Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Compass

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,049
    You can cross-check your price with the True Market Value tool, and please report on your deal in the Jeep Compass: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.
  • hortaghortag Posts: 12
    farout: Good luck with your purchase. I checked out the price of the Compass with the Edmunds TMV tool and it really looked like I was getting a good deal. But it makes me really stoked when there is definite conformation from others purchasing the same deal. Again, I live on a dirt road that degrades the momen a soft wind blows across the land. If it rains, I am having to drive to save my life. This Jeep is true to its name. I love the ability to shift this CVT like it had gears. I compared it to the CRV and the CRV seemed like it was a peppier engine. However, thats because the Jeep CVT slowly revs up if your not shifting the CVT yourself. My wife has a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and she is extremely happy with the Jeep name (well except for the broken ball joint she suffered today *OUCH*.) Regardless, I can't wait to take our first long family trip with the Compass. I plan to install an aftermarket overhead DvD player and an aftermarket bluetooth hands free set up.
  • carguy37carguy37 Posts: 3
    I recently test drove a 07 Jeep compass sport at a local car dealer with just the basics no fancy features except a CVT automatic tranny. Well i got onto the highway and the car wouldnt do any faster than 80 MPH and the tranny wouldnt shift. So i said this isnt right and when i got back to the dealer and told them they said a whole lot of nothing when i told them. So i knew somthing was wrong cause they say the top speed is 112 MPH. I really like the compass and am into consideration of purchasing one. i just wondering if any current owners have encountered the promblem i did test driving the vehicle and if they did what was it and i also wanted current owners take on the vehicle like what did u think of the car for yourself. Im deeply considering buying this vehicle cause i loved it so much and i thought before i did i would get some advice. so please comment back cause i need the advice so i can make my final decision on whether to buy it or not cause like i said i love the vehicle and im deeply considering purchasing one. Thanks
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    carguy37: Welcome to the Compass forum! We just got our Compass on April 5th. We got it because DCX bought our 2005 Liberty Diesel back from us. It gave us lots of problems. We chose the Compass 4x4 because of the small vehicle and the 4x4. I can not tell you if it will go to 112 mph or not. I have had it up to 80 mph and it stayed at 6,000 + rpm's, and when I just slightly let off the gas it went into a higher point and had lots more to give. Perhaps you just kept your foot on the peddle and kept it floored?
    We got 23.4 mpg and the first jaunt, which I feel was real good for a new engine. Hope this helps.

farout
    Thanks for the advice yea i did have the petal to the floor and i was just waiting for it to shift cause thats what most automatics do or most other cars that have automatic trannys do. So i didnt realize u had to let of the gas a little bit to get it to shift and do over 80 MPH. thanks ill keep that in mind when i make my final purchase decision. and i thought a car with 172 hp would do more than 80 MPH its just like i said i didnt knoe that u had to let off the gas to get it to do more than 80 mph. So once again thanks.
  • neely2005neely2005 Posts: 70
    Remember that it's a CVT Transmission so it doesn't shift...
    neely2005: I have not yet gotten used to the CVT, it works fine, and the change of the transmission belt is smooth, but we can tell by the engines RPM that it has changed. So far we are getting 25.1 mpg. After looking at the Patriot again the other day, we see how much more you get for the money with the Compass. If driving a box is a persons thing then a Patriot is the way to go, but the Compass style is nicer to us anyway.

What kind of mpg are you getting? Had any problems yet?

farout
    I live in a part of New Hampshire that was recently hard hit by the Noreaster. I already live on a dirt road that suffers from pot holes and pock marks the moment it drizzels ever so slightly. I was able to take my Compass, through 6 inches of mud, water over our front bumper, and up the side of a mountain pass wide enough for only one car. I would have made it out of my back water town to, if only this Jeep could fly. No matter how solid your SUV, a washed out bridge is what it is...a washed out bridge. I still have only gotten at best, 22mpg, but right now, I am attributing that to the insane driving conditions I have had to put up with since I purchased it. My only regret now, is not getting the hands free Uconnect option.
    hortag: Every time we check our mpg it goes up. Yesterday we got 25.4 mpg. We have found that at 60 mph is where we have got the best mpg. We have noticed that in freeway traffic the engine is not the peppiest 4 cyc. we have ever owned, nor the most fuel efficient. As we remember our 2004 Dodge Neon with the 4 speed automatic was 30+ mpg right off the bat. However the total weight was about 800 lbs less too, and was not a 4x4 either, and the back seat was not fit for a fifth grade boy, say nothing about a small sized woman. The Compass back seat is roomy even for a good sized man, and that is something real unusual in todays med. sized vehicles.
    I would agree that if the road conditions improve so will your mpg.

farout
    farout: I agree with you that my gas mileage is bound to increase as my driving conditions improve. Your also right regarding the adequate seating; as I mentioned before in another post, im 6'4" 264lbs and I seat in really well. But I have to disagree with your assertion that this engine isn't very peppy. I think the CVT throws some drivers off regarding power. When I compared this to the new CRV, I made the same mistake, and wondered how an SUV that had billed itself as having 172HP could seem so sluggish. After checking out the info on the CVT and researching the technology, I realized why the Jeep shiftronic system was so important. Try taking your Jeep back on the road and shifting yourself. I think youll find your self happier with the strength and push of the motor. On our local highways here, I hit a nice stride between 3rd and 4th "gear" and getting the engine to punch, is very easy .
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    A reporter is hoping to talk to consumers who have purchased or considered a Jeep Compass and have never before owned a Chrysler. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 26, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your interest in the Compass.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• djp_63djp_63 Posts: 10
    I have been a Mopar fan for years, owning several Dodge and Jeep products over my driving career. I have been anxious about the Caliber since I saw the early pre-production pictures. I waited, watched and read everything I could to see how they would hold up, especially the CVT. Then I saw that Jeep was coming out with a Cherokee sized vehicle that delivered decent mileage; so I decided to wait until I could see that. But first I had to wait for the Compass to come out first. I never warmed up to the looks of the Compass, and honestly, I think the Patriot is going to outsell it 3 to 1.

