Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models

Comments

• chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    Look a few posts up, we just had a discussion on that. It should be fine unless you use really bad fuel anyways.
  • I'm looking for a new car and drive my cars to the end. Have 2 Nissans ('93 Altima/ 140K, '95 Pathfinder/ 105K). Very very few problems. At the dealer maybe 3x total for each in their life for common breakdown issues (alternator, distributor, etc.) This in the shop at 25K miles (and less) for ANY problems sounds ludicrous.

Reading some of the posts on the TDI make me think this is not the most reliable car around... The high fuel mileage appeals to me, but not at the cost of added time in the shop with expensive repairs.

If I buy a car based on reliability and cost of maintenance, should I stay away from the TDI?

I live in S. Florida and would get the automatic. Expect to drive abt 15K/ year.

Thoughts from the gallery... Thanks!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    (noles21) This is (after all) the TDI forum. most folks that purchase the TDI fully understand that VW is not the most reliable (boring) vehicle on the road but they have other priorities.

To me, the Jetta TDI is not only a step above most similarly-priced vehicles in terms of ride, handling and overall quality feel. It gets nearly 50 MPG.

There are also many folks that appreciate the German-road car feel that you can only get in a German-designed automobile.

My wife and I considered, drove and eliminated a lot of other vehicles before we found the Jetta.

I used to have a Nissan too... it was perhaps the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. But it was bare-bones, no frills, jiggly-ride, noisy (engine and ropadnoise). It rusted out so bad it would not pass state inspection any more. It ended up on beating around the farm for another year or so... as far as I am aware- it is STILL running. (but looks like #@$%)

For me, Corrosion-resistance is the MOST IMPORTANT detail I look for in a vehicle. The Jetta has a 12-Year, UNLIMITED millage corrosion warantee. There is NO OTHER vehicle in this price range that offers anything close.
    (The Saturn is a plastic car so it does not rust... but the engines are KNOWN to use oil 8-(
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    A VW is a completely different driving vehicle than the japaense brands. I have owned/do own Toyotas and while reliability was their biggest asset, they were boring appliance transport. If you really don't like driving and it's just something you have to do, then go for the relability. Actually my last two Toyotas haven't been as reliable as my TDI has been at this point. Only driving 15K miles per year though, you'd be hard-pressed to really get the benefits out of the diesel. They are better suited for highway/long trips. Some of the very small economy cars would probably return similar mpg with a lot of short trips. A hybird civic or prius is probably even better for such little driving.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I sometimes wish I had bought a TDI instead of the 1.8T that I have (02). I couldn't sacrifice that power though, because I drove both the same day I bought my 1.8T. But 50mpg would be sweet on my ~70 mile a day commute though. TDIs are fun to drive, but I like the 1.8T better for brute power. :)
    I'd bet for a simple $400 mod the TDI could feel very similar to your 1.8T for highway driving/high speed acceleration. I did a high-speed jog a few weeks ago running along with a Benz E-420. I could accelerate up-hills from 65-90mph without downshifting and stay right with him. That was only 150 miles out of the 600 miles I put on that tank, but I still averaged 44mpg. 150 mile trip in 1.75 hours, do the math. The TDI will run faster than I want to take this car without some suspension/tire mods.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    ( sebring95 ) UPSOLUTEly!!
    I know NOW about all the chips and stuff available. I have never driven a chipped TDI though, I will have to try one. Next time, I will definitely have to check out a TDI when I trade the 1.8T, which won't be for awhile though.

By then, hopefully, there will be the PD TDI models here with even more power. :)
  • hloadhload Posts: 27
    Hi all,
    I'm a new owner of a TDI Wagon and was wondering how many of you out there with a 02 or 03 have purchased a extended warranty?

If you did - how much and where?

thanks
    When test driving a TDI, many times I don't think you easily get the feel for how quick these cars are. The reason being that you don't drive a diesel the same as a gas vehicle. Planting your foot on the floor and redlining is not very effective with a diesel, but that seems to be how many people (and magazines) test them. Once you learn the sweet spots and shift points you really start appreciating the power.

It's very hilly where I drive and have found this car to be one of the strongest (and bar-none the most powerful 4cyl) for pulling hills. I can pull hills without downshifting, and in many cases maintain speed on hills where even larger displacement gas engines slow down.

I just wanted to throw that out for anyone considering a diesel. My guess is that if the VW dealers had salespersons that really understood how diesels work, more people concerned about performance wouldn't be turned off. Jumping into a TDI and driving it the same as a 1.8T will quickly discourage someone.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Though when you look at the numbers the 2.0 has better 0-60 times. The 0-60 time for the Tdi is 12.6 and the 2.0 is a little quicker.
    You're probably right as flat-out acceleration from a stop is not it's forte. I typically don't drag race all day long though:) It won't keep up with my 4.0L Cherokee (around 8 secs) from a dead stop but in general driving it feels very good. It has much better passing power (at most any speed) than the cherokee.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    That makes sense!!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    the natural way to shift gears is close to redline.

