyotas keep them for the long haul and don't buy new Toyotas every year or two.. Ford owners seem to buy and trade in their vehicles frequently which would account for Ford's "loyalty" rating. And the third even said you can't buy a tougher truck than the Tacoma.

So at best, your links are very subjective. In objective comparison tests, the Tacoma has proven to outperform the Ranger time and again.
  • My links are worthless, where have I heard that before?

The first one could have chosen Tacoma all day long, but didn't. Ford owners don't always tend to trade in their Fords, That's your humble opinion. The point was LOYALTY. If everyone got burned like Frey44, do you think their Loyalty would be as great?

On the third link I did a search for the word Tacoma. It only appears once on my screen, and that is on the ranking of the 25 most wanted cars in America.

Yes my links are very subjective. As subjective as every opinion that is posted on this site. However the above subjective opinions come from a variety of sources, with everything from Edmunds, NHTSA, to Consumer Reports involved.
    Your first link from, AHEM, American Woman Road and Travel (are you a subscriber?), awarded the S-10 with their prestigous (LOL) "Athletic Award." I'm crushed my Tacoma TRD 4x4 wasn't a contender!

Second link on loyalty - what can I say? Toyota owners keep their vehicles for the long haul, what could be more loyal?

And your third link was nothing more that a buyer's guide, and it didn't even categorize vehicles in their ranking order. #1 on that guide was the Honda Accord. Now why would a truck guy even care about their vehicle rankings?

To be honest, your postings are on par with tbundy's nonsense. It's almost like you guys are competing for the "stupid post" award or something.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Here I am Tbund...
    I have no problem with those responses as I too think the Ranger is a good truck. It has advantages in several areas over the Tacoma. When it comes to general quality, however, Ranger isn't at the same level. On the other hand, I'll agree that if you're looking for a lot of options for the money on an above average truck, the Ranger is a good choice. I just think the attempts to discredit every post supporting the quality advantage of the Tacoma are a bit asinine.
  • "#849 by plutonious
    I don't know why stang doesn't just simply posts links saying the Ranger is better. Perhaps lack of such information is the reason?"

You ask for links. I gave you links. Now you question the links? Good.

Now you also question the Polk's loyalty award? You do realize you are getting all heated up in a debate about trucks, by guess what? Just one (and others) loyal Ford owners... :)

Also, if you question the "Ford Ranger" Loyalty award (for 2000-2001) saying Toyota owners are in it for the long haul, how come during the first 6 months of 2000 Toyota Tacoma was in the lead?
    www.polk.com/news/releases/2001_1023.asp

So can we discount it or not? The one fact is that more people keep coming back to Ford Rangers than any other Compact pickup in 2001. People who buy Ford Rangers seem to like them enough to buy another one.

You should research more on what you criticize. The "Athletic Award" was just another alias for "Pick Up Truck". Did you think "Most Likely To Change The World" was another literal category too? (It's really for Electric or alternative fuel vehicles).
    www.awroadandtravel.com/awards/criteria.html

More "subjective" opinions/accolades:
    carpoint.msn.com/Browse/win_4018597.asp
    Kiplinger's personal finance says the Ranger is Best in class (Dec 2001)

carpoint.msn.com/Browse/win_4018922.asp
    More Fuel Efficient

Carpoint's reader reviews even show the Tacoma leading the Ranger by 0.1 point (out of ten).

Finally, just letting you know that the Tacoma isn't the end all, be all solution for all compact trucking needs. It's just a highly recommended one. The Ranger, (and Ford) is not as bad as you make it out to be. If it was, then why all the effort to discredit the Ranger? Let's just enjoy our trucks and show the empathy to understand differentiating opinions.
    dont even try. pluto is one of those guys that if you caught a 30 lb. catfish, he's caught a 31 pounder. everyone on here knows how he is, and probably feels sorry for him. at least other toyota boys can admit fault (if they have any) with their trucks. he either blames it on someone else, or just accepts it as not being a problem at all. he is obviously is scared of the competition, or jealous because his truck is now old and basically obsolete as compared to what is out now. even toyota recognized it's own truck's safety problems and made it better, according to scorpio anyways. in '98 it got a 1 star safety rating for side impacts. that's got to make him feel safe when driving eh? yeah, im sure he'll come back with some argument about his tacoma being the best quality or best off-roader or something. its all he's got. you provide him with real world links, and he just discredits them. its just how he is. just be thankful we're not like that. and at least your links were current, and didn't stop at the '99 model year.
    Just last week I caught a 32 pounder!

