Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    You don't install the keyless entry, per se. You just have to program it. I don't know about the Element, but when I programmed keyless entry into my Civic, it involved twisting the ignition on then off and then on while pressing one of the buttons on the keyless fob.
  • I just can't decide??
  • daveghhdaveghh Posts: 495
    I cannot speak for the Civic but I can speak for the 1998 CRV and 2002 CRV. The 98 CRV required programming and no install, probably the same way Diploid explained above. The 2002 CRV needs you to plug a remote box behind the comparmtent box under the radio. The install is easy either way. The Element is similar to the 2002 CRV.

You can buy it at....(scroll down a little)

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementelect.html

Here are the install directions....

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/elementkeyless.pdf

• boikoboiko Posts: 82
    Does anyone know when the Crash Tests for the Honda Element are scheduled? The results should be pretty interesting...

Thanks,
    -mike-
  • daveghhdaveghh Posts: 495
    boiko,

I don't know when the test is scheduled but the E is based on the Civic and CRV and both the Civic and CRV are the safest in their class.

I suspect the E will match the CRV's safety. It will have less 5 mph damage cost. It may not be as safe during a side impact due to the suicide doors. Although Hondas focus has been safety, safety, safety. Despite the E's higher center gravity it will probably get the same rollover as the CRV because the E is wider.
  • Thanks to all for the keyless entry install info - seems easy enough to do

As to philly2002's quandry over whether to by the Audi or Element, I think you should go for the Element, save the extra $10k the Audi will undoubetdly cost and consider the resale value of Honda vs. Audi. I shopped the Audi (as well as ML320, BMW X5, Explorer, Land Rover and some others to compare to the Element) and although more refined, the ultimate basis for your decision should be your intended use of the vehicle.

As I noted in a prior message mis-posted as a new discussion group, the Element (any maybe all Honda's) is pre-packaged such that options are few and far between - the model we chose (4WD EX) came with everything we needed and fortunately the dealer didn't have any of the two-dozen or so accessories in stock to inflate the price. Try to by an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan etc. without having to add $5k to $10k to the "base" price to get a car you can live with. Now, I must add, I did order about $800 in accessories after I purchased the Element but that was my decision and not the dealer trying to increase its profit.

Finally, on a very nit-picky note which will certainly not impact anyone's decision whether to by an Element, I just had the car washed for the first time (after a snow storm with lots of road salt) and noticed that salt accumulates in many areas (under door handles, mirrors, rear glass between B and C pillars) and when washed the salt "leaks" from these areas which requires a little extra cleaning after the car is washed. I mention this only because I read an article some time ago about the most car wash friendly vehicles as voted by employees at car washes.
  • I know this has been asked before, but I haven't seen an answer. Does anyone know when the "delayed introduction" side airbags will be available? I asked a local dealer, and he didn't know anything about them.
  • ssender1 wrote in "Tried to post message in this discussion group by ssender1"

FINALLY - if anyone has instructions/directions on how to install the keyless entry option can you please post them to this site.

There appears to be a boatload of installation instructions at the following URL:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03element/keyless.pdf

• I've had my blue 4WD (auto) Element for 2 weeks and wanted to emphasize how practical and functional the vehicle is to the poster considering the Audi. I have a big dog with lots of coat and needed a vehicle to haul him and all his agility equipment around to the park and dog trials and such. It is a dream to use this vehicle for activities like that.

The cloth seats repel wetness and dirt and debris. I just used a damp brush to clean them. The floor just sweeps out and mud and crud wipe out easily. I was able to spruce up the interior in about 20 minutes yesterday. I have none of that "new car" paranoia about getting it messed up. In fact, it's just the opposite. A very inspiring vehicle with a very versatile interior. An easy keeper if ever there was one.
  • I certainly appreciate the feedback regarding my big decision between the purchase of a refined Audi A4 Avant 6-speed and a head turning Gen X Moab biting hauler from Honda.

I just downloaded a list of potential Audi and Honda dealers in the Philly area and plan to inquire about stock so that I can get test driving some of these vehicles.

