Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    you make me laugh the way you talk. your truck isn't even four wheel drive.
    as i have stated, i was going to replace the lsd in my ranger (with the torsen), and so i was in touch with torsen on the stats of the fx4 axle and lsd. ill say it again, it was designed for one wheel in the air action exclusively- straight from a torsen engineer. either you're making up this "guy who wheels with tacomas and wants a true locker", or this "guy" doesn't know what he's driving.
    either way, with a locker and no four-wheel, your truck still would have been left behind on any trail i used.

sorry guys, but i hate ignorance. and the way tacoma boys downplay the fx4, it's shelled out daily here.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    I think most of us agree that the Ranger is not an "off-road cripple". I prefer the Tacoma off-road but the Ranger will get most off-roaders where they want to go no question.
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Posts: 124
    the Ford Ranger is the greatest truck in the history of mankind. In fact, I bet that if the Ranger were to go up against a Tacoma, a Hummer, a Jeep and a Monster truck, the Ranger would easily smoke all of them :)

Take care and I'll see you where only Tacomas dare to tread.............Steelman.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Don't forget that Frontier is also a lot better than Tacoma, according to tbunder. Who wouldn't want one of those plastic spaceships? The great power of supercharged V6, all 210 horses of it, with only the gas milage of a a 4.7L V8! You must be nuts, all the standard "free" features.....it even comes with its' own standard big-screen TV in the cab so if you die because you weren't paying attention, you'll die in style :)

tbunder: We downplay the FX4? Excuse me.....but how do you expect people to take a "truck designed specifically for offroaders with deep-water crossings in mind" seriously when that marvel of engineering blows its' lockers in a parking lot? Maybe if Ford could finally put out a product (Perhaps better communication between partners? Seems like Ford's been having quite a few troubles with their business partners) that does not get double-digits of recalls in first 2 years (while it is not exactly true, I'm just using it to make a point, although Escape comes close with 7 in 1 year), and does not get pulled out of showrooms in 2 weeks (FX4), then we could take a look at it seriously.
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE FX4 PACKAGE. THE REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL CASE COULD FRACTURE UNDER A HIGH TORQUE EVENT SUCH AS WHEN CUSTOMERS ACCELERATE RAPIDLY FROM A STOP OR WHEN A SPINNING TIRE SUDDENLY GAINS TRACTION.

It is trivial to characterize it as blowing up in a parking lot. I guess burnouts weren't the first priority in testing a 4X4 compact truck, go figure.

I have heard that only 4 units had failed, Will try to confirm this later. NHTSA lists only 1096 units Potentially affected.

The automatics are still available, and are fine.
    When I first bought my Tacoma, I took it off road for some fun. You know what, one of the 1st things that I did was to do some burnouts (albeit on dirt roads, not tar) and accelerate very rapidly. It is a good thing I didn't buy the Ranger FX4 because it looks like it would have blown up on me (LOL!).

Where do you Ranger fanatics get your logic. I think the proper way to design any vehicle is to make sure it can handle what an owner can dish out (within reason). It is not unreasonable to expect (and design) a vehicle with the expectation that somebody (do you have Teenagers?) might try some burnouts or even (can you imagine) rapidly accelerate a vehicle! If the FX4 couldn't handle that, then I guess I really know why I chose a Tacoma over a Ranger.

Please, can somebody help these Ford fans with their logical progressions.......Steelman.
    Seems to me that the statement "WHEN CUSTOMERS ACCELERATE RAPIDLY FROM A STOP" doesn't necessarily mean burnouts. If only four units failed, it also seems to me that that would be because they were pulled from the market so quickly. I think it's better to face the fact that this was a poorly designed and inadequately tested truck. Better to go back to defending the regular Rangers which have a much better reputation.
  • Is that it sounded like borderline abuse where the failures are concerned, and from all indications the last of the quality problems reported from the Jacque Nassar era.

The facts of the issue are mostly unknown to all of us. The only known facts are 1. Manually equipped FX4's were pulled from sale due to a potential break down in the rear differential. 2. A maximum of 1096 were affected, and just under 300 of which were in customer hands.

You don't know if there were any "teenagers" with FX4's accelerating as rapidly as they can, without any failures. You don't know the exact cause. You don't see the nature of statistics, 1096 vehicles with the part that could fail. Maybe only 4 of those vehicles had a too low nickel content in the gears or casting of the differential? We don't know. But they all have to be recalled because they all have the same part. This is the firestone recall on a much smaller scale. Torsen, the supplier was responsible for the new Rear Differential. The rear Differential failed. How do YOU know who's fault it is? You don't.

Get your shots in now, while you still can.
    I love it when you put Stang in his place. I agree with you whole heartedly. It seems that some people that post on this web site put blinders on when problems occur to their beloved Ranger. You know what I think. I think that the only reason Ranger owners buy the FX4 Ranger is so that they look cool with the "FX4" sticker on their pick up truck :) Does that statement sound familiar to any of you (LOL).

Take care and I'll see you in the woods in my trustworthy (and reliable) Toyota Tacoma..........Steelman.
    The real question seems to be whether the problem is a manufacturing problem or a design problem. If it's a design a problem, then Ford did a lousy job evaluating the differential. If it's a manufacturing problem, then sc0rpi0 has a great point and automatic owners should be pretty worried. It seems most likely that Ford released the FX4 without adequate testing.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    the long run, Ford would save themselves a lot of money, time and headaches if they would quit out-sourcing componets to the lowest bidder? For example, the whole Firestone tire fiasco costed them how many millions?

stang will always try to establish culpability in such cases, but who really cares? Ford is ultimately responsible for the product they sell to the public. They need to raise the bar for their contract suppliers as far as I'm concerned.

