Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Elements vary a little bit in weight, but the 4WD auto is 3587 lbs. The gross vehicle weight rating is 4450 lbs. Shouldn't the "payload" effectively be the former subtracted from the latter, or 863 lbs? Eliminating lawsuits and lawyers from the equation seems to produce a more sensible and practical, but not overly high, number.
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    Congrats Dan!
    Gotta love that Khaki color. In the evening it looks like it has a touch of light
    green to it. Anyway...enjoy. :shades:
    Lew
  • I believe the recommendation is as follows:

1) Honda uses break-in oil so the first oil change is at 3750 miles.
    2) Subsequent oil changes are at 10,000 miles for normal wear; more frequent for "severe" driving

Please advise otherwise.

Also, I'd like a decent explanation as to how this vehicle can get by with oil changes every 10K. This is such a foreign concept for me. I appreciate any insight as to what current Element owners are doing as well as their experiences.

Thanks in advance
    Andy
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    10,000 mile oil changes aren't that rare any more. Many cars have systems that don't require oil changes for 15K or more. They build engines and make oil a lot better than they used to.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    lumbar: good point, and you chose what is likely the heaviest model, too. A 2WD DX would weight a bunch less, and should therefore have more payload remaining. Wonder why they were so conservative setting that number. :confuse:

-juice
  • dslightamdslightam Posts: 12
    Hey All,

Now I'm addicted to this discussion.. thanks a lot. :) That's essentially the conclusion I came to about the payload. My first time at the dealer, I did the same calculation with he GVWR. I've also spoken to people that have had 4 guys in the car and 4 kayaks on the roof with no issues. What clinched it for me finally was speaking to a independant mechanic who knows Hondas. He said they are usually very conservative with estimates like that. Also, given the demographic that they are targetting, the lawyers were probably worried that rich spoiled brats just out of college would buy this particular rig, flip it over because they were using it for some unreasonable off-roading, and Daddy would sue Honda. You probably just have to use some common sense when driving heavily loaded.

FYI: so far the Khaki '05 MT has been a blast. My neighbor and our dogs went hiking in the mud yesterday. Gotta love those floors.

Dan
    You sure it wasn't two tandems?

That might be pushing it a bit. Maybe it was those new compact ones for white water.

-juice
  • dslightamdslightam Posts: 12
    I agree that might be pushing it, but it was nice to hear that someone had pushed the limit more then I ever would, yet didn't have problems. I notice a lot of lean with 2 big guys and dogs in the car let alone 4 and 4 kayaks. IMHO rollover liability is probably big reason for the conservative estimates on towing, payload, and roof-rack as apposed to other factors. It's a danger tradeoff that comes with the height of the Element.

Dan
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I have a sneaking suspicion, the Element's payload is tied to that of the CR-V. The CR-V is rated for about 850 lbs (based on those conservative estimates Honda is well-known for). The Element weighs about 200 lbs more than a CR-V and so the payload is approximately 200 lbs less.
  • wallementwallement Posts: 17
    Just bought a year old used 2004 with 25k miles. The plastic roof panel (and to a lesser extent the plastic side panels) seem to already have a slightly "weathered" look to them. The roof might appear to have some soap residue, not sure. Anyway, what does Honda or experienced owners recommend for cleaning and preserving these panels. I am concerned that with a year old vehicle showing this weathered look already, that in a few years, if unchecked, will really show age.

Any suggestions out there?
    I thought you were going to say something like they looked at that day's winning lotto numbers!

6-7-5

Payload is 675 lbs! Why not? It's catchy. ;)

-juice
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    Why not use the 5 speed Automatic Transmission that is part of the CRV in the Element? The Element outweighs the CRV by a few pounds and could definitely improve with highway revs down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the E. I'm one of those 6'6" guys that have been posting about the space and headroom. I just think the 5 speed a/t would be a good addition.
    The CR-V just got the 5AT with the 2005 mid-life design refresh. The Element is a year behind the CR-V's production cycle, so it is likely that the E will get the 5AT with its mid-life refresh for 2006. I expect it will get the standard VSA, ABS, and airbags, as well.
  • You might want to dig thru this thread. I believe some folks have tried Armor All and others (as ridiculous as this seems) use peanut butter. The PB might not be too far fetched as I could envision the panel/cladding absorbing the PB oil. My element is only a month old so I don't have anything to cover up just yet.

