Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    First of all, my truck came with 4:10s with out any upgrade. Second of all, do you not know that a wider rim is better. You are not supposed to even put 11.5 inch wide tires on a 7" rim. Of course, Im not even sure 32" tires will go on a ZR2 because of that massive amount of protruding frame (that it shares with every s10 on the road) - not to mention the nonexistent aftermarket for them. The reason I even mentioned 15 vs. 16 inch rims is b/c you always use that as a standard feature Rangers have over the Tacomas. According to you 16s are the shiznit, except on ZR2s, where 15s are perfect - you're talking in circles on this one.

Sure there are a couple of things I would like to have from the ZR2, no doubt about it, maybe even from a Ranger.

Again, though, I think if you had owned those first 2 trucks in your list, you would sing another tune. And Im not jealous of anything. Just like I know you are not jealous that I have a vehicle that can actually hop over a curb w/o doing thousands worth of body damage. LOL, please don't buy a car. Have good weekend, man.
  • I guess I will try to bring some live back into this forum by asking what are the specifics into locking hubs. I'm not a off-roading type person, nor do I think I will ever be. I am curious as to why 4x4's have hubs on the wheels to lock them in place.

Is this effectively locking them to the axle so they can put down some power, and when unlocked they do nothing? Off-hand, I would think to always have the wheels locked, and power would only transfer to the front wheels when 4x4 hi or lo was selected. I have read about Rangers having pulse vacuum auto locking equipment, but don't know much beyond that.

I also saw a early 90's Ranger drive by me yesterday. It had "F-5.0l" emblems underneath the Ranger emblems on the fenders and twin 2 1/2 tail pipes coming out the rear. Pretty cool, it sounded pretty mean too.

And finally, my Dad sold his truck recently. A '90 F-150 Lariat with 90k Miles. It was in pristine shape. He sold it to the dealership for
    $2,500 for a brand new Silverado. I wanted that truck, but no, he said he thought my truck was great and that I wanted to keep it. Well it is still running great, but I would love to have a 5.0l Lariat vs a 2.3l Ranger. Oh well, life is funny.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Awwww stang, you know the answer (you're just looking for posts) so I'll let someone else write a book and I'll just give you the short version. The front wheels free-wheel until they're locked. When locked, the wheels are both locked to the axle and don't work independently. That's why you can't leave them locked on the highway. Full time four wheel drive systems, in contrast, have a front differential to allow you to drive on the paved highway.
  • But I promise this is not one of my "ask the questions I already know the answer to" posts.

I guess I was always expecting a limited slip front differential on each 4x4 system, so you could turn or operate on the road/highway and not have to lock the hubs to go offroading...

So there is no "neutral" in the transfer case? And/or most 4x4 systems have a solid front axle (or equivalent)?
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Posts: 124
    The Tacoma has automatic locking hubs (at least my 2001 model does) so you don't ever have to worry about getting out to lock the hubs to put the truck into 4 wheel drive. To engage 4wd all you have to do is simply shift the shift lever and this can be done on the fly up to 50 mph (or 55 mph, I cannot remember specifically what the owner's manual recommends). And, when you shift out of 4wd (again, with a simple shift of the lever) the hubs automatically disengage.

I'd be willing to bet that the Ranger has automatic locking hubs as well. I believe that the manual locking hubs are beginning to be faded out by auto makers.

By the way Stang, we all know that the Tacoma is better than the Ranger. Did you forget this simple fact :)

Take care and I'll see you in the Great North Woods where it is still so cold that it feels like hunting season (where is summer anyway)..........Steelman.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    The Tacoma does not have auto locking hubs.The front axles are connected directly to the spindles.The front axles actualy free wheel inside the pumkin untill 4wd is engaged wich then engages the front drive shaft and front axles inside the differential.
    Thanx alot edmunds.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    saddaddy... head over to the topic that has been set up to gather feedback on the Town Hall changes with your specific thoughts...

Town Hall Redesign 2002: Tell Us Your Thoughts

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shaboobyshabooby Posts: 2
    My wife and I just purchased our new 2002 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 V6/4A. All I can say is WOW! This truck is great! While I didn't have a need for the 4x4 option, our PreRunner still has the look of a 4x4. I'm looking forward to getting it broken in and carefully rating its performance. All I can say now is, I'm glad I finally got one.

Shabooby
    You will love your truck. Excellent choice!
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 278
    about the Tacoma competing with Jeep, Hummer et al and beating all the competition?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    It's the May 2001 issue of Fourwheeler. not sure if it's available online or not. (I personally think Fourwheeler's website sucks)
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I'm outa here for a week, going to TTORA TakeOver national event at Tellico, NC. in Nanhatala Natl. Forest.
  • toadmantoadman Posts: 39
    Just a snipet, but for the die hard Rangers fans, (the truck not the baseball team) the Ranger tied with the Chevy S-10 for runner up.
    ---------------------------------------
    But Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., which sells Toyota- and Lexus-branded vehicles, continued to dominate the award categories as it has in past years. Of the 16 categories included in Power's study, Toyota and Lexus models led nine and virtually swept all of the truck categories.

