Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• sorry its golf mk 4 03 plate
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,493
    A good one if you are planning on stopping there hp/torque wise is the Sachs V6 SM clutch. What is tricky is the lighter flywheel. Stay with the 20# not the lighter flywheel.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    Many people find that the GTI or the VR6 clutch can handle the increased power.
  • johnzonhjohnzonh Posts: 2
    hey there,

Im at a loss on this and its something that popped up about a month ago.

our 99 TDI Beetle has absolutely no get up and go.... and will top out at about 70 mph flat highway. I was thinking fuel and air so I replaced fuel filter and air filter...

I'm not burning oil, engine sounds good, no jerking or anything like that. It just will not perform. Starts fine (replaced glow plugs last year...of course got soaked for the job for VW to get rid of the check engine light. We live in relatively cold climate but have had no starting issues and have been through a several tanks of diesel.

The light is back on ...and of course now I am stuck driving slow. Wondering about a waste gate issue? Anything I can do before I go kicking and screaming to VW?
  • oke3oke3 Posts: 2
    LOSS OF POWER SOUNDS LIKE A BAD MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, EASY FIX. GOOD LUCK.
    I would bet money that your intake plenum is plugged up... this is KNOWN to happen to MK4 TDIs. The combonation of crappy USA fuel and ExhaustGasRecirculation cause this to happen.The only real fix is to remove the plenum and clean it. It is a very messy job...lots of black goop.

If you do some research about this on the internet, you will find several do-it-yourself cleanings complete with photos.
  • pludlowpludlow Posts: 16
    Possibly the mass air flow sensor, as earlier reply suggested. I had a problem at 80kmi which was sluggish acceleration (low torque), like the turbo quit. Changed the MAF sensor and it was back to perky self. I did not find a max speed as you did, just took forever to get there. Lower gear helped.

I'm wondering if you have a obstruction in the fuel supply (tank vent??) that limits the fuel flow and therefore the speed. Can you find a flat spot in lower gears at same rpm? If so that would suggest a fuel supply problem.
  • johnzonhjohnzonh Posts: 2
    oooh ok now maybe we are getting somewhere. hmm. I will look into the intake and the sensor issues.

I didn't really find a "flat spot" ...but if I ever need to step on it, go up a hill, or go flat beyond about 70 it will just not do it. Thanks so much ..everyone for the input. I was really getting worried. in this day and age...getting 50 mpg is like gold. I really enjoy the savings.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Tomorrow I’m going to look at a 2005 Beetle GLS TDI 5spd manual with 21,400+ miles on it.

The dealer is asking $18,999, Blue Book is $19,150

Any thoughts on the price. Seems like there are used TDI’s showing up on the lots these days. I wonder why?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    Probably trades on the Jetta Sportwagen TDI. That does seem a bit high. Though that is one of the real pluses with the VW TDI, high resale value. That is very low mileage for a 4 year old car. Make sure it has a clean title, no wrecks.
  • reid12reid12 Posts: 5
    I own a 2006 Beetle with TDI. It is a great car except for one thing. I am only about a thousand miles from replacing tires. Car just rolled over 20000 miles. Mechanically otherwise, great. Watch the electronics, ie: door locks, trunk lock, and cruise control. Mine has been in the shop under warranty for all of these things. Usually a module replacement was all that was necessary.
    The factory tires are pretty crappy when it comes to premature wearout. If you try to replace with exact same tires... you will find there is NO MILAGE WARANTEE at all on them.

Consider getting 4-wheel alignment before installing QUALITY tires with a milage-warantee. Rotate them at least once a year. They should last for well over 50,000 miles.
  • reid12reid12 Posts: 5
    thanks for the reply. Can you recommend a good replacement model and brand. I have looked at Michelin and Continetal. Both are similiar. Pricing a good tire is not an issue. We have a place near us called Discount Tire. They can get me just about any brand of that I want to put on her.

Thanks for the info on what to do.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I suggest you consider buying five Michelin Primacy MXV4's. These tires seem to be the highest rated all-season touring tires. I'm putting a set on my 2006 Jetta TDI because the original Bridgestones wore out. All auto makers are now recommending not using tires that are more than 5-7 years old, so I rotate all five tires to avoid having an old spare that is unsafe.
    I run nothing but NOKIAN tires on my vehicles.

For me, it is important to have traction and safety in the winter months here in Vermont. The WRG2 is one of the only tires on the planet which is rated for summer AND winter (not just an "all season" tire which is NOT rated for snow.)

NOKIAN also stands by their products. I used to own a 4X4 Honda Civic which used to really wear through tires. I went back to the tire-seller to exercise the tire-warantee and NOKIAN replaced all 4 tires for about $15/tire (pro-rated pricing) They did this about 3 times over the time I owned that vehicle!

Also, I demand low rolling resistance to get the most MPG out of my Jetta TDI. These tires deliver with up to 56 MPG on the highway. (I have xcell charts to prove it!)

My eldest daughter has a NB (New Beetle) with 4 NOKIAN WRs on it. I have driven it in the snow and it does well.

If winter performance is not a priority for you... NOKIAN also offers summer-only tires.
    Michelin DOES NOT provide any milage-wearout warantee at all. Given that the original MXV4s on my Jetta only lasted only about 24K miles... these tires are NOT worth the price they ask. (about 30% higher than simular tires)

When price and longevity are considerd, there are better tire-choices available than Michelin.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I have a warranty for 60K miles tread life within six years for the Primacy MXV4's in my hand, and I can read. If you are concerned about winter driving, the Nokian's do not provide the ice traction of dedicated studless winter tires. I drive mountain passes several times each winter, and I would not risk my life with "snow" tires.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Today I took the plunge and purchased a used 2005 New Beetle TDI, GLS and DSG transmission with 47,000 miles. CarFax shows it to be clean. I was told the factory warranty has run out, but I can buy an extended warranty that averages out to about $1000 a year for three or four years. A bit steep I say, but VW repairs are really steep. Might be better to keep the $3K in a repair account and hope for the best.
    We tend to keep cars a long time. I traded a 1993 Explorer with 208000 miles, we purchased new, for the NB. $1,200 they gave me.
    Bpeebles, would you be so kind as to tell me the fuel treatment you use. I know it has been gone over hundreds of times, but I have been away from the threads for a while.
    What sweet ride, can’t wait to take it over the mountains (Cascades).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Keep in mind that Michelin sells many tires that carry the MXV4 tag, and also keep in mind that your Jetta certainly did not come with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. More than likely, your Jetta came with Michelin Energy MXV4s, tires that I had on a former BMW, and tires that, while they are decent, are ranked no where near as highly as the Primacy MXV4.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    I did not know they put the DSG in the 2005 Beetle TDI. I have only been watching for a 2006 model. That is one of my choices as run about. My neighbor has an older NB TDI with about 200K miles. He loves the car and it looks like new. He and his wife drive it more than any of their other cars. Well getting 50 MPG could be the reason.... :blush: