Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I gotta say that if Ford keeps losing ground that fast, Tacoma might just catch up with Ranger in sales in next 1-2 years or at least get pretty close. Ranger outsells it only by 50%, pretty bad considering last few years.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    In this rare instance I have to support tbunder. BMW's, until the last five years or so, were known to be problem prone. Their claim to fame was their handling rather than reliability. In the last few years that has supposedly changed though.
  • Is not just a glorified compass. Well it is that, but much more. Especially when you park one vehicle on south padre island (in the middle of a 50+ mile long secluded beach) and one at the border in brownsville so you can get drunk in Mexico. It's kinda nice knowing behind which sand dune all your gear is.

Or while on a business trip, you can easily find your hotel, the airport or other place of interest. Good when lost, great on the second trip when you want to go back.

A GPS is great if you ever visit the Grand Tetons (in Wyoming) or Yellowstone National park, or anywhere in the mountains with nothing but a backpack, two poles and lots and lots of snow. Kinda easy to get lost, or know which snow flurry is hiding your car or a meeting point.

And finally while you actually spend some time in the wilderness, a forest or mountain range. A topographical map and GPS is all you need to know where you are, where you need to go, and approximately how long it will take you to get there.

I don't see why either of you can even put down a GPS. It's only the next stage of your compass.

You can tell me which way is North, or North north east, etc.

I can tell you magnetic north, true north, how far any place is from you, how long it will take you to get there at your current pace, what elevation you are at, topographical displays, any special routes through the wilderness, what MPH you are travelling, and any waypoint or special point of interest. Some even come with built in barometers, thermometers, sun/moon and sunrise/sunset calculators. So either bushwacking, or trying to get back to that killer camp spot from 2 years ago, The GPS is the best, most efficient way to go.

Once my next vacation time comes around, and I decide to go camping, I know I can find some of the better scenic points out there without fail. And when searching for new ones, I don't have to worry about getting lost.

Heck I've found caves that National Geographic's Trails Illustrated topo maps don't even have marked.

Either way, once you get out someplace where you have little chance of running into any humanity, you might want a small handle tool that can do it all, instead of just pointing you towards the north magnetic pole. Otherwise I presume nothing about each one of you and your outdoor skills, except that those who camp in their pickup beds aren't really roughing it.

Finally, sorry for the long message, but I dislike those who really don't know, attempt to speak with some authority.
    One point forever saved on my GPS, Hawksbill crag
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    I agree with stang about the GPS I got a little handheld Magellan and I use it all the time. Another thing GPS is good for is tracking animals when you are hunting.
  • Very good at helping you find a tree stand or a hidden blind in some woods. Most GPS's will tell you where it is at within 10 feet, anywhere on the planet.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    the Toyota crowd hates to talk about HP/Torque curves and open axles on the locker TRD..
    The Tundra is doing awful! I remember there were claims this truck was going to bury the Chevy/Ford/Dodge..
    The new S-10 is going to hammer Ford and Toyota. The new S-10 is going to have the 270HP straight 6 and be about the size of a Dakota. I am not really a chevy fan.. but.. this truck is going to kick some b.... The straight 6 is a top notch engine.. chevy did their homework on this one..
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    The taliban sure buys enought of 'em !
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    WHAT is your problem?
    and as much as i would like to believe you are just having a bad night, (we're all somewhat of friends around here to some extent i think) i find that your namecalling and other stuff out of the blue is totally uncalled for. and im not saying that i dont believe you or your cousin about the military using dc tacos, i would just like to have some proof of it.
    was your post a joke that everyone mistook or what? scorp's right, its not like you. i dont even think i have ever posted stuff that vulgar. either way, it's definitely not you. what gives?
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    "the Toyota crowd hates to talk about HP/Torque curves and open axles on the locker TRD.."

What really counts is how much power is getting to the wheels...and no 4x4 enthusiast is going to trade in their locker for Ford's minivan-derived LSD, LOL!

"The new S-10 is going to hammer Ford and Toyota. The new S-10 is going to have the 270HP straight 6 and be about the size of a Dakota."

Power without reliability means nothing. That's a lesson all those GM knocker owners have learned the hard way.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    Justa reminder to keep it under control guys... doing a good job to this point!

Are retro-trucks next???

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Retro Styling: A Look for the Future?

