Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Heck, I like 'em both!

Maybe the next gen Accord will get a variant like that. But maybe not - Honda probably makes more profit from selling CR-Vs and Pilots.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    To me they're both going after pretty much the same customer.

Bob
    The Accord wagon would probably be better for the US market. It looks bigger, though that could just be my impression.

-juice
  • moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
    jimjps :

I hope you are right about the 107" wheelbase from the Stream applied to Element.

This may explain why Element looks good (proportionally correct) even with the large 17" wheels and tires.

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/stream/200010/20.html
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I think only Honda fans are routing for this vehicle. Several anti-Honda people I know are already carving their knives...this will be revenge for GM's Aztek jokes.
    diploid:
    Maybe so, but Honda can do no worse than the original 1983 (?) Prelude. Remember that forgettable car? Went on to become an outstanding coupe renowned for excellent handling and an overachieving four cylinder motor.....til its demise last year.

The beauty of a utilitarian vehicle is that, when all is said and done, you still have a functional vehicle.

Furthermore, while the Aztec is functional, it is not particularly attractive.
    The Element is.
    Remember it had 4-wheel steering?!

Yeah, I absolutely agree. The Element is attractive, in a quirky sort of way.
  • subzero206subzero206 Posts: 111
    the exterior design of the Element does not even compare to the Aztek, Element is much better looking. to me, it looks more like a Mercedes G500 =)
    Element will sell well, so Honda will get the last laugh. That's what counts.

Aztec took a minivan and removed utility. Element is full of utility. They are polar opposites.

-juice
    When are these coming out again?

We've actively started car shopping for my wife. Her 626 is officially up for sale.

I'm waiting to see the 2003 Forester, and I'd like to drive an Element, too. She also wants to sample Camry, Altima and Legacy sedans.

I like the CR-V, but a couple of details make me like the Element more - the lift gate, those rims, and the styling. Not to mention the price. A local no-haggle dealer has EXs for $22,800, while the Element is supposed to top out at $21k. And I hate the fact that you can't get an LX with ABS.

We require 5 speed manual, ABS, cruise, PS/PW/PL, A/C and keyless. Not mandatory but highly desirable are AWD, alloys, moonroof, heated seats, CD, and leather. Any suggestions?

-juice
    juice:
    December
    I think the 5spd awd will be a winner in price, utility, and fun to drive quotient. Kinda like a "rally van".
    Man, that is really stretching it for us. I just got a call from a potential buyer for the 626, so we may be shopping as early as next week (we're out of town this weekend).

Bummer, I think it would be cool to own something that turns heads like that.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Moonkat - That's surprizing. Are you sure about that? I wouldn't think that we'd have this much information about it if Honda weren't going to release it soon. You know how Honda can be. I was expecting (for no particular reason) a release sometime over the Summer.
    varmint;
    Regrets.
    Official Honda info and College Hills Honda site mention this. Think this is part of their quarterly release plan. Civic IMA in March; Pilot in June; 03 Accord in Sep (?), and Element in Dec.
    I wouldn't mind comparison-shopping a new Accord, either, but that too may come a bit late for us. I'm showing the 626 to a potential buyer tomorrow, and the wife wants to go car shopping next Wednesday.

-juice
    I suppose Honda can afford to release more information regarding the Element since it doesn't compete directly with anything else in the lineup (not like the 2002 CR-V vs the 2001 model).

However, the same applies to the Pilot. My spy article is based on seeing one in a dealer's lot and Honda didn't release any specs until yesterday. I'll never understand marketing... :(
  • denise31denise31 Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if you have to open the front door to the element in order to open the 2nd door?
    also, will the element have power doors and locks? what about colors? navigation system?
    I'm pretty sure the front doors would have to be opened prior to getting the rear doors to open. At least that's how it's always been with trucks and full-size vans.

As for colors, I'm really hoping that it comes in a monochromatic scheme. I'm too conservative for the 2-color theme that they have going on.
    if anyone gets a chance, please check out www.hondanews.com and look at the model X, to me the model X looks larger and the doors look different. Will there be a model X and an element, or just a element?
    varmint: Pilot looks to be a serious contender. I saw one in person at the NY show and I was even more impressed after seeing it in person.

OK, one nit-pick: it could use bigger rims/tires.

Denise: yes, you have to open the front door first. The rear door is clever, though, and hides its hinges. The pockets in the front door allow you to stuff, say, a wet bathing suit in there, and they have drain holes for the water. Lots of clever touches like that.

Nav at that price? Doubt it. You could always add one aftermarket, many people do.

Model X was the concept, the Element is the production version. Actually, what we saw in NY was a pre-production version, but that's closer to how it'll really look.

-juice
    i got the information on the navigation system for the 2003 honda element (model x ) at www.hondacars.com/modelx/pressrelease2.html

Interior features include a flip-up navigation screen with integrated wireless Internet capability, video input and DVD playback. The stereo system incudes MP3 download and playback capability, along with satellite radio, cassette and CD player
    cross your fingers let's hope that all of these things are still there at the release date!!!!
    Oh well, even if they are not there, thanks for the info.....let's still continue to share updates.
    Really? Wow. I bet it's not included for $21k, then again I've been wrong before.

-juice
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Does anyone know the exterior and interior dimensions of the Element? Let me know, thanks.
    Bigdaddycoats - Honda hasn't released dimensions, yet.

Ropedart - You may be right about the moonroof. The concept car was supposed to be part dorm room after all. Of course, it'll only work with the windows tinted.

The rear facing front seat was a feature on the concept vehicle. The front and back of the back rests were both padded and the whole thing pivoted on a joint mounted to the floor. This allowed the seat cushion to stay in place, while the seat back folded forward. Then the seat could be used in reverse. It did not make production. Note the difference between the Model X and the Element.

ropedart:
    Thanks for the dims, ehh! Translated to 'American' below:

"I would like to know also but Model X was according to motorshow.or.jp in mm."
    ..................ELEMENT......CRV
    L=4085mm..=...160.83in....178.6in
    W=1810....=.....71.26........70.2
    H=1800....=.....70.87........66.2
    wb=259....=....102..........103.1
    "These are quite close to CRV dimensions as it has same mechs. Except X is 500mm shorter. Mag-X accurately predicted AWD CRV mechs."

Glad to see greater width and height, but disappointed at shorter wheelbase and length. Even with these dimension, looks like Element may be similar volume to CR-V. I was hoping for the 'Stream' 106in wheelbase. Oh well, we shall see.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    Unless there is a typo, 160" isn't very close to 178.6". That's a world of difference, as there should be.
    I'm sure you meant beach balls, right? This is a family site. ;-)

I saw it in person and it certainly didn't look like it was 160" long. I would have noticed such an enormous difference. I bet Mag X missed the mark this time, it's probably more like 175".

-juice
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,841
    Heh, missed that! (gone now ).

Carry on...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.