Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Hatchback

Comments

• dayokayodedayokayode Posts: 31
    I agree that the hatchback is the fairest of them all; it just looks great in yellow.

I've not seen anything on pricing; to be competitive, however, it ought to start around 18k.
  • tdp05tdp05 Posts: 16
    It'll be competing with the Accord, Altima, Camry class, I'm guessing?

I don't like yellow cars that much, but the hatch looks beautiful with the yellow and the dark tint. The blue isn't so bad either.

You think the hatch will be significantly more than the 4 door?
  • kenokakenoka Posts: 218
    Pricing is expected to stay in the neighborhood of the 626 (18-22000). I would expect a small increase in pricing, but I'm sure the boys in Hiroshima know that they have to price themselves below the Camry and Accord to be competitive at this point. I haven't heard any pricing difference between the sedan and the hatchback. Maybe it'll be like the WRX, where the wagon is $500 LESS than the sedan. I won't hold my breath though. Most likely a $500-1000 premium.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    The Japanese market prices are posted. Convert from Yen to USD and add a bit for transportation and customs. I think they all start at about $18,000US. Strangely enough, the wagon and hatch both end lower than the sedan. It must have a longer options list.
  • kenokakenoka Posts: 218
    As great as it would be to get Japanese market pricing, it doesn't happen very often. Cars are often significantly cheaper in the Japanese market versus over here. Much of it has to do with the ultra-restrictive taxing structure for cars over there which makes it more economical to buy a new car every three or four years than to license an older car. The automakers also often hedge pricing for Yen to Dollar fluctuations.
    That being said, it looks like the Sport and Wagon versions are at about a $2000 premium in Japan. This probably (and hopefully) represent the premium in the US because wagons and hatchbacks are much more popular in Japan.

From the Mazda Japan website:
    Sedan w/2.3l: 2,100,000 Yen = 16,894.91 USD
    Sport w/2.3l: 2,300,000 Yen = 18,503.83 USD
    Sport wagon is priced same as Sport. Pricing as of today's exchange rate.

So if they fudge a little, a mild price increase over the 626 is very reasonable.
  • doolin98doolin98 Posts: 2
    All I hear from these auto companies is that Americans won't buy a mid-size four door hatch. Just because some of the hatches of the 80s leaked and looked different from sedans, does not mean Americans will only buy sedans. It means we want cool looking hatches that don't leak. The hottest selling cars in the compact segment currently have a wagon/hatch look (ie. Toyota Matrix, Protege5, and WRX). I think Mazda would find a sedan looking vehicle with a hatch will sell well considering it has no competition in its class.
  • bpibpi Posts: 120
    If it's defined by the inventory in number of days, then yes. I doubt they're hot-selling based on absolute numbers. Also, looking like a wagon/hatchback is not what sells the Matrix. Probably looking like an SUV has more to do with it.

Do Americans want a mid-size vehicle with a V-6 and a manual transmission? I do. Most Americans don't.
    The wagon too.

My wife'll be looking soon. Definitely looking for a wagon or 5-dr hatch since she needs to haul around her cello.

And my next car (not truck, SUV or minivan) will be a 5-dr hatch or wagon. Got my sights on the P5, unless the 6 hatch or wagon better fits my needs and desires.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I don't see what the big deal is about Americans and hatchbacks. It seems that here, most people associate hatchbacks with bargain basement economy cars. They are so versatile though, and easy to load alot of stuff into. They also are (in some cases, but only a little) smaller than their sedan counterparts.

Also, they have rear wipers, which improves vision out the back alot in inclement weather to boot.
    Although they did cave in to "mainstream" market demands in the US and came out with the sedan version of their new 9-X first, with their traditional hatchback format to follow. Of course, they're using the Epsilon platform from GM for it.

I just wish Mazda would offer the hatch and wagon alongside the sedan. There will likely be more competitors in these body styles by the time Dec 2003 rolls around.

