Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• derangedderanged Posts: 6
    Where did you get the info about the decline in sales for April and the YTD? Did have numbers for localized market trends?

I am thinking of purchasing an Element of my own, and trying to find out info regarding demand in the SLC, UT area so that I will have a better idea of how hard I can push the dealers.

Thanks.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    On sales trends - data ??????
    Some predict it will be like the PT cruiser and the new beetle- initial demand then fade out.
    i like them and want to know
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The price is right and the utility gives is lasting appeal. Who cares if it's trendy or not?

-juice
    if they are in low demand you get a better deal
  • lalagimplalagimp Posts: 61
    All I could hear from the backseat was wind *LOL*
    Exactly. I want to get a deal.
    I see, you're trying to measure the supply/demand curve.

I think it's still so new that right now it's a seller's market.

Element has been a hit for Honda so far. We'll see if it can sustain the good sales, but it's nearly double the projections.

xB just started selling nationwide so we'll have to wait and see on that one.

-juice
  • lesbaer45lesbaer45 Posts: 9
    Maybe, maybe not. I see lots of Elements sitting on dealer lots around here. And I mean sitting. According to Honda's own figures, it doesn't look like the sales are up to last years levels.

Element * 5,128 6,480 -20.9% 20,047 21,949 -9.6%

Hopefully Honda won't bail on the Element as I think it has a niche market.

My SO wants an Element. We are watching and trying to stretch one more year out of her current GM minivan. Hopefully by this time next year I'll never have to deal with that GM POS again.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Demand for the Element seems to be very regional. In some places, the E sits waiting for buyers. In other areas, it flies off the lot.

Sales in the first year were way above Honda's expectations. They originally planned to sell about 40K units, then expanded it to 50K units. In reality, they sold something like 67 or 69K units.

Here we are in the first 1/3rd of the year, and they have already sold 20K units. They're on track to sell about 60K for the year. That's still 10K units above their revised expectations and 20K above their original goal.

I think that sales are down because the newness has worn off and the incentives on other vehicles are making them more appealing. I also suspect that the Element was selling as the less expensive version of the CR-V. Now that the CR-V is selling below MSRP, some buyers may be choosing the CR-V.
  • ztorinztorin Posts: 48
    I'm about 30 minutes north of Boston, and I've been seeing them everywhere. In my town alone, I see at least 5 on my way to work, and that's only a 10 minute ride. All different colors. I think I'm the only Orange one so far. We go to Nashua,NH a lot too, and I see a bunch of them at the malls up there. Sales must be pretty good in New England??
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Orange was our color of choice when we were searching for an Element.
    varmint: if the 2005 CR-V gets those upgrades you mention, perhaps the price gap with stretch again. That would be a good strategy for Honda, actually.

-juice
    what the effect of Scion in a few weeks will be when it comes out - the scion b?????
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    I see them on the lot at the local toy store. They even copied the E's orange paint too.
    Per varmint's earlier note regarding regional demand. The demand for the Scion xB should be as well. My wife and I were having a little bit of a battle regarding what the next family vehicle should be. I was pushing for looking seriously at the xb for two reasons, cost and mileage. (The new vehicle will be my daily driver, and I currently have a '90 Range Rover.) I like the room of the xB, the three seat belts in the rear, the mileage is great, but most of all the price. The main draw back is no AWD.

We live in the SLC area, and AWD, or chains, is required for travelling up the canyons to the slopes in the winter, which is a weekly trip from November to late April. That combined with the history of Honda quality has lead me to decide that the Element wins, but this reasoning will not hold true for people in Louisiana.

A side note regarding regional demand. I requested a quote by internet through Edmunds this week. They only have one local dealer listed, and the price quote on a 2004 Fiji Blue Element LX AWD Auto is $19,090. I have read posts in this discussion, and the one on pricing, quoting purchase prices on AWD Auto EX's for less. Those would have to be in areas where demand is not as great, or California where the battle with the Scion is a year old.
    The Toy dealer here says it will take a month to get one "since they sell so quick" but "HE WILL ORDER ONE FOR ME".
    Gee why am I not surprised.

The Xb is probably too light in the Expedition laden highways . Maybe $2.25 gas will kill off some of the SUVs.
    They are light, under 2500 lbs, but they're not small. scootertrash owns an xB and an Expedition and he posted a picture of the two next to each other, the xB holds its own. You can also get side curtain air bags and stability control is standard, too.

Keep something in mind - Element did poorly in side-impact tests without the side air bags. Honda had claimed the extra weight of the Element went to beefing up that B-pillar but the crash tests say otherwise:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0308.htm

Structurally, the score was only Average, and the overall score was Poor.

So don't dismiss the xB because it seems smaller, it might actually be safer, depending upon how you measure.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Ztorin - You need to get yourself to the next Honda SUV Olympics. It's in Franconia Notch on July 31. E-mail me for details. I haven't finished the new web site just yet.

For info on the last Olympics, check this link.

http://home.comcast.net/~evarmint/

Juice - I wouldn't use a single crash test to bolster that argument. The Element scored 5 and 4 stars in the NHTSA crash tests.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2807.html

The Scion hasn't passed any government tests, yet.
    It hasn't failed any either. :o)

Actually every vehicle has to meet the gov't minimums, so these tests aren't really pass/fail.

Someone was saying the xA was tested and its scores were close to the Element's. xB hasn't been tested but if anything it's the same platform with hard points farther away from the passengers, so it should do as well or better.

All I'm saying is don't dismiss the xB due to its size, the safety content is actually impressive for its price class.

Element and Scion xB are unique, boxy vehicles and from what I gather owners are pretty passionate about them, i.e. they have a strong preference. I'm trying to look at the safety issue objectively.

-juice