Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• rdriftrdrift Posts: 1
    I have owned a FWD MT Element for about 16 months and 27K miles. I live in SE Pennsylvania so we have some decent winter storms - and I commute around 2am before the plows are out in force. Honestly, I think that last year on the stock tires, the E handled just as well as any other FWD car would. In fact, the EBD saved my butt a few times on icy downhills. I did not notice any front tire slippage until just this summer when it got really rainy, and since getting new tires a month ago its been reduced to what I expect from a car that is set up to have a LOT of torque, VERY LOW in 1st gear. (try starting in 2nd and notice the huge difference)

The E is MUCH MUCH better than the last car I drove in the snow, which was automatic, much lighter, and had tiny little wheels. I think the key with a stick in the snow is to know exactly how much power to put down, when. Also, if you've had one for 20K+ miles, I would highly recommend checking your tires. (Especially if your'e a bit of a lead foot who enjoys an occasional squeal like me)
  • pezj2pezj2 Posts: 1
    Love the car and am ready to buy one. Only thing holding me back is a safety concern regarding the side impact test results. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration cited a safety concern for rear seat passengers in the 2004 E. And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the 2004 E its lowest rating in the side impact category.

The 2005 side impact test results have not been published yet. Any thoughts on whether the standard side airbags in the 2005 will make a difference here (at least for the front seat passengers)? Any other thoughts regarding these test results?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think side air bags will help; they have improved the scores significantly for vehicles that were tested without and subsequently re-tested with them.

CR-V and Escape both did much better, for instance.

It's only an option on the EX, IIRC.

-juice
  • has anyone had a problem with the sprayers for the front windshield washers? i am in PA and after this wkends cold weather and snow i cannot get them to spray, i refilled to resevoir to make sure that it is totally full but still no spray, is there any way to get them to work? i assume water got into the hoses and has frozen it. any suggestions?
  • elemintelemint Posts: 79
    "My wife and I starting to consider "baby compatibility" as we look at our 3 year plan"

Life is not a PLAN. No offence but people like you scare me. BTW Chuck the palm pilot too!
    My washer fluid froze also. After about 10 miles of driving it melted and worked fine.

Prestone sells some stuff that is supposedly more resistant to deep freezes. The blue stuff is only so-so.

I think the alcohol in there also can evaporate, so it freezes more easily.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,975
    varmint can defend himself but I think he meant 3 year car plan.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    If it is simply a frozen hose, park the car in the sun. Even with temps just below freezing, the sun will often thaw the nozzle.

If that doesn't work (or you're in a hurry), try warm water. Either directly onto the nozzle or inside the fluid reservoir.
    Elemint - You're reading wayyy too much into that remark. Settle down.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I think the alcohol in there also can evaporate, so it freezes more easily.

Evaporation is not an issue inside the reservoir. It becomes a problem only when the mixture hits the air and the alcohol evaporates.

tidester, host
    That assumes it's air tight, but is it?

I dunno, I use the blue stuff and in deep freezes it just freezes up. The label says it's good for up to 20 degrees below freezing (12 F), and it hasn't been *that* cold (18-30 F).

Maybe I'll stick with the stuff meant for lower temps. The Prestone product says its good for 40 below freezing.

varmint - do you still have those lit spray nozzles? I wonder if that heats them also.

-juice
    LOL! Yeah, I do have the LED spray nozzles. But I never turn them on. That was one of the criteria for installing them. I required a dashboard switch I could use to flip them on and off.
    That assumes it's air tight, but is it?

At those tempreratures the vapor pressure of alcohol is rather low so you would need significant convection to make a difference. But then it depends on how gaping the holes are in your system! ;-)

tidester, host
    Dunno, maybe the blue stuff is just low quality.

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    has Edmunds editorial coverage of the Element been MIA for quite awhile?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,611
    It has been quiet a while:

Model Central - 2004 Honda Element

The CR-V and Odyssey have been updated for '05, so I suspect the Element won't be far behind.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• jprezjprez Posts: 4
    I love everything about the Element except its ground clearance! Does anyone out there know if larger diameter wheels and tires can be installed without any problems? If I could get at least another inch of clearance it would be great. Plan to drive to some old Arizona ghost towns and mining towns and a hi clearance vehicle is required to some of these.
    Plan to drive to some old Arizona ghost towns and mining towns and a hi clearance vehicle is required to some of these.

