Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I also want to add that some folks have TRIED 5w30 and after several thousand miles, they noted wear on the cam surfaces. It is CRITICAL that the proper oil is used in the TDI engine. The wear-forces acting on the camshaft are FAR more severe than in the gasser. (The valves are opened-closed with different profiles on the TDI.)

This is especially true for the 2004 TDI (pump duse) that uses the camshaft to operate the fuel-pumps for each cylinder.

In any case, dont be afraid of the 10K mile oil-change intervals. Only the folks that get PAID to change oil benifet from anything less.
  • I own an 03 Jetta TDI(manual tranny) with around 51k on it. I just got back from a road trip in the North Georgia mountains.The problem i am having is with the acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. It started happening up in Georgia. One of the things I was doing different as far as driving was driving in mostly 2nd gear on the mountain gravel roads for 5-10 miles at a time.Now when I try and accelerate from a stop there is very little acceleration until about midway through 3rd gear and then the turbo kicks in or the air flow meter starts to properly work. I talked to my mechanic buddy who spoke with a friend who works as a mechanic for Volkswagon and he said it sounded like the air flow meter is going bad and that was a pretty common problem in the Jetta TDI's. His friend gave him an extra air flow meter from a 2 liter engine and said that would add a little pick up to my car. What do you guys think about their diagnosis? Could it be any thing else? I bought the car with 43k on it. The only maintenance I have performed is change the oil and filter 2x, the fuel filter once, replaced the air filter, and cleaned out the air intake screen thing that you guys recommended. Could it be the Turbo going bad? The car works great always by 4th gear and sometimes works good in all gears, and then acts up again in 1st and 2nd with very sluggish acceleration. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Could very well be the MAF (mass airflow meter). These can be expensive if you don't shop around. I properly diagnosed mine at 60k miles as being bad, so it's certainly not uncommon by your mileage. I got mine for around $125, so don't buy one of the expensive ones at the dealership. I've heard the 2.0L MAF will work, but not as well. You can easily figure this out if you can find someone with a computer like I have. You just measure the airflow vs requested and if it's out of spec the MAF is bad. Takes about five minutes to diagnose. I've also heard folks just unhooking the MAF and see if performance increases. If it's really bad, it will do better without it.
  • I'm bargining wiht two dealers about these two cars, which one is better build you guys think? I prefer wagon cause it maybe more space and good for long term. But I can get a better deal on Golf.

Any idea will be appreciated.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    If it makes any difference to you, and it does to some people, the Jetta wagon is still made in Germany for our market, whereas our Golfs come from Brazil. I'm unconvinced this is a big deal, but it is a fact.

I think the Golf, at the right price, is a remarkable value, but resale might be higher down the line with the J/Wagon. If you can swing the difference in price, I'd probably pick the wagon.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,768
    I personally would not want the wagon, but I know the wagon is better built than the Golf. (this is not having anything to do with it being built in Germany) I also think from a "limited" edition point of view the wagon might well have higher resale down the line than the Golf (% wise) . I am a 2003 VW Jetta TDI (4door) 5 speed manual owner. Which ever you decide, all the best!
  • Every thing is ok. I mistakenly did not put the clamp on good enough on the big air flow tube when I changed the air filter thus hindering the air flow hence.. slow acceleration. My mechanic diagnosed it immediately. Bonehead maneuver on my part!!! oh well, I am glad it was not a volkswagon problem. Thanks for your diagnosis Sebring95
  • Thanks, jrct9454 & ruking1. Yes, I prefer the Germany quality, and would try to get a better deal on Jetta Wagon.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    There is absolutely no difference in quality between the Golf and the Jetta Wagon.
    The car sales person who brokered my VW Jetta TDI (non VW sales man ) himself has a VW Jetta Wagon automatic which his wife drives and is tickled to death with it! He mentioned in passing that she gets 38 mpg in her runs in the Napa Valley, CA wine growing area!
  • hvyhvy Posts: 8
    i own a 04 golf (4dr)tdi vehicle has been great. i have close to 8ooo mile on it an get 48-51mph. i believe the golf is a better value as i looked at both
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Last I heard all VWs that didn't come from Germany came from Mexico, not Brazil. Did this change?
    Passat = Emden Germany
    Jetta Wagon = Wolfsburg Germany
    Golf and GTI = Curitaba Brazil
    Jetta Sedan, New Beetle Sedan and Convertible = Puebla Mexico
  • deaner14deaner14 Posts: 40
    With fuel prices fluctuating as much as they do these days I thought some might benefit from this web site. It's a great way to see how you fare between neighboring cities, states or countries. I actually love to watch how the Canadian government changes the rates twice a week.... anyway, enjoy the comparisons.

It's too bad you can't get one that shows diesel.

http://www.texasgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.asp
    www.flyingj.com has a daily updated price list of all their stations. FlyingJ generally has some of the best prices around, so those numbers would likely be on the low end for wherever.
  • temmaytemmay Posts: 1
    Dealers in cinnati Ohio have none. Does any dealer have :?
    I'd be surprised if there are any still available. Two weeks ago my local dealer got their last two that were not pre-ordered by a customer and they were gone almost immediately. You can do a search on www.vw.com for dealers and then search their online inventory. It's not 100% accurate and will show vehicles in stock that are already sold (preordered) but it might get you somewhere.
    I just returned from a week in Prince Edward Island Canada. The Jetta TDI averaged over 56MPG for the trip. I had one tank of fuel that went nearly 900 miles. (This is with approprate fillup using 'burping' lever.) There is no question that the addition of Cetane-improver contributed to this outstanding MPG.