With intent to finally buy, I began to test drive my interest and the competition so that I had a point of reference. The Caliber and Patriot stayed right at the top of list the whole time. They both looked good, had good crash ratings, good mileage and were priced well. With Patriots arriving, I found myself taking turns driving a sport appearance Caliber and Sport Patriot. In the in end, the Patriot had a better interior, outer body hardware, more room, bigger engine and future better resale. I still like the Caliber, but the interior was light coloured and was already scuffed up on the lot. It also had some plastic trim along the roofline that would degrade in a few years in the Florida sun. I was so glad to have them side-by-side and happy with my Patriot.

My first fill up yielded a tad over 27 mpg, which was mostly mixed highway. I am 6'2 and 180 pounds and the driving position is great. I like the Yes Essential fabric better than the leather, and the darker interior plastic seems to be good and cleans easily. The CVT is very nice, and the motor seems powerful, but a little pokey off the line but still strong. I was used to an straight six in a Cherokee. The long-term reliability of the CVT is my main concern though, but that withstanding, I really like the Patriot.

DJP
    dip_63: I am glad you like your Patroit. The Compass and Patroit have the same underpinnings. The Compass is what we chose. The dash is the same too. The interiors as far as room is just about the same, with the Patriot has a few more square feet. The Patriot is the entry vehicle for Jeep, and can be trail rated at less mpg. There are many Jeep Patriots and Compass' on dealers lots. the Compass 4x4's are on a 26 week wait, where the Patriot has only a 16 week wait. The big difference for us was that the Compass comes with a $1000. higher cost, because it comes with more standard things, that are an added cost for the Patroit. Both are a good value, and we are both pleased with our vehicles. Farout
  • neely2005neely2005 Posts: 70
    So much for all the complaints that the Compass isn't "Trail Rated"...
    :)
    Hey, with the drop to 21 mpg to have a "TRAIL RATED" Patriot, who really wants one? I for one am very pleased with our Compass 4x4. For us it is just what we want!

farout
    I'd prefer not to have to "Home Trail Rate" my Compass, but for those of us that live in the sticks, we don't have much of a choice. Luckily, a Jeep is a Jeep, is a Jeep. Still, I would rather get more MPG by living 5 minutes from a major highway instead of having to pass a sign that say "Mud Xing, Pass At Own Risk" when ever I turn on to my street. Jeep has finally made 2 SUV's that do what the foreign competitors have been doing for a while now. Creating affordable quality trucks, that sport trendy styling AND get good gas mileage.
    Yip, you tend to lose gas mileage when your dragging a heavy skid plate around for that rare occasion you want to rock crawl with out risking your under carriage. :surprise: :surprise:
    We live on a rough dirt & gravel amd steep hill up to our house. 1 mile in and 1 mile out. We at times go up snow & ice, and a stream that floods up to 10 inches over the road. I would say we have more of a 4x4 need than most people. The Compass seems to do it all really well. The mpg seems to be 24 to 26, and by the computer we have seen as high as 30.2 mpg. The Compass is so smooth and rides like a much bigger vehicle. The CVT is still new to us and it too seems to be very reliable. So far we are very pleased.

The price of gas here is $3.16 a gallon! Oh I sure hope it does not go up much higher.

farout
    Wow,

You sure you don't live near my house? Sounds like my drive. I didn't get the trip computer in mine. Odd since it has Navi and darn near everything else. When I estimate gas mileage, I zero out my odometer when I fill up my tank. Then, the next time I fill up, I divide the gallons by my miles. My wife has a trip computer in her Liberty, and the old fashioned manual way seems to be the more accurate way of determining MPG's. I get on average, 22-23 MPG, but then again, I probably out weigh you by a good 150lbs at least. Half my commute is back roads as well so...

Anyway, I am thinking of getting beefier tires and a large Thule top rack. Ill be putting in the DvD player soon as well. Im sure that wont help my gas mileage. :D :D
    Yea after test driving the compass i've looked at a few others like the patriot for example to make my final decision and i think im going with the compass i like everything about it except that CVT transmission. I mean why couldnt the just give it a regular automatic tranny. but i do like the great gas mileage u get and the feel and room and how everything is easy to read and get to i just dont like how it feels like it has no horsepower because of the cvt it seems like its holding back. and this coming after test driving other vehicles like the chevy cobalt and hhr but i want something a lil cheaper but doesnt feel like im not getting any options with it so im really going towards the compass. like i said the only thing i dont like iz the tranny options but ill get over it cause i really need something tough roomy and gets good gas mileage considering where i live gas is anywhere from $2.88-$2.96 its ridiculous these gas prices well please let me know if you think im leaning towards the right decisions cause i really could use some opinions here. Thanks