Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• smokerrsmokerr Posts: 5
    I have been experiencing the reported smoking problem on a 2005 Passat TDI.

I work on diesel generators and fire pumps, so I have a good working knowledge and experience with the causes.

I was surprised to find that it does not appear to be a leaking turbo charger seal (though it certainly could be on either side of the turbo)

What I have found is they took the crank case breather tube, and ran it into the suction side of the Turbo Charger.

There is NO device to separate the oil out of the vapor, so it gets sucked in (and worse, a high vacuum sucking the fumes out of the engine, not a mild vent like a gasoline engine does, with the PCV to restrict it).
    I have found about ¼ cup in the various nooks and serrations in the turbo charger intake tubing (a lot at the bottom tube into the inter-cooler).

VW claims this is normal. It is only normal if you have a poor design that is going to ensure its going to happe, normal is a total cop out.

There are devices (and I have installed them on my work engines) that separate the oil out of the vapor, and pass on clean air into the suction side of the turbo (you can either drain the canister, or it can be plumbed into the crank case for the oil that separated out.

I would urge anyone who has this problem to file a complaint with not only the dealer, but contact VW and get a case number.

That is the only way this is going to get corrected. It is in no way “normal” for a brand new vehicle, diesel of otherwise, to emit large clouds of smoke under any conditions (see note). We have spent literally hundreds of billions to clean up our air, and this is not acceptable.

Note: If you have poor diesel, that can cause smoke under acceleration, but it should still be fairly mild, not huge clouds, and not ever when backed off the throttle.
  • I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this bizarre problem. I had a passanger in my 2002 VW Golf TDI that was holding a pet crate on his lap and the airbag light went on. I figured that there must be a sensor of some sort that monitors the space in front of the airbag. The problem is that now the light comes on everytime I start my car and doesn't go off. I haven't found anything in my car manual indicating any kind of sensor but I thought I'd try messages boards to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks,
    Annie
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    hi Annie/bigbanana. i don't think there is any such sensor such as that which you surmise. i do believe there is a weight sensor in the seat however. having federally mandated electronics to make a life or death decision is a dicey thing, as we've seen by the hundreds of child & other fatalities directly caused by airbags.

given the symptoms you describe, i think your airbag system has had a failure independent of your passenger with the pet crate. possibly an autozone trouble-code reader could read the error code, but for an airbag failure i think a visit to a vw dealer is well advised, or some other expert vw mechanics! cheers...
  • Hello,
    New to this forum. I am unable to find a useful manual for my 2004 TDI Jetta so I was wondering if one of you could give me some details on performing and oil change for this, essentially where the filter is, etc... for this car. My old Honda manuals were great for this but the VW ones remind me of Microsoft manuals. By the way, we have about 11k miles split evenly between highway and town and average about 44MPG.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    You will find that VW is a refreshing change from a Honda. The Hondas are not designed to be maintined very easilly while VWs are DESIGNED with maintaince in mind. Everything is wtihin easy reach under the hood after the engine-cover is removed.

In fact, the entire oil-change can be done from under the hood without even getting under the vehicle. Many folks with TDIs use an oil-change-sucker to pull the oil from the engine thru the dipstick-tube.

Dont forget that your 2004 TDI requires very special oil. Anything less than the specified oil can ruin the camshaft lobes.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Buy a manual on EBAY. 4 available.
  • My CEL came on after a 1000 mile drive from IL to WY (straight through). The next morning, the glow plug light stayed on for a long time until I finally went ahead and started the car (it started and ran fine all the way back to IL, too). I took the car to my local parts place today and their ODBC scanner indicated a "Glow Plug / Heater" fault. The tech seemed to think it might be the glow plug relay that was bad.

Before I bought a new one, I decided to do some searching and reading here. Seems like this could be a problem with bad glow plugs, relay, wiring connections or possibly heartbreak of psoriasis...

I'm more confused now than before. Anyone have any suggestions on what that fault code really means?

Thanks,

es
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,850
    A reporter is looking for female owners of any of the following diesels:
    VW New Beetle diesel
    VW Golf diesel
    Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
    Please respond with your name and contact info to jhelperin@edmunds.com by Monday, August 22.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hotgolfhotgolf Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2004 Golf TDI. I would like to get the opinion of your members. I love the car but something caused a pin hole in the A/C condenser the other day while driving on US 281, in San Antonio. My thinking is if something very small can cause this problem during normal driving, then there is a design issue.
    I was told I would have to pay for the repair by Rod East VW. I also inquired to VW of America. I was told although rare this has happened before but VW will not help me pay the $854.00 repair bill to replace the condenser. My car is still under warranty.

The Beetles have a protective grill but the Golf does not. Does VW care more about Beetle owners than Golf owners?

I was also told by Rod East, that I could have chosen to install my own custom grill on my new car....ridiculous!

Thank you for any help in resolving this issue. VW of America will not consider covering this under warranty or even to reduce the huge cost.