The Jetta had the back seats flipped down and packed full of stuff and 2 adults in the front seats.

Best price for diesel I found during the trip was in Maine at $1.79/Gal (USD).

Whilst in Canada, I only purchased about 6 gallons of diesel ($20 Canadian dollars worth converted from Liters)
    Was the amount of cetane additive included in your mpg calculations? How much do you add to a tank? I add 8 ozs of PS diesel kleen.
    The amount of additive was not included in calculations. Even figuring in the 16oz of additive I used does not change the MPG very much.

Since filling with diesel is not easy to reproduce each time due to foaming, and all diesel I could find in Canada was "full service" where the attendant would have no idea how to use the purge valve, I opted to calculate the MPG over several fuel-stops. This tends to average-out any errors due to different filling-tecneques.
    Just another reminder for VW owners to shop around when buying parts. The VW dealers are so far out of reality with their prices, it's crazy.

I need to change the rear brake pads on my Jetta for the first time (85k miles, fronts are still 50%), and have decided to change the rotors as well. I called two dealers for prices as I thought I would swap them last weekend. Both wanted $275 plus tax (I'm assuming list price??). This is just parts, keep in mind.

I went to www.vwparts.com and purchased the exact same OEM parts for $136 delivered. The only downside is I don't get to stand around in the smelly parts department of my nearest dealer and beg someone to sell me some parts. If VW dealers had a clue, they might actually sell some cars here!
  • oldboyoldboy Posts: 59
    Just came across your post today, so I don't know if you have found a Passat TDI yet. There are still a few around if you look for them. I checked vw.com for dealers in your area, and I found the following:
         Northgate VW, Cincinnatti - GLS TDI sedan, silver;
         Century VW, Loveland - GLS TDI sedan, blue silver;
         White-Allen VW, Dayton - GLS TDI wagon (no color shown).

I suggest you call the dealers to see if these cars are still available.
  • terry1terry1 Posts: 2
    I am new and have been considering a jetta diesel for a while. I love the mpg, comfort and style of the jetta. (reliability is a concern)However, at $23,460 for a loaded jetta and $13,600 for a toyota corolla stick that gets 41 mpg and has excellent reliability, I am torn over the extra $10,000. Is it worth it? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
    If your time and mileage horizon is 8.5 years (average age of the passenger car fleet) and 12-15k per year or 102,000-127,500 miles, the answer is absolutely not! If your time and mileage horizon is 12 years and beyond and beyond 250,000 miles then yes! I plan to run mine past 12 years and 500k -1M miles.
  • I will never compare Jetta with Corolla! Jetta have much better steering and driving feedback, much stronger chassis and body, much better interior design....... Please never compare it with corolla.

I'm same with you, planning to get a 05 Jetta TDI Wagon. Believe me, this is a much better car than corolla! It'll worth the money!
    Economics aside, the VW Jetta TDI is truly an autobahn runner. I probably shouldn't say this but it is a continuing source of amazement to me to run say like 245 miles R/T in 3 hrs and under and still get 45-49 or average of 47 mpg with three persons in the vehicle, AC going full out and the trunk stuffed !! Altitude: zero to 6550 and 6550 to zero!
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    You're really asking the wrong bunch of people. This is bascially a VW TDI fanatic forum so they won't say anything bad about their cars.

What you need to do is drive them both and see if you lean towards one or the other. However, reliability is not in VW's favor at the moment. Both JD Power and Consumer Reports don't offer good news. All European brands have gone downhill in quality in the past couple of years. It's an alarming trend.

Good luck.
    No! I don't think that way at all. While it is a pipe dream of mine to have absolute reliability etc etc in ANY vehicle, let alone a VW, my hope is that at some critical level, VW OEM's are actually using forums like these to really glean what their customers are saying and take appropriate action.

Another for example, I have said quite openly that I would not have gotten a VW Jetta/Beetle/Golf if it were not for the fact a TDI option were offered. I also said I was completely underwhelmed by the engine offerings 2.0 and 1.8T.
    You can speak for yourself, don't include me in your views.
    Asking TDI owners their experiences makes sense. I've owned several TDI including Golf and Jetta. I've had window regulators fail in my first Golf, window trim replaced in my first Golf, radio replaced in my 04 Jetta due to poor AM reception, and a window washer nozzle that required adjustment and that is about it.
    If I had a lot of problems I would report them. TDI is a fantastic vehicle. Downside is that there are some really pathetic VW dealers and the TDI requires more knowledge to properly maintain even if you are not doing the maintenance. It really is important to understand what maint. is required and what parts satisfy those requirements. Otherwise you are likely to overspend on maint. or have a problem due to lack of maint..
  • vzh9p7vzh9p7 Posts: 24
    My 2003 Jetta TDI now has 45,000 miles on it, and it is, without doubt, the highest quality vehicle I've ever owned. And yes, now I'm a fanatic too, whereas before I merely owned cars to get me from point A to B, I now "drive" this car.....