Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USED European Luxury Cars (pre 1990)

Comments

• I did own a Quantum but not a 4WD as I recall, and it was a pretty good car.

Personally I don't think it's worth restoring "from the dead"...you should just go out and buy a "live" one for not much money and save yourself the hassle.

Maybe if he gave it to you that might be worth the trouble. This is a $2,000 car in GREAT condition, so non-running it is virtually worthless.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    He is trying to give this car to me.
  • Well, then, can you bring it up to excellent condition inside and out for $2,000?
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Most, if not all, Mercedes products from the late '60s have the Bosch D-Jetronic system in their engines from what I've seen. How reliable are these, anyway? Is it a service-and-forget-about-it system like today's injections?
  • argentargent Posts: 176
    The D-Jetronic was Bosch's first-generation electronic injection, which was also used on Volkswagens and Porsches during that period. See http://retro.co.za/efi/d-jet.html or http://www.914fan.net/djet.html for info and a troubleshooting guide for it.
  • amazonamazon Posts: 293
    My father drove the early 70's Volvos as police cars. He told me that when the police radio was in use, the car would run very poorly. This happened mainly on the '70-'73 140 with FI. In 74, they went to K-Jetronic. I understand that is a semi- mechanical system. Can someone shed more light on this (K- vs D- Jetronic)?
  • I think K is called CIS, Porsche also went to this and from all reports it's a lot better than J. The 144 Volvos with J had a lot of flat spots, erratic idle, all kinds of glitches, but they did keep going. CIS was just a lot smoother and more efficient, and easier to work on and diagnose. I think vacuum leaks and that electro-mechanical throttle plate thingie on the air horn were the big problems. The black box worked okay and I don't recall the injectors being a problem aside from rusting now and then.
  • amazonamazon Posts: 293
    I do recall that the K-Jetronic was a continuous injection system. Basically, the injectors were continuously spraying the fuel into the engine, vs. "squirting" the fuel like most other systems.
  • You got a much better throttle response with CIS. The fuel amount would vary infinitely with vacuum I believe, measured through a fuel distributor.

Another pain in the neck I forgot about the older J system was the triggering points inside the distributor that were always fouling up. They would trigger 2 injectors at a time, pulsed by I guess a little cam in the distributor. These points would get dirty and if you tried to clean them with anything abrasive, as if they were ignition points, you immediately ruined them.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    the '71 280 SL after this board closes? I haven't noted any specific boards and it isn't something you see every day. Although there is one for sale here locally, I'd never seen blue leather before. White body, with blue top, interesting, like the burgundy better.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    I think that color combo was available.

the 230-250-280SL is actually pretty common around California. I see 1-2 almost every day. They made a lot of them (around 50,000!)and many consequently have survived due to popularity and excellent build quality.

You can still buy them from say $16,000 for a decent driver to $30K on up for the real beauties. A few of them have the very rare 5-speed manual transmission, but most are automatics and less are 4-speed sticks. The stick shift is no fun to shift but it can be worked over to be shift-able.

The reason the 5-speed is great is that you get a sort of overdrive. One big drawback of the 280SL is that it is really wound up tight at 70 mph and not very pleasant to drive because of all that engine revving.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    For a used car (vs a classic) it's hard to go wrong with a well-kept 6 cyl (M103) MB W126. The last ones were the end of an era.
    I also think the 6s are better overall. The V8s are complex and real gas hogs.
    The M103 is a fantastic engine. It lasts a long time and is a good performer. The original 300E was a rocket in its day.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    check out this cute little booger for sale. Too bad they don't list a price.

I always thought these 80's hardtops were cool, but aren't they considered money pits?
    oh you don't want those big old coupes--heavy, expensive, slow rust buckets and bad investments.
    250SE...looks to need some cosmetic tidying...maybe 10K if mechanically sound. They can rust.

500SEC...probably about half that if it is sound. It's not too cool with 92-style wheels and those wheelarch trim pieces. If you like those, seek out a late 560SEC - best of the style. Very easily a money pit, an engine rebuild is easily twice the value of the car.
  • mbchikmbchik Posts: 2
    Just bought my first Mercedes, a 1988 190E 2.3 series. It's a great little vehicle has lots of power for a 4 cylinder. I am having problems with the electronics for the trunk access. The access is normally from the outside with the key which isn't working. Is there access to the trunk from the inside of the vehicle? Or some other way to bypass the electronics to open the trunk?
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...you've tried the trunk lock from both the trunk and via unlocking the doors at the driver's door, which also (should) unlock the fuel filler door and trunk. You should be able to just push the trunk lock button and open it.
    Yeah, there's no interior button to unlock/open it as far as I know. When you unlock the doors, the trunk unlocks, and when you lock it, everything locks at once. Sometimes the lock cylinders on those cars canm get iffy if you try to unlock it from the trunk lock - it can take a few tries. Just unlock a door and it should all unlock.
This discussion has been closed.