Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• gwd17gwd17 Posts: 13
    Hello, TDI owners, I have just joined your ranks and have a few questions. I previously owned a 2000 1.8T, great car, unfortunately I wrecked and totalled it. After reading so many positives about the TDI engine, I decided what the heck, even though I only have a 5 mile commute to work. Anyhow, since my used TDI did not come with an owner's manual (I'm working on getting one), I have a few quick questions for you guys, I would appreciate your feeback.

1) Fuses - Which fuse slots should be empty? I want to make sure the dealer did not remove any of them because of a problem.

2) Is the antenna a simple screw on/off type?? This one was completely broken off and although I think it is screw on/off, it is hard to tell because of the remaining piece in the hole.

3) Any general advice that I may not think of (I've already been told to use synthetic oil only, and to use a mid-grade diesel fuel), anything else out there?

One last thing, should there be a diesel smell at all in the car? There is a slight smell in mine, don't know if thats just the way it is or if there is something more to it than that.

Thanks much.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    Hi gwd, congrats on the new car! I have no idea about your first two questions, but I can help you with some advice.

You have it right about the synthetic oil, the best stuff for this engine is Mobil Delvac1, but its kind of hard to find sometimes. For the fuel you would do best to look out for Amoco or Hess stations, depending on where you live. Around Mass there are no Amoco stations, so I always use Hess. You can use other brands, but they seem to not run as smoothly. The only time I ever get a diesel smell (I assume you mean exhaust) is when I am backing up with open windows and a cold engine. Even then its a faint smell.

Did you buy the car used? If so I would find out if the timing belt was replaced, and make sure to check the maintenance schedule for you car when you get the manual. It is crucial that it be replaced on time. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me. Good luck!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    1. Can't answer this one

2. Antenna is screw on type

3. Synthetic only, as 5w40 is only found in synthetic form. Delvac 1 is the best stuff out there. You can use the Mobil website to find a commericial distributor.

4. I get a slight smell during cold start ups.

oil changes are 10k
    fuel filter changes are 20k

If you still have your owner's manual from the 1.8T, the maintenance schedule for the TDI should be in there.

Timing belt, for 2002, there's a new belt and idler pulley design which extends the interval to 80k.
  • natescapenatescape Posts: 176
    Use PowerService Diesel Fuel Additive or Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive to get the car to run better on our crappy American diesel fuel. Or, depending on where you live, you might be able to drive your car on biodiesel... the best diesel fuel available in America (and it's made in America from soybean oil, so you keep your fuel dollars in the US instead of sending them abroad... it also burns cleaner).

To learn more about biodiesel, check out http://www.biodieselnow.com (moderators, that link is OK, right? If not, please just remove this paragraph).

Natescape...Burke Oil HQ is on 284 Eastern Ave.

But the pump is 4 traffic lights down from HQ towards Rte 16.
  • gwd17gwd17 Posts: 13
    Thanks much for the answers so far. If someone has some time to kill and would look at their fuse box to see which fuse slots are empty and report back, that would be a huge help.

I'm looking into purchasing an extended warranty, just wanted to see what some of you guys have done. First off, living in Florida, a lot of extended warranty companies don't even do business here, not sure why, but that hurts. One company, Warranty Gold, who I had with my old Jetta, quoted me a price of $1500 for a 3yr/36k mile coverage. This plan covers basically every part on the vehicle (besides routine items such as brakes, etc) and there is a zero deductible. To me, this sounds on the pricey side, but I do have a turbo diesel and it does have 52K miles already on it.

If any of you have one, I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this. Thanks much.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Rumored to be offered in the US market with the 04 sedan redesign. Anyone hear the same?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I read some stuff in the Jetta sedans forum about a new "PD TDI" engine coming to the US for the MKV series that will have as much power at the 1.8T of today, but get something like 40mpg. I can't wait, I will try to be the first one to get the car. :)
    Passat in 2004 with a 2.0 16v TDI engine that produces 136hp/236 lb-feet torque with available 4Motion. I'll take a wagon, please. :)

According to September's Automobile Magazine.
    which all points to the "when is the US going Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)?"

Though the power the the 2.0L TDI motor seems to be awfully similar to the 2.5L V6 TDI motor.
  • I have a TDI New Beetle that is 24 months old with 107,000 miles on it. I am on the road all the time, 95% in the Northeast. This engine is just unbelievable. Northern Maine in January, 30 below zero, car started like it was waiting for me to turn the key. I use Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic oil. Change it every 15,000 miles. I also use a small amount of diesel fuel additive (Power Service)every tank full to remove condensation in the fuel. K&N filter also. Have only changed the belt at 65,000 miles. That's all folks!
    I'm hoping the same from my TDI living in the Pocono Mountains in PA. Though it won't get nearly as cold though
  • jsstoverjsstover Posts: 40
    We just bought a red 2002 Jetta GLS TDi! It is very quiet inside. I am quite impressed with it so far, but there is only 30 miles on it.
  • Hello,

I am considering a Jetti TDI; does Upsolute make a 'performance' chip for these cars?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hello,

I am considering a Jetti TDI; does Upsolute make a 'performance' chip for these cars?