Please help put me in touch with someone that will get the attention of VW customer service

Thank you
    hey there hotgolf. i wouldn't necessarily assume there is a design flaw here, but i am not familiar with the protective grill on beetles. i had a 2003 jetta TDI - i wonder if that had a protective grille over the AC condensor.

anyway, feces happens, that's what i'm sayin. stuff like this:
    i bought my GTO on a friday at 6pm and it got rearended monday at 9AM.
    my passat TDI got a nasty windshield chip during the first week - just below the primary "line of sight" , and 2 days ago i discovered the outer glass of the right fog light had also gotten smashed. i wouldn't care, since i think fog lights are useless. but it's dangerous - it would cut a kids hand if a kid touched it - so i've gotta get it fixed. and this car has only seen a few months of spring/summer driving. in winter it will be worse - some of the local towns put down really coarse sand on the roads - including lots of little pebbles. anyway, enough about my cars.

you might not know that the situation you describe would be covered by your auto insurance policy in most cases. probably the collision portion of your policy, but who knows, maybe it would go under "comprehensive". not sure. so what sort of deductible do you have - and can you find out what is the likelihood that your rates will get bumped if you file a claim for this? my preference is to have a big deductible and to avoid making 'smaller' claims. i understand that making multiple small claims is a sure way to get the insurance company to raise rates. but for just one small claim i bet they wouldn't raise rates.
  • I have my 05 Passat TDI for 3 months now and have a cracked windshield. I guess a small rock hit just below the driver's side windshield wiper and now I have a fault line which came up and now goes straight across. I have owned many cars in my time and have driven all over the NY tristate area but this has never happened til now.
  • ozgolfozgolf Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first time on this forum so hello to everyone. I have owned a Volkswagen Golf 2001 since February this year. Every so often it has a problem of starting. It doesn't do this all the time but occasionally it takes ages for it to fire up and it blows a lot of smoke when it does kick over. I have taken it back to the mechanics a few times but then murphys law happens and it won't "perform". They have tried replacing the fuel filter and the air filter but to no avail. Does anyone else have or have heard of this problem. :confuse:
  • gilabbgilabb Posts: 1
    The turbocharger in my 2005 1.9 TDI Golf failed at 5000 miles. I bought the car for a 75 mi. one way commute. Really love it but am worried about reliability. Planning on 250k miles in 5 yrs. Anyone else have early turbo failure?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Most of the turbo problems I've seen have been mis-diagnosis by a clueless dealer. A bad sensor can cause the turbo to seem like it's bad. I suppose if there was a manufacturing problem one could fail at such low mileage. Real turbo problems are pretty rare on these. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Good news -- VW won't cover it (road hazard) but your insurer will. Physical damage to your car caused by flying objects (such as a stone kicked up by another vehicle) is covered under your "other than collision" physical damage coverage. You will have to eat your deductible, but otherwise you can get this covered.

Same thing happened to my '91 Acura Legend just this spring. Not only did I need some new parts from the damage, the whole unit had to be reconditioned to use the new refrigerant. Insurance paid the whole thing.

If you are at fault in a liability or collision claim, it can raise your rates. But this is different. Check with your agent, many insurers do not surcharge for OTC claims.

Cracked windshields are likewise covered as OTC. Many insurers will also cover your deductible if you agree to have the W/S repaired instead of replaced.

:)
  • cttdicttdi Posts: 2
    Hi everyone -- I'm new to the forum ... purchased a 2005 Golf TDI in May and it's been great with the exception of belching blue smoke when I accelerate to pass someone or when trying to maintain speed up a decent grade. I had it into the dealer at 1,100mi and of course they couldn't make it do it :( and it goes in again next week for round #2, currently has 4,200mi.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this ?? :confuse:
    I assume that you have tried several different fuel sources and are using diesel fuel additive at each fillup. Before assuming the car has a problem, look to bad fuel as the problem.

Could be several things. It REALLY neeeds to be hooked to a laptop and drive it while monitoring it.

I suspect your IQ (Injection Quality) may be set incorrecttly... but on a new engine that is not even broken in yet.... it may be sensor such as MAF or engine temp. Perhaps even the fuel injection timing is incorrect.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    Do all VW dealerships have the computer software for testing the TDI? I agree that the fuel would be my first guess. I have not gotten any smoke with the BP ULSD sold in CA. No smell from the exhaust at all.
  • cttdicttdi Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses -- I'm new to TDI technology so I've got a learning curve here.

I've tried 3 different fuel sources (that's all I have available) -- all smoke. Oh, and I should have mentioned it smells even at idle.

Supposedly they checked all the sensors etc on round #1!

