Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Compass

Comments

• riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    Just announced on 3/17 that they will produce 11 new vehicles by 2004. 11! I'm guessing this will be one of them.
  • Especially starting under 20 grand.
  • There was some sort of announcement in the last few days. Something about Chrysler group realizing that their average buyer is getting OLD, so they're trying to speed up the timeline for the Compass (YES!!!) and the M-80 truck. Unfortunately, you have to be an autonews subscriber to read all of the info... If anyone can get some production dates, that would be a great help - I was giving up hope on the Compass and/or the Chevy Borrego ever coming out.
  • Found it reprinted on www.scatpack.com

------------------

Chrysler seeks fast OK to produce Dodge M80 and Jeep Compass concepts
    By DIANA T. KURYLKO
    Automotive News
    NEW YORK

Alarmed by the age of its buyer base, the Chrysler group has put two youth-oriented concept vehicles unveiled at the Detroit auto show on a fast track for approval. The Dodge M80 pickup and Jeep Compass entry-level sport-utility are aimed at the industry's hottest target group - millennials, under 24 years old.

The average age of Chrysler brand buyers is 54. For Jeep, the average age is 48 and for Dodge, 47. "If you see a PT Cruiser parked at a high school, it's probably owned by a middle-aged teacher and not a student," Jim Schroer, Chrysler group's marketing chief, said last week at the New York auto show.

The largest portion of the emerging buyer group, which already is bigger than the baby boomer generation, will hit the market in 2007, said George Murphy, senior vice president of global brand marketing.

"That is where we are spending a lot of our effort; it is a huge priority," he said. "We are looking hard at what to do for those kids. They won't buy cars for a couple of years, but that works with our development cycle."

Vehicles for this generation have to be affordable - priced between $12,000 and $17,000 - but rich in appeal, he said.

Richard Schaum, executive vice president for development and quality, said approval for the M80 could come in the next six months. "That's sooner than I thought," Schaum said.
    Murphy said the M80 has generated the most positive reaction from clinics.

"They say the Jeep Liberty is for their older sister, and the Grand Cherokee is for their parents. But (the M80 and Compass) resonate very well with that generation."

Murphy said the challenge is to woo the new generation without alienating baby boomers and Generation X, Chrysler's bread-and-butter buyer base.

"Aging baby boomers are a huge segment," Murphy said. "They will eat up the Chrysler Pacifica and the Chrysler Crossfire. We have equity with these buyers, and this is where you will make good margins."
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    from Edmunds' Concept Car Spotlight: Jeep Compass, Jeep's New Direction, by Warren Clarke.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• gotta go with vero on this, wrong segment. make it a chrysler. they could use a rwd sport kinda car, which this could be in an srt form. chevy will have the gto, ford the stag, chrysler has nothing sporty, rwd and affordable. by the way, rumor is that the hemi engine will be going into grand cherokees next year with something like 350hp. imagine that in this car, damn.
  • by the way, i guess i kinda went off without supporting my original statement too thoroughly. the main reason this should be a chrysler and not a jeep is because this would be the first jeep ever unable to pass the rubicon. jeep loyalist would go crazy over this and loyalist would stop buying jeep. so, make it a dodge or a chrysler.
  • I dunno, I think that the Compass is pretty cool. Jeep has a great deal of credibility with the trail riding off-roaders, but the market is changing. Lots of new brands are expanding into the market that Jeep pioneered and initially owned. The Jeep brand needs to evolve to stay relevant (IMHO).

AWD rally cars like the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi EVO could be the target of the Compass. Jeep would have to sell it as "a different kind of off road experience for a different generation" or something like that.

I think that Jeep's real appeal is that it is a brand for individualists or "mavericks", and that image should be maintained, but I don't think that they need to be slavishly devoted to Rubicon trial minority.

Unless you actually go off road, owning a Jeep is just like owning any other car (or truck) and many, many folks buy Jeeps simply because they look cool and of course, the VAST majority of Jeep owners never go off the pavement.

