Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• jmessjmess Posts: 677
    Has anyone done any extended sleeping in the E with all the seat backs folded flat? What is it like for comfort?
  • elchucoelchuco Posts: 2
    I bought an '03 5-speed EX AWD about 2 months ago. While the car's doing fine (getting about 24-25 MPG, by the way), I've had an odd problem with the CD player.

I travel a lot for my work, and when I've been on the road I've enjoyed playing CDs. But when the temperature dipped and I put the heater on, the CD player started playing with lots of static. I told the dealer, who supposedly contacted Honda's tech support about the problem. The dealer then told me that because the dash is "weather resistant," it holds a lot of heat, which gets transferred to the CD player, especially when the heater's on.

In other words, he said it's just a defect I'd have to get used to. He suggested not using the panel heat while playing the CD player, but just using the feet/heat. In other words, I should modify my behavior, because there's no fix for the CD player.

This sounds kind of screwy to me. You'd think Honda would've gotten a CD player for their cars that can play while the heater is on.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    If you are using CDR's instead of commercially purchased CD's there could be some problems. I believe that sometimes CD's recorded on PC's don't always play well in car units.

Also, if you look on page 102-3 in the Element manual, there is an Error message that the CD will display when it's too hot to play. If you are getting the error message, then the dealer may have a good point.

On the other hand, if you aren't getting the error message, then I think the dealer is just tap dancing. He just doesn't want to deal with it.

Last time I checked, the Dash is actually totally INISDE your car and has only minimal insulation duties.

I'd call the dealer and ask him to reconsider. What is going to happen when it get's HOT outside. Are you supposed to run the A/C in the Dash to keep it cool and not on your feet which might be hot.

Duh?

I'd call Honda Customer Support and request a Zone contact if the dealer doesn't come up with a good answer.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If you are using a CD-R make sure you format it as an audio CD and close the session when you're done. Most CD-RWs will not play in a plain CD drive if you don't wrap it up like that.

If that's confusing keep in mind DVDs are worse, you have the whole DVD-R vs. DVD+R, and then RWs for both of those!

-juice
    They wrap up their long-term Element in the latest issue. 25mpg, not bad. They did have a couple of problems, though.

-juice
  • pluckyewpluckyew Posts: 2
    to replace our second car '00 Wrangler Sahara (6cyl) we're considering a black
    '04 ex CRV or a
    '04 ex Element, either in manual awd. [our other car is a nissan titan kc 4x4 pickup :) ]

I. what i'd like to know from any Element owners is that would the extra trouble of going to Reno, NV, to buy would get me the Honda without the catelyic converter that may (i've heard) sap the mpg mileage? what ya'll's actual mpg on the stick shift awd?

II. since i'm used to a Jeep ride i'm figuring teh funky Element is more my "element" than the cute CRV, but does any ElemenT owners have any comments about Element build quality and reliability. would the CRV be more reliable?

thanks... Chris
    They all have catalytic converters. Are you referring to a non-CA car vs. one with CA emissions? I don't think Honda makes 2 seperate versions.

-juice
  • elchucoelchuco Posts: 2
    To answer the CDR question above: no, I'm just using regular CDs out of the box (plastic wrap) that we bought at the Wherehouse or Walmart or wherver.
  • I test drove a 5speed last Saturday and it rev's much higher at speed than my 5speed 02 Accord. I believe the Element was at 3,750 @75 while the Accord does about 3,000 @75. Does the automatic Element rev lower at speed and for those with 5speeds do you find the high revs tolerable on longer trips?

Thanks
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Yes, the automatic will rev a bit lower than the 5 speed. Whether or not it's tolerable is a question only you can answer. Different people have different tolerances.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    than the comparable Accord, in order to provide good responsiveness despite the weight penalty of the Element vs. the Accord.

Don't forget the reinforcement required for the "suicide doors" adds a weight penalty vs. the CRV too.

High revving engines aren't a problem if the car takes that into account in terms of motor mounts, engine counterbalancers, and soundproofing.

When I test drove an automatic Element, it didn't seem "busy" in the engine compartment at all on the freeway.
  • hdowdyhdowdy Posts: 2
    I was quoted $19895 for a "no extras" manual tranny 04 EX Element including destination charge. Tax in VA is 3% and $250 for processing and $50 for TTL. Is this a decent price and how much lower can I reasonably go.

Thanks
    Future Element Owner
  • lalagimplalagimp Posts: 61
    Which part of VA are you trying to buy in? You can look up my info under here, and note the date
    lalagimp "Honda Element: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" Jan 2, 2004 3:24pm
  • goinstaggoinstag Posts: 20
    I've had a 5-speed EX fr about an E now and have completed a few long haul highway trips--the higher revs were never really noticeable. The E isn't as quiet as the Accord, but it's always a lot more quiet than the Saturn it replaced, so my sense of "quiet" may differ from yours.
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    Does anyone know what changes there will be for the 2005 Element?
  • Lets hope it's the looks. To me the Element is the 2d Ugliest new vehicle out there.

When I see a pontiac aztec I want to hurl. God help me if I'm at a stop light and an element and an aztec are on each side of me. I may have a seizure. LOL

-> lighten up... just my opinion!
    Buyers ignore the Pontiac yet they keep lining up for Elements. Sales are close to double the projections.

Scion xB also sells well. So does Avalanche. So odd balls can succeed. I wouldn't necessarily group the Element with that Pontiac, though.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Yeah, I can certainly with the opinion that the Element is "odd", but there's little to suggest that it's "ugly".

Historicaly, American's don't buy ugly cars. But they are buying the Element. People in the business of design like the Element. (I know of one in particular who is driving around the world in an E.) For every person who hates it (like my wife), there is another who adores it.

"Polarizing", "odd", "controversial"... sure any of those fit. But ugly just isn't in the cards.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    I like mine (needless to say). Galapogas Green.

Very funky. Surpringly large ... I pulled up behind an RX330 this morning and boy did it look small.

Our E is nicknamed Stubby.