But for the TDI, going past 4000 rpm is a waste of time (not much power after 4000 rpm). YOu're better off short-shifting and let the torque do its job.
  • natescapenatescape Posts: 176
    I equate the TDI's power to drivability. It pulls effortlessly and moves quite quickly. It just doesn't have that "top end" for drag-racing. But in ordinary traffic, I nearly always unintentionally pull ahead of other traffic from a light because I just have more useable power and down-low grunt. :)

Having driven a diesel, I'll never buy another gasonline car.
    And that's what I did too. Floored it from a stop. It felt dead to me, but the 1.8T didn't. That's why I picked that one.

I am one who LOVES all-out power though, so I am very happy with the 1.8T.. :)
    nate is also chipped
    I know. :)

I will be soon as well :)
    I am looking at a tuning box. :-D
    Check out speedtuningusa.com for tuning boxes. I was at a GTG in MD and they were selling them left and right there.
  • I bought my TDI sedan about eight months ago and I am only averaging in the neighborhood of 35mpg. I have a stick, does anyone have any suggestions, when it was at the dealer for a different repair I had them look into it, but they were as helpful as a headache!
    Are you driving mostly in the city?
  • I drive about 40-50 miles a day and about 10 is city driving. Now I do my fair share of rush hour driving so I would expect the low 40's, but for instance, this tank my gas light just came on and I have about 385 miles on the tank and filled it last time out.
    I have no idea what could make that so low, my all time low is 41 mpg, and that was with winterized fuel, subzero temps, and a loaded ski rack on the roof. Where are you located? Winter fuel will make somewhat of a decrease, but certainly not that much. Try bringing it to a different dealer, it might be the timing.
    If this was bought brand new, it's possible it just needs some more break-in before you'll start getting better gas mileage. Some seem to get lower mpg at first, sometimes needing upto 10K miles to really start gettin terrific mpg. Others do great out of the box. With the winter fuel and such 35mpg could be "normal" until it breaks-in.
  • hloadhload Posts: 27
    first tank 44 mpg, second 40
  • rdmatosrdmatos Posts: 11
    Hello everyone, I am about to purchase my first new car and I am seriously considering a Jetta TDI, however I do have a few questions for you Jetta TDI owners. First of all, does the Jetta TDI have a loud engine like other diesel cars that I have been in? Is the TDI more expensive to operate than a normal gas engine and is diesel gas easy to come by in your areas? and lastly what are the things you like and dislike about your Jetta TDI. Any feedback back would be wonderful. Take care and drive safely, RDM.
  • First of all, thank you everyone for your responses. My car has 10,250 miles now and it was bought new. I am going to take it to a different shop, but the mileage is getting worse right now. I live in Baltimore, MD.
    Noise: at idle it has a bit of a chatter to it, although I've noticed if you get good fuel it can be very quiet. General driving it's fairly quiet and doesn't have the diesel sound many trucks have. You never get that wound-up buzz box sound many small 4cyl have which is a plus for me. I can't stand the average gas 4cyl but the diesel actually sounds like it has some power. On the highway it's quieter than many gas 4cyl's and has a much lower (less annoying) tone IMHO. From 70mph up to 100mph it doesn't get overly loud at all. Not V8 quiet but very good for something burning 40-50mph.

A TDI will be cheaper to operate than any gas Jetta. There are some very high mpg gas gars out there though which might be similar in overall cost. However they don't drive or feel anywhere near as substantial as a Jetta. The Jetta is about the only small car I've driven that feels very nice. A corolla or civic for instance feels very cheap and floppy to me. A lot of the cost depends on fuel prices. In my area diesel and gas are very similar in price, other areas pay a premium for diesel, some less. If gas prices skyrocket, typically diesel doesn't increase at the same rate. Gas jumped $.15/gallon a week or so ago and diesel jumped $.05 so diesel was cheaper for awhile. Now they're about the same.

Diesel is everywhere in my area. About half the stations carry it plus I'm near an interstate with truck stops everywhere.

I like driving the Jetta it feels very nice and solid. Has some nice features similar sized cars don't have. With the TDI it can typically get in the 40-50mpg range plus go 600-700 miles on a tank.

What I don't like? Well I've not had any problems with mine but some folks report some "quirky" problems. Many folks recommend running additives in the fuel (especially in the winter) which is somewhat of a pain but then again I only fill-up at 650 mile intervals. Diesel smells a bit and can stick with you if you spill it on you. A pair of gloves in the trunk takes care of that. None of these really bother me but those are the issues I've heard others complain about. I've had a diesel pickup for many years so I'm a bit more experienced with this, but many car owners don't know anything about it. I'm at 60K miles on my '00 and no complaints really. Changed the timing belt, replaced a sensor, oil every 10K miles, new set of tires, a couple power window motors (big problem that they have now fixed and extended the warranty on previous models) and still have the factory brake-pads. Probably not as reliable as a Toyota but I've owned several toyotas and this car has tremedously more character. Worth the few "issues" in my book.