So if you're planning on adding fins to your next car, stop in!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We have been saying this quite often now : "Do your research before you post". Taliban are the lucky owners of Toyota HiLux diesel truck, that's sold everywhere else in the world except North America (and maybe Central). If you try to blame Toyota for selling HiLuxes to T, you'll look real stupid.
    It's interesting....T is using HiLux as a mobile rocket launch platform (and despite the funny comments about both truck and shooter bursting in flames, it's obviously been effective otherwise they'd not be doing it), and US Army is using Taco DCs as mobile M-60 platform.
    Yeah, right, like TrailBlazer owned all the SUVs, right? With its' 6-month out of the dealership stalling engines that had to be recalled. I'm sure that problem was fixed, but Chevy will have something else in the bag for S10 owners.
    I've accepted the fact that Ranger makes more hp/torq in factory configuration. However, I still know that TRD charger can be installed (at the dealer, which is fine) and covered under p-train warranty. Whether or not you like it, the fact is this: Tacoma has a charger, it's under full warranty, and it makes a lick of difference where it was installed. It's not like your Ranger comes preassembled from the factory. There's distribution port where they put in little things here and there, there's dealer. I know it's hard to accept that Ranger is not on top of the curve, but hey...when you can find a charger for Ranger that'll be warrantied by Ford for the duration of p-train, we'll talk.
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Posts: 131
    Any leads on changes for the 2003 Ranger or Tacoma? I am sure the Avalanche feature will find its way into either of these two pickups someday, but when. Also, any thoughts on a double cab Ranger?
    Thanks.
    No (significant) changes for 2003 Tacoma. The overhauled model will be out for 2004.
  • Would make one think that the Ranger is not going to be remodeled for the 2003 model year either. A double cab would be interesting. So would a 4.6l v8.
    Remember I had two troublesome Hi-LUxes
    In the cold snowy nasty NY. With the 1
    year 12k mile toyota warranty. Sure glad
    to read somebody has had a flawless one !
    Even it is the taliban ! Good thing my
    young cousins are over there now protecting
    your family and mine and giving PAYBACK !
    GO USMC, ARMY,AF, and NAVY!!!!........Geo
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    I'm sorry. It was a bad night, and its still going. It WAS a very poor attempt at a joke, but I can definitely see where it sounds like anything but such. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanx for saying that its not like me, hehe, I'll take that as a compliment. Thats the one and only time. Excuse me. I have the picture saved on another computer and will have to figure out how to get it online and the pic uploaded with this dialup connection.

On a lighter note, the locker thing is still misunderstood folks (scape). How does it not help in towing whereas a LSD does? I used it today to pull a boat out of the water and up a wet grassy 25degree hill. Locker sure did help me tow. Not that LSD would not have done the same, but to say a locker doesn't help tow is wrong. I don't hate to talk about the open axle and locker on my TRD at all. I don't pride myself on being able to beat someone of the line in my truck and need it to be the most capable offroad in relatively stock form. Thus, the locker is best for me. Any questions?
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Posts: 124
    I have a small, hand held GPS and I love it. I hunt quite a lot and used to rely solely on a compass The compass works great, but, when you are tracking a deer you can sometimes loose your bearings if you are not paying attention to where you are going. The GPS (used in conjunction with a compass) is really great because you can always find your way back to your truck. I simply mark the truck location in the morning and only check the GPS (to get a bearing and distance to the truck) when I've lost some confidence in my compass bearing. I don't think a GPS is a waste of money nor a bad tool. However, I'd never enter the woods without a compass as well (nor a Toyota Tacoma).

Take care and I'll see you in the middle of nowhere searching for that perfect tree stand.........Steelman.
    Im a rippin jenious. That was my first try, and im just learning.
    Ford owner's definition of offroading... j/k

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    http://www.web-source.net/html_codes_explorer1.htm

check under img for a brief description. It's really no big deal.
    LOL, don't steal my thunder.
  • h0udinih0udini Posts: 118
    it wasn't very informative. Is there a simple way to explain how to post a picture from the internet in this forum?
    i typed

"IMG src="URL HERE(http://......)"
    From somebody that don't own one !
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    jenious, genious= incorrect.
    it's actually spelled- 'genius'.

also, if those tacos are military issue, why are they bright red? i still have doubts. i just don't see our military using vehicles whose based out of the country that started WWII. the uaw would be having fits if this were true, i'd assume. jmo
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    regarding copyright infringement. If you have the approval of the owner of the pic, you can post it. If not, well, let's say that it usually doesn't last too long and you'll get a nice email from our host.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    what are you really trying to say about the tundra? :)
This discussion has been closed.