Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• My Taco is now one year old now and I've put a lot of hard, off road (woods) miles on her. The only two problems thus far are my broken cup holder and my dashboard has a tendency to squeak on cold winter mornings until the interior warms up. It is annoying but does not seem to be a major problem. Well, as you can see, Tacos aren't perfect. Take care......Steelman.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    I don't think a squeaky dash in cold weather is unusual. My Explorer does this too but it usually goes away after the inside warms up.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    The '97 Lexus ES300 I traded in on my new Ranger had a squeaky dash when it was cold. Must a common malady in a bunch of different vehicles.

The ES also had an ashtray that rattled if it was closed. I usually left it open so I could plug in my radar detector.

Nothin's perfect.
  • tclemonstclemons Posts: 31
    Sorry to hear about your bulldogs yesterday. I went to school at Southern ('70) and went to work for the government and wound up here in northern VA. Worked in Atlanta, Faytetteville, N.C., and spent 10 years with the Army (civilian) in Germany. Still have family in Hattiesburg, McComb, and Petal. They keep asking if I am "coming home" to retire. I tell them no, because they talk too slow!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    I figured they would mess up sooner or later. They were a really good team, but not mauture enough to be very consistent - and thats what is important in the NCAA tourney. Glad to hear from a fellow Mississippian. I know one guy really well from McComb/Petal but he's a little younger than you it sounds. haha. L8r man.
    The tacoma/sport trac argument may be a "fair" one, but you know as well as I do that it won't be one that lasts long for the Ford camp. Haha. Im not even sure you can hop a curb in one of those soccer mom specials. And even if the Ranger does get 4 full doors, we all know that things still will be far from "equal." Haha ;) Lottaluv buddy.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    yep, you got that right. the ranger will still state which truck the people want by the hundreds of thousands. a 4-door ranger will be bad for the tacoma. i for one, am one who wants a 4door ranger, and i don't think im the only one. if they build it, people will come. just more to ford, and even less to toyota.
  • "If [you] build it, [they] will come..."

The sport trac is still an Explorer... Which is perfect for any middle class mom with 2.5 kids. But I don't think it's meant for off-road ability, if that's what you are aiming for. However it would make a plush ride, if you didn't need a bid pickup bed.
    what I meant. Oh well, just when you think you're clear as a bell ... haha. ;)

A similar thing is sorta being hashed out in another thread. You might be right. More would buy the Ford simply cuz of what it is -- cheaper and a Ford. The fact that their reliability is just a shade behind doesn't matter to most. Still others are just plain blind to that fact. By the way, I am speaking totally with respect to the specific trucks Ranger and Taco. Some say that the extra cash is not worth whatever pluses Tacos offer - I disagree, and they might too if they weren't so closed-minded. Thank you for not being so. I just hate how Yota has this reputation of being so weak, thin, puny, and unable to take a whipping. You have stated that perception yourself. It simply is NOT true.

That is really my beef with the whole deal. Wasn't directed at anyone in particular of course. Maybe you Ranger guys don't even necessarily have that attitude. Any way that was way off topic. Does anyone see what I mean, though?
  • wrobelcwrobelc Posts: 45
    I'm in the market for a pickup and am looking at the tacoma. The last time I checked out tacomas was around 5 years ago. Back then you were able to buy a tacoma without the SR5 package. These days, all tacomas seem to come with this package. Does anyone know when the SR5 became a defacto standard on tacomas?
    its not standard. its just that toyota builds a whole mess of these at once, and whatever they're building at the moment, is what you're stuck with. if you special order one, it could take up to 3 or 4 months to get here and you will pay through the ying yang for one. check out a ranger, a loaded one of those will be cheaper than a non sr5 tacoma. a non sr5 taco won't even come with seats i dont believe. i know there isn't a steering wheel. too bad toyota doesn't offer more choices. for example, heck, in a ranger you can even get an mp3 player for those that care. or even a 6 disc in-dash cd changer. how about 2 V6's, or even a V6 in a regular cab? not to mention 16" aluminum wheels standard, fog lights, factory alarm, more interior room, more towing power, bigger bed, keyless entry, more payload, more power and torque, dana axles, standard abs, etc....etc....etc....
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Listen to tbunder. It really doesn't matter that yet another publication (Consumer Reports) rated the Toyota as the "Most Reliable Small Truck from 1994 -2001". Tbunder says that doesn't really matter to anyone. What really matters is all of the cool options and gadgets that you can order on the Ford. Plus the Ford is cheaper and you have to be an idiot to buy anything else. Do as tbunder says and get the Ford.
    when did i ever say to "buy the ford" and that "it doesn't really matter to anyone" about consumers reports? allknowing, i know you are grasping to compare taco to ranger, and that all you have are magazine articles to fall back on. but please stop making up stuff about people. i said to check a ranger out. its hard to beat, as toyota knows since ranger outsells it every friggin year. it all boils down to if he wants to pay extra for stuff on a tacoma that comes standard on ranger, and still get the ranger for thousands less than tacoma, sr5 or not.

