Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=37774

http:// www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/keepup/b04-383927.htm

Stang, in all honesty, you think Ford is great because they spent $3 billion cleaning up their Firestone tire fiasco? Did they really have a choice? Had they not fixed the problem, it would have been like committing business/sales suicide!

• Visit the following link to see that Toyota has MUCH better quality than Ford......

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/keepup/b04-383927.htm

Once again, you cannot dispute hard facts! I'm glad I bought a Taco..........Steelman.

• I especially enjoyed this part, and I quote:

"In J.D. Power's study of new vehicle initial quality, Toyota finished first once again among multi-brand automakers, followed by Honda and Nissan. GM came in a close fourth while Chrysler and Ford finished fifth and seventh, respectively."

You know, this is just adding fuel to stang's conspiracy theory...

Stang, just curious...how come Ford's awesome quality control didn't catch those Explorers' slashed tires immediately? Why did so many vehicles make it through the assembly line before - TA DAA!!! QUALITY CONTROL DISCOVERED THE SLASHED TIRES - that it cost $3 billion to fix the tires?

Does Ford even HAVE quality control?
  • ...to ensure your customers have safe tires on their SUV's.

It was a bad situation, but the suppliers fault(Firestone). Would you think better of Ford, if Ford entered a legal blame game with Bridgstone/firestone to see who would pick up the tab, while the customers kept on driving?

Pluto--->Since you asked that exact same question before, I'll reply to that after I look up my old response in the previous forum(with the hyphen. ) That way I can just cut and paste it again, so you can bring it up again, in say, 2 or 3 months? Why don't you bring up the exploding Pinto's and the early mustangs that would spill fuel if rear ended, again? This is very repetitious, sort of like a broken record.

Steelman--->Yep, overall Toyota's definately do have less problems than Fords. However I do think the report is a bit broad, going off the makes alone . But I think we all know that the truck segment is a little closer than that report represents.

(Pluto Translation: Toyota Great, Ford not as great. Report very general. Ford truck better than Ford car. Toyota truck and Ford truck great competition. Many battle, Totanka!)
  • time thinking about such situations, as I bought a Toyota, not a Ford. It seems with Ford lately, it's one catastrophe after another. Toyota doesn't have catastrophes.

Also, what the heck does this mean?

"Steelman--->That's a true overall idea of quality. However I think we all know that the truck segment is a little closer than that report represents. Besides that is going off nameplate alone... "

Translation, please?
  • Are you trying to ridicule me? I guarantee you my English is better than yours (and my Spanish certainly is as well!). Really, this quote of yours makes no sense:

"Steelman--->That's a true overall idea of quality. However I think we all know that the truck segment is a little closer than that report represents. Besides that is going off nameplate alone... "

Yup, that's the kind of English I've heard in Texas...

Going back to that little slashed tire/quality control question. I know HOW it happened: newer Explorers being wider than the older ones but assembled on the same line which caused protruding equipment to slash the tires.

My question to you is WHY weren't the slashed tired noticed IMMEDIATELY? If something as obvious as slashed tires eludes Ford's quality control, doesn't that make you wonder what OTHER problems are buried in their products?
  • Ever wonder how vehicles made almost a decade ago have fared for themselves? Find out:

http://www.autooninfo.net/AutoonInfo/PickupRIVs.htm

That's just the truck page, but go ahead and research all you want on this site.

• sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I love the warning on the bottom of the page:
    "Warning: New Toyota pickups sold in the U.S. are manufactured in North America with parts many of which are sourced in North America and consequently may be unsuitable for a consumer with made in Japan Toyota experiences."
    Wait, I thought tbunder said it was made in Japan!

Bottom line is this.....Ranger fans will discredit every media source that the opposition will provide.
    Specialized magazines will be discredited for running Toyota ads.
    General-purpose magazines will be discredited on the basis of "What do they know about trucks, and why should I listen to them?".
    Other sources will be discredited based on "Who are these guys?". (and I do agree with this somewhat)
    I've said it before..the only way a comparison like this can be done is to have a long-term test, like 10 years, of both trucks, work them the same way, and see who dies first or goes to a mechanic more.
  • So why don't the Ranger boys quit discrediting our media sources and simply provide their own showing the Ranger is better?

