Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Hatchback

Comments

• Actually, the sedan will hold a bicycle -- that was a requirement for me, since I do a lot of cycling. With the seats folded down, the sedan will hold my bicycle without having to take the wheel off - a very impressive feat. The Sonata, which has a bigger trunk than the 6, can't hold my bicycle. Credit Mazda for having a large pass-through when the seats are folded down. :D
  • Well that settles it. If I had it to do again I would have 2 Sedans vice 1 Sedan and 1 Hatch. One other advantage of the Sedan is more headroom in the back seat.

SO..if you must carry tall items..go with the hatch. For all other cargo (bicycles included) the Sedan would be my recommendation.
  • I have a Mz6 6cyl sedan. I have driven colleagues in the car. Strangely, both drove Passats. My father drives a 4 cyl accord. I test dorve a 4 cyl Camry and Accord. My 6 cylinder 6 is quieter than any of those cars. The Camry allowed in very little road noise. This was a problem however because the 4 cyl sounded like it was sitting in the passenger seat. There is no "noise" problem with the Mazda 6. One passat owner said, I can't believe how smooth and quiet this car is! How much did you pay for this? I want one!
  • Rickypaul...what year model is your 6?
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Posts: 121
    My '06 6i 5-dr. did a commendable job ferrying us from southeastern NY to southern IL and back. No fuss, no muss. 1,700 mi round trip. It's a little loud because of the low gearing, but that's my only thumbs-down issue. Other than that it performed like a champ.
  • As previously posted, I currently own an 03 6s sedan MTX and an 04 6s 5 door MTX. Today I test drove an 07 6s 5 door with the 6 speed auto. It was quieter than my 04, Mazda must have added insulation since 04. Also I was amazed at how much lower RPM the engine was turning at 60 MPH compared to my MTX (2500 rpm for the auto vice 3000 rpm for the MTX. That translates to a quieter ride on the highway. I wonder whether there is really a gas mileage benefit, as the rating is 27 hwy for both the Auto and the MTX. Maybe the engine is loaded too much with the taller gearing? Any auto 6 speed owners getting 30+ MPG on the hwy?
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Has anyone heard if the Hatchback will be offered in the U.S. for the '08 redesign?

It seems the 6i Grand Touring is currently one of a few (the new GTI 5 door included) 5 door models with high levels of equipment, versatility, fun, and value packaged into an efficient high-mileage car and sold in the U.S. these days.
  • zzzooomzzzooom Posts: 17
    A few days after test driving the 6s Auto (6 speed) I test drove a 6i Grand Touring with the 5 sp manual (MTX). I was amazed. The 4 cylinder was better than I expected. It pulled well. The only real difference I could tell is that it ran out of power about 70MPH, where my 6s MTX really begins to zoom at that speed. The rpm for the 4 cyl is about 500 RPM higher than the 6 cyl at any speed, so that probably accounts for "non-honda" type 4 cylinder mileage. But for other than high speed highway driving, the 4 cylinder was as fun as the 6 cylinder. Also, the leather is better than my 04, and I like the redesign of the front of the car. Also, as la4mead pointed out, you can get a mazda at any trim level with the 4, where with Honda, you must get the V6 models to get higher trim levels) Mazda isn't nickel and dimeing us. The 07 models have improved on the nit-picks of the early models (03 and 04) and this Mazda 6 is the best kept secret in the US car market. On a side note, I drove a rental Fusion V6 auto last week on a trip to DC. WHO SAYS THAT CAR DRIVES LIKE A 6?. It is a boat compared to my 6s. No comparison between the two in driving fun.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I have test driven the 4 cylinder very aggressively around corners and curves and it never seems to lose it. Is there a significant difference in handling with the V6?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I believe the redesign has been pushed out to 2009MY and will not include the hatch or wagon.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    This is sad news, but thanks. The only mid-size hatch/wagon on the market - and they can't market it well. :confuse:
    All they can do is complain about US 'not understanding' the wagon/hatch. Ford just axed the new Focus hatch and wagon as well. :cry:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Really?

Do you have a source for this info?
    I totally agree with you. I'm a big fan of sport wagons as they are useful and handle reasonably well. However, when you look at the marketing expense to change consumer awareness and opinion, it's just not justified. Maybe Toyota will set aside $50mil for this someday and bring back the wagons and hatchbacks.
  • Actually, the sedan will hold a bicycle -- that was a requirement for me, since I do a lot of cycling. With the seats folded down, the sedan will hold my bicycle without having to take the wheel off - a very impressive feat.