hell yeah buy the ranger. more power, more torque, more payload, more towing, more standard features, more interior room, bigger bed, real axles (dana), easier to get, cheaper to maintain, cooler and better lighting system and front end, no sludge problem potentialities, a proven record of sales because people know it is a good truck. nah, i bet he'd rather have a truck that doesn't even have a clock in it, eh?
  • The more Rangers that I see, the more that I believe that the Ford Ranger is really just an afterthought for Ford Motor Company. It is like they manufacture it just because they need to offer a compact like everyone else. Ford makes great full size trucks, no doubt about it. But Rangers just can't seem to take the abuse of hard work and off road miles. They literally seem to fall apart after four to five years of hard use. I've seen a few around town here that are mid nineties models that are all rusted out and look like they are on their last legs. Yes, if you are a city slicker and not a woodsman, the Ranger will last a long time. But use it in the woods on a daily basis and they seem to fall apart. I think Ford should stick to full size models which seem to be their strength. Take care....Steelman.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Disregard tbunder. He's an ex-owner of a Ranger.

SR5 is more or less defacto standard on Tacomas. You have to pay around $1K for it, but it comes on 99.9% of all Tacos. It's got things like AC, tach (there are people who drive without those), wipers, CD player....basically all the nice little things that you might make your life easier.
    You could, if you tried hard enough, get a Taco without SR5. If you did that, you'd need to get options that you want piece by piece, and that usually comes out to be more expensive.
    If I can guestimate, SR5 went on trucks sometime around late 97-early 98, 'cause a lot of 96s and 97s (older grills) don't have it, they came as Limited.
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    Go to this website a read

www.carreview.com

Looks like some people aren't so happy with their new Ford Rangers. You can get consumer feedback on the tacoma, Ranger, and all small trucks.
    "hell yeah buy the ranger. more power, more torque, more payload, more towing, more standard features, more interior room, bigger bed, real axles (dana), easier to get...."

-do you know what the payload capacity is for a ranger (supercab, 4x4)? I tried checking ford's website for the ranger but it's confusing. For Payload and Towing, they only list "GCRW" and "weight." apparently they want you to calculate it yourself? Also, aside from being 1/2 inch shallower, the tacoma's bed is longer and wider than the ranger's.
  • eagle--->You are looking at the 6' bed. There is an available 7' Bed(or 83.8 inches vs Tacoma's best @ 74.5 inches). Tacoma's get a bit wider, except between the wheel wells where both are about 40.4 or 40.9 inches.

issi--->And we never have seen an early to mid nineties Tacoma or Toyota Pickup get rusty have we? 5 years ago my Ranger was parked 5 feet from the Gulf of Mexico for a week. It played in the sand, and the salt water waves and then sat without a wash until I got home. After leaving about 5 pounds of sand in the driveway, I know it had plenty of chance to start rusting. However, to this day, my undercarraige is unmarred by rust. It's dirty, but it isn't rusting at all. 1993 model too.

And the Ranger makes up for roughly 10% of all trucks and SUV sales(vans too). The Ranger also sells more that all Lincolns, and just less than all the Mercury's. I guess those companies are just after thoughts too? If the Ranger is an afterthought, the lesser selling Mustang is just a fling... (A 39 year fling at that)
    Is the 7' bed available on extended cabs too or just reg. cabs? I guess I was just trying to compare apples to apples: 4x4, ext. cab, V6. (and keep Tbunder honest)
  • Looks like only available on the regular cab, 3.0l 4x2. Two different models (probably an XL and XLT). This is from www.forddirect.com. In the past, however this site does not cover all the special ordering possibilities.
This discussion has been closed.