Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• I bought My first new car. 05 Jetta GLS TDI last Jan. And I lucked out. I went to the dealership one day after new years eve. The dealership could not get hold of My payoff info due to everyone being closed. So the dealership assumed that they would ask me also what my credit score was. And not to run My credit untill the next day. I lucked out. I was offered 5.7% and I signed my contract and left with My new VW. Whell. The next day. VW ran My credit and they told Me I had to come in to sign an new contract for 12.9%!!!! HA,HA I said to late. I signed an legal contract. And to eat the cost. The car salesman laughed at me and said because I had old bad credit with my fair credit score. He did not run My credit because the dealership can usually predit what percent is offered. Also. They did not run my credit because it was an busy day and they did not want me to leave!!!!
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Sounds like a bad MAF.
  • I am looking for a mechanic in the Katy / Houston Area to maintain my 2000 Jetta TDI. I have been using the local dealer with OK results, but I would like to find someone that will take the time and effort to maintain my vehicle for the long-term. Of course I am also looking for someone who will perform the services at a reasonable price. Please let me have your ideas!!
  • Does anyone have any information on which oil (Castrol 5-40 VW 505.01 or the Motul 5-40 Which also meets VW Specs.) would be the best for longevity in the 05 Jetta Diesel. I can get the Castrol at a dealer in Tampa for $6.25 a quart wheras it is $11.75 a quart here in Lakeland at our dealership and the Motul is $5.75 a quart mail order which with shipping makes them about the same price

Thanks
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    I just bought a Passat Wagon GLS TDI from a dealer in Portland Oregon. My wife liked the Passat better than the Jetta. She bought it for my birthday today. we pick it up in about a week for a little vacation shake down trip. They sold it to us under invoice which was where I wanted to be. Leather with wood and 17" wheels. I'm excited to test it out.
  • wrightg4wrightg4 Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a Passat TDI and am looking for a source for 505.01 spec oil at a reasonable price. Where in the Tampa Bay area do you find it, and what is the mail order source you have used?
  • This is one link to the Motul motor oil http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/ltbmotorsport/mooemspoi.html
    http://www.dieselgeek.com/golf_iv_main.htm
    Also the dealership I found the Castrol at is the Brand new VW dealership in Brandon Florida so far I like them better than the Lakeland dealership
    http://www.dieselgeek.com/a4steelplate.php

I hope this is what you need
    If I run BP ECD-1 in my new 2005 Passat would you recommend any additives for the fuel? That is supposed to be less than 15 PPM sulfur.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    FWIW, I don't run additives when I'm running the BP Supreme. I don't know the specifics of the ECD-1, but it's probably a similar or better premium fuel. I keep a bottle of white Power Service (wally world, $4.44) in the trunk for when I'm buying unknown fuel.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I am not familer with BP ECD-1. What is the cetane rating of it?
    BP ECD-1 is ULSD with less than 15 PPM Sulfur. According to BP it has a cetane rating of 54 in the West Coast blend. East of the Rockies it is only 45 Cetane rating. That product is called ECD and it has a slightly higher sulfur content.

http://www.ecdiesel.com/about/product.asp
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,700
    Yeah, I was going to say it was the precurser of the new 2006 standard fuel.
  • I was wondering how you made out with the MAF diagnosis. What did it cost to get fixed?

My Golf TDI started acting up yesterday (just passes 88,000 miles), first warmer day of the year. Problem seems very similar to yours in that the car does not want to accelerate. Engine runs smooth, but as I was going 85 mph it did not want to quickly accelerate to pass. Later on I noticed it was hard to get it up to speed on some mountains. Just seems like it doesn't have the power past 2000 RPM's. Engine is not running hot either.

Thanks.
    Sure sounds like a MAF, or a clogged intake. But if you keep you've kept your foot into it all along, that's not as likely. You could disconnect the MAF and see if it feels better, although it sounds more like yours isn't real bad. You can pickup a MAF most anywhere these days for cheap, and it only takes a few minutes to swap. I believe the VW extended warranty on those was only good through 70k miles.
  • Hey everyone.
    Got my 2004 Jetta TDI in June and love everything about but one thing, and it's a BIG thing. Black greasy soot all over the garage floor. I mean lots of it too. VW Service says it's normal but other owners I've talked to have no problems at all. They were surpised as a matter of fact.

What do you all have to say? Is this normal or do I have a major problem both with the car and my dealership? Thanks
    I assume the soot is accumulating under your exhaust? If not, where?

Have you tried switching fuels? You might be getting some extra greasy stuff. I get a small puff of smoke on a cold start if I'm running trusted #2 diesel. Doesn't leave any soot in the garage though. If i run premium diesel, it never smokes.

Can you get this to smoke if you're hard on the throttle? I would think if it's bad enough to leave soot on the garage floor you'd see some smoke in your rear-view.
  • Thanks for the quick answer back. Yes, it's under the exhaust and yes, there's smoke when hard on it, but I thought that was more or less normal. I've switched brands of fuel but can only find one grade around here. But as far as you know the soot is not normal, correct?
    Well, it may be normal for your fuel. I've gotten some poor quality fuel before that left a noticeable smoke screen behind me when I get on the throttle hard. Those fuels also provide less power and economy in my experience. I guess if there are other owners burning the same fuel in your area and they don't have the soot problem, it might be something with your car.

A lot of areas only get one type of diesel and it all comes from the same refinery. That means all the diesel is bad. I luckily live between several major refinerys and have a lot of different fuels to pick from . Ashland diesel is horrible, and leaves a smoke screen. BP #2 is quite good and just leaves a small puff on cold start-up. BP diesel supreme never smokes and doesn't even have the odor in the garage like the other fuels. The general truck-stops around here carry a generic #2 that isn't bad, it smokes a little more than BP #2.

It's possible your injection quantity is off which could cause more smoke. Or even the timing. Any cold-start problems or hesitation?
  • No, I'm in Florida so no cold start problems, no other problems at all. I have the VW regional sevice rep coming to look at it tomorrow and I don't know that much about diesels and don't want him telling me it's nomal when it's not, like the service manager has. The fuel around here is all basic #2 fuel but everyone else I've talk to uses the same as I do.

Thanks again for your help