I've been thinking about getting either the wagon or hatch because I do alot of cycling too. I never even considered the sedan. With the seats down, there's enough room to slide your bike in?? I like the wagon but I have to admit the visibility out the back didn't seem all that great to me.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I do...for the 2009 part, don't know about the hatch/wagon question. When this version came out it was sedan only the first year, so maybe they will reapeat that pattern...but Mazda has so many wagonesque choices now, not sure they will bother doing the 6 in those forms again.

Anyway here is the source.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    Yeah, but they don't have to change the perception - just advertize it as the only mid-size with 3 body styles. No extra $ spent. Not even on development - if we continue to get the same M6 as the rest of the world. If people want a sedan they'll get it, but a salesmen can also at least note, "by the way we have a hatch/wagon if you need more utility". Also, add AWD and you have an Outbacks competitor.
    Easier said than done.

Also, getting the same car as the rest of the world isn't so simple. The US built Mazda6 requires it's own tooling, supplier base and safety standards. However, the $ figure I was throwing out was an out of the sky marketing cost. Grass roots efforts are neat, but you need believers and not salespeople to make those happen. ;)
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I believe...

I will have a 6i 5 door Grand Touring...
  • My bike is a 2006 Trek Pilot 5.0. With the back seats of my Mazda6s down, I can slide the entire bike in without removing a wheel (or anything else for that matter). Very impressive. And it's so easy to put the seats down. They're spring-loaded, so you just pull the handle from inside the trunk, and the seat pops down, revealing a huge pass-through. If my bike didn't fit, I would have gone with the hatch, but it turned out to be unnecessary.
  • Hello everyone,i have been in love with the Mazda6 since it came out in 03.My wife and I have been driving numorus Ford Taurus's for years,and never once had any problems with any of them.We purchased a 2006 Mazda6 with 30,000 miles on it,and the first time I drove it,the lumbar seat gave out,and I called the dealer about it,and he said they have had about 10-12 that have failed,and will replace the lumbar with an updated one.We only have about 2,400 miles left under warranty,and if anyone had any other problems with there Mazda6,could you PLEASE let me know,and i will make sure to address any other possibilities with my dealer.Thank you so much for your help.
  • sorry,i meant to say 50,000 miles
  • dsiriasdsirias Posts: 34
    There was not a single 5 door Grand Touring with 5 spd Manual in California. They were all automatics. So I put down a deposit and had dealer build the car and order it. on May 5. Just in time before they start ramping up for 08's. Dealer says it will take six weeks at the outside for delivery. Frankly that seems to soon. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Actually, 6 weeks isn't bad. Remember that the car is assembled in Michigan...
  • mazdaedmazdaed Posts: 7
    It looks like it'll cost almost $600 to remove the wing spoiler from a '07 Mazda6 HB (includes repainting, etc.). Has anyone tried to substitute a lip spoiler or something like that on the deck lid ? It will probably be another brand since not all the holes are covered up by a Mazda lip spoiler.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I have a 07 Grand Touring 5 door and I also wanted the lip spoiler i/o the wing. About $700 for the lip spoiler installed including body and paint.

I'm getting used to the wing, the lip spoiler is simply not worth $700 to me.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    quote IIHS_
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released cost estimates for the kind of accident that can happen in a parking lot or commuter traffic, when cars are traveling 6 miles per hour.

The Pontiac G6 sustained more than $4,000 in damage from a front-end collision at only 6 mph, according to an insurance industry-funded safety group.
    It found only three midsize cars - the Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota (Charts) Camry, and Mazda 6 - came away with damage of $1,500 or less from each of the four crash tests that checked for damage from front, rear, front corner and rear corner collisions. The Institute tested 17 midsize cars in the low-speed test.

Meanwhile, four vehicles saw damage of $4,000 or more from a low-speed front-end collision.

The Volkswagen Passat had the most expensive repair bill at $4,594,-end quote

Nice to know the Mazda6 performed well.
  • Eventhough my '04 M6s HB can accomodate 2 bikes in back, I'm interested in finding a rack rather than bang up 2 bikes laying on top of each other. Since I have the rear spoiler and a very short trunk lid due to the hatch, I'm at a loss as to what I could get. I'm not interested in a roof rack, since I'm far from an avid cyclist. I thought about having a hitch receiver installed so that I could get a hitch rack. Has anyone had a hitch receiver installed? My husband thinks they might have to modify (cut) the bumper cover....obviously that's not an option for me!!!