I don't see any rational reason why hardcore Jeepers would be more offended an AWD Compass than they would be by a 2WD Liberty (like my wife's car).
  • I think the compass should be made under Chrysler and so should of the liberty. They should of kept the cherokee also. Look what they say about the liberty.
    "They say the Jeep Liberty is for their older sister, and the Grand Cherokee is for their parents."
    I will be looking to replace my daily driver and I am interested in the XJ but I not going to buy a liberty.
    If Jeep keeps going this way I just won't ever buy a new Jeep again. They will probably ruin the wrangler in the near future. Maybe I can get a rubicon and stretched TJ out of them before they start chasing trends.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Since it's been inactive here for quite some time, this discussion will soon be closed and archived.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Additional Info on Compass and Another Jeep Debuting in 2004 - posted Sunday, August 31, 2003

I'm a sucker for spy shots. With that in mind, I was checking out PopularMechanics.com and saw this snippet on Jeep's plans for the 2004 model year in their "Spy Reports" area:

2004 Jeep Compass

Word out of DaimlerChrysler is that the Compass will definitely be coming to your Jeep dealer within a year. Simply stated, the Compass is a modified Liberty. The major difference from the Liberty is the 2-door body style. Another difference, this more important to Jeep, is that the Compass will be less costly to build than the Liberty. Jeep wants an entry-level model in the Liberty line, and instead of taking features out of the Liberty, the company plans to have the new Compass fill that bill.

2004 Baby Jeep

Reports say that two low-priced Jeeps will make their appearance in dealer showrooms starting in the 2004 model year. Slightly smaller than the Liberty, the new models will feature fewer frills, smaller engines, and niceties that normally boost SUV prices out of reach of younger buyers. The aim is to get buyers into the Jeep fold at an earlier age. What will the new vehicles look like? They'll be easily recognizable as Jeep products, similar in exterior design to Jeep Compass and Willys2 concepts.
  • Have you see the production Jeep Compass? I looks like the Aztec has a little buddy!

To bad! the concept was a great ride and an off road vehicle. The production car is to much pimped out civic want-a-be with a bit of Gremlin (rear side window) tossed in.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2005/frankfurt/highlights/index4.php#car21

sorry to say it!

C Griswold :confuse:
  • I don't think Jeep/Chrysler needs the Compass or the Gladiator truck, and the Commander is too much too late! With gas prices as high as they are most people are looking toward cars, the suv craze is over! The design of the Compass is in a word BAD! It looks like that other piece O crap Chrysler is coming out with, the Caliber. Also, these hard core Jeep owners need to understand that most people don't buy a new Jeep and then take try to drive over a boulder with it. Most people that buy them want the looks and and aren't gonna ruin their new ride.
  • OK, when I saw the very cool Compass concept I thought that Jeep had a good idea for expanding their brand into other, legitimate areas the involving "off pavement" market.

However, the production Compass is HORRIBLE and should NOT be sold as a Jeep. For pity's sake, the thing is a subcompact wagon more similar to the old AMC Gremlin (as someone noted above) than the WRX/Evo. A huge misstep that will devalue the Jeep name instead of expanding the Jeep market.

Jeep was always "the genuine article" as far as off road brands were concerned, now I think Jeep may lose that valuable perception to the Hummer brand (with this rickety jalopy in their line-up).

Hey, Dieter! Pull the plug on the Compass ASAP!
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    to revive this dead forum.

Jeep Compass at Detroit.

I like it! It's been modified from the concepts that we've seen, but still looks handsome and rugged.
  • If you look at the original concept and the final product surprise, surprise, surprise.

Thanks for reviving this thread. Dead, being the operative word here, is what I would call the final product. I don't think Jeep can revive this DOA product. :cry:

Now lets see if Detroit can ruin the Buick Enclave Concept. :confuse: The Ford Edge seems to have changed, but not for the worse.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    I sure hope to God that Buick doesn't screw up the Enclave. The interior is fabulous, it puts even Lexus to shame. This is the best product to ever wear the Buick badge, (after the Regal GNX, one my favorite cars ;) )

The Compass looks pretty nice, much better than the similarily sized Liberty. I hope they make an SRT version, that'd be pretty neat.

Remember the Rescue concept? That's one Jeep concept that I really want to see in production. I'd choose it over an H2 anyday.
This discussion has been closed.