I know I paid a little more for my Tacoma and it isn't loaded with all the bells and whistles a Ranger probably comes with. I don't care about the bells and whistles. I'm interested in solid build quality and performance. I will pay extra for a truck that wasn't built by the lowest bidders.

That's absolutely ridiculous to suggest you shouldn't be able to acclerate hard because it might blow up your differential. What a crock! This coming from the truck that "supposedly" out-tows the Tacoma (according to paper specs, anyway)! I can only imagine what would happen if you "get on with it" towing their advertised 5600lbs. That diff would snap like a twig!

Kind of surprising, huh, what with the Ranger having that huge rear axle and 2" bigger pumpkin, LOL!

To this day, over 4 years later, I'm continually reminded I made the right choice buying a Tacoma.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    Big damn deal. I could still go anywhere you can, oh thats right you drive a 2 seater or a hatchback or something, right? Bet it has an mp3 player, though, doesn't it. Man, talk about the envy of the trucking crowd. Take this for what you will (I know how you always dog my 2wd truck), but I can walk the dog in any type of offroading I have done better than any 2wd truck I've ever seen. I keep up with 4wds all the time and surprise the hell out of them time and again.

When it comes down to it - you make ME laugh. You don't even have a truck! Stay out of this or quit dogging my ride.

And the guy that wheels with the Tacoma boys - he's more adamant about his FORD than anyone I've met here, hands down. He works in a performance shop and has been racing vehicles all his life. He knows exactly what he is doing and knows off roading about as well as anyone his age short of Walker Evans. He knows exactly what he is driving and could tell you exactly what one needs to be driving to have a truck that deserves a sticker on the side that says "off road." Im out.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    LOL, (i see i pissed you off eh?) its still 2WD. imo, and probably others here, not quite a truck.

also, fyi, i haven't bought ANYTHING yet. so don't count me out quite yet.

but you can bet that if i do buy another truck, it'll be four-wheel-drive. im half tempted to go pick up an FX4 ranger just to have a little meet and get together. show you just how tough ford trucks really are.

im just saying that you talk like you are the off-road king, and quite simply, a 4x4 truck will go way more places any 4x2 truck can only dream of going-locked or not. and if you don't believe that, you must have a locker in your head as well.

you know, for the price you paid for your pre-runner, i pretty much guarantee you could have bought an ext. cab ranger 4x4 for less if not the same. that would have been a no brainer to me. brand loyal or not.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    When we bought our new '95 Tacoma, the FIRST time we took it on the freeway for a long drive, like 100 miles, the front differential churned all of its lube into foam, which then spewed out the vent on top of the pumpkin, ALL over the underside of the truck. What a smelly mess!

This same exact problem happened to a co-worker who had also just bought a new Tacoma.

When we took our Tacomas to the dealer to get this problem fixed, I specifically asked the mechanics and service people what the problem was. The answer I received was: "mumble, mumble, looks like it wasn't tested enough, 'cause there needs to be some baffles in the differential to stop the foaming of the oil. We've already seem several of these and the only fix we currently have is to add several feet of plastic tubing, valves, etc. to the vent so the lube that comes out has someplace to go." Wonderful. They also indicated that if the factory were to ever issue some sort of retrofit baffle kit, I would be notified. No, never any notification.

There are two sides to every coin, and while I know that this is just a data point, it indicates that Toyota is no better at product testing than Ford. Luckier maybe, but this happens to EVERYONE.
  • kbtoyskbtoys Posts: 62
    that Saddaddy's truck would whoop on any 4x2 ranger when offroading. How about that bet?
    Don't start with that crap please. He's been challenged to go offroading by people from Iowa, he declined. At the same time he kept on "challenging" people to go to Iowa from TX (me) and Mexico (pluto). He also wanted to race for pinkslips...
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    The Toyota V6 headgasket problem, and the associated "under-the-table" recall program.

Inadequate testing? or low bidder? or a low-budget design?
    rickc5 - I don't disagree with you the the Tacoma headgasket problem was also due to inadequate testing. It shouldn't have happened. The difference is that I'm not trying to defend Toyota's mistake over and over. Some of the Ranger guys seem to have a hard time accepting that Ford screwed up on the FX4.

tbunder - your statement "its still 2WD. imo, and probably others here, not quite a truck". Realize that many here (not me) think that the Ranger is not quite a truck either.
    It's not always about the truck...it's also about the driver. There's a guy in TX that drives his prerunner anywhere that 4x4s go. Some things are not possible, yes, but with skill level high enough, one can take a prerunner in most places.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    You don't have to be a king to know that a locker is better than an LSD, and that's all I've been saying. May not have a locker in my head, but its sure in my blood as many times as its saved my [non-permissible content removed]. If you had ever had one and drove your ride in places other than malls, you might realize this too. If you would even consider buying -- what was it, a fiat -- it just goes to show how much trucks mean to you. You can live without a truck - I can't. It just goes to show what a poser you are. I don't care what brand you fight for. So go on and get your front wheel drive bumblebee imitator and leave this board alone.

As far as the price thing you brought up. Well lets think:
    1) I'm in school and can't swing weekly trips to the dealership to fix things.
    2) Insurance costs would have more than made up for initial cost differences.
    Serioulsy, I looked into it and 4wd was out of my range. I had to have a v6 and decent ground clearance. Fords of any type were out.

And no I'm not pissed off (ehh?). I still have a truck and you don't (toyota, ford, or what the hell ever). I think its safe to say that Im on top!
This discussion has been closed.