Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Do You Replace Your Tires?

2»

Comments

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Oh, and by the way I knew you meant Ford Explorer. I was just giving you a hard time! Sorry :)
  • Andre 1969--I don't know that I did anything magic to get 70K from my original Goodyear GA's. Maybe because I drive fairly gently and do a lot of freeway driving. My replacement Goodrich Advantage Plus now have 35K, and look like they'll go as long as the Goodyears, although I probably won't let them. As I said, the tread wasn't gone on the Goodyears at 70K, but the traction was.
    Q45man, I have always suspected what you confirmed. My current Goodrich tires seem to have lost a lot of wet traction at 35K.
  • q45manq45man Posts: 416
    Heavy powerful RWD cars are hell on tires, the better the car handles [more aggressive camber curves] the more stress the tires see. You tend to drive a little faster in curves because these cars handle so well. Stopping a 1,000 pound heavier car is a lot more than 25% more stressful.
    Normal tire wear on these cars is 16,000 to 25,000 miles even with a Premium tire [assuming you maintain the required soft treadwear index] otherwise they won't stop.
    Traction control aggrevates the problem since it works primarily by applying the rear brakes to stop the slip.
    Many of my comments apply to heavy powerful cars...ask BIG SUV owners.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Are Douglas tires any good? I've seen them advertised a WalMart with 80k treadlife expectancy for a very resonable price. I live in the deep south, so snow is not an issue.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    What are you going to put them on? If you have a large heavy vehicle that you drive all the time, go with a premium tire. On the other hand, if these will go on a smaller vehicle that you drive only occasionally, go for it. You get what you pay for.
2»
This discussion has been closed.