Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
Just wanted a discussion focussed-on/followed Honda's upcoming (Dec 02) new ultra utilitarian suv/pick-up/hatchback.

See link: http://www.hondacars.com/modelx/microsite.html?go=home

"Combines best features of suv, and pick-up truck."

All-wheel-drive implied but not stated.

Also, intended to be priced as an entry level vehicle...!?

Interesting.......

Comments

• I'm in the target demographic but when I saw that at the auto show last year I couldn't help but think how dumb Honda would be if they actually built it. Heck, even my friend, who refuses to buy anything without a Honda nameplate on it, thinks it looks retarded and wouldn't accept one if they were free. Good luck to them though!
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Posts: 128
    I followed the link; it looks interesting.

Seems like Honda borrowed elements of the Xterra and the BMW Mini Cooper.

If I'm in the market for a new vehicle when/if it hits the market it's one I'd consider.
  • I am the demographic its intend for as well and it does not appeal to me one bit. I either want a real SUV or a real Truck or a real Car, not some goofed up hybrid wanna-be thing!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I'm not in the demographic, and when I saw the first pictures of the vehicles, I thought it was outrageous and a possible bold step by Honda if they choose to manufacture it as it.

I'm not dumb enough to pass a judgement on the vehicle before I get to know more about it. Anybody got more details? Looks different, and could be a nice vehicle for young drivers (I feel old already now).
  • moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
    i am not in the demographics, and i am old(er), but i am fascinated by the functionality (that is the hype about its functionality) of this vehicle. Did you see the webcast and graphics of the seating flexibility...???!!! incredible. i always wanted a pick-up truck, and a go anywhere runabout, and a dune buggy...and being able to hose down the interior to clean it!!! ...these folks understand what its like to have kids!

that, and knowing that and knowing its got honda attention to safety, fuel economy, reliability, enty level pricing.... can't wait to learn more!

robertsmx:
    good to see you also find it interesting....welcome your input...
    what is your read on whether it will be awd?
  • moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
    http://www.autofieldguide.com/columns/kermit/0101Kas.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2001/auto/modelX/index.html

includes video of X running along very smooth sandy beach....and photos show very shallow chassis floor and tailgate...awd unlikely..

IMO, the X can be an interesting vehicle, very different from the usual stuff we see around, quite unique in many respects assuming that it gets to production nearly as is.

I would love to see Honda putting a hybrid AWD powertrain in the X, may be with the 2.0/2.4 liter I-4.
  • eludwigeludwig Posts: 82
    I'm part of "Gen X" not "Gen Y" (gotta love the media), but I also find the Model X interesting. I hope some of the neat design features- turn signals on side mirrors, sliding or removable roof panel, washable interior, MP3 stereo, and navigation system- make it to production. On the other hand, do those seats look completely uncomfortable and unsupportive?

I've always been a fan of unique designs like the New Beetle and Mini Cooper, so the Model X will get a look once produced. It's rare that a car manufacturer can produce a car that puts smiles on not only drivers' faces but also on observers' faces. I hope the Model X becomes one of those.

My Accord lease will be expiring in 18 months, and I'm already considering diverse cars like the CR-V and GTI. The Model X might strike a balance and fit right in the middle somewhere.
  • The bore factor of the Accord finally getting to you? This would definitely fit into the "diverse" category, and if you do like it, then by all means consider it. Don't forget to check out another "diverse" car, the Aztek. Wait, no. Don't do that. Look at the Focus SVT. Ford has fixed the quality issues with the Focus and the SVT offers much more for the money than the needs-to-lose-some-weight GTI.
  • eludwigeludwig Posts: 82
    What I so poorly termed as "diverse" was meant to say that the vehicles I'm considering are very different- the mini SUV CR-V and the hatchback GTI.

I wouldn't consider a Ford since a) Ford has gigantic quality issues (Nasser killed Ford) and b) I value my safety and well-being.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    A part-time/adult commuter student, I certainly understand and relate to the Model X's intended interior functionality. I won't hang surfboards from the back, but I'll appreciate the configurable seats. I can finally nap on a flat surface without having my legs fall asleep as a result of hanging them over the edges of the seats.

But the styling - it looks like a big gentle bulldog.
    Because you can park this $20K vehicle next to a $80K Hummer and say, look at me.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,944
    Generation X targeted for Honda's Model X

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    I know...I guess I didn't word my previous message too well. Obviously the Element can only accomodate 4 persons of any size/age. I was simply pointing out that the same engine in the CRV is taxed with 5 adults / but may not be with 1 adult and 4 children.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and what a plesure to see Honda taking such a styling risk. As a 43 year old male I am certainly not the intended demographic. However I love the styling and it reminds me somewhat of a mini Hummer for $80,000.00 less. Please Honda do not dilute the styling and produce the prototype as is. I would definately consider buying this vehicle. The Model X is a fine example of the wonders of Capitalism. One had to spend $100,000.00 at one time to purchase a vehicle that had gawk factor. Now we have the Mini Cooper, PT Cruiser, 2003 Hundai Tiboron, VW Bug, a inexpensive Mercedes, a $26,000.00 New 2003 350Z with exotic car performance, etc.
    And completely agree with bpraxis. I hope it retains much of its boxiness. While most of us whine about bland vehicles and all, it is us who resist something drastically different the most.