Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think this is par for the course, my Forester battery was quite wimpy. My new one required a bigger base and has very nearly double the CCAs as the OE battery. Starts are much smoother now.

-juice
  • travlertravler Posts: 138
    You might call Honda's National Headquarts, customer service at 800-999-1009. See if they have any suggestions.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    I have an AWD Element.
    It came with Goodyear Wranglers.
    Let's make believe it needs new tires.
    I don't go off-road. I'd like a set of decent-handling long-wearing tires.
    Any recommendations from real-life experience?
    Thanks.
    Go with a quieter touring tire, rather than the A/T tires that are overkill for your type of driving. CR rated the Falken Ziex 512s as a Best Buy but check if they come in that size. I have a set on my Miata and they've been great.

Traction was so good at first that I had a little tram-lining, i.e. following the grooves in the road!

-juice
  • I hope the 2006 RAV4 is reliable, as I ordered one. I still think the Element has a lot to offer, but I wanted the seating for 5, the RAV4 seems to have more power, and my Wife will be a lot happier with it.
  • little3little3 Posts: 31
    Fair Market Value is just another dealer "add on" to the price of the car. It is entirely bogus. Suntrup Hyundai in St. Louis uses it all the time to jack the cost of their vehicles then uses this FMV as a bartering tool. Don't waste your time...either flatly refuse to negotiate from the inflated price or simply go to another dealership. Also never pay a documentation fee. This too is a bogus expense. Check with the local DMV to find out the actual cost of title transfer and pay that but not a "doc fee". BTW the costs associated with clerical preparation of purchase agreements, etc. are already included in the dealership's overhead.
  • 00joe00joe Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm planning to buy an '06 Element EX soon, and wonder if anyone could provide feedback about some of the accessories. In particular, looking at the following: splash guards; floor mats (carpet vs all season); bumper trims, and; honda music link for iPod. Thanks, double-o.
  • travlertravler Posts: 138
    Were there any added accessories with the "Fair Market Value" mark up? If not then it truly is bogus. Also, fair market value can still be negociated. I'd go to Honda.com and find out what the invoice is and make them an offer. If this is bogus that dealer should be ashamed of themselves. I'd look for another dealer, even if you have to drive a bit further.
    Then I'd call them on the phone and tell them why you didn't buy from them. Maybe it'll teach them a lesson.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    I noticed through research that the Element has a 110,000 mile tune-up interval. I am looking at getting one, but wonder if it really is OK to go 110,000 miles, or if this is just part of a selling point (making it appear low maintenance). I can't even find on the maintenance schedule where it calls for the auto tranny fluid to be drained before then. Seems like going more than 30K on auto tranny fluid is asking for problems. Just looking for some feedback from Element owners as to what kind of maintenace you are doing on yours. Thanks
  • As I was looking at new vehicles, my co-worker made a good point. Look at the crash-test ratings for less costly insurance. My replacement car is a RAV4. Its insurance rating was very low, as is the Xbox. But the Element, has a very high rating making the insurance rates lower than other vehicles in the same catagory. Plus the Element is way more fuctional than either the Xbox or the RAV. Luv the bump'in stereo in the Element!
    For gear, I'd agree. That clamshell rear gate is nice, and the side doors open wide.

For people, no, the RAV4 is easier to load full of people (and up to 7, vs. 4).

-juice
  • What happened? The HP spec on the 2.4 dropped from 160 in 2005 to 156 in 2006. Anyone know what was changed and why?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    Happened to the Pilot and Civic Si and other makes/models too because of a change in the testing - for example "stated power output for the Pilot's V6 engine has dropped slightly due to Honda's adoption of a new SAE horsepower-rating procedure." link

Steve, Host
    It's just how it's measured now. It makes the same power as before, so it'll feel the same.

-juice
  • parnoparno Posts: 1
    Any traps in earlier Elements? I'm thinking of one 2 or 3 years old.

Pete
  • At 31,000 rear brake pads are 100% used up while front pad have more than half a life remaining. Even wear side to side and all components functioning normally. Dealer acknowledges front to back difference not logical but says that this is not unusual on Elements and crv's. Any thoughts or information?
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Emergency brake not completely disengaged by driver?

Cable too tight on emergency brake, causing slight engagement of rear brakes?

I don't think these are the likely cause, since there would be overheating of the rear brakes and an odor; also, once some of the brakes had worn down, there shouldn't be further wear (no contact).

Final (possible) cause - carrying a lot of weight in the rear, if the brake system has an automatic proportioning system to direct more braking to the rear brakes in such a situation.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    .... of what the brake wear should be in a FWD vehicle.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    That is true but my experience with a 98 Accord was that the rear pads are thinner than the front pads. That was confirmed to me by both the Honda service department and an independent shop.
    Weird, the front do 90% of the braking, since weight shifts forward no matter what.

31k seems awful soon, have them inspect the parking brake to see that it's not stuck.

-juice