Hey, I did some of those towns in a Datsun B-210! Of course, I was a bit younger then! :-)

tidester, host
  • I have an AWD Element and love it. Just over year old. No problem in snow, I'm in Upstate NY. I Haven't seen this covered at all,and I checked past posts. My question is this. At times when I take my foot off gas, car seems to act like brakes are on and noticeably slows down. This happens at any speed. (I have OD on. I will even turn it off when this occurs just to verify that it's operating.) Sometimes the car will shift, I believe the converter is locking up. Other times when I remove my foot the car will coast without any drag at all. The dealer has found nothing. What I also noticed is that my millage decreases when this occurs. I'm not sure at what speed the converter is supposed to lock up,and for all I know it just may be me and this is normal. Has anyone noticed this?

Thanks in advance.
    I dunno, the tires are already bigger than the CR-V, so I'm not sure how much more space there is for even taller tires.

Plus that will make the gearing taller, so it'll slow it down off the line some more.

-juice
  • To 04 and 05 owners, may I ask you the different between these 2 year models? The lenght of 05 is a bit longer than the 04's. What's change? Is it worth to save 15K to get last year's model? Thank you for your input.

Luk
    Well tidestar I'm 62. Just bought a satellite phone in case I get stuck out there if I go with the Element AWD. Looks like the 04 and older Tacomas in Pre Runner and 4WD have enough ground clearance you could drive a tank under them! But not very good on gas mileage! Having a real hard time deciding. The dog will have an easier time getting into the Element, and me too for that matter, that may be the deciding factor.
    Just remember to take plenty of water, camping supplies (blankets, food, extra clothing etc.), first aid and spare batteries! Oh, did I mention taking plenty of water with you? :-)

tidester, host
  • I don't understand what the issue is with this vehicle/ what are you used to driving that this is a personal issue for you?

You obviously haven't had to attempt to drive my mom's neon over the speedbumps in my sister's apartment complex

~OUCH!~
  • hairyhairy Posts: 1
    Do you really mean that you could get it for $15K less? For about $6K instead of about $21K?

Tell me where.
    Thanks for the ground clearance feed back, maybe I am making too big an issue of it. For info Element 6.9,Reg cab 05 Toyota 8.1,Pre-Runner 9.5,4wd 9.4, Tucson 7.7,Colorado 8.4. The Element gets better mileage than all these and has more interior utility as well. I'm going to let the dog decide!
    I've been off-roading (more like dirt-trailing) on a trip where an Element owner followed us. The E did fine. We traversed rutted trails, washouts, a few rocky patches, and a few spots with standing water. Nothing technical, but we scampered over a few 8-12" obstacles.

That said, if you're hung up on ground clearance, try the CR-V. Functionally it's very similar to the Element, but it rides on 8.1" of clearance.
  • I have a 2 wheel drive EX, and the dealer that sold my Element drives one. He told me that I need to leave it in overdrive? I don't know much about cars, except for GO GO GO. What is overdrive, and what impact does it have on city driving as well as gas mileage by having it on continuously? Does anyone else do this? What potential problems do you see with me having it on constantly?

Thanks,
    Bud
  • I have a 4wd Element EX (2004) and leave it in Overdrive all the time. Overdrive is a gearing ratio where the engine turn less than one revolution for every revolution of the transmission (driving the running gear.) For example, most cars engine/transmission run in a 1.0 to 1.0 ratio in 3rd gear; when you are in overdrive, the ratio usually changes to something like .75 to 1.0 This allows your engine to turn are lower revs, saving gas, while still allowing for top speed and performance. Hope this helps.
  • goltgogoltgo Posts: 54
    I believe towing would be the only situation in which you'd want to make sure overdrive was off. Under load and especially on inclines, your transmission may shift back and forth or "hunt" between O/D and D, putting a strain on the system.