Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,781
    Nothing wrong with Yak (or Thule) racks except the price.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ragetsragets Posts: 63
    Has Anyone used the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred Tires?

If so, did they decrease MPG?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please try Honda Element Tires and Wheels.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • vamuralivamurali Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 2005 Honda element EX 4WD. I found one for $17000 which included the 7yr/100,000 miles warranty transfer and accessories like tow package, cargo mats, liner etc.

Please let me know if this is a good offer to go for and also the experience with Honda element.

Thanks
    Tony
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Posts: 145
    I am a 30 year old guy and I have a lot of time off from my job on a regular basis. It just struck me that it would be cool to zip off on road trips without always having to find a hotel room- but I have no desire to drive a bus/RV and have a separate other car. My current car is 14 years old and I live in New England- I'm due for a new car, and would get the 4 wheel drive Element. Is sleeping in the Element something you would only do in an emergency, or are there ways of making it ok for 1 person? I see there's some sort of tent accessory, but it's apparently not weatherproof. I guess I am looking for a better version of an old VW bus
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Posts: 10
    There is a company (the only company, apparently) that makes a compact pop-top camper for the Honda Element. It may be just what you're after. Check out ursaminorvehicles.com. Good luck.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Posts: 145
    That looks just like my bag, yeah baby, yeah. Thanks for the tip. Sorry for the bad Austin Powers.
    That tent is sooooo awesome!!!!!!!!! I would love to get it for my 2007 but they are only available in California (I live in Ohio) and it cost $4000 all together. Just got my car so no money for that right now. Maybe in two years. :)
  • cwalticwalti Posts: 185
    It is a super cool set up. I had the fortune to meet Ursa Minor and got to check out his creation. It is solidly engineered, and well executed. The craftsmanship and the material choices are first rate, adding only ~100lbs to the vehicle. The $3,500.-- + are well spent on this quality addition.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    So I went to visit an old friend over the 4th, and noticed a pair of Elements in the drive way.

Sure enough, her husband had one first, and she liked it so much that she bought one too!

I asked about how they use them, and the only difference is that he leaves his seats out, while she keeps them in.

Both were RT4WD. His is a bit older, hers was new.

Any other families with TWO Elements? :)
  • cwalticwalti Posts: 185
    Oh Yes,

check on www.elementownersclub.com and search '2 E Family' ...

It is not very common yet but I have seen several 2 E families and many multiple Honda families. Pssst, - I got 4...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Four?! You're allowed to buy other cars, ya know? ;)
  • harry28harry28 Posts: 29
    Does anyone know what Honda charges for the equipment and to install this in a new car? The car I want has it already installed, but I would rather not pay for it.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I just bought my E last night and im trying to figure out if i get REAL stations thru XM or just these funny weather channels and channels that tell how to order XM. I already have a Sirius set up that i can take between my vehicals so i will mainly be using that, except that with sept and oct coming XM has mlb. And id hate to miss a game while going on a road trip ;)
    I had read a lot of posts in which people's Element's panels had faded over time. I've had mine since April and the panels started to fade. I was at my friend's house, who is a mechanic, and he was showing this stuff to me for my tires to make them Shinier and look brand new. It was pretty cool. I told him about the panels. He put the stuff on them and it took the fading away and made the panels look great. It is called "Wet'N' Protect "Wet" Tire Finish". But anyways, just spray some on a rag and apply it to the faded area. It works great and made it look brand new.
  • Finally, after several weeks of on and off reading, I got to read all the posts.
    Wow...bored much? (no offence intended)
  • It is always good to see the problem areas of the past owners as well as any unique experiences. Actually, reading the site is a nice break from work. It appears we are the only two on the site though. The element is around 1600 miles and averages 22 mpg. I can't wait to test its trip mpg which will come in December.

Actually, it is going to be quite nice to get to drive my xB next week.
  • Not sure if I have done this yet, but mine (actually my wife's) is a LX-2WD with fog lights, mudflaps, cargo mats (rubber in front and middle) and carpet in the back, and a chrome tailpipe.

The Element is our family car. It replaced a 95 Corolla. I only wish I still had the Corolla's mileage. LOL
    Have a few over 4K on my E. acerage about 21-22 most days. Huge step up from my 01 silverado.
  • I might actually get enough miles on it thru driving it over the Christmas Holidays that it might need an oil change.

Put new tires on my Scion, it is much smoother. It had Goodyear eagle LS tires, otherwise awful. However, the tires did last 19000 miles. The new tires are Yokohomas.

From reading all of the posts earlier, the Goodyears on the Element is a mixed bag but most of it is not encouraging. I just may save some money and put some Michelin LTX M/S's on it (in time).

I have a Silverado also and it gets 15/18. It's a 93 with a 350. I can't wait to test the Element highway mileage.
  • Definately do no wax the panels. There is almost no way to get the wax off so that it looks ok permanently. I have a honda element and i work at a honda dealer...trust me, i have seen some that people have gotten a little wax happy...it is not a good look.
  • Has anyone heard of an issue with wipers speeds not working properly in cold weather? Where the fastest speed is not any faster than the slower speed.
    Thanks
  • Just bought a new (to me) 2006 EX-P---just over 8k miles. Would like to find a window screen for the moon roof to keep the bugs out. Seems like the perfect thing for camping, but no screen means lots of bugs. Anything available? Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,781
    I don't know where I saw the link now, but you can buy mosquito netting with magnetic strips sewn into the hems along the edges. You might find magnetic insect screens with an ok fit at the big box hardware store.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bjgw66bjgw66 Posts: 16
    Honda has the snap on sunroof bug net in the parts dept. they also have a Tent/Cabana set that goes around the clam shell back end. I have a friend who uses it every time we go trout fishing/camping!! just see your local dealer.
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Posts: 10
    Will be buying a new Element later this year and am leaning toward an LX because I like the unpainted panels and don't need an expensive radio. However, I've heard that if I want arm rests (and I do) I must go with the EX.

What arm rests are missing from the LX? All of them? Those on the doors? One on the right side of the driver's seat? One on the left side of the passenger seat?

A Honda accessories company, H and A, offers a storage/arm rest for the right side of the driver's seat (which involves the seat being cut into — a prospect that fills me with trepidation). Is this the only way to get two arm rests for both driver and passenger or must I save up an extra 2K for an EX?
  • Only the center armrests are missing. You can buy them as an accessory. Personally, it is not a big deal (for me). It is just like my xB.
    I'm looking into getting a Pioneer AVIC-D3 DVD Navigation Receiver for my 2007 Honda Element EX 4WD. Does anyone know why Crutchfield would say that the "factory subwoofer and/or sub amplifier will be lost." If that is true is there a way that it would work? Also, would I need to get all new speaker for this receiver or would the Element's factory speakers be enough? Any assisstance on this would be great. Thanks.
  • napanapa Posts: 6
    We like the element (price, safety, Honda values), our one questions is about our dogs in the cargo area. We would like to have them stay in the cargo area with a pet guard or cargo divider. We have not seen one on the market that would go fit the element box shape. Anyone out ther have one, that works? Also, we had wanted a car with leather (dog fur issue again) how does the element fabric work, the car we have now holds the fur like glue.