Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• I just purchased a 2005 EX 4WD. It comes with the standard alarm system, but according to the manual it seems that this system only protects the car from being stolen by someone not using the correct key. Doe sit do anything I don't know about?

My son carries around a lot of expensive music gear. Do you all have any suggestions for me?
  • goofycatgoofycat Posts: 11
    What is the consensis on all-wheel drive vs. 2 WD? I plan to purchase a new Element in early 2006, but have not talked to anyone who owns one. I took my first test drive just yesterday in an automatic tranny 4WD. The vehicle handled well, but I drove only on dry pavement, so I would imagine that the Element's automatic all wheel drive had not kicked in.

Since I don't plan on any off-roading and I don't live in snow country, what would be the advantages, if any, of plunking out the extra bucks for a 4 WD? Better resale value, better handling, something to allow better wet-road handling just in case......or what? If you all-wheel fans could give me some reasons as to why I should go with the all-wheel drive, I will go that way. Also.....does anyone have any scuttlebutt on any worthwhile changes for the 2006 models?

Thanks much,

Barry in California
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I have never driven a 2WD Element, so take this FWIW, but arguments in favor of the AWD (which, after all, is only part-time when needed):1) stock tires have proven unpopular to say the least, so AWD should help; 2) gas mileage "penalty" is relatively small; 3) cost differential in a buyer's market should be less than MSRP might indicate; 4) resale. The FWD has been critiqued here for its inclement weather handling but, on the other hand, others don't complain about it. For me, the bottom line would be, given the price of the Element anyway, why not? While you may not see a lot of ice and snow, AWD can help in other circumstances too.
  • Lumbar, in what other circumstances, save for off-road, would AWD be advantageous? Another question: how much dealer resistance would I encounter if I were to insist on having them change the original tires to tires of my own choosing.....before driving it off the lot? I would imagine that if it boiled down to selling the car vs. a no-sale, the dealer would change the tires to ones that would fill my individual travel and handling requirements. Having ridden motorcyles for a long time, I know that tires can make a big difference in handling and ride quality.

Barry in California
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,795
    The dealer may be willing to work with you on getting different tires but I wouldn't expect them for free unless he's making a ton on the sale already.

You might be better off going right to a tire store and trading in the OEM's on what you want. They might give you something on a trade.

Good Luck.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Should help reduce understeer a bit. Usually the front-rear weight balance is a little better, and the tires tend to wear a litle more evenly. Finally, when engine braking, the rear axle chips in so you might experience less nose dive.

-juice
    Speaking of nose-dive and handling in general, are Bilsteins (or a comparable shock/strut system) available? Or....are there any other handling aftermarket mods available?...Or, are they just not necessary?

Barry in California
    I'd be surprised if there were, unless Civic or RSX parts are somehow interchangeable.

But I doubt it.

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,870
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wallementwallement Posts: 17
    I just bought a used 2004 Element EX and love it. Unfortunately, it was missing the Owners Manual which makes it hard to know what great little features I'm missing until I get my hands on a replacement copy.
    Anyway, when I go to exit the vehicle and depress the power door lock button with the door open, the vehicle will not lock, the lock "springs" back up. I'm guessing that is a design feature to keep me from locking myself out....and one I don't like. Or is this a malfunction? Or can I program it to work differently? The remote lock works fine, and the locks work fine if the doors are closed.
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    No, it's what you thought...a design feature. There is a way around it if I remember
    correctly...All you need to do is pull the inside door handle as if your opening the
    door and while your doing that just hit the power door lock or just depress the
    lock itself. Let me know if it still works (it use to work for me on all the other
    hondas I've owned).
    Question for all of you....how many ways are there to turn the cruise off while
    your driving?.......

Later, Lew :shades:
    That's the way all Honda's used to be. Now I think the CRV and Element are the only ones that still require locking by key or remote.

Try this - pull the inside lever and then push down on the lock. It should allow you to lock the door.
    Question for all of you....how many ways are there to turn the cruise off while
    your driving?.......

Turn off? Only one: main button on dash.