I'm glad stang made me aware of the publication "American Woman Road and Travel." How did I ever get along without it?
    in compact truck comparo, and ditto it.
    what's it like to live alone, plutobundy?
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    You guys are hilarious; you are so emotional about machines. The Taco, Tundra and Ranger and F150 are all great trucks. They are built for different people, who have different needs. If you want a decent little truck to haul stuff, without spending a fortune, buy a Ranger. If you want a more sophisticated little truck, with more refinement and better residual resale value later on, for more money, buy a Taco. If you want a strong truck for heavy work, buy an F 150. If you want a smoothe higway car-like ride, and low noise, and spend most of your time just driving and not hauling, buy a Tundra. You can get a great reliable truck in ANY of them, and you could also get a LEMON with ANY of them (like I did). I still think Ford builds great trucks, in spite of my troubles (which I believe are isolated events). I don't know that much about the Dodge and Chevy trucks {I think they are stodgy looking}, but I suspect their are many very happy owners out there. Peace, all. I am going to go wash and clean my Ranger now. No arguing in the meantime !!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    And I just got done washing my Taco. The ole prerunner walked the dog in the mud all last night. Who needs to be able to steer in the mud when ya got ruts?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,911

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

If you've bought a vehicle online or are thinking about it, stop into the chat and join in on the discussion!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

get the feeling that edmunds LIKES to start things? i mean, this import vs. domestic thingy just fuels the fire. and then they get on us when these things get out of control. well, good luck to all who participate. i think we've beat that thing to death since october though. and come up with one conclusion- to each his own.
    They keep putting on crap like that, and then when one of us says one cross word, they send their little geeky hall monitors in here to tell us to simmer down. It gets on my nerves so bad. I hate being bossed around by such little nerds. Make up your mind.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Unfortunate AND very true.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I wonder how they will keep that chat "civilized".
    People are pationable about their vehicles, and the chat will get heat up very quick.
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    I couldn't agree more completely. As a matter of fact, I emailed the moderator about this yesterday after his little rant and told him MY truck IS better than his!
    LOL
    Tom
    Im not sure about the context and all, but what kinda truck does the moderator have, out of curiosity.
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    Doesnt matter what kind of truck he has mine is still better :) lol
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    it is or was a Nissan Frontier. Not sure if he still owns it.
    And it was a pre-Frontier Nissan 4x4. I am currently truckless and miss having one very much!

Every time I have to have a load of mulch or lumber, or some large item delivered to the house I get the urge to head to the dealer and start shopping!

There's nothing wrong with being passionate about your truck... but what has to stop is this personal battle that's going on bewteen a few of you here. Maybe you're doing it all in fun, but it doesn't come across that way to the casual observer... that's the problem.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

the problem is that you keep fueling the personal battles as you call them. I understand that advertising these topics may jut be you job, but I think maybe you need to tell your boss how stupid this whole thing is. Who cares if we have arguments anyways. As long as we're no talking filthy and stuff like that, I see no problem.
    it seems like it has quieted down here lately. im all for that. i dont think we ever talk filthy either. we're all adults here (although some time i know i dont act like one) but i think we can all stand a little vulgarity, although we never type it. the weather is too nice to sit and argue on the internet. later
    on my buddies to get ready to go fishing myself. The weather is absolutely beautiful here.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    can beat up your Tacoma! :-))
    Tacoma kicked your Ranger's tailgate!
    The idea of the boards is to have a discussion about pickups and pickup truck issues. Are people going to disagee about stuff? Absolutely. But the problem comes when that disagreement turns into calling each other names and insults start being hurled around. The problem comes when other users start to think that behavior like that is OK here and "arguments" start to pop up in other topics.

I know that some people actually enjoy flaming and being flamed, and that they do so all in good fun. But there's no way for the casual observer to know that. That's why this has to stop.

It's not about vulgar language... it's about keeping things relatively civil.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

This discussion has been closed.