Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• I have the ugly steel stock wheels on my E, and someone nearby has the 16 inch Pilot Alloys for sale for 300 bucks with tires.

I was thinking about talking them down a bit, and picking them up, I did a quick measurement with my fingers, and they appeared to fit.

Does anyone know of any reason why the Pilot alloys won't fit on the E?

Thanks in advance :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Does the Element have a harness in the back, ready to plug-and-play? If so, it's not difficult - no splicing.

A hitch is heavy, but tie-straps help hold it in place and you can use a hydraulic jack (or a helper) to lift it into place.

I installed a Class I hitch on my Forester by myself. The harness was plug and play and it sure was heavy, but I managed in a couple of hours.

FWIW I think the Pilot's rims do fit, maybe varmint can confirm.

-juice
  • In '05 - it looks like Honda is trying to widen the gap between the Element and CR-V. The '05 CR-V gets a 5 speed automatic, steering wheel audio controls, VSA, and available leather and heated seats with the Special Edition package.

Maybe there will be a "special edition" E in a few years. But it would be nice to have the 5 speed auto and VSA now.
    Funny thing is the CR-V had 15" rims, but will now get 16"s to match the Element.

-juice
  • I forgot to add S-SRS airbags in the '05 CR-V.

Looks like it will be a nice vehicle. Unless the seats and dash change though, it is irrelevant to me. I fit in an Element but my shins bang the dash in the current CR-V.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    juice - handaaccessories.com has the install instructions for the E hitch. It includes the wiring harnesses which plug into the vehicle harness in the rear wheel well trim area.
    Definitely get the harness - no splicing, clean install, safest bet for no electrical gremlins down the road. No warranty consequences, either.

It's very nice when the plug is provided like that because it means you can plug-and-play with no splicing. Many cars do *not* have such a plug.

-juice
  • I called American Honda and they told me that the new 2005 Element will be introduced December 15. It looks like it will be just about the last Honda to get updated. Perhaps they have a lot of 2004s left to sell.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Isn't December the month when the original was released?
    Yup. They're just keeping the cycle the same way it was for the original 2 years ago.

-juice
  • Did a google on "Changes in 2005 Element" and came up with a site that listed very minor changes in 05 for the Element -- side bags standard on all trims, new colors, satellite radio, etc. One thing they mentioned that I've not seen here was "improved door sill treatments to prevent chipping." I'm assuming that's paint chipping on exposed metal in the sills. Is this a problem for anyone?
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    7500 mi on our 2wd EX 5 speed.

No chipping on sills.

We do have a squeaky clutch for the next service visit.

Plus it still drives TERRIBLY in wet weather. Worst traction in the wet of any FWD vehicle we've ever had. Winter here in Boston this year will be a real blast.
    side bags standard on all trims

Great idea, that erases the awful IIHS test result. IIHS will have to re-test it now.

I put aftermarket door sills on my Miata. Any paint will scuff if you rub against it often enough.

-juice
  • Hi,

My element (4WD EX w/o side airbag,silver) has ~400 miles now. first impressions:

drive & handling: I'd say about what you'd expect from Honda. Some people will find accel and break 'too sensitive'. I had a 2000 Civic, which would also jump if you floor it. Since I'm used to it, It drives great! It certainly doesn't drive like a big car, which was the reason I bought in the first place.

What I like: very tall seating position, a lot of space, the shape (I love it!) etc...

Complaints: engine noise at highway speed is more than I expected. Hearing cargo sliding whenever I turn. Would a cargo cover block the noises enough, or should I buy cargo organizer(s)?
    Again, the shape (I'm still worried I might look just silly in 5 years)
    not being able to seat 3 in the back.

About the last point, It looks like to me that the replacement bench rear seats with 60/40 folding capabilities can be made, since it is removable anyway. Would other people find this sensible option, or am I just crazy?

Thanks,
    Tie that stuff down, in a collision they might become projectiles that could hurt someone or break a window.

I'd recommend cargo nets, or just bungee cord things down to the tie-down points.

I have not seen aftermarket seats for the Element, but some compaines do make optional 3rd row seats for SUVs, and a bench like those would seemingly fit.

I found a link for you:

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/

Make sure whatever you buy meets DOT safety standards, including sturdy seat belts.

-juice
  • Just a heads up on the 2005 element. I've been told by dealers here in Arkansas that the 05 models can be had with painted body cladding instead of that gray color. I'm guessing to compete with the scion's.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Sounds unlikely unless it would be standard for all.
    Are they planning to sell painted panels as a dealer-installed accessory?
    I don't think Honda would bother selling different Elements with and without painted panels coming from the factory.
  • Hi,

I just bought 4WD EX Auto. I'm certainly enjoying the seating height and the space! (My old car was '91 Acura Integra).

However, it looks like sombody "ripped off" the license plate in front". The bumper shows screwhalls with tears. Also, I somehow got a rather visible cut on the rear bumper.

Since I live in NYC, I'm getting nervous about how these plastics will hold up... Also, there are many posted messages about the interior plastic. I'd like to know if there are any "proven" care instructions for these plastics..

Thanks,
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    We've had our EX since early 2004.

No real bad scratches outside, just a nick here and there on the rear bumper. We have a couple of scratches on the colored dash material. Nothing fixed either.

THe good news is that it's plastic and cleans up easily. The bad news is that it's plastic and is pretty wimpy.

Maybe the scratches accumulate over time in high traffic obvious areas that could have been higher grade materials. As they do, we should compare notes on the keen patina that the plastic acqires.
  • Body panels are in various colors based on the actual body color that you choose. For example, the new rallye red color Element has black panels instead of gray.

As for the previous question about caring for panels, I've read a lot about that on the Element Owners Club site.

Good luck.