I'm waiting...
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    this whole little convo happened like three months ago. why rehash it again? every vehicle has its problems. some dont. just cuz it says ford on it, does not mean it won't last as long as a toyota. just cuz it says toyota on it does not mean it will last longer than a ford. its all in how it is cared for. id be happy to put up my ranger to a long term test, problem is i think i have it sold to a guy who wants to come all the way to iowa from virgina to buy it. wonder why he doesn't want a toyota? i know, BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PREFERENCE. and just browsing thru the nissan frontier boards a little while before i drove one and decided against it (no room in crew cab for my needs), i find that they hold the same general opinions as us ranger guys- toyotas are really expensive and are nice trucks. but really, a frontier has very good build quality(if not better than other trucks) and more options, plus its way cheaper than any comparable tacoma (just down on engine output). same with the ranger imo, they're all nice. ranger is one of ford's best vehicles. again, ill say it. ford doesn't sell the numbers of rangers they do cuz they are junk.
  • is one of Ford's better vehicles. Perhaps that's because it has enough Mazda in it to make up the difference for the Ford in it.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    Did you decide to go ahead and sell your truck over ebay or what? I know it was there for awhile, but last I saw, reserve had not been met. Take it EZ, man
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    Toyota doesn't have catastrophies??
    My '89 4X4 3.0 V6,recalled-head gasket problems.
    My '95 3.4 V6,recalled-head gasket problems.
    Did Toyota get it right yet?
    kip
  • Is the best you can do is come up with a bad head gasket problem on a truck made 13 years ago? I rest my case...

"Did Toyota get it right yet?" Yeah, I would say they got the head gasket thing and a lot of other things right, the way they keep stealing marketshare from the big 3.
  • Toyota Lug nut problem/

Tacoma and Tundra
    Even camry's got problems
    Gulf Toyota at it again

So you see, not all vehicles or nameplates are perfect.

Scorpio says "I've said it before..the only way a comparison like this can be done is to have a long-term test, like 10 years, of both trucks, work them the same way, and see who dies first or goes to a mechanic more."

Well since mine is 9 years old, let's hear from someone on the Taco side?

How about the fact that one of the vehicles that tow my race car is a 1967 Ford F-100? With a Ranger badge to boot! Still pulls strong, engine just rebuilt after 220 or so thousand miles... A little rust in the floorboard and bed, and it isn't the prettiest ride, but I think rust isn't an issue older Toyota's need to bring up!
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    TWO Toyota trucks ,6 years apart,same problem.Most recent recall for V6 head gasket-1997.The problem spanned 8 years in MY experiance.I havent researched to see if it's a continueing problem.
    kip
  • No, you're missing the point, and the big picture.

http://www.autooninfo.net/AutoonInfo/PickupRIVs.htm

This shows how different trucks made about a decade ago have fared over the years...

• In all honestly, can't you see the humor in focusing on Toyota recalls for things like towing wiring harnesses and possibly faulty cotter pins in accelerators when there are Explorers rolling over and killing people?
  • Didn't like the fact that Toyota's Tacoma have bad lug nuts too? Better check yours! Isn't it a 98-99? And since you are in Texas, more than likely it had to be supplied from Gulf Toyota. (?)

I see you ignored that one.

Trailer lights? How about trailer brakes too? How about the line "Tacoma vehicles, due to deficient waterproofing and improper installation location " I thought Fords were only capable of such negligence. Ever hear of trailers that brake automatically if the power gets disconnected? (I.E. In the event the hitch fails, and you have a runaway trailer?) Why would a hitch fail? Because the sticker said the wrong Tow capacity. http://209.58.136.120/recall/a/014/v1102.htm

And forget the Explorer, you obviously are just gleaning the media hype, and ignoring the fact that accident per accident, Explorers have a lower fatality rate vs. competing SUVs. And Explorers have a lower percentage of rollovers than competing SUVs. Just ask for the facts to back it up!

I also see no humor in Explorers rolling over and killing people.

This discussion has been closed.