Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• richt5richt5 Posts: 43
    Ive read that the Evo has a water spray on the inter cooler. Reading srt 4--- 1/4 mile times ,heat build up slows the car .5-.6 seconds after 3 runs. It seems a relatively easy thing to add to the srt 4. The Evo (considering its experience) and respect. If they use it ,there is a reason. It sounds like a cheap way to keep the heat down and performance consistent. This has never been mentioned so I invite comments from the turbo Experts. thanks
  • I don't think most drag strips will let you run a sprayer but they do help. They don't want the water getting on the track and making it slippery.
    If you read other forms on the SRT 4, what seems to be happening is a lot of guys are having problems with the car.Blown head gaskets, clutch linkage , leaking inter coolers, electronic control problems, boost gage and temp. gage failure,poor paint finish and the lack of dealers to fix the problems ,probably because the cars are still new. Everything considered, there are not many of these cars around and with few miles on them.Is this just a sample of things to come or is it just going to take a while to get the bugs out. I think DODGE would have put strong quality control on this car, being a brand image and setting the stage for future NEON sales.--OPINIONS--
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    How about posting some URLs or references to these other forums. This is the only one here I'm aware of unless you are referring to the "experts" on the Honda forums. I've never seen so much "Hot Air" being expelled about a car that has hardly been out a few months on the coasts and won't be in the Mid West for another 2 or 3 months. I also suspect most of the folks have never owned a Neon who are spewing the most "Hot Air"
    I never post b.s.----there are a number of other good forums out there. The info is from actual srt 4 owners. I have a deposit on one of these cars so i am not downing DODGE, but am very concerned. As you will see there are problems, that I or no one can justify. No HONDA GUY. I was glad to see DODGE come out with this car, to put down the imports--- but that does not seem to be the case. Go to www.srtforums.com , click under the picture and go to srt 4 problems and dealer services. Let me know your impressions. thanks
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    hmmmm...?? I've spent some time at those forums, and I have only seen a few people with a few problems.

It's a new car, it will have some teething pains, but the sky is not falling.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    It has a comparo with the Mazdaspeed Protege, Focus SVT 5-door, Sentra SE-R and SRT-4. I was shocked to see the Neon come in first place! The main complaints were with the lack of a LSD and lousy gas mileage. The editors seemed genuinely surprised with the extent of the transformation over a stock Neon.

As I recall, the order was
    4. Sentra SE-R Spec V
    3. Mazdaspeed Protege
    2. Focus SVT (I might have 2-3 mixed up here)
    1. SRT-4.

My favorite comment was something to the effect of "Mustang GT and 350Z owners, race for pink slips at your peril".

-Jason
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    It shouldn't be a shock. The finishing order you gave is very similar, if not the same as what Sport Compact Car magazine concluded (especially if you do have 2 and 3 mixed up).
    The SRT-4 is fast, but the question is how reliable will it be?
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    Richt5, there are very few problems listed over at the SRTforums page. That headgasket failure was on a brand new car that overheated while driving it off the lot, I'd say a slip-up while building or they didn't get a full tank of water in it. Actually there seem to be very few problems considering the new content involved in the powertrain of this car. There is also a big SRT-4 discussion over at www.neons.org not many problems there either.

Saw a Mazda speed protoge at the dealer yesterday. They are OK, but seem pretty short on power compared to what the Neon got out of the old DOHC 2.0. The color was a knockout on the Mazada though, a very cool orange. I'd have paid $500 more to get my truck in that color!
    A slip up while building---- Is a problem. I did find out that some posts, which were stated as problems---were problems caused by owner modifications to the SRT 4 and there for not by DODGE. We will see how this all shakes out in a year or so.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    But very few sold too. Not good right off the bat.
    I've got 3 Neons. 1 is a 99 Plymouth Expresso coupe with the DOHC 2.0, 1 is a 99 Dodge R/T coupe and the last is a 2002 R/T. Minor problems with the 99s fixed on first trip to the dealer, never left us stranded or did not start. 2002 has had ZERO problems, oil changes only. Personally based on MY experience with 3 of them shows that they don't deserve the bad reputation import owners seem to want to give them.

I Read the Car and Driver test.
    1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds and 102mph if I recall correctly, who cares if it only averages 14mpg!

Top speed 153mph, who cares about mileage! Best I ever got out of my 2002 was an indicated 127mph Another nice thing about the R/Ts, no fuel cutoff at 98mph like Pontiac GrandAm and others. My 02 R/T averages 28mpg with my foot in it most of the time. Paid $15K after rebates and that was with leather too.
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    it was due to the engine being in the "sweet spot" of turbo thrust for a good portion of the time driven. This tends to dramatically eat away at gas mileage. Would bet if driven normally, it would get 20+ mpg.

