Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Compass

squiredogssquiredogs Posts: 87
edited April 27 in Jeep
I know Jeep is slow to change things, but I'd really love to get a hybrid Jeep (wagon, hatch) made from the Liberty engine. Preferrably with the Jeep grille, fold flat rear seats, giant wheels, fat tires, 4WD, and a liftglass for long stuff. Basically a modern update of the AMC Eagle. Nothing really is out there now that's not an overly tall, true SUV. The Compass looks cool, although I'd like 4 doors. The Varsity doesn't look quite as good as the Compass. Any Jeep loyalists know if this can happen soon? I can't hold out much more before I have to buy...

Dan

Comments

• It's just a concept car. I like the look of it but some of the things inside bother me like a 4 wheel independent suspension and those narrow little tires. A supercharged 4-cyl is pretty cool.
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    .....and then someone can start a "Jeep Compass Problems" thread!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    that the Compass rides on a Liberty platform. That means no IRS. It also has the the 3.7 V-6 engine. However, unlike the Liberty, it has AWD and no low range.

I like it a lot, but I do wish it did have IRS. The inspiration for this vehicle is those "Rally Cars," like the Subie WRX, that are raced internationally. All of them have fully independent suspensions.

Bob
  • I was hoping it would have the same Selec-Trac AWD along with the 4hi/low too. Even so, I still like the idea of a Jeep hatchback. Since I'm looking to buy this year, I guess it won't happen. Does Jeep ever project when these concepts could go into production? It seems like D/C want to be the first to bring out new, edgy stuff (PT, Pacifica).
    they would like to bring out a vehicle priced under the Wrangler. Jeep has publicly stated that. What form it takes? Who knows...

Bob
  • I don't know how or where I came up with the IRS thing but the supercharged four idea is actually from the Willys2 concept:

http://www.jeepin.com/news/willys2.html

• That thing is awesome. I wish Jeep would produce it, though with a carbon fiber body it can't be very cheap. Maybe change the body to aluminum and toss in a slightly larger engine (keep the supercharger for the low-end torque) and I would find a way to buy one, as long as they offered it in a better color. Olive drab might work.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I'd like to see a comeback of the Scrambler.

Basically, make a lengthened Wrangler, add a small bed, and the only change from Wrangler othewise would be to put in the V6 so it can accomodate the overdrive auto tranny (for better gas mileage and lower cruising rpms).

Better yet, make the back part (bed) out of recycled plastic to reduce cost, reduce weight, and eliminate rust!!!
    I'd love to see Jeep do a 4-door "life-style" pickup off the new Liberty platform. Just put a small bed in the back like that of the Explorer Sport Trac or Subaru Baja. Also include a mid-gate, and lockable fender storage compartments as per the Chevy Avalanche.

Bob
    A "life-style" pickup?

That's a new one.

I like the idea of the Avalanche, but have a feeling that in 2 years, these are going to be seen all over the place with plastic hanging off the sides or big ugly scars where plastic used to be. Reminds me of Pontiacs.

I do like the Explorer one, and to a lesser extent, the Dodge and Nissan ones.
    is a term now used to describe pickups for outdoorsy-types: cyclists, campers, etc. It's certainly not a traditional "work" truck.

Bob
  • Went to the auto show in Detroit and fell in love with the Compass. The one grainy picture of it that I found online prior to the show (from it's debut a few days earlier) didn't catch my eye. But in person, it has some fantastic lines to it. It borrows cues from several of Jeeps recent concept cars so one would assume they are aiming in this direction for a new model. Time will tell. From the web scouring that I have done, "insiders" (who are these so called insiders?) say that this one is close to production. I hope they are right.
    It looks like that goofy Isuzu thing. (not to be confused with VW thing!)

How do you remove the doors and top?
  • >How do you remove the doors and top? <

With a wrench and a saw, I suppose. Doors and top are not removable. Although, now that you mention it, a version that offers both might be interesting.
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    There was Compass discussion on the SUV board a few months ago, but this vehicle is 3-door hatchback that I think deserves to be discussed here. A 3.7l engine in a car this size? Wow. I looked at the Liberty last year, but am simply not an SUV person. Does anyone know if this rally car competitor is set for production? It's an awesome alternative to Subarus that would have a place on the market.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I think it does look a lot like a hatchback. I'd put it in the crossover (suv/hatch) category. If Jeep decides to produce this, we could also see about linking up this discussion with the SUV board. Btw, here's some information from Edmunds' Coverage of the 2001 Detroit Auto Show: Jeep Compass, by Ed Hellwig.

What do you think? Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • With the Liberty chassis, they may be able to pull it off. I can't wait 2-2 1/2 years, since my car is so old. I've heard that it will be an '04. With the way the companies make thier model years, that could be anywhere from Jan '03 to Dec '04...
This discussion has been closed.