Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Compass

squiredogssquiredogs Posts: 87
edited April 27 in Jeep
I know Jeep is slow to change things, but I'd really love to get a hybrid Jeep (wagon, hatch) made from the Liberty engine. Preferrably with the Jeep grille, fold flat rear seats, giant wheels, fat tires, 4WD, and a liftglass for long stuff. Basically a modern update of the AMC Eagle. Nothing really is out there now that's not an overly tall, true SUV. The Compass looks cool, although I'd like 4 doors. The Varsity doesn't look quite as good as the Compass. Any Jeep loyalists know if this can happen soon? I can't hold out much more before I have to buy...

Dan

Comments

• It's just a concept car. I like the look of it but some of the things inside bother me like a 4 wheel independent suspension and those narrow little tires. A supercharged 4-cyl is pretty cool.
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    .....and then someone can start a "Jeep Compass Problems" thread!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,709
    that the Compass rides on a Liberty platform. That means no IRS. It also has the the 3.7 V-6 engine. However, unlike the Liberty, it has AWD and no low range.

I like it a lot, but I do wish it did have IRS. The inspiration for this vehicle is those "Rally Cars," like the Subie WRX, that are raced internationally. All of them have fully independent suspensions.

Bob
  • I was hoping it would have the same Selec-Trac AWD along with the 4hi/low too. Even so, I still like the idea of a Jeep hatchback. Since I'm looking to buy this year, I guess it won't happen. Does Jeep ever project when these concepts could go into production? It seems like D/C want to be the first to bring out new, edgy stuff (PT, Pacifica).
    they would like to bring out a vehicle priced under the Wrangler. Jeep has publicly stated that. What form it takes? Who knows...

Bob
  • I don't know how or where I came up with the IRS thing but the supercharged four idea is actually from the Willys2 concept:

http://www.jeepin.com/news/willys2.html

• That thing is awesome. I wish Jeep would produce it, though with a carbon fiber body it can't be very cheap. Maybe change the body to aluminum and toss in a slightly larger engine (keep the supercharger for the low-end torque) and I would find a way to buy one, as long as they offered it in a better color. Olive drab might work.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I'd like to see a comeback of the Scrambler.

Basically, make a lengthened Wrangler, add a small bed, and the only change from Wrangler othewise would be to put in the V6 so it can accomodate the overdrive auto tranny (for better gas mileage and lower cruising rpms).

Better yet, make the back part (bed) out of recycled plastic to reduce cost, reduce weight, and eliminate rust!!!
    I'd love to see Jeep do a 4-door "life-style" pickup off the new Liberty platform. Just put a small bed in the back like that of the Explorer Sport Trac or Subaru Baja. Also include a mid-gate, and lockable fender storage compartments as per the Chevy Avalanche.

Bob
    A "life-style" pickup?

That's a new one.

I like the idea of the Avalanche, but have a feeling that in 2 years, these are going to be seen all over the place with plastic hanging off the sides or big ugly scars where plastic used to be. Reminds me of Pontiacs.

I do like the Explorer one, and to a lesser extent, the Dodge and Nissan ones.
    is a term now used to describe pickups for outdoorsy-types: cyclists, campers, etc. It's certainly not a traditional "work" truck.

Bob
  • Went to the auto show in Detroit and fell in love with the Compass. The one grainy picture of it that I found online prior to the show (from it's debut a few days earlier) didn't catch my eye. But in person, it has some fantastic lines to it. It borrows cues from several of Jeeps recent concept cars so one would assume they are aiming in this direction for a new model. Time will tell. From the web scouring that I have done, "insiders" (who are these so called insiders?) say that this one is close to production. I hope they are right.
    It looks like that goofy Isuzu thing. (not to be confused with VW thing!)

How do you remove the doors and top?
  • >How do you remove the doors and top? <

With a wrench and a saw, I suppose. Doors and top are not removable. Although, now that you mention it, a version that offers both might be interesting.
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    There was Compass discussion on the SUV board a few months ago, but this vehicle is 3-door hatchback that I think deserves to be discussed here. A 3.7l engine in a car this size? Wow. I looked at the Liberty last year, but am simply not an SUV person. Does anyone know if this rally car competitor is set for production? It's an awesome alternative to Subarus that would have a place on the market.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I think it does look a lot like a hatchback. I'd put it in the crossover (suv/hatch) category. If Jeep decides to produce this, we could also see about linking up this discussion with the SUV board. Btw, here's some information from Edmunds' Coverage of the 2001 Detroit Auto Show: Jeep Compass, by Ed Hellwig.