You're comment about engine temp is interesting as I notice that the smoking tendency is worse after ~ 1 hr of running. Last weekend, I met my brother, after having run ~ an hr and even at idle we could blip the throttle and get it to smoke :(

Any chance this is related to the exhaust gas recirculating process ?
    as far as i know, smoke when you blip or stand on the accelerator is normal with typical USA fuel. if drive to california and try their diesel fuel and the result will be lway ess smoke or none visible at all. i verified this last month...
    if it wasn't for the ability to lay down a smoke cloud, i'd have no defense against tailgators!
    my 2003 tdi jetta smoked way more than my 2005 tdi passat. different technology, but the passat will smoke if i run it easy for a while and then stand on it.
    As an opposing view... my 2003 TDI has NEVER-EVER had black smoke from the exhaust. I do get some WHITE smke immedeatly after starting in below -10F tempertures.

Do not forget that the 2005 TDI is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE than the 2003. The "pumpe duse" engine has seperate injector pumps for each cylinder which are driven from lobes on the camshaft.

In any case, the problem described is ABSOLUTEY somthing wrong with the engine. The "pumpe duse" engine is supposed to be CLEANER than the previous engine.
    eh, maybe i am not understanding the problem being described. but from what i've read, there is no problem. if you think your TDI is not smoking, you aren't looking hard enough.

try standing on the accel when someone is gatoring you at night, especially after cruising for a while - you WILL see quite the smoke cloud in their headlights as you dust them. unless maybe you are burning california semi-low-sulfur diesel. and the PD/2005 in my passat is definitely cleaner than the 2003 TDIs, noticeably less smoke. but still some.
  • It's true that dealerships often misdiagnose a failed turbo when in fact the problem is actually something very minor.

But I have heard of a few turbos actually failing early in the warranty period. If you're going to have a turbo failure, that's the best time for it to happen.

For a healthy turbo over the long run, here are a few suggestions:
    1) Don't lug the engine. Don't try to accelerate quickly from below 2000 rpm if you're in 3rd gear or above.
    2) On those long uphill climbs, just because you CAN accelerate past slow-moving gassers in top gear, doesn't mean you should. Sometimes near the crest of a high mountain pass, the grade suddenly gets a lot steeper; that's a very good time to downshift.
    3) Exercise your turbo regularly. Freeway on-ramps are a good place to wind it out to 3500-4000 rpm or even higher. Cruising at the legal speed limit is good for fuel economy, but you shouldn't baby your engine all the time. The turbo vanes need to regularly move throughout their entire range, or they can accumulate a coating of crud that will prevent them from moving throughout their entire range. And the VNT actuator, a small and very cheap part that CANNOT be ordered separately, can start to stick if you don't exercise the turbo enough. If the actuator fails, you have to replace then entire turbo.

Treat your turbo properly and it should last 100k-200k miles or more. BUT... knowing what can cause a turbo to fail, I think I could probably cause one to fail intentionally in just a few hundred miles.
  • The next time it happens, you might try jiggling the anti-shudder valve. (Right behind the EGR valve) This valve closes when you shut off the engine, so that it quits smoothly, but is supposed to open up again right away. If it's sticking, then your engine won't get any air.

This is often the cause when a warm TDI engine won't restart. But I suppose it can happen to a cold engine, too.
  • goldenrgoldenr Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 124,000 km's on it. Within the last 2 months it is not firing upon start up. Sometimes I have to try 3 times before it fires up. It also seems to be revving by itself when sitting in idle, belching black smoke at the same time. I can also feel the car jerking when driving on the highway, like something isn't getting enough gas. It has stalled a couple of times when I'm backing up and it's revving. It was recently decarbonned and no testing at the garage can determine what is wrong - possibly the EGR valve they claim. Any ideas of what the problem could be?
  • Was there any resolution to your stall problem? I have the same issue - car stalls intermittently, generally 5-10 miles after startup. After the car stalls (all electricity is OK) - and I let the car sit for 30 seconds to one minute - it will restart. The problem doesn't recur during that driving session.

Can you provide any additional feedback on your issue?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    That could be a "relay 109" issue. These were problematic through about 2001 model TDI's and if yours hasn't been updated to the newer relay, it can cause erratic stalling. I'm not as familiar with the beetles, so I can't really tell you where to look. But somewhere under the steering column is a block of relays, one of which is about 1" square and says "109". or "601" if it's upsidedown ;)

This part was updated in 2000-2001 and I believe you can tell which is which by the color. The new ones should be gray in color. If yours is black, it's very likely the problem and worth swapping out as they're cheap. Buy one here World Impex or at the dealer.
  • Looking for a 99 or newer Golf TDI 5speed, does anyone have one within 350 miles of Milwaukee, Wisconsin? Seems as if the dealers bought them all up and hid them.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Since the forums cannot be used to buy or sell items, you're not really going to get much of a response to your request. You might try visiting the Edmunds Used Vehicles pages here.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    I just talked to the Internet sales where I bought my Passat TDI in April. We want a Beetle TDI. She has a wait list on all models of TDI. She asked if I wanted to sell my Passat. She said I would have no trouble making 2-3 grand over the price I paid in April. I don't think they are hiding them. The market has changed and VW has not caught up with the demand here in the USA.