I always wanted a hatch or wagon, but never found one I liked or had enough side doors (sorry, no 3-door hatches for me). Well, at least before the P5 finally came over here, but I already had my Pro sedan by then (it's only 3.5 years old...can't justify replacing it yet, not if I want to keep things okey-dokey at home). My wife is looking around to replace her Saturn sedan soon and would like something with a little more cargo space than the P5 with its reliability and usability. I think the 6 hatch or wagon would fit the bill nicely, but who knows when her Saturn will finally keel over?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    The silly thing is that a hatch can be built to look exactly like a sedan. Just move the hinge from below the rear window to above the rear window and you have a hatch. I don't understand why anybody would buy a sedan over a hatch especially if they look the same.
  • The hatch is already on sale in England according to some English car magazine I thumbed through.
    Mazda website now has a "contact us" by email.... so y'all email them and tell them to hurry up and while they're at it, retain the folding mirrors and repeat signals for the US market!
    That's key, especially for my wife, who has knocked off the side mirror on her Saturn with the side of the garage door opening.

I sometimes use mine when I park too close to the metal support column in my garage instead of moving the car. It was one factor in my buying a Protege.
  • But since they're not required here... most car companies save a few bucks by putting fixed mirrors on their domestic issue versions. Hopefully Mazda will be the better man and put the convenient folding mirrors on them for us. Toyota puts fixed mirrors even on their $30,000 cars. Fixed mirrors are an attractive nuisance because they get in your way in the garage, pedestrians have been injured by them from passing cars, they get knocked off on narrow streets, etc., etc.

A Saturn had it's mirror broken off.?..
    Gee...What a suprise! My Saturn mirror was broken off easily too...piece of dreck. I even emailed Saturn about it. They are only interested in saving money.
    Last week on Route 1 in NJ I saw two cars almost collide. They both tried to change lanes into the center lane at the same time. The car at fault was a Saturn. The FOOL was driving with no driver's side mirror...it was broken off. While the guy is foolish... I can understand that someone had probably bumped into his mirror and easily broke it off.

I see many Saturns and Focus' by the way with mirrors broken off. My next car will have foldaway mirrors!
  • voochvooch Posts: 92
    It wouldn't make any difference to me upon buying the car whether it has folding mirrors or not, although I would prefer folding. I've only had 1 car with folding mirrors and as of yet, it doesn't make a bit of difference. I would hope you wouldn't rule out any car just because of folding mirrors. Of course its a bonus though. =)

If you are driving all the time with a 4 inch tolerance between your car and other objects, you need be worried about more than just folding mirrors! You may want to drive a tank.
  • jfgoingjfgoing Posts: 13
    Let me tell you a story of well made side mirrors. Some time in the late 80's when I was driving an '87 Camry, I snugged up the passenger side of the car to a pole in the parking garage at work so I could fit into a tight spot. I had a long hard day and when time came to leave I reversed the car out of the spot way too fast – I heard the “Bang!” of the mirror slamming into the pole just as I remembered about being too close.

I figured the mirror was history. There were about five pieces of plastic lying on the floor, and the mirror bit had landed face down on the concrete. Being an engineer, I gathered up the bits to see how the thing had been made. To my great surprise the mirror surface was barely scratched and each of the plastic pieces was still intact – I could just fit the assembly back together and replace it on the car. Even the mirror adjustment mechanism had survived (although it was a bit looser now).

Impressed the heck out of me. I never knocked it off again and it survived for many more years. So count me as a vote for high quality folding (and more :-) mirrors.
    Making it more likely to knock off mirrors. Developers getting cheaper. My 18 year-old house has a much bigger garage than ones being built today.

Besides, it's worth paying a little more up front than to face a couple-hundred dollar repair later.

Another pet peeve: glued-on rear-view mirrors v. bolted-on mirrors. You figure there's a reason those glue kits for rear-view mirrors are sold in the auto parts stores. I hear about these things falling off all the time. It would irritate me if mine fell off one day (one of the few things I don't like about my Protege sedan).
  • jskhojskho Posts: 107
    was considered by some as a safety feature because it snaps off easily so it won't hurt occupants in a crash.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They have to be glued on so they are break-away when the airbags deploy. All new cars are that way.
    Check out the Camry and Accord.

And the mirror support arm can be designed to break-away when impacted but still be a more robust attachment method than glue (just like the airbag covers are designed to tear in a certain way to give easily when needed w/o tearing the bag and feeling robust), especially in temperature extremes.