Interrupt? Three that I know of:

Cancel button on steering wheel
    Depress brake pedal
    Depress clutch pedal
  • wallementwallement Posts: 17
    You are right. It works fine if you pull the door lever. I should have thought of that. This is my 6th Honda and my 2 Pilots both worked the new way (just nudge the switch with a knuckle). My 81/86/93 Accords all worked the old way.....I just forgot. It's kind of nice to grab the coffee mug, laptop case, umbrella, jacket, whatever and hit the switch....but I guess I'll have to re-train myself to keep a hand free!!
    Yes, I should have said interrupt. There's one more way though (besides what
    you already mentioned). I use to have fun with the salesman with this one.
    Anyone else know the answer?
    I'll B back later this evening with the answer.
    ;)
    If you press the accel and decel at the same time while cruising it will also
    take you out of cruise mode (interrupt).
    I have tried posting a review on the 2005 Element weeks ago and have yet
    to see any postings of any reviews for the 2005 model year. :confuse:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,428
    The review software underwent some recent upgrades but meanwhile the reviews got stacked up (they are read for foul language, spam, etc. before they get posted). So it may be another two or three weeks for the backlog to get cleared out.

Hope this helps and thanks for writing one!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a smallish Honda GB500 that I would like to take to some bike shows. It measures 82" long (with front wheel locked and slightly turned to the left) about 2' wide, and 46" tall. I have scoured the Honda websites for interior measurements and all I get is cubic feet. I would plan to take out all the seats (passenger included, if possible) to get the bike to fit.

Am I in luck, or should I just plan on adding a small trailer?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Barry in California
    BTW, in case you have not already guessed, I don't have an Element.....yet.

Barry
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,428
    I must admit, for a minute there I was wondering if the GB500 was a new trim line for the Element. :-)

I suppose you could bike to the dealer and demo the fit yourself.... I'm sure the dealer would love that, lol.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Goin' Ballistic 500.

That's the new model with factory nitrous and 500 horsepower. Production is limited so sign up now. ;)

-juice
  • dslightamdslightam Posts: 12
    Hey Folks,

Last night I got the AWD Khaki Element 5spd despite all my neurosis about payload. I guess it's good impetus to lose weight. :) We're giddy, because it's our first new car after years of swearing never to buy one. Anyway, thanks for the info/advice. I may post again but hopefully it's not about problems and it's just obnoxious owner satisfaction.

Dan
    You gotta post about what you manage to squeeze inside.

I've had an oversized clothes washer in my Forester, still in the box, even managed to close the hatch.

One of the guys in the CR-V thread had about an acre's worth of sod in his CR-V, it was absolutely hysterical. The front wheels looked like they could come off the ground.

Not that I suggest you overload it. ;)

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I took some quick measurements during a test drive, so don't take these to the bank in terms of absolute precision. Length is about five and half feet measured from behind front seats and depending on where one positions the front seats. I wasn't considering taking out the passenger seat so I didn't measure that but you can probably estimate that. The width varies depending on where you measure, but it's about 41-42 inches at the widest point (back seats out) and (I think) about three to four inches narrower where there are "suspension panels." Folding the seats up takes up quite a bit of space in the area off the floor where the seats reside, but I assume you'd take those out. I did not measure the height at the tailgate because it was clearly cavernous enough for my needs, but, since the vehicle is 70 inches high, I'm thinking it should at least four feet shouldn't it?
    Juice and Steve: I just picked myself up off the floor after having the best of laugh I have had in weeks. The GB is a single-cylinder motorcycle with four valves, manufactured in 1989 and 1990 as kind of a retro Norton Manx. It is on the other side of the dial from the extended forked monsters seen on biker build-off. I like the Goin' Ballistic moniker. I'll relay it to the GB website. They will love it!

Barry
  • Try a Thermarest by Cascade, a company in Seattle. They make mattress that are relatively light and almost inflate themselves. They come in various thicknesses and are thin when rolled up. I have used them for years. They come with a lifetime warrantee and will replace the mattress, no questions asked.

Barry in California
    Glad you were amused. :)

-juice
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    I've been giving this payload issue some more thought, and it makes no sense for a 3,500 lb vehicle with 160hp to have such a low payload, especially since it is supposed to be a small SUV.

The only thing I could figure is that Honda is nervous about rollovers. My guess is that you could probably put well in excess of 650 pounds in an Element without doing it any damage. But if you end up flipping it, Hondas lawyers will come back and say you had it overloaded. I think it is just another reflection of our lawsuit happy and paternalistic culture. You see this with other vehicles that are essentially mechanically the same, but have much higher tow and payload ratings in markets outside of the U.S.
    In Australia even your basic base model Subaru is rated to tow 1800 kg, or 3960 lbs. About double what they are rated here in the sue-happy USA.

-juice