BTW, I currently drive a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner SR5. Its a beauty to say the least, but in all honesty it is my third sport-ute in a row. I'm a little SUV'd out and on top of it all---I'm really tired of contributing to the Oil mongers overseas. Enough is enough with the spoonfeeding of american dollars spent on gas guzzlers such as mid to full size SUV's. Oh yeah, the Hummer too. I hope there are some people out there who agree with me on this one.

So back to the basics. I do a lot of mountain biking in the summer and a small amount of snowboarding in the winter. The Audi is certainly justifiable in either catagory as well as the Element. With such a high resale value, the Toyota will certainly come in handy during the financial part of all this negotiating between buying and selling.
  • Hey all, here’s some pics from today’s NAIAS of the Studio E. Click HERE for more info and pics. Looks pretty funky :)
  • Honda Studio E Concept Features and Specifications
    Detroit, MI 01/06/2003 --

Interior
    Front bench seating with driver-side bolsters
    2 Flip-down seat pods in rear cargo area (jump seat style)
    Rear cargo area with hard shell plastic base and aluminum rails

Mobile Entertainment System
    On board personal computer with 17-inch LCD screen and inputs for musical instruments and mixing
    42-inch Fujitsu Plasmavision screen (folds down from the center of roof and displays out the back)
    800-watt Eclipse by Fujitsu Ten audio system with a rear-mounted CD/DVD head unit, three amplifiers, 11 speakers (two 2-inch tweeters, six 5.25-inch mid-range speakers, one 6.5-inch subwoofer, two 10-inch subwoofers)
    Front Sony CD/DVD head unit with flip-down display (WX-7700MDX)

Exterior
    Panel-side styling
    Aerodynamic underbody kit
    Rear cargo doors
    Passenger side cargo doors

Powertrain
    190-horsepower 2.4-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine
    6-speed manual transmission
    Unit body construction
    101.4-inch wheelbase
    Low-profile control-link MacPherson strut front suspension
    Low-profile compact double wishbone rear suspension
    19-inch alloy wheels
    245/50 R19 BFGoodrich Proto T/A tires
  • ropedartropedart Posts: 163
    190-horsepower 2.4-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine
    6-speed manual transmission

As we discussed before its just the European Accord engine. The really hot 2.4L is the new Acura TSX with 200 hp. This is really agonizing to see that this is the real powerplant for the Element. Too bad I think we will never see it in an American Honda. It would be due for the Acura RDX and when is that 1,2,3 years from now? And being Acura it won't be cheap. I wonder what the gas mileage would be?

IMHO the RDX should have a B-pillar. After all you can't get rid of the front seats. They would always get in the way of side loading. The suicide doors could still be there. You could have full size suicide doors that can open and close independently of each other. You can have an electronic locking system that prevents the rear doors from opening when the Element is in motion. You have a place to hide the front seat belts. You lighten the car and get back your payload rating. You have enough structure to have both a front and rear sunroof. The car could be longer with bigger capacity. The A-pillar gets thinner for better visibility. Years from now would anyone really miss not having a B-pillar?
  • I applaud you for getting out of a gas guzzling SUV... Have you considered a VW Jetta TDI 5 speed wagon? My VW Golf TDI averaged 48 mpg at 75 mph, fully loaded, with the air on!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,919
    I guess we need to drop the "Model X" from the title one of these days. Or add the "Studio E" to the title - bright red interior anyone?

Honda Element Studio E (Edmunds Detroit Show coverage).

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
    Steve:
    Sounds good to me. Folks have to do enough explaining about the vehicle as it is without going into the history of the name....;-)
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Does anyone have the specs (or is willing to measure) the size of the cargo door? I've seen pictures that look like a couple of mountain bikes will stand up back there (with wheels), but I was wondering if it might be possible to get a motorcycle in there too. It would need a little over 4' in height to fit.

- Mark
  • I think the rear lower gate and stand 2 people sitting on it, that's 300 pounds, half of a motorcycle. I don't know if the cops will let you drive around like that with clamshell doors open.
  • The height at the rear doors as measured at the opening is 40" h x 44" w. The cargo area interior is about 52" at its widest point, about the same as the width at the location of the rear seats.
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    might fit, but even if it does will you be over the 675 lb. weight limit?
  • Click HERE to see video of press conference from NAIAS.

• markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    It would probably be a trail bike, so < 300-lb, but I take it there is a 675-lb cargo weight limit?

- Mark
  • Bought the Element without telling my wife (not such a big mistake - I've done the same thing with our last two cars without much retribution). She knew I went to the dealer to look at and test drive the Element Her initial response after seeing the sales brochure was that she thought it is ugly. Well, after having the car for a week I can't get her to out of it! She made me take two child car seats out of our Volvo S80 and put them in the Element. Seems it makes a great child transport vehicle and the seats which fold flat are great for diaper changing. I don't like the Volvo so I'm driving my '76 TR6.

Has anyone else had a problem ordering accessories for the Element from hondacuraworld.com? I placed an order on 1/1/03 and have yet to receive any response. I'm sure some of the parts are not in stock but you would expect them to provide status info.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Ssender - A '76 TR6, huh. Were you expecting sympathy or something? =)

I would expect the table in the back to serve as a diaper changing station, but I guess that would be covered with other assorted baby gear and difficult to remove.

HondaSUV.com has a marketplace feature that is hooked up to several on-line vendors. You might try them, but make sure you get cancellation confirmation before ordering from another vendor.
  • Oh if you only knew how reliable the TR6 is - owned since '94, 30k miles when bought, more reliable than my Z3 and S80, driven 5k miles per year, parts readily available and inexpensive. I've probably spent less than $1000 over the past 8 years for routine maintenance. Am I lucky or what?

The diaper changing area is actually the fold flat front seat(s) - they are waterproof after all.

I reached hondacuraworld.com and most part are "in the mail"

By the way, just received the February edition of Car and Driver and there is a very favorable multipage article about the Element. The article begins: "Have you ever wondered what would happen if an automaker morphed a Hummer H2 and a Mini Cooper?" "The Verdict: HIGHS: Cargo-van flexibility, SUV convenience, dormitory capability, sports compact performance." (the article actually notes that the Element TIED the last BMW 330i they tested in skidpad performance of 0.78g) LOWS: Refrigerator styling, Rubbermaid interior, problematic side doors (they say problematic because a front seat driver/passenger has to undo his or her seat belt to allow entry to the rear seats - give me a break....) THE VERDICT: Honda know-how plus a marketing impetus equals a funky, weird and EXCELLENT HONDA."
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I'd love a TR6, though I prefer the look of the big Healeys. Just too expensive for me. :(
  • Since some folks have been posting the urls of on-line accessory dealers above, I thought this list I compiled back when I was shopping for a 2nd gen CR-V cargo cover might come in handy for others who suffer from accessoritis like me :) :) :) While I was shopping, I took down the price for the cargo cover at every on-line accessory dealer I've ever heard of, although there are undoubtedly more (please add to my list if you can). I originally posted this list on another forum back on 11/30/02, and the prices were current as of that date - however they might certainly have changed by now. Some of the prices included free shipping, but some did not, so be sure to check that when making your own comparisons. I only bothered to figure out the shipping cost on the first one listed below since they had the lowest price - at least until shipping was added that is. Disclaimer: One of the sites (it's probably better that I not say which one, although I'm sure many of you know which one it is) pays me an advertising fee to place their banner ad on one of my websites. I have no affiliation with any of the other sites.

4hondaparts.com $128.62 (plus $12.99 shipping)
    hondacuraworld.com $130.80
    handa-accessories.com $130.80
    discount-hondaparts.com $130.80
    partscheap.com $130.80
    hparts.com $134.07
    collegehillshonda.com $136.25
    fairhondapartsforyou.com $141.70
    hondaparts4you.com $141.70
    hondasuv.com aka drivah.com $144.95
    honda-parts.net $147.15
    stuff4hondas.com $179.00
    hondaautomotiveparts.com $179.18
  • I've been looking for an EX FWD 5sp in the Bay Area, but haven't been able to find one anywhere. Does anyone know if they have been released yet? I'm eager to test one.
    Jim
  • a EX 4WD with auto today and I must say it felt pretty slow. Look forward to driving a EX fwd with manual. C&D got a 8.7sec 0-60 - pretty good.