What do you think? Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • With the Liberty chassis, they may be able to pull it off. I can't wait 2-2 1/2 years, since my car is so old. I've heard that it will be an '04. With the way the companies make thier model years, that could be anywhere from Jan '03 to Dec '04...
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    Just announced on 3/17 that they will produce 11 new vehicles by 2004. 11! I'm guessing this will be one of them.
  • Especially starting under 20 grand.
  • There was some sort of announcement in the last few days. Something about Chrysler group realizing that their average buyer is getting OLD, so they're trying to speed up the timeline for the Compass (YES!!!) and the M-80 truck. Unfortunately, you have to be an autonews subscriber to read all of the info... If anyone can get some production dates, that would be a great help - I was giving up hope on the Compass and/or the Chevy Borrego ever coming out.
  • Found it reprinted on www.scatpack.com

------------------

Chrysler seeks fast OK to produce Dodge M80 and Jeep Compass concepts
    By DIANA T. KURYLKO
    Automotive News
    NEW YORK

Alarmed by the age of its buyer base, the Chrysler group has put two youth-oriented concept vehicles unveiled at the Detroit auto show on a fast track for approval. The Dodge M80 pickup and Jeep Compass entry-level sport-utility are aimed at the industry's hottest target group - millennials, under 24 years old.

The average age of Chrysler brand buyers is 54. For Jeep, the average age is 48 and for Dodge, 47. "If you see a PT Cruiser parked at a high school, it's probably owned by a middle-aged teacher and not a student," Jim Schroer, Chrysler group's marketing chief, said last week at the New York auto show.

The largest portion of the emerging buyer group, which already is bigger than the baby boomer generation, will hit the market in 2007, said George Murphy, senior vice president of global brand marketing.

"That is where we are spending a lot of our effort; it is a huge priority," he said. "We are looking hard at what to do for those kids. They won't buy cars for a couple of years, but that works with our development cycle."

Vehicles for this generation have to be affordable - priced between $12,000 and $17,000 - but rich in appeal, he said.

Richard Schaum, executive vice president for development and quality, said approval for the M80 could come in the next six months. "That's sooner than I thought," Schaum said.
    Murphy said the M80 has generated the most positive reaction from clinics.

"They say the Jeep Liberty is for their older sister, and the Grand Cherokee is for their parents. But (the M80 and Compass) resonate very well with that generation."

Murphy said the challenge is to woo the new generation without alienating baby boomers and Generation X, Chrysler's bread-and-butter buyer base.

"Aging baby boomers are a huge segment," Murphy said. "They will eat up the Chrysler Pacifica and the Chrysler Crossfire. We have equity with these buyers, and this is where you will make good margins."
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    from Edmunds' Concept Car Spotlight: Jeep Compass, Jeep's New Direction, by Warren Clarke.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• gotta go with vero on this, wrong segment. make it a chrysler. they could use a rwd sport kinda car, which this could be in an srt form. chevy will have the gto, ford the stag, chrysler has nothing sporty, rwd and affordable. by the way, rumor is that the hemi engine will be going into grand cherokees next year with something like 350hp. imagine that in this car, damn.
  • by the way, i guess i kinda went off without supporting my original statement too thoroughly. the main reason this should be a chrysler and not a jeep is because this would be the first jeep ever unable to pass the rubicon. jeep loyalist would go crazy over this and loyalist would stop buying jeep. so, make it a dodge or a chrysler.
  • I dunno, I think that the Compass is pretty cool. Jeep has a great deal of credibility with the trail riding off-roaders, but the market is changing. Lots of new brands are expanding into the market that Jeep pioneered and initially owned. The Jeep brand needs to evolve to stay relevant (IMHO).

AWD rally cars like the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi EVO could be the target of the Compass. Jeep would have to sell it as "a different kind of off road experience for a different generation" or something like that.

I think that Jeep's real appeal is that it is a brand for individualists or "mavericks", and that image should be maintained, but I don't think that they need to be slavishly devoted to Rubicon trial minority.

Unless you actually go off road, owning a Jeep is just like owning any other car (or truck) and many, many folks buy Jeeps simply because they look cool and of course, the VAST majority of Jeep owners never go off the pavement.

I don't see any rational reason why hardcore Jeepers would be more offended an AWD Compass than they would be by a 2WD Liberty (like my wife's car).
This discussion has been closed.