Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    "Toyota has image, THAT'S IT"?????

WTF are you talking about. Give me one reason why I can't say the same thing about Rangers in the offroad sense, b/c that is the sense we are talking about. Again, I am not downing Ford or Rangers, only defending the frequently bashed Tacomas here.

Im all ears -- you go first. How is Yota all image when it comes to Tacomas? B/c they are more expensive? Do they not back it up, cuz I still haven't seen any pics of Rangers "not" rock crawling? Keep on talking out of your [non-permissible content removed] and your words are gonna come back to bite you -- and you know where. Maybe this isn't an argument I need to start, b/c I have been hanging around a Tacoma O/R message board for about 2 years, and believe me, there's no such thing as image there. I have also been to Ranger O/R board where there is also impressive stuff going on. But please, back off with the "image" crap. I am tired of people refusing to be halfway mature with their comments around here.
  • Summer 2003 Ford to sell GT40's.

Ford Ranger not getting any redesign until 2005 or 2006. Then on the 2004 page it is showing a redesign. ???

2004 Tacoma get's it's expected increase in size, engine, doors, etc.

2004 Honda will introduce a pickup. Supposed to be larger than the Tundra. GM is to supply the v-8's.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/2003.html

• plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but KBB and TMV's estimates on resale value are just that - estimates and/or guidelines, not gospel as you would like to believe. An insurance company once offered me a settlement on my totaled car based on published resale figures, and I didn't accept the offer because it was too low. I was required to provide the claims dept. with sales figures from advertisements of similar vehicles for sale. After the insurance company reviewed my research, I was compensated accordingly and received almost $3K more than their initial offer based on KBB's resale figures.

If you want to know the true resale value of your vehicle, you must research what that vehicle is selling for in your area. In my experience, Rangers being sold are a dime a dozen, and their asking price is substantially lower than what the few Tacoma owners who are selling are asking.

I hope for your sake that in your purchasing and selling of vehicles, you don't take KBB's word as gospel as you do here! You know the saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted..."
    Two good friends of mine told me that they received letters from Toyota saying that they would give full warranty coverage for 8 years, regardless of mileage, on their vehicles with the 3.0L v6. Im glad they did this.
  • Is that the engine available in a Camry? Must be from the possible oil sludge problem...
    I think its in alot of their sedans, and also in the minivan.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    on the west coast are also a "dime a dozen". They are all over the papers and on dealer lots just like Rangers... You pay more for a like optioned Tacoma when comparing to a Ranger this is no secret. I sure hope you get more at resale time. The fact is your not getting the "thousands" of dollars you want so badly to believe..
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Well, I'm on the west coast and even though Tacoma's dominate small truck sales in Calif., it's hard to find a used one as they tend to sell quickly and for top dollar. Used Rangers, on the other hand, seem to sit on the market a bit longer. I guess it's different on your planet.
  • reddogsreddogs Posts: 353
    I had to get up early in the morning to check for any Toyota trucks as anything over 5 years old sell like crazy down here in South Florida. My new neighbor put hers for sale since she only used it for gardening,(it was always garraged so I didnt even know they had it) and my wife tells me and before I even get out of the house, boom! gone... I call on the ones that show in the paper, "sold" or "deposit, they are coming with the money". So finally I check in the papers website when they update at midnite, and get there early in the morning but it had some dings so I (stupid me) asked the guy for his best price. He said hold on a second and the next guy "in line" handed him the cash.............:0(
    scape --> "The fact is your not getting the "thousands" of dollars you want so badly to believe.."

If that was indeed a fact as you say, I seriously doubt that people would still buy so many of these "overpriced" trucks. I bet the Toyota dealers are probably pressuring the buyers soo hard that they have no choice but to buy, huh?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    tbunder used the exact same line to convince us that Ford was best because it was bestselling. Well, Toyota may not be a bestseller, but obviously it's selling, and selling well. Are all Toy buyers just a bunch of suckers?
    I'm not seeing many old Tacos and 4x4 PUs here in TX on dealer lots. I certainly see loads of Rangers. I see a lot of old 80s PUs in great condition running around....them foreign ones aint all rusted up.
  • However try to find the 4.0l or 4x4 rangers. They are definitely hard to find used. Out of the 20-25 I can see at carmax.com in my area, there are no 4.0l's and 2 4x4's.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Seems to me then that they make and sell a lot of Rangers, but majority of those are ...well, less than desirable? It sounds impressive on paper when company sells 150K units/year, but how many of those are really in demand after , say, 3 years?
    Sure Ford may sell tons of Ranger pickups. But I would like to see a comparison of the #s of 4x4s/v6s sold of each truck. Moreover I think the percentage of Tacomas sold that are of that group would be much greater than the percentage of 4.0L 4x4 rangers. What do you guys think?
  • You think that because it's a Ranger it is less desirable. Well in the used market, you are probably right. If we are talking new trucks, I wonder what statistic could prove otherwise.

Now Toyota does have the better reputation for quality and long-term reliability, so that should account for the majority of the used market sales. Another fact is that if the market is flooded with one particular type of vehicle in a certain genre, that same vehicle may be less desirable/less profitable. However, if you want to purchase a used model of the most popular truck (for 14 years), you are in luck, and will get a good deal.
    would prove which is more desirable --- I'll tell you, but you should know that such a statistic doesn't exist in the real world. If both trucks had the same pricetag, then and only then we could get a true gauge of which is more wanted. Now, the only idea of desirability that we get is which one is more desirable at a given price.

Take for example if I only had a $0.99 and was craving a hamburger. My choices are a hamburger from some steakhouse for $1.50 or one from McDonalds for $0.89. Although we know whick one is much more tasty and which one I would much rather have -- I have only one choice.
  • marklomarklo Posts: 2
    the dealer in Pensacola where I purchased my
    2002 Tacoma DC 6cyl. (no 4X4), had to get it from Dothan Alabama, because they were having a hard time keeping them in stock. Even Tacoma's without many frills are very popular and hard to keep in stock.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    trucks, resale, demand, etc.

i don't know why this is so hard to figure out. ford builds a lot more rangers than toyota does tacomas. they flood the market with them. toyota on the other hand deliberately keeps the build numbers down on tacomas just so they can sell all of them. why they do this i dont know. maybe they're scared they can't sell as many trucks as ford. maybe they simply can't build the numbers. but once you flood the market and build a huge number of trucks or any one vehicle, there's going to be more of them available used or new.

just because you say you never see any used tacomas or can't even find a new one like you want doesn't make the tacoma more in demand or a better truck, it just means that toyota isn't producing the number ford is which means that you probably will have a problem finding a trd 4x4 in white with no hitch. however if you want a ranger 4x4 4.0 with no hitch in white, chances are there are a couple in each color at your nearest ford dealer.

and regarding stang's comments, i dont know how it is around where he is, but in iowa it is a rare sight indeed to see anything but a 4x4 ranger. and most dealers order the 4.0 around here. a 3.0 is quite rare. i would bet that more 4.0's are built than 3.0's. just like there are more 5.4's out there in F150's than there are 4.6's which is standard in xlt F150's.

i think both trucks are great.

this is tbunder, i just had to create a new account cuz i lost my password. glad to see the fire's still there.
This discussion has been closed.