Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    http://www.hondanews.com/forms/events/index.html?kwx=modelx

The 03/27/2002 announcement, plus there's a link to a lot of pictures (90 last time I looked).

• jvkalrajvkalra Posts: 98
    Is that going to limit sales of the Element?
  • She loves it, she just turned 9! I told her she couldn't get one till she was 16. Then she said, "but that is just like what they drive on Pokemon".

......Pondering the possibility of Honda plagerising Pokemon designs.......
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Awwwwww!!! They gaffed up the rear door! The concept truck had a window that slid down into the lower half of the rear gate. This way there was no roof support spanning the back of the vehicle. That meant you could have things poke out the top and the back at the same time. With the lift-gate design, you can't do that. IMHO, it seriously limits the functionality of the retractable roof.

At least they kept the styling similar. There's still a lot to like about it, but I'm miffed about that door.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    What happened to the chairs that were reconfigurable? Where's the retracting roof?

Without those two things that Honda was touting with the concept Model X, the Element is just another quirky-looking SUV. I'd rather have the seats fold flat than onto the sides, also. But I still like it.
    The roof still retracts, it just doesn't meet an open space where the rear window was. I'll see if I can post comparison pics later.

Hey, is that a table I see built into the floor? It looks huge!
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    At least they can save $ on the restraint system. Seriously, in these smaller vehicles even when they say five person, the three in the back better be pretty small. I had two in the back seat of my CR-V and my family is relatively small in stature and there wasn't a lot of room for a third. The problem is the seat, the 40 portion of the 60:40 is pretty small, my passenger was sitting in that seat but wanted to buckle up in to the middle seat because his rear portion was encroaching on that middle seat.
    That third position is most often used for car seats. That shouldn't be as big an issue with the Element's target audience.
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Posts: 219
    Car makers are in steep competition to see who can make the worst looking car!!!!!!!
    What happened to the good 'ol days of BIG cars with huge extrusions coming from all angles - that was when cars were cars. Now it is not polite to call something a car!!!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    the Honda Element will be a huge hit with young folks. Unlike the CRV (of which it shares much running gear), and which appeals more to couples or families, this will appeal to young singles. I could easily see my daughter in one.

Varmint: As to the roof, I agree. I'm sure it's due to safety issues. Years ago Studebaker had such a roof, like that on the Concept X, on their Lark Wagonaire from the early 1960s. http://www.stude.com/wagon/ex29.jpg

I suspect that Subaru also wimped out on their Baja with the "real" Switchback, fold-down mid-gate, that was found on their ST-X concept of a few years ago, for safety reasons too. The production Baja only has a small pass-through.

Bob
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Initially, I was suspicious about it, now I have a feeling that this vehicle will be a good addition to the Honda lineup. One of the best things Honda did with it was to give it the same engine as CRV, and target a price range of under $20K.
    And I also like the name.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Folding flat seats may hinder other feature in the Element, washable and lower flat floor. Seats folding to the sides seems to be okay,
    Interior - Rear
    The problem with seats that fold up and sideways, like that found on the Element, is that a HUGE blind spot is created, when looking over your right shoulder. It's not a problem with the seat directly behind the driver, but the other seat is a problem.

Bob
    I think that if you needed to load something so huge that it would require the seats to be folded up and onto the sides like that, the item itself would still block your rear view.

At least I hope that's what Honda was thinking because I really hate that feature.
    I wonder if they can be completely removed?
    Another thing I noticed is that the rear doors got smaller. And because of the now more angled shape of the lower part, I doubt the rear windows can roll past 70%.

But yet Honda managed to still make it look somewhat attractive. Did you all see the possible contenders from Nissan and Toyota's Scion division?
    if you need to put any relatively large item—but not necessarily a tall item—you'll end up with that blind spot, because the seats will need to be folded. Even a bike, while tall, will allow you to see (partially) through the frame.

I've never like those fold up seats (because of the blind spot issue) in the past; still don't.

Bob
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    .....access looks a bit difficult (though maybe not to the target audience), as the seat is well back into the interior....maybe done for side impact scores as the seat resides behind the body of the car, not the (small) door opening. I don't think anyone will be picking up granny and asking her to get herself back in there.
  • dstinydstiny Posts: 12
    Just use your side view mirrors. Ever drive a panel van? Hopefully, the Element's mirrors will be large enough to offset the absence of windows. Here we have a SUV that can convert to a van without having to store the rear seats in your garage (if you have one). We also get a deep floor because the rear seats don't fold flat (like my Explorer Sport). And, unlike my Explorer, I can hose it out.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    Seems that tractor trailer drivers don't have much of a problem working around that.

Why should a driver of a little pug car?
    I didn't say you couldn't live with it, or work around it. It would just be much easier if you didn't have to deal with it in the first place.

Prediction: This blind spot WILL cause more accidents, either in a parking lot, or on the highway. People who buy this car are not going to be experienced in driving a panel van.

Bob
  • dstinydstiny Posts: 12
    Point taken rsholland.

There seems to be a good share of parking lot accidents regardless of blind spots because so many drivers just do not pay attention to their surroundings. You might have to be a little more careful in the Element, but I believe most good drivers will know they need to take more care in turning and backing up. On your side, I suppose the blind spots will make it easier for careless drivers to get into trouble.

I will be at the NY Auto Show this Saturday and hopefully there will be an Element on display with both seats stowed. I'll try to check out how much rear window can be seen above the seats and how large the side-view mirrors are.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Thumbs up. For once, the design is exciting, eye catching, original. Function over form, and there's beauty in that. You get excited about the shape, not just VTEC or some other acronym inside.

I like the tail gate, the suicide-style doors with a huge opening, the spare tire that's stored inside, the hole for tall cargo, and the price range ($16-21k is impressive).

Dislikes? Seats only 4, this takes it off my list (2 kids and a nanny, need 5 seats).

Note to hosts: can we rename the topic "Honda Element" now that we know the real name?

-juice
    Where's the spare tire? I thought that was another picnic table, a la CR-V.
    Probably under the table, like the JDM Fullmark.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,589
    Thanks for the topic name change suggestion Juice.

Just how safe are those suicide doors going to be?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

As safe as suicide doors can get. Honda says that it expected a 5-star government rating even with those doors. I don't doubt their claim, but I still wouldn't want to be caught back there in a crash. The lack of a pillar there just doesn't inspire enough confidence for me.
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    Reminds me of the crew cab/extra cab mini-trucks with their 3rd doors. How do they rate for side impact crash ratings?
  • subzero206subzero206 Posts: 111
    ok why did honda put the hole in the rear part of the roof? i doubt many people are gonna be carrying anything that tall... it woulda been wiser to move the hole up above the front passengers so it can be a moonroof.