Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus Problems

2»

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Re the rear power windows, check for damaged wiring at the master switch. If the switch is in the driver's door, check for a broken wire inside the conduit between the door and the cowl.
  • thammelthammel Posts: 3
    I'm replacing the front axles (halfshafts) on my 1990 Taurus and have a few questions! Chiltons manual says you need a few special tools; in particular a heacy duty hub puller, a slide hammer (I have this) and then even a tool to drive the left axle through the transaxle to remove it. Why not simply use the slide hammer or pry bar on the left side? The manual says you also MUST replace the circlips on the end of the axles along with the bolts/nuts holding the ball joint to the steering swivel. The biggest dealership in my city (Baltimore) did not have a stock of these circlips, so I doubt that these are typically replaced. Any comments on tools required or the need to replace all these parts?

Thanks immensely!
  • playrock21playrock21 Posts: 1
    There is a recall out for the headgaskets on the 3.8L engines. My thunderbird's headgasket went 3 months ago and that is when I found out about it. You should have your VIN # checked with a dealer to see if it is recalled and have them do it before it is too late. The recall is only good up to 100,000 miles.
  • rockymtrockymt Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 93 Taurus (171K miles). The vehicle needed a new brake light switch, and of course, the operator should continue to step on the brake pedal when shifting out of Park. The switch installs very easily down near the lever that holds the brake pedal. Dealer wanted approx $22 for part. I bought from NAPA for half that, P/N SL220, although your part number may be different.
  • jaygriffinjaygriffin Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to disconnect the speedometer cable on a Ford Tauras (93). I got the dash loose. I can (barely) get my hand on the cable, BUT I can't figure out that connector!

Thanks!
  • srocsroc Posts: 15
    I am experiencing steering wheel vibrations in my 2000 Taurus especially at high speeds (above 55/60) or when I brake. There is also a slight thumping noise from the front wheels - I suspect the two are the result of the same problem!

My mechanic tels me the wheels require replacement. I am wondering whether a simple balancing/alignment will solve this. Any suggestions?
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Are you still using stock tires? I used to have those problems but when i replaced the tires with Yokohoma and got them balanced at the dealer vibration disapeared. Did you hit your wheels? It is very slim chance that you have defective wheels.
    Don't go to 3rd party shops to get your balancing done. They use smaller lead weight to cut corners and they are not as precise as dealers. Small weight are contributing the problem and one more thing if you have alloy wheels, wash them with kitchen detergant before you take it to balancing. If the wheel surface is dirty, weight never gets stuck and soon will just drop.
  • grape49grape49 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ford Taurus SE; worst piece of garbage i have ever owned. Had to replace a/c at 53k miles($1000) and then my entire transmission was thrashed at 63k($2400). what a piece of crap and embarassment. Never again will I ever buy detroit.also have had other things which in deference to the length of posting i kept off. anyone looking for sedan...think Toyota, Honda, not these clowns from ford
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    I'm just curious, did you change your tranny fluid at 3ok and 60k?
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Toyota just admitted that their engines have sludge problems.
    Honda's V6 transmissions are different story of course.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Let's fold this topic into our ongoing and more popular "Taurus repair and maintenance" discussion" which appears just above this one on the topic list. Please join us in that topic.

I'll leave this one up as "read only" so it can point people to the other Taurus topic.

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

2»
This discussion has been closed.