Also, thought it was a 2.4 dohc and not a 2.0?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    .....All the action is taking place in other SRT forums. Anyways, since lack of LSD is quoted as one of the drawbacks of this car, can it be added in aftermarket? How much does it cost?

How are the real owners finding this car so far?
    True, the SRT-4 is a 2.4 (SOHC?) while the 2002 R/T is a 2.0 SOHC. The last 2.0 DOHC made was in 1999.
  • Yes a LSD can be added in the aftermarket. I don't know if anybody is making one for the srt-4 yet so its kinda hard to figure out price. The ones for the old turbo dodges range from $159-$1200 depending on the trans and if you want to go half assed or not if that helps :)
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    The 2.4L in the SRT4 is a DOHC.
  • tallzagtallzag Posts: 3
    Saw an SRT-4 with "supposedly" just a boost controller with 15 PSI of boost pull 220 ad 276 this weekend. I saw the sheet, it was real. He ran a 13.8 at the strip the day before. That is awesome power out of a 4 banger. He said the 5 speed is the limiting factor, it wouldn't shift? This didn't make any sense to me.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Posts: 99
    just ran a 13.9 stock.
    Check out the results from the first Road Atlanta race!

1 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 3:29.642 420
    Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
    2 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 3:36.336 415
    Ronald Adee, John Myrick
    3 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 3:40.464 410
    Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele

10th overall:
    1 2 chev MTI Z-07 SSGT1 2465
    Ronald Adee, John Myrick
    2 4 Chevy Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2465
    John Boos, Ronald Marks
    3 3 RUF RGT SSGT1 2440
    Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
    4 1 Dodge Viper SSGT1 2425
    David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
    5 5 Toyota Supra Turbo SSGT1 2350
    Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler
    6 6 Dodge Viper GTS SSGT1 2340
    Alan Modzelewski, Tom Atherton
    7 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 2330
    Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth
    8 20 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 SSGT1 2180
    Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim
    9 7 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 2175
    Rodney Sizemore, Rick Sizemore
    10 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 2075
    Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele

Next car in the same class is a WRX, which is in 15th overall.

SRT4 has factory stage 1 kit, ACR struts, thicker rear roll bar, and factory LSD, along with 16" rims and street tires. Not too shabby eh? All of the stuff is/will be available shortly from your local Dodge dealer...

There's a whole thread on the SRT4 Forums board about the SRT4 in the race.
    Does anyone have inside information on 2004 SRT 4,as far as delivery is concerned, will we be able to order 1 and how many will be made for 2004. Maybe someone out there works for dodge and has the info.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,832
    What's the stage 1 kit, do you know?

Other than the picture from a car show from a looooong time ago mentioning a computer upgrade and higher fuel injector output, I don't know.

Supposed to have around 240HP/265 lbs-ft of torque, but with the stock SRT4 getting 210-230HP at the wheels, who knows. Stage 2 260/275 is a little more boost, fuel injector boost and some exhaust work, and stage 3 300/300 is a turbo replacement, computer and injector work and complete change in the exhaust which removes the cat and makes it off-road only.

This all based off something that is rather old at this point. Read a couple of rumors that at least Stage 1 will be offered come summer, sometime in the next month or so. Sure there will be a press release.

Curious about the LSD they are going to offer, and how much it will be. Shaping up to be a decent little performance vehicle, espeically if they finish in the top 10 at the One Lap of America.

-B
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Posts: 70
    SRT-4 dyno runs

I think there maybe a http://www.quaifeusa.com/ lsd available already and if not there will be soon. They aren't cheap though but a phantom grip style lsd will probably be out soon too and they are a lot less expensive but not as good.
    Moved up one space as of last night... Wow, a top ten finish by a 20K in the mid-priced sedan category with only top all-out sports cars in the top class ahead of it would be fantastic! Talk about a good marketing opportunity...

-B
  • jglackinjglackin Posts: 164
    Just checked. We are not able to order 04's yet, not that we've seen many 03's her in the greater Phila area.
    For the SRT-4 is ready to go. +25HP +25 lbs-ft of torque for $399 from your local Dodge dealer. Not too shabby!

-B
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Posts: 31
    What does stage one consist of and does it retain your warranty?
    bigger injectors and ECU flash.

Same as any performance mod minus the TRD supercharger from Toyota. If item causes the problem, it won't be covered.

A bit tough to handle since many things could be blamed on the ECU...

-B