Let me knoe what you find

Andy
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    I know this will seem like I'm off the subject a bit but my understanding is that
    peanut butter companies remove all the peanut oil and replace it with vegetable
    oil. They resale the peanut oil at a higher cost. Maybe we ought to be trying
    vegie oil instead on the panels ;)
    Who would have ever thought we would be talking about this?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,778
    Who would have ever thought we would be talking about this?

We'll be back to the Element in a Jif!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Maybe some Element owners have a Peter Pan complex.

My understanding, without personal experience, is that a marine/boat product-- 303 Aerospace Protectant-- that comes in a spray Windex-type bottle is recommended by owners for preserving the panels from UV rays--the same purpose it serves on boats and similar items. A little goes a very long way and should be buffed heavily and restricted to the panels. The preservation aspect is not necessarily the same thing as the cleaning aspect, but I'm loathe to use Armor All on anything.
    I'm rotf laughing about that one, Skippy.

I use 303 a lot, and have found Vinylex to work good too. I've also heard that Armor All was reformulated years ago and works just fine as well.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,844
    ...works well in removing wax from plastic panels. The oils break down the wax.
    Peanut butter and toothpaste both have a very, very mild abrasive quality. I've used PB to clean tape residue off rubber. Not much of the oil was left behind.
    Sorry, I'm just not quite ready to start brushing my teeth with peanut butter. Next we'll be recommending baking soda for, ahem, caked on dirt.

I also have visions of deer and raccoons wandering the streets at night licking the sides of Elements.

Steve, Host

But they'll have such bright smiles!
    Just use creamy. Not crunchy, or you might end up with scratches! :P

-juice
  • guammerguammer Posts: 2
    I commute in the Houston area (all major interstate and state highways) and have collected several chips and a crack in my windshield over the past several months. I have made the same commute for 6 years in a few different vehicles before the Element with never a crack or chip. There is no discernible difference in construction in the area or dump trucks on the road, so I am beginning to think that my windshield is less able to withstand the pebbles that sometimes fly.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, any recommendations?
    Just don't follow contruction trucks, keep a good 3 seconds behind them. They let off a lot of debris.

My wife tailgates too closely, I complain to her often. She's broken 3-4 windshields. Type of car doesn't seem to matter (Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru). I don't follow closely, and never had one problem with that. So maybe leave a little extra distance when following any cars.

-juice
  • 151ranch151ranch Posts: 109
    I believe the more vertical the windshield, the more likely a rock chip/crack will occur. Our E has 3 already. Same problem with our Trooper and Jeeps. I drive the same roads as my DH, no chips in 10 yrs in my car (Volvo).
  • 151ranch151ranch Posts: 109
    Just thought I would post that after 30k, the E's mileage finally picked up and we now get 26mpg, versus 22-23 the first year (EX AWD 5spd). :shades:
    True, but you'd think the high-up hood would offset that somewhat. Those rocks must have been kicked up pretty high!

-juice
  • north1north1 Posts: 11
    If you search some of the other windshield threads on other sites re: the E, you will find that cracking/chipping is an all too common problem. I took a quarter sized rock my 04' E windshield last week from a gravel truck going in the opposite direction and it created a basketball sized spider web...sounded like a gun going off in the cab. 262$ later I have a new shield and am leery about this happening often. The slope of the shield is quite steep, similar to Jeeps...there is also a class action going forward re: the design of the 03' windshield that Honda claimed it fixed in the 04'...any other folks w/windshield probs?

north14
  • smoot1138smoot1138 Posts: 15
    Hi!
    Thanks for asking the very questions I was going to ask! I too am eager to buy the Element but feel that there is about to be a change next year. I know that the 2005 models had side airbags as standard but I'm also hanging on for the side curtain airbags. I love the new colors 2005 has to offer but want that little bit more. :D