Thanks in advance.
  • rimaryrimary Posts: 1
    Hey Everybody-

I was wondering if you could help me. For the last 1.5 years I've been driving a 2000 Ford Focus. I loved my car. Cheap (both in payment and insurance), great gas mileage, cute look... But the car and I have had to part ways after a friend pinned it under the back end of a delivery truck. Needless to say I am once again in the market for a new car. I have always loved the look of the Jetta and love the idea of getting 45 miles to the gallon form the TDI. But in reading the boards I have noticed a pattern. People either love the car or they hate it. Many of the postings talk of substantial (both in expense and annoyance) problems with everything from rattles to the transmission. Now being a recent college grad, I'd love to purchase a car that will last me for many miles to come. But if it comes down to rent vs. repair bills, I'll pick rent any day. So guess I ultimately have two questions:
    1) To Jetta or not to Jetta?

and

2) 1.8 T or TDI?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had the same choice back in November of 2001. I drove all Jetta forms, with automatic (I can't drive stick), except the VR6 (which uses too much gas for me). I picked the 1.8T, for its brute power. The only thing that bugs me about the car is that when moving in traffic sometimes, the peaky power can get annoying. You have to wait a second for the power, but it is alot.

If you want max mileage, go with the TDI. And diesel engines run forever too. For brute power, pick the 1.T engine.

I have had major rattle problems with my car, been to the dealership over 10 times, with bad customer service experiences at that. I still love the car alot though. If I had to do the same purchase over again though, I would think about it harder, but would probably choose another Jetta.
  • jsstoverjsstover Posts: 40
    I would recommend any jetta to you. I have had both the vr6 and now the tdi. The GLX was nice with its leather and extra goodies, but I have since gotten married and my priorities have changed (namely, have to buy shoes and Longaberger baskets). We were also leasing it. We purchased our new GLS TDI.

We optioned it with the cold weather, sunroof, monsoon, and auto. It is a much more smooth, quiet and comfortable driving car that the GLX VR6 was. If you go with the tdi, make sure diesel is readily available in your area.

Good luck.
    I've had my Golf TDI for 6 months now (fresh from college also)...no problems whatsoever.

My co-worker has his Jetta TDI for 1.5 years, and no problems yet.

Okay there is a rattle at idle, but goes away when you drive it (Motor Trend verified it for me in their Hybrid car test recently).

I drive a 5-speed, and found no problems merging. Driving a manual TDI takes getting some used to.

Get the leather. It's worth every penny over the Velour interior. THe velour is nice, but it is a lint magnet, so maintaining it can be a pain sometimes.
  • m9431m9431 Posts: 38
    My Golf TDi 5-spd has 5k miles and works great... the engine amazes me with excellent power and smoothness. It's quiet, too. Seems that the TDi models have extra sound deadening material, and the engine spins at lower RPMs (approx. 2000 at 60 MPH). No need to reve higher than 3500. I drive a long daily commute and so far am pleased. Handles well (Borbet wheels and RE950 directional tires)... mileage is great; starts up well. No problems in recommending a TDi!
  • djwudjwu Posts: 4
    I read that in the next couple years Chrysler is going to test new diesels in the US. They won't say which model though. Read it from caranddriver.com

dw
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Chipped my TDI Golf automatic with a Wett chip and wow is it great.
    Here at Edmunds, a columnist drove (and loved) a diesel PT Cruiser. Said it was a blast.
    seriously? wow, can you say what the engine specs are? how does it compare to the Jetta TDI?
    The Wall Street Journal reports that diesels are being given a look at in California (oct. 24th, 2002 - front page). I think if diesels are accepted in CA, then the other states will follow too b/c California has strict environmental regulations. The diesels are obviously the clean diesel engines like the VW TDI. We'll see many other companies follow through (ie, news of Mercedes and Chryslers and diesels). It's a really good article; unfortunately, the WSJ article online isn't free. I get the paper.

-dw-
    The guy that's reconsidering diesel is Dr. Alan Lloyd of the California Air Resources Board. He thinks that diesels can play a part in reducing the global warming. It's significant b/c it's a change of perspective towards fighting pollution. CARB is important b/c they affected the EPA policies.

Diesels are the "greener option" b/c they don't give out as much greenhouse gas as gas engines. Diesel isn't as clean, causing more smog. However, a new generation of diesels developed for Europeans will reduce the smog effect within 5 years.

The EPA tested the new version of diesel by Toyota for future sale in Europe. The engine already meets new antismog standards for 2004-2007 in the US. New tests on diesels cars and SUVs are expected. B/c of the growing pressure for more fuel efficient vehicles, diesel is the most tangible alternative. Battery powered isn't feasible enough and fuel cell is 20 years off. An obstacle is the publc perception of diesel.

A European BMW diesel 3-Series goes from 50-75 mph in 7.5 sec, compared to 9.2 sec. gas engine. New technology is being worked on to meet pollution regulations in the US for diesels (soot) such as catalysts and soot trap.
  • I filled my tank in my 2001 Beetle for the first time. I ran it 727.7 miles and filled it with 13 gallons. That is 55.9 mpg! I think I will love my Beetle!

Blessings,
    Ed
  • I am seriously considering a TDI Golf but my one hesitation is cargo room: specifically the ability to carry my mountain bike inside the vehicle. If that isn't feasible then I'd like to hear from any TDI Golf owners out there that have a roof rack and how it affects MPG; wind noise, and the ability to still drive 85 MPH down the interstate on a windy day. Thanks for the help.