"With truck sales now surpassing 50 percent of the light-vehicle market, truck quality is critical to automakers," Power's Walters said. "Toyota Motor Sales' consistency in building truck models with high initial quality certainly gives them an advantage."

Toyota's initial quality has improved 31 percent over five years, Power added.
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    maybe i can help ya. i know for a fact that most dealers will take an older truck like your dads to auction, since they dont want older stuff on their lot. i would go there and tell em you know that they will lose their [non-permissible content removed] at auction, but that youll give 'em $2500 for it. i am betting they would rather sell it to you than pay to have it hauled away, and auctioned for $1000.
  • I tried that, it was already sold to another owner in like a week. Oh well, I do plan on picking up a new Ranger in 2003. Mine just officially rolled over 140,000 miles this week. Would be nice to have that new car smell again....
    There is NOTHING like the smell of a new car. I wish I was rich so I could experience it about every month. I will concede this to you Ranger fellas, my new Tacoma had a new car smell that was different than most and I didn't like it as much. Oh well. Have a good one.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    I can't let you get away with dropping a load like that and not ask you to be specific about what the difference was in your Tacoma's new smell. So please tell us, why did you not like the smell as much????
    Its just like some folks prefer daisies over roses i guess (and, i understand that was a very feminine thing to say - trust me it hurt!). LOL. It didn't stink by any means! By the way, what LOAD did i drop. ;)
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    car odors? sigh
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    Move away from the car odor and resume normal conversation... LOL

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You ever get another vehicle tbunder?
    not yet. i just couldn't see myself in a hatchback. im really waiting on the '03's, although id love to have a dc taco trd, or frontier crew cab off-road long bed.
    nissan has a new pkg. out now called the "sve", which stands for supercharged value edition. long bed with every option is like $25400. that's a pretty good price. but i don't like the fact you have to use premium fuel, and that the mileage isn't that great. ill probably wait for the '03's, and if nothing comes out significantly different, ill get a used tacoma dc. i just wish they offered a ranger crew cab. dumb move on ford's part imo. alot of ranger owners would buy one i think, instead, they're stuck with shopping another brand or that ugly thing they call the sport-trac. all's quiet on the western front for the summer looks like.
    I gotta believe that you wouldn't be happy without a truck too. I really like the idea of having a full size bed on those CC frontiers, too. And you are right - the BIG downside to the s/c is the premium fuel. Oh well. I agree that Ford would really rack up if they came out with a DC, Yota might be stealing some sales for that reason alone. Have a good weekend man, and don't drop any loads off any time soon :)
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    I noticed that the Nissan Xterra is available with an "Enthusiast Package" which includes stuff like manual locking hubs, manual tranny, floor mounted 4x4 shifter, etc. Does the Frontier have this too, or just the X?
    yep, i knew that as i peruse nissan's site frequently. that package you're talking about is pretty cool indeed. but i highly doubt you'll ever see one equipped like that unless it is ordered. and to answer your question, NO- kind of. the frontier comes with a manual t/c standard. no push buttons on it or even available. its a direct link like the FX4 ranger. manual tranny available obviously too. but no manual hubs that i know of. i believe the people who buy the xterra are more hard-core off-roaders than frontier buyers, and therefore nissan offers this cool pkg. the drawback to this pkg, is that you can't get some other goodies, which only makes sense since the enthusiasts probably don't want power or aluminum rims. later
    Do you know if the floor shifters on the silverados are manual like the FX4s and frontiers? Although I'm not sure I fully understand the difference in truly manual x-fer cases (is there much of one?), I do know that it feels like a much more direct link on the chevies than say a Tacomas. On the silverados, when going to 4lo, if you stop in the N position you hear gears clashing and stuff - I hate it. Is this "manual?"
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    On the GMs the lever only controls
    the transfer case...then the trans.
    case sends a elec. signal to engage
    the front wheels. When going to 4 lo
    you are right you must shift to neutral
    and throw lever JUST right or some
    grinding will occour(spl) ! I have
    had several GMs with the shift and
    the electric ones ! No shifting
    required just push button.
    Elec. ones much better !!!!!
    Note MANY trucks use the NPG trans. case ! and I am sure
    they might all do the same.......geo
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Posts: 124
    Boy, I sure wish I would have had enough money to step up to a full size truck. My girl friend is looking to purchase a Tundra and we test drove one last night. Wow, are they nice! Don't get me wrong, I love my Tacoma, but you cannot beat a full size truck. Well, maybe someday I'll be able to step up to a Tundra. Furthermore, I really believe that Toyota may be giving Ford, Chevy and Dodge a run for their money with this Tundra. It is a real fine truck.

Take care and I'll see you in the rain soaked great north woods.............Steelman.
This discussion has been closed.