Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Take a good look under any new
    automatic trans BMW.
    Guess who makes it for them ?
    YUP....General Motors....

BTW: Does Rolls Royce still
    use gm trannies and gm Air condition
    parts ?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    It was the June or July 2001 issue of FourWheeler magazine that had the "Ultimate 4x4" shootout. I have the issue at home somewhere so I'll double-check the date. The article is very flattering for the Tacoma, but if I had to pick one of those 4 vehicles for pure off-roading, it would be the Jeep every time. (and I'm a tacoma fan) you really have to take these magazine "shootouts" with a grain of salt. Is the tacoma the best off-roader out of the box? probably. Is it the "ultimate 4x4 ever?" no, although it's a darn good one.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    For nothing but off-roading, I would concede the Jeep is the better vehicle, especially with a few mods. But when you factor in the Tacoma's versatility to tow, haul, four-wheel, run reliably and cruise the highways much more comfortably than the Jeep, to me it can't be beat. It does many things very well, versus the Jeep, which only does one thing well. Plus, I can't go camping out in the back of a Jeep like I can in my Tacoma.
  • Here's your link scorpio.
    http://65.112.188.100/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20020501b
    I like the caption, Toyota's best ever April sales for 6 years running.
    The only toyota vehicles that showed an improvement over last year was the Camry, Prius, Highlander and Tundra. Without Lexus, Toyota would be showing a mediocre improvement.

Notice the slight drop in 4x2 Tacoma (1-2%) and the larger drop in 4X4 Tacoma's (6-7%)

I also said it barely won because on the point system they used, the Tacoma only leads by 2% (356.79 vs 344.29). Especially considering how they rated the Tacoma good for the high speed (desert running?) trails, and the Jeep for the low speed trails (rock crawling?). Ever been in a jeep at high speed anything? Which type of off-roading is better for the locker anyways?

Who knows why the Ranger wasn't in the competition? Maybe in pure stock form (in 1998) the reviewers didn't want to try. What off-roader worth his salt, goes off in brand new warrantied trucks? Try explaining to the dealership the reason your transfer case has failed is not the smashed skid plate attached to it.

I would say the Tacoma is a well rounded vehicle, but not the (God's gift of the) Ultimate 4x4. I think Eagle said it best just above.
    I also would say that while I have little to no experience off-road in my ole 4x2 Ranger, it has done very well on the few ventures onto the beach, or up and down muddy wet dirt road in the Ozark Mountains. If I want the biggest and best off-roader, I wouldn't buy a 20,000+ dollar truck. I would spend about 5-6 grand on my current ride, and would probably end up with a much better performer all-together.
    Still how many people buy trucks only because of their off-road ability? We all know that the vast majority of consumers are never gonna leave the pavement.

And Pluto, you haven't gone camping until you actually lose site of the vehicle that brought you there.
    done more of that kind of "camping" than you'll ever know. And without GPS, too.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Alright, the sales dropped. What can I say? We'll see how they perform a little down the road.
    As for ultimate offroad: I never said that TRD was the ultimate offroader. My view is that it's a good start, good base offroad model, that you can build up on. Why Ranger wasn't in it? Maybe it wasn't even worth trying to put it in a competition against the big boys. For a company that is so concerned with targetting their customer base (Ford...with their FX4 and Tremor), you'd think they would try to show off how good their Ranger is....but no.
    Heh...GPS is just another step towards ultimate convinience. When I was in high school, our teachers would arrange for 2 week leave for senior classes (those who wanted) and we'd go out into mountains. We'd get off the train in one city, and 2 weeks later we'd have to be in another city 100-300 kilometers away across the mountain ridges. We had the ultimate navigating equipment called a compass :)
    The good place to use GPS that I found was out in sea, where there's total lack of stationary markers. Out on land it's nearly useless piece of junk.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    em you %^&*@$$ (used to be a cuss word). Do some research b4 you make stupid statements like that. My cousin at an airbase in Georgia just told me last week that they got in about 30 flat black double cab tacomas complet with machine gun turrets in back. I have also seen at least 3 pictures of double cabs stationed in Afghanistan. I will post a picture as soon as I get back to my other computer to show you how ignorant you are. ALL IDIOTS, please keep your flapping, uneducated, opinions out of this halfway legitimate discussion.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that, ttora guys posted some pix of red DoubleCabs. Thats for the military, though. Does government buy them for civilian use? And whats with the language, it's not like you at all.
    I gotta say that if Ford keeps losing ground that fast, Tacoma might just catch up with Ranger in sales in next 1-2 years or at least get pretty close. Ranger outsells it only by 50%, pretty bad considering last few years.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    In this rare instance I have to support tbunder. BMW's, until the last five years or so, were known to be problem prone. Their claim to fame was their handling rather than reliability. In the last few years that has supposedly changed though.
  • Is not just a glorified compass. Well it is that, but much more. Especially when you park one vehicle on south padre island (in the middle of a 50+ mile long secluded beach) and one at the border in brownsville so you can get drunk in Mexico. It's kinda nice knowing behind which sand dune all your gear is.

Or while on a business trip, you can easily find your hotel, the airport or other place of interest. Good when lost, great on the second trip when you want to go back.

A GPS is great if you ever visit the Grand Tetons (in Wyoming) or Yellowstone National park, or anywhere in the mountains with nothing but a backpack, two poles and lots and lots of snow. Kinda easy to get lost, or know which snow flurry is hiding your car or a meeting point.

And finally while you actually spend some time in the wilderness, a forest or mountain range. A topographical map and GPS is all you need to know where you are, where you need to go, and approximately how long it will take you to get there.

I don't see why either of you can even put down a GPS. It's only the next stage of your compass.

You can tell me which way is North, or North north east, etc.

I can tell you magnetic north, true north, how far any place is from you, how long it will take you to get there at your current pace, what elevation you are at, topographical displays, any special routes through the wilderness, what MPH you are travelling, and any waypoint or special point of interest. Some even come with built in barometers, thermometers, sun/moon and sunrise/sunset calculators. So either bushwacking, or trying to get back to that killer camp spot from 2 years ago, The GPS is the best, most efficient way to go.

Once my next vacation time comes around, and I decide to go camping, I know I can find some of the better scenic points out there without fail. And when searching for new ones, I don't have to worry about getting lost.

Heck I've found caves that National Geographic's Trails Illustrated topo maps don't even have marked.

Either way, once you get out someplace where you have little chance of running into any humanity, you might want a small handle tool that can do it all, instead of just pointing you towards the north magnetic pole. Otherwise I presume nothing about each one of you and your outdoor skills, except that those who camp in their pickup beds aren't really roughing it.

Finally, sorry for the long message, but I dislike those who really don't know, attempt to speak with some authority.
    One point forever saved on my GPS, Hawksbill crag
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    I agree with stang about the GPS I got a little handheld Magellan and I use it all the time. Another thing GPS is good for is tracking animals when you are hunting.
  • Very good at helping you find a tree stand or a hidden blind in some woods. Most GPS's will tell you where it is at within 10 feet, anywhere on the planet.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    the Toyota crowd hates to talk about HP/Torque curves and open axles on the locker TRD..
    The Tundra is doing awful! I remember there were claims this truck was going to bury the Chevy/Ford/Dodge..
    The new S-10 is going to hammer Ford and Toyota. The new S-10 is going to have the 270HP straight 6 and be about the size of a Dakota. I am not really a chevy fan.. but.. this truck is going to kick some b.... The straight 6 is a top notch engine.. chevy did their homework on this one..
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    The taliban sure buys enought of 'em !
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    WHAT is your problem?
    and as much as i would like to believe you are just having a bad night, (we're all somewhat of friends around here to some extent i think) i find that your namecalling and other stuff out of the blue is totally uncalled for. and im not saying that i dont believe you or your cousin about the military using dc tacos, i would just like to have some proof of it.
    was your post a joke that everyone mistook or what? scorp's right, its not like you. i dont even think i have ever posted stuff that vulgar. either way, it's definitely not you. what gives?
    "the Toyota crowd hates to talk about HP/Torque curves and open axles on the locker TRD.."

What really counts is how much power is getting to the wheels...and no 4x4 enthusiast is going to trade in their locker for Ford's minivan-derived LSD, LOL!

"The new S-10 is going to hammer Ford and Toyota. The new S-10 is going to have the 270HP straight 6 and be about the size of a Dakota."

Power without reliability means nothing. That's a lesson all those GM knocker owners have learned the hard way.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Justa reminder to keep it under control guys... doing a good job to this point!

Are retro-trucks next???

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Retro Styling: A Look for the Future?

So if you're planning on